Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2013, 20:56   #10231
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
I had got my micro sim from Airtel. They charged me 50/- for home delivery of the Sim. Else it's free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Nokia is using micro SIM in their newer models, especially Lumia series.

I would loose the flexibility of putting my SIM in another handset or another SIM in my handset.

Rohan
Hello there,

I have bought a phone that needs micro sim.

Presently I have a phone with normal sim.

Since you have gone through it I want to ask you, and all, how should I go about getting the micro sim (for the same No.).

Can I later put the micro sim into my first (normal) phone, with an adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by skdking : 12th December 2013 at 21:02.
Old 13th December 2013, 07:26   #10232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Presently I have a phone with normal sim.
Since you have gone through it I want to ask you, and all, how should I go about getting the micro sim (for the same No.).
If your service provide a 1-1 exchange (standard SIM to micro SIM), you can go with that. Alternately, there should be shops who help in SIM cutting at a nominal fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking
Can I later put the micro sim into my first (normal) phone, with an adapter?
Of course you can do that. Infact right now in my Lumia 625, I have a nano SIM embedded in a micro SIM adapter, and my backup phone (which takes a standard SIM) has a micro SIM with an adapter.
Old 15th December 2013, 12:48   #10233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello there,

Folks,

Forgot to mention that I had a Micromax Canvas Turbo delivered by Flipkart for 17079/-.

One day delivery.

All tickety boo. The phone appears good prima facie.

Last edited by skdking : 15th December 2013 at 12:50.
Old 15th December 2013, 12:53   #10234
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please suggest me a good phone between 15k to 20k. This is for my sister in law.

Priorities are -

1) Has to be Android.
2) Good camera quality.
3) Decent screen size.
4) Reputed manufacturer like Samsung, Sony, HTC, etc.

In other words, I would prefer a phone which offers the best camera and largest screen within 15 to 20k. By large screens, I do not mean the 5" and above ones as that would be cumbersome to carry!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 15th December 2013 at 12:55.
Old 15th December 2013, 12:58   #10235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, please suggest me a good phone between 15k to 20k. This is for my sister in law.

Priorities are -

1) Has to be Android.
2) Good camera quality.
3) Decent screen size.

In other words, I would prefer a phone which offers the best camera and largest screen within 15 to 20k. By large screens, I do not mean the 5" and above ones as that would be cumbersome to carry!
I've found the Xolo brand to be surprisingly good. At this price bracket, they offer features that are usually found on 25-30k phones. Build quality is pretty good too.
Old 15th December 2013, 14:14   #10236
BHPian

I will suggest Nexus 4. Perfectly suits your requirements.
Old 15th December 2013, 18:38   #10237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I've found the Xolo brand to be surprisingly good. At this price bracket, they offer features that are usually found on 25-30k phones. Build quality is pretty good too.
You missed out on priority #4. My sis in law is brand conscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I will suggest Nexus 4. Perfectly suits your requirements.
Nexus 4 was my first choice. But it costs about 23-26k which is above my budget.

Guys, any opinion on the Lenovo P780? I am getting one for 16-17k. It has a good display as well as a decent camera. It looks great IMHO.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-lenovotabletideatabp780front8.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-lenovotabletideatabp780frontback1.jpg

My second option is the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. It is available at about 20-21k. For the same price as the Lenovo, I am getting the Samsung Grand Duos but I am avoiding it because of it's poor display and Broadcomm processor. I am personally not a big fan of Samsungs because I dont like the way they look and feel. No offence to owners. But after the price slash, the S4 mini makes a good case for itself.

My last option is the Sony Xperia C. The only reason I am shying away from it is because it has an inferior display compared to the S4 mini. But then, the S4 mini has a smaller display when compared to the 5" screen of the Xperia C.
Old 15th December 2013, 21:58   #10238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

You missed out on priority #4. My sis in law is brand conscious.

Nexus 4 was my first choice. But it costs about 23-26k which is above my budget.

Guys, any opinion on the Lenovo P780? I am getting one for 16-17k. It has a good display as well as a decent camera. It looks great IMHO.
My sister bought a Lenovo P780 2 weeks back and she is enjoying every aspect of it.

I am using Samsung since 3 years now and I can assure you that my next phone will *not* be a Samsung!!

My vote goes to Lenovo and Nokia Lumia. Windows 8 is too good to ignore.

Android on the Lenovo runs more smooth than Samsung.
Old 15th December 2013, 22:46   #10239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
My sister bought a Lenovo P780 2 weeks back and she is enjoying every aspect of it.

I am using Samsung since 3 years now and I can assure you that my next phone will *not* be a Samsung!!

Me too. Using a S3 for a while, and my friend bought a Xolo 800 and 1000. Both are so great that I will try a no brand phone next.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:10   #10240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the positive feedback on the Lenovo. Its re-assuring.

I recently tried a Windows phone and frankly did not like it as much as the Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Me too. Using a S3 for a while, and my friend bought a Xolo 800 and 1000. Both are so great that I will try a no brand phone next.
My sis-n-law does not want anything apart from the regular Sony, Samsung and HTC. I am convincing her for Lenovo. Xolo is out of question!
Old 16th December 2013, 19:56   #10241
BHPian

Hi All-

Is anyone using Nokia Asha 302?

My mum is using it since 4 months and there seems to be an inherent flaw in the device. At least thats what was conveyed to her by the Nokia Service Centre in Baroda, Gujarat.

The issue comes to fore while using WhatsApp. Though we have a wifi connection back home, the Nokia always tries to connect to internet when the phone is not using wifi.

There seems to be no way to *simply disable* all internet access once she steps out of home.

Her balance goes for a toss as WhatsApp tries to make an internet connection everytime she is not connected to wifi.

The service centre people asked her not to use WhatsApp if she wanted to get rid of this issue.

If that's the only solution, then I can understand why Nokia went bankrupt!!

My requirement is pretty simple -

1. Turn off *all* data connections when stepping out of the house.

2. Turn on and connect to wifi as soon as its in range to be able to connect to Whatsapp.

My wife uses a Nokia E71 since December 2008, and her phone has the ability to switch off/on all/any data connections at will!!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 16th December 2013 at 20:12.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:56   #10242
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All-

Is anyone using Nokia Asha 302?

My mum is using it since 4 months and there seems to be an inherent flaw in the device. At least thats what was conveyed to her by the Nokia Service Centre in Baroda, Gujarat.

The issue comes to fore while using WhatsApp. Though we have a wifi connection back home, the Nokia always tries to connect to internet when the phone is not using wifi.

There seems to be no way to *simply disable* all internet access once she steps out of home.

Her balance goes for a toss as WhatsApp tries to make an internet connection everytime she is not connected to wifi.

The service centre people asked her not to use WhatsApp if she wanted to get rid of this issue.

If that's the only solution, then I can understand why Nokia went bankrupt!!

My requirement is pretty simple -

1. Turn off *all* data connections when stepping out of the house.

2. Turn on and connect to wifi as soon as its in range to be able to connect to Whatsapp.

My wife uses a Nokia E71 since December 2008, and her phone has the ability to switch off/on all/any data connections at will!!
There's a solution : Delete all of the access points i.e. Vodafone mobile connect, Vodafone live, Airtel live, etc.
That way your phone won't have a connection to use when it's outside wifi range.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:43   #10243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post

There's a solution : Delete all of the access points i.e. Vodafone mobile connect, Vodafone live, Airtel live, etc.
That way your phone won't have a connection to use when it's outside wifi range.
Sadly, we had tried that earlier but the Access Points had resurfaced (not sure how as the phone is 1500 kms away). After that I had suggested her to visit the Mobile Operator and get all data plans deactivated, which was done on Saturday (14th Dec).

The "E" symbol vanished, only to reappear after 3 hours. There were no active data plans and the balance started reducing pretty fast. 60/- deducted in 3 hrs flat!!

Today she visited Nokia Service Centre and they factory-reset her phone and asked her not to use WhatsApp, as that's the only solution in their opinion!!!

I am still not buying their theory, but have no other option as I am unable to lay my hands on the phone.

I have googled this before and all blogs have led me to a dead end!
Old 16th December 2013, 22:54   #10244
BHPian

Quote:

The "E" symbol vanished, only to reappear after 3 hours. There were.no active data plans and the balance started reducing pretty fast. 60/- deducted in 3 hrs flat!!
I own a Nokia x2-00 (series 40 no touch, full keypad) I have a few suggestions, hope they are helpful:

In the permissions of whatsapp, for network access, select ask every time/ ask first time.

In settings -> connectivity -> packet data, select connection when needed.

And when you have wifi, connect to it, and make whatsapp perform a dummy operation like check for updates and cancel when it connects.

This should help, but note that the wordings and placements of these options may not be the same.

Last edited by amolbh : 16th December 2013 at 23:03. Reason: Added arrows to indicate menu structure.
Old 17th December 2013, 00:26   #10245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sadly, we had tried that earlier but the Access Points had resurfaced (not sure how as the phone is 1500 kms away). After that I had suggested her to visit the Mobile Operator and get all data plans deactivated, which was done on Saturday (14th Dec).

The "E" symbol vanished, only to reappear after 3 hours. There were no active data plans and the balance started reducing pretty fast. 60/- deducted in 3 hrs flat!!

Today she visited Nokia Service Centre and they factory-reset her phone and asked her not to use WhatsApp, as that's the only solution in their opinion!!!

I am still not buying their theory, but have no other option as I am unable to lay my hands on the phone.

I have googled this before and all blogs have led me to a dead end!
If nothing is helping, then get a monthly 2g pack, so that you don't end up wasting your balance everytime you disconnect wifi. Can't think of any other solution as of now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks