Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 10:41   #10261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Lenovo phones.
S960 and P780

Checked the reviews and they say there is a slight sluggishness when opening apps and playing games. How significant it is?
Has anybody used the S960?
Which one do you people suggest.

When browsing through this thread, came across Xolo Q3000, how good is this? What about service centre availability?
Have you tried out the Sony Xperia Z or ZR? With 2gb ram there is no stutter or lag. In fact anything else with 2gb ram would be good too.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:24   #10262
Lij
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
For us S960 is very stylish, sleek and light weight. This is what all girls like.
Checked the reviews and they say there is a slight sluggishness when opening apps and playing games. How significant it is?
Has anybody used the S960?
I had almost finalized on this phone for wifey when I checked it out in the stores, with 2 GB RAM, 5 inch display @ 441 ppi, Quad-core clocked at 1.5 GHz.
But then when I checked the reviews even I found many of the users complaining it to be sluggish.
It could be due to the chipset, Mediatek MT6589T.
If this is the case then even other phones using the same chipset could be a bit sluggish.
I liked the reviews of Huawei Ascend P6, available in India in singlr sim version. But not available with any of the retail stores so put it on hold as of now. It also has planned an update to Kitkat and updates can be downloaded from www.huaweinews.com

Below is a comparison of S960 and P6 on gsmarena -
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5467
Old 21st January 2014, 14:21   #10263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
bought a Lenovo P780 for my sis-in-law.
In short, its an excellent phone for the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Lenovo P780 2 weeks back
Android on the Lenovo runs more smooth than Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@ Sushil, I am using the P780, in fact typing from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
The display is much better in sunlight than how people have written in their feedback online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Lenovo P780 - 8gb for my wife from Lenovo shop. .
Hi guys, I am considering Lenovo P780 for my mom. Any bugs / issues surfaced since you purchased this phone? Does Lenovo UI lag? This will be her first Android / Smartphone.
Old 21st January 2014, 14:37   #10264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Hi guys, I am considering Lenovo P780 for my mom. Any bugs / issues surfaced since you purchased this phone? Does Lenovo UI lag? This will be her first Android / Smartphone.
You have answered it yourself by quoting multiple posts

I haven't used an iPhone yet, so my comment excludes it; however, whether your phone lags or not depends on what you have on it, and how much. I am using a Samsung Grand since Feb 2013, and it exhibits a lag if the data is being fetched from an application that's installed on an external SD card. If the IO operation happens on the local memory, no consistent lag is to be seen.

Sometimes there is a lag while trying to share an image, where it opens up at least 10 apps using which I can share, etc. Sometimes there is lag while launching the camera app, again, I store my images on an external SD card, hence, memory read requires more time (you can use a higher "class" card to eliminate this, though not sure by how much).

Also, Samsung's UI is known to be heavier when compared to other manufacturer's UIs like HTC, Lenovo, etc. A bulky UI results in more processes running all the time, which you can't stop without rooting the phone (at least that is what I know).

I have said it earlier, and will say again; my next phone will not be a Samsung.

On the other hand, I have dropped the Grand atleast thrice in a way that the battery and flip cover were detached from the phone; however, there are no issues with the phone's performance. I can't speculate the same for any other manufacturer, be it Lenovo, LG or HTC. Time will tell.

It's about a month since my wife got a Xolo Q3000; absolute superb performance is what I can say.

To answer your query in a nutshell; go ahead and buy a Lenovo. I am sure you won't regret.

I always play around with a phone for a considerable amount of time before going ahead and buying it. If you can do that too before paying up for one, nothing like that. Check a demo piece anywhere and then buy from your favorite vendor.

And one tip for your mum - Teach her how to lock the phone before you explain to her the other features! This will prevent unnecessary touch inputs when she is not using the device.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 21st January 2014 at 14:40.
Old 21st January 2014, 14:39   #10265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Lenovo P780 is really good phone.
My wife did not find any lag in UI or any application.
Video quality is good. Audio quality is just OK when phone speaker used but with earphones and Aux out to car its descent.
Battery life is really good. It works almost 1.5 - 2 days with 2 sims, 1hr video, 1-2 hrs 3g and 5-6 hrs of wifi usage.

It will take a while to get used to such big phone and you keep in mind that phone grip is not as good as other (samsung/nokia) smartphones. So go for cover for better grip.

You will not regret with Lenovo P780 purchase. Its really value for money.

Cheers!
Old 21st January 2014, 15:08   #10266
Lij
BHPian

Motorola planning to launch Moto G in India sometime this week through online stores -

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_rep...-news-7617.php

But 15 - 16K for dual sim 8 GB is a bit on the higher side I guess. I thought they would sell 16 GB in that price range.
Old 24th January 2014, 09:33   #10267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Have you tried out the Sony Xperia Z or ZR? With 2gb ram there is no stutter or lag. In fact anything else with 2gb ram would be good too.
For some reason, wifey is against Sony. She doesnt even walk to its counter to look at the demo pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
I had almost finalized on this phone for wifey when I checked it out in the stores, with 2 GB RAM, 5 inch display @ 441 ppi, Quad-core clocked at 1.5 GHz.
But then when I checked the reviews even I found many of the users complaining it to be sluggish.
It could be due to the chipset, Mediatek MT6589T.
If this is the case then even other phones using the same chipset could be a bit sluggish.
I liked the reviews of Huawei Ascend P6, available in India in singlr sim version. But not available with any of the retail stores so put it on hold as of now. It also has planned an update to Kitkat and updates can be downloaded from www.huaweinews.com

Below is a comparison of S960 and P6 on gsmarena -
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5467
The guy at the store recommended to go for the S960 for my wife and P780 for me. Better battery life if using in Office.
Are you people buying the P780 only because of the big battery or cheap than S960?
Old 24th January 2014, 09:57   #10268
BHPian

I was a dedicated Android user in the past and brought my first Nokia 820 last year. Since then,I have brought a 520 for my Wifey and picked another 625 for my Dad.
The performance is pretty neat and I found it to be hassle free.
BTW,Nokia has released the 525 which is available in the below 10k bracket.
The only difference between the 520 and the 525 is the extra RAM.
Take a look at these options. I love the features on these phones. This feedback is coming from an ardent Android/Apple fan
Old 24th January 2014, 10:17   #10269
BHPian

Quote:
Are you people buying the P780 only because of the big battery or cheap than S960?
I bought mine for the 4000 mAh Battery, and pretty happy with it. The S960 has one advantage, - The Gorilla Glass, but battery is only 2000 mAh.

There is also the Xolo Q3000, also with 4000 mAH. if you want an option to the P780.
Old 24th January 2014, 13:09   #10270
BHPian

Quote:
I bought mine for the 4000 mAh Battery, and pretty happy with it. The S960 has one advantage, - The Gorilla Glass, but battery is only 2000 mAh.

There is also the Xolo Q3000, also with 4000 mAH. if you want an option to the P780.
Wifey is inclined towards the stylish and slim S960. So how is the performance between P780 and S960. I am not concerned about the battery life, since she is the homemaker.

Xolo, have not seen this brand much in the stores. How about the recognition and service centres.
Old 24th January 2014, 17:30   #10271
BANNED

Thanks Guys,
Got the Lumia 625 for mom. It seemed good enough for her usage and within our budget.
So we finally decided not to go for Lenovo P780 - Service centres not in the vicinity was also a concern. We have a few nokia service centers around.

I got a Htc Desire 501 for myself!!
Old 25th January 2014, 01:50   #10272
BHPian

Quote:
Wifey is inclined towards the stylish and slim S960. So how is the performance between P780 and S960. I am not concerned about the battery life, since she is the homemaker.

Xolo, have not seen this brand much in the stores. How about the recognition and service centres.
In that case buy her the S960.

Xolo is on par with micromax, got my dad a xolo. He is happy with it.
Old 25th January 2014, 11:09   #10273
BHPian

Quote:
In that case buy her the S960.

Xolo is on par with micromax, got my dad a xolo. He is happy with it.
I am still not getting what I wanted.
Is the performance same with P780 and S960?
Is the performance superior in Xolo when compared with the above 2 models?

Performance comes first, then the oomph factor.
Old 25th January 2014, 20:20   #10274
BHPian

S960 has better spec, 2GB Ram and higher internal space. These are my gripe areas in the P780
Old 25th January 2014, 23:55   #10275
BHPian

Ordered an LG Optimus G (E970 - Unlocked AT&T phone) from EBay Global Buy today for my sister using the 2K off coupon 26REPUBLIC @ 13.5K. This model is comparable to Nexus 4 (E960 - basically E970 is E960 with a SD card slot) and close enough to E975 which is sold in India. The price after discount was tempting & hence bought it!

Approximately 2 weeks needed for delivery since it has to be shipped from USA. Customs charges? I dont know & hope to get lucky.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks