Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 12:28   #10321
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Means I have to install a third party app to make video calls on phones costing above 30k? Ridiculous..
This is not possible even with 3rd party apps. 3G-324M is now discouraged by most carriers and not supported in most hardware (E.g. hardware in iPhone, Windows Phone and chipsets used in US based vendors).

Details : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G-324M
Old 6th March 2014, 23:00   #10322
Senior - BHPian

Was seriously looking at the MOTO G as a replacement for my blackberry since my office folks have changed our mail server from outlook to IBM notes. But I have come across quite a few negative reviews in flip kart talking about blank screens and phone hanging, replacements etc.
i have had a horrible experience with my earlier android phone- a sony Ericsson Experia and I'm a little apprehensive after hearing these reviews. I just want to use the mobile primarily for emails and the IT folks in my office mentioned that android works the best with lotus notes. I have a iPhone 5 for my personal use and hence not looking at any functionality beyond emails. Is anyone using any windows phone for lotus notes? I just get a feeling that the windows phone might turn out a nit more reliable than the android phones..
Any suggestions please?
Old 7th March 2014, 11:41   #10323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Was seriously looking at the MOTO G as a replacement for my blackberry since my office folks have changed our mail server from outlook to IBM notes. But I have come across quite a few negative reviews in flip kart talking about blank screens and phone hanging, replacements etc.
i have had a horrible experience with my earlier android phone- a sony Ericsson Experia and I'm a little apprehensive after hearing these reviews. I just want to use the mobile primarily for emails and the IT folks in my office mentioned that android works the best with lotus notes. I have a iPhone 5 for my personal use and hence not looking at any functionality beyond emails. Is anyone using any windows phone for lotus notes? I just get a feeling that the windows phone might turn out a nit more reliable than the android phones..
Any suggestions please?
I have two Moto G's in the family and 2 Andorid's and one Windows Lumia. Also, in my previous company where our mail server was on Lotus notes, had installed the apk file on my Galaxy S3 and b4 that on S1. The lotus notes worked like charm on Android.

On how good the Moto G is - Have one US global version and one India Version. Both phones run butter smooth on Kit Kat and are extremely responsive even in comparison to Galaxy S3. Well, i'd suggest you look at the ratio of +ve feedback to -ve feedback on Flipkart. I suppose the 5 star ratings is 5 K plus and the -ve ones are less than 200 and that too most of them blaming flipkart for delay in shipping and attitude of delivery boy. So, I suppose you need not worry on the same. Also, you have a 7 day return policy with Flipkart. Any defective hand set can be returned.

Lotus Notes on Windows Phone - Not used it but, will like to share that the phone I have is Lumia 520 and for the hardware spec's, the phone is quite fast. On the negative side, I still feel iOS and Android and are least 2 to 3 generations ahead of Windows 8. Maybe 8.1 will bridge the gap.

So, I suggest 16 GB moto g will be a safe bet given the options on hardware / software in the market and of course the price point.

Cheers
Old 7th March 2014, 22:28   #10324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I have two Moto G's in the family and 2 Andorid's and one Windows Lumia. Also, in my previous company where our mail server was on Lotus notes, had installed the apk file on my Galaxy S3 and b4 that on S1. The lotus notes worked like charm on Android.

On how good the Moto G is - Have one US global version and one India Version. Both phones run butter smooth on Kit Kat and are extremely responsive even in comparison to Galaxy S3. Well, i'd suggest you look at the ratio of +ve feedback to -ve feedback on Flipkart. I suppose the 5 star ratings is 5 K plus and the -ve ones are less than 200 and that too most of them blaming flipkart for delay in shipping and attitude of delivery boy. So, I suppose you need not worry on the same. Also, you have a 7 day return policy with Flipkart. Any defective hand set can be returned.

Lotus Notes on Windows Phone - Not used it but, will like to share that the phone I have is Lumia 520 and for the hardware spec's, the phone is quite fast. On the negative side, I still feel iOS and Android and are least 2 to 3 generations ahead of Windows 8. Maybe 8.1 will bridge the gap.

So, I suggest 16 GB moto g will be a safe bet given the options on hardware / software in the market and of course the price point.

Cheers

Thanks a ton for your feedback. After reading many reviews about the moto g, I have almost made up my mind. I just might get the 8 GB version since I have no intention of storing any files in the phone and nor any apps as .
well.
Old 9th March 2014, 04:55   #10325
Senior - BHPian

Whts the cheapest nokia phone that can store multiple alarms? I fly every week and need a robust/reliable way to wake up in the lounge. Chennai airport isnt delhi airport where the attendants will give a damn about you! :(
Old 9th March 2014, 22:01   #10326
BHPian

So finally laid my hands on the much awaited Nokia X

First impressions are quite good, but the touch feel is lacking.
Have rooted the phone and installed Google apps. Looking forward for CM11
Enjoy the pics till then!

PS: Nokia Build quality is back!

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-img_20140309_214023.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-img_20140309_214031.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-img_20140309_214054.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-img_20140309_214124.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-img_20140309_214137.jpg  

Old 9th March 2014, 22:23   #10327
BHPian

@ member

sorry for the ignorance but can you tell me the price of this phone? plus what does the stock UI look like... if possible please put up a few pics!
Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 07:58   #10328
BANNED

hey guys, happy holi... !!

anyone been to the market lately ? what's the best street price of the Galaxy Grand 2 ?
Old 16th March 2014, 09:11   #10329
BHPian

Hi guys,

I took advantage of the 10℅ cash back offer on flipkart and ordered the 16gb version of Moto G.

As I understand, this comes installed with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean but Android 4.4 Kitkat is already available for download.

Now I've read that this update is not stable and has some issues, etc.

So need the correct advise from you guys... Whether I should go ahead with this update or give it a miss for now.
Old 16th March 2014, 10:09   #10330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi guys,
As I understand, this comes installed with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean but Android 4.4 Kitkat is already available for download.
4.2.2 comes preinstalled and it is stable.
Old 16th March 2014, 10:58   #10331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
But this is what flipkart says...

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-motog.jpg
Old 16th March 2014, 13:52   #10332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
No, The moto G comes with Android 4.3 out of the box.

Quote:

Now I've read that this update is not stable and has some issues, etc.

So need the correct advise from you guys... Whether I should go ahead with this update or give it a miss for now.
The International GSM version had some problems with the Kitkat update, like USB OTG not working, signal dropping, etc but the Indian version(XT 1033) seems to be pretty stable.

Only a very few people seem to be reporting a camera error, which disappears after a reboot. So yes, you can safely update to 4.4 on your moto G.

Quote:
But this is what flipkart says...
And Flipkart is right!
Old 16th March 2014, 14:43   #10333
BHPian

Guys help me choose between the Moto G, Lumia 625 and the Z10.

It is for my mum, and is going to be her first touchphone. Usage will be Calls, Email and a decent camera.
Old 17th March 2014, 12:35   #10334
BHPian

Re: Who uses CDMA @ TeamBhp

Yeah, I'm one happy CDMA customer using Reliance as the carrier for about 10 years now.
Despite the unavailability of good handsets, I'm still holding on to it for the following reasons:
1. Works at an 800 MHz operating frequency which is safer compared to the GSMs. (I also own a Galaxy S2 running custom ROM: CyanFox, on Airtel).
2. Connectivity doesn't drop anywhere, even in elevators.
3. Call rates are damn cheap (Reliance specific).
4. Most importantly, 3-way-call-conferencing is free.
5. USB/Bluetooth tethering is decent enough.

Only drawback:
Unavailability of good handsets.

But now, I think I'll go and pick up the Moto G as mentioned by the good fellas above.

Cheers!
Old 17th March 2014, 22:49   #10335
Senior - BHPian

Yet again in a dilemma! Almost finalised the moto G to replace my official blackberry, intend to use it primarily for my office emails thru lotus notes. But many users are reporting issues in the moto g and my past experience with android had been quite bad as well. Hence considering the Nokia lumia 525. Is windows really that bad as people make it out to be? I have not used windows OS as yet and some people mention that it is a little behind android in terms of overall user experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks