Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 13:20   #10396
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Has anyone in this forum used a Sony Xperia Z1 or Z1 compact? I am confused between Xperia Z1 and Nexus 5. Please help!
I was in the same boat as you are and decided to go for the Nexus 5 purely for the stock experience. I wanted a OS that is lag free and has a good screen.

It is down to personal preference. Go for the UI which makes you more comfortable. Both phones have pros and cons
Old 30th April 2014, 15:29   #10397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I was in the same boat as you are and decided to go for the Nexus 5 purely for the stock experience. I wanted a OS that is lag free and has a good screen.

It is down to personal preference. Go for the UI which makes you more comfortable. Both phones have pros and cons
Ordered nexus 5 though I preferred Z1/Z1 compact. Cost difference being the main reason for this decision.
Old 13th May 2014, 11:46   #10398
Oxy
BHPian

How good is this new phone from Karbonn called the Titanium Hexa going to be? It's got some great specs:

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00J...d_i=1320006031
  • 13MP primary camera with LED flash, auto focus, full HD video recording, touch focus, face and smile detection, geotagging, panorama and 5MP front facing camera.
  • 5.5-inch LTPS LCD touchscreen with 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution and 16M color support.
  • Android v4.4.2 KitKat operating system with 1.5GHz MT6591 hexa core processor (six cores), 2GB RAM and 16GB internal memory expandable up to 32GB.
  • 2050mAH battery.
But for a Karbonn, it's pretty expensive - Priced at Rs.16,990.

Considering I can get an Iphone 4 (8 GB) or the Blackberry Z10 for almost the same price (additional Rs.1000), is this one really going to be worth it? What do you guys think?
Old 13th May 2014, 13:47   #10399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
How good is this new phone from Karbonn called the Titanium Hexa going to be? It's got some great specs:
Brings back memories of when we had set on to buy a Lenovo P780, but instead bought a newly launched Xolo Q3000.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3342012

http://www.xolo.in/q3000#

How good is it; for me - I don't have any games on my mobile phones; so a brief 15 min hands on at the retail outlet gives me an approximation of the device's performance. However, this device isn't retailing at nearby stores, so that option gets ruled out.

Also, in my opinion, it is not overpriced. Mobiles priced in excess of 22k are disappearing off shelves at the drop of a hat nowadays. If I was to quote my example - I had picked up a Grand in Feb 2013 for INR 22,500. We picked up a Xolo Q3000 for my wife in Jan 2014 for INR 19,000. If I was to look for the inherent features of Xolo in a Samsung, it would atleast cost me INR 30,000.

As of today, the Xolo Q3000 out-performs my Galaxy Grand altleast 95% of the times; and I can definitely say that I have maintained the Grand pretty well.

The comparatively low sound issue in Xolo was also taken care of once I was able to get hold of it's Engineering parameters and further fine tuning them.

Unless you give it a try, you won't get a clear picture.

Quote:
Considering I can get an Iphone 4 (8 GB) or the Blackberry Z10 for almost the same price (additional Rs.1000), is this one really going to be worth it? What do you guys think?
They may cost the same, however, they are old-tech. Much latest products from their stables are already available in the market. The 2 phones you have mentioned above are more suitable as secondary phones (again, my personal opinion). If we are talking about Primary phones, then in today's scenario, both of them are pretty out-dated. At the most, they can be used as a stop gap arrangement.

Also, the technology is evolving at such rapid pace that I would prefer buying a mobile phone every 18 months, costing anything between INR 15,000 and 20,000, rather than plonking 25 to 30k at once and then seeing all latest handsets go by.

One disappointment I see with this phone is - the battery is a 2050 mAh. The battery needs to be in the range of 3500 mAh.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 13th May 2014 at 14:00.
Old 13th May 2014, 15:54   #10400
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Brings back memories of when we had set on to buy a Lenovo P780, but instead bought a newly launched Xolo Q3000.
Thanks a ton for the elaborate reply. Helped a lot.

On second thoughts, the Moto E is scheduled to launch at midnight for Rs.6999, and it looks like a great device at this price.

http://www.flipkart.com/motorola/mot...banner_0_image

So I think I will pick this up for now and use it for about a year, then will splurge on a more expensive phone.

I have never bought a phone for over 10k ever, so spending 17k on a Karbonn feels very unconvincing, but that's just me.

Last edited by Oxy : 13th May 2014 at 15:58.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:19   #10401
BHPian

Quote:
I have never bought a phone for over 10k ever, so spending 17k on a Karbonn feels very unconvincing, but that's just me.
Yes, you are correct. Not too long ago, this was the starting salary for a fresher. At that time nobody would have imagined in their wildest dreams that buying mobiles worth 20k or more would be a norm for many.

Then the masses also got exposed to a barrage of Credit Cards and associated EMIs, which made owning a high end mobile even easier.

It was the 5-inch screen that pulled me into buying a Grand! If my memory serves me right, Grand was the first mobile in the market to sport a 5-inch screen and priced below 25k.

I have always heard good things about the iOS, but have resisted from buying an Apple just because it doesn't sport a 5-incher. And if the rumours are true, this time we are going to see a 5-inch screen from Apple, however, I am not to optimistic about buying one simply because it would most probably be priced upwards of 55 to 60k for a 32 GB spec.
Old 18th May 2014, 11:45   #10402
BHPian

Guys,

My galaxy S2 front panel developed a crack today after a fall. Can you let me know an approx cost for the front panel replacement.
Old 18th May 2014, 14:21   #10403
BHPian

My Nexus 5 gone kaput yesterday, bought this Feb. All of a sudden it doesnt turn on or charge? Tried all steps suggested online to no avail.
Gave it to LG service, and as usual got the standard response. Water seepage. I could find water traces on the board where the camera and ear pieces are. And not sure if this was the reason for not powering on.
The guy quoted Rs. 7100 for the board. When I said No, he suggested to wait till Monday and they would check if the phone works again by just cleaning and I can claim warranty. If its mandate to change the part, then need to shell out money.

Fingers crossed!!!
Old 18th May 2014, 17:12   #10404
BHPian

Check this Gionee M2 phone with 5 inch screen, dual-sim, quad core, 1GB & 4200 mah battery @ <10K on eBay.in
http://www.ebay.in/itm/181410874966
PS: use MOBIKWIK01 for 1K discount

I personally feel this is an awesome phone at this price at the moment.
Old 19th May 2014, 16:42   #10405
SBR
BHPian

BHpians,

I am looking at a budget smart phone. My requirements are;

Decent rear camera (5 MP Minimum) and Front camera enough to make Skype Video Calls
Access Outlook emails (My official emails)
Access Whats App, Team BHP
Battery Back up for a day with medium to heavy usage
Durable - It should last for at least 2+ years
Good Phone Book Memory as I have a huge number of business contacts to store in my phone

Points 1, 2 & 6 are important.

Budget - Max 7K and can stretch by 1 or 2K more if required.

I could only come across Xolo a500s for 6.5K but I am not comfortable with the brand. I have always been using Nokia phones for self and Samsung for Wifey.

Any suggestions
Old 21st May 2014, 12:40   #10406
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
BHpians,

Decent rear camera (5 MP Minimum) and Front camera enough to make Skype Video Calls
Good Phone Book Memory as I have a huge number of business contacts to store in my phone

I could only come across Xolo a500s for 6.5K but I am not comfortable with the brand. I have always been using Nokia phones for self and Samsung for Wifey.

Any suggestions
Your only option is the Samsung Grand Duos 2.

Last edited by Oxy : 21st May 2014 at 12:42.
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:48   #10407
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Your only option is the Samsung Grand Duos 2.
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 Duos is retailing at INR 19,499/- in flipkart which is way beyond my budget.

Samsung Galaxy S Duos is available for INR 8799/- in flipkart. I am considering Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SiM for 11199/- but it does not have a front camera. Apparently, it is a good phone for accessing official emails which is a must for my usage.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:06   #10408
BHPian

Quote:
BHpians,

Any suggestions
If front camera was not on your list, then the Moto E could have been the perfect phone for you at Rs.6999.
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:09   #10409
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 Duos is retailing at INR 19,499/- in flipkart which is way beyond my budget.
Not really.

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-gala...8-e882c435cd06

http://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy-...0737027&sr=1-1

If you can spend 10k, then get the Sony Xperia M.

http://www.amazon.in/Sony-Xperia-Sin...ds=Sony+Xperia

Last edited by Oxy : 22nd May 2014 at 11:12.
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:16   #10410
BHPian

Quote:

Samsung Galaxy S Duos is available for INR 8799/- in flipkart. I am considering Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SiM for 11199/- but it does not have a front camera. Apparently, it is a good phone for accessing official emails which is a must for my usage.
I'd strongly recommend to stay away from any low end andriod phone with manufacturer customization as they will lag. Andriod is optimized to be used with the top end hardware. For your price range Lumia 630/Moto G is a good buy. If you really need a front facing camera then spend more and get a better phone

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks