Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2023, 18:44   #11956
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRod_24 View Post
Hi all, needed advice on whether it's a good idea to buy a phone from Dubai and get it back to India. The phone I am looking at is either the Samsung S23 plus or the S23 ultra both are cheaper in Dubai.
There is absolutely no issue in buying High range Samsungs and iPhones from Dubai or any country in the Middle East, they should work perfectly fine here! All the Phones I have bought have been from Oman and are still working perfectly fine.

The only issues arise in the case of carrier-locked phones, mostly in the US and Europe.

Do make sure it has an international warranty too!, even if it doesn't It isn't going to be much of an issue as Phones don't usually cause problems within a year.
But do make sure the phone is bought from reputed stores and not ones claiming to offer it at very cheap prices, as there have been instances where these are found to be fake or refurbished.

Last edited by bijims : 18th June 2023 at 18:47.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 19:31   #11957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikh_oberoi View Post
I was shocked to see the pricing of xiaomi 13 pro. I bought 12 pro 5 months back for 45k. Will have to look at another phone for my wife.
I bought the iphone 14 for my wife. Unicorn stores had a good deal going.
68k for the base variant minus 4000 rs hdfc card cashback minus exchanged Iphone 7 for 4500 rs minus 4000rs cashify exchange bonus minus 18%(firm gst bill).
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:16   #11958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Debating between the Xiaomi 13 Pro and the Vivo X90 Pro. Anyone on this group who own these please share your views and experiences on these devices.

Some context:
I am an Android guy - so iPhone is ruled out.
S23 Ultra and S23+ are out of budget. S23 is too small to my liking.
If you are an Android guy and cameras are a priority, any particular reason for not opting for the Google Pixel 6A/7A/7/7 Pro?

The Android version updates, even though lower than what Samsung offers, is actually at par for the non A phones. Android version updates are available on Pixels on day 1. Feature drops happen every month and Security updates are also at par.

We have 3 6As in my immediate family and then there is my own 7. Everything just works. Cameras on both of them are delightful and all Pixels come with native camera integration with Snapchat and Instagram.

And finally, I think they come with Google One membership (I don't know for sure since I had the membership before I got the phone). The wizardry that you can do to your photos with just the premium Google Photos subscription is awe inspiring (for what can be done on a phone).

And finally, the 5G connectivity and coverage is better on Pixels (both 6a and 7) than any other phones that I have seen yet. This includes the iPhone 14 and Xiaomi 12 Pro.
antz.bin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:30   #11959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
We have 3 6As in my immediate family and then there is my own 7. Everything just works. Cameras on both of them are delightful and all Pixels come with native camera integration with Snapchat and Instagram.

And finally, the 5G connectivity and coverage is better on Pixels (both 6a and 7) than any other phones that I have seen yet. This includes the iPhone 14 and Xiaomi 12 Pro.
Hi wanted to know whether the Pixel 7 pro battery life is good enough for an entire day with medium use.

I'm really keen on the pixel 7 pro but battery life along with slow charging is making me rethink the option
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:19   #11960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Hi wanted to know whether the Pixel 7 pro battery life is good enough for an entire day with medium use.

I'm really keen on the pixel 7 pro but battery life along with slow charging is making me rethink the option
The one good thing about the Pixel is that it tells me by roughly what time the battery will run out. For example, it is telling me right now that my remaining 90% battery will last till 2:15 AM.

I will probably be in bed before that happens and since it charges slowly (20W. My old phone charged at 55W), I will have put the thing on charge. So it doesn't matter that it will last less than 24 hours and it never gives me any (range?) anxiety.

I charge my phone (18W) when in the car if I know I need to be out beyond the time the phone is telling me that it will run out. And if the situation is dire, your phone has already told you that it will run out before you get the opportunity to charge, you can always switch to Battery saver mode well in advance and avoid the situation altogether. The only thing that stops working in Battery saver mode is the Now playing (which is like an Always On Shazam) and the Always on display. We can live without that.

As per GSMArena, the battery backup on the 7 Pro is slightly less than the 7. But you will figure out ways to manage, the phone enables you to do that.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 08:12   #11961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
There is absolutely no issue in buying High range Samsungs and iPhones from Dubai or any country in the Middle East, they should work perfectly fine here! All the Phones I have bought have been from Oman and are still working perfectly fine.
Thank you so much for that. Will the phones purchased in Dubai support UPI apps here in India like Google pay and phonepe. I have an option of getting either the UAE version or the International version on Sharaf DG website which one would you suggest, also any idea about how good and reliable Sharaf DG is ?
Old 26th June 2023, 09:29   #11962
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRod_24 View Post
Thank you so much for that. Will the phones purchased in Dubai support UPI apps here in India like Google pay and phonepe. I have an option of getting either the UAE version or the International version on Sharaf DG website which one would you suggest, also any idea about how good and reliable Sharaf DG is ?
Sharaf DG is one of the most reliable brands across the Middle East, but their offers may not be the cheapest, do check out the same at Carrefour and Lulu as well, even Emax for that matter, all of them have online portals as well. With Eid-Al-Adha coming up, it's a long holiday there, so there are high chances you get good offers too. As regards the Middle East and International version, both will work fine with UPI and banking apps, get the one that is cheaper for the same spec.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 12:59   #11963
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking to get an Android phone for around Rs.30k or slightly more.

Requirements - 5G, Good Camera, 128 GB storage, good battery, prefer low/no bloatware with unwanted pesky apps

Current shortlist is One Plus Nord 2T 5G (bloatware is a concern) & Nothing Phone 1

Any others to consider in this price range ? How is the Google Pixel 6A and how does it compare with the two in my shortlist ?

*Prefer to avoid Samsung phones
Old 4th July 2023, 13:24   #11964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did you check the Moto's ? We are using these in the family circle, and find these fine. For the camera, I have set the AI part to OFF.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 13:44   #11965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Requirements - 5G, Good Camera, 128 GB storage, good battery, prefer low/no bloatware with unwanted pesky apps
Pixel 6A ticks most of these requirements!
Battery under normal usage will last around 1.5 days.

Last edited by finneyp : 4th July 2023 at 13:53.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 13:47   #11966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Current shortlist is One Plus Nord 2T 5G (bloatware is a concern) & Nothing Phone 1

Any others to consider in this price range ? How is the Google Pixel 6A and how does it compare with the two in my shortlist ?

I bought Google Pixel 6A and I am loving it. I never play any games, use it for general chat, youtube etc. Everything is good except charging times which is between 1.25-1.5 Hrs even with a fast charger. Camera is good, heating issue is there if you use it for gaming or extended video recording. Otherwise, there is no problem, its like Maruti of mobiles fill it shut it forget it.

Battery life is 15 hrs with Battery saver mode (which I keep ON 100% of the time). It is the best mobile in terms of user friendlyness of all the phones I have used so far. It is 5G ready, you will have to update the software via OTA. The 5G is operational in my city but as of now it does not picksup 5G signals, maybe not all the areas of my city have 5G.

Last edited by mercedised : 4th July 2023 at 13:49.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 14:24   #11967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Just one note, if you plan to use Maps on your phone while driving and will keep the phone plugged in for extended periods (wired AA on long drives) then heating issues of Pixel will lead to quicker aging of the phone.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 20:54   #11968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I bought Google Pixel 6A and I am loving it.
Are there any change in their 'call recording' policy? This is the one feature, I cherish the most in android phones.
Old 5th July 2023, 20:59   #11969
BHPian

Moto Razr 40 ultra vs Moto Razr 40 vs iPhone 14 plus vs Pixel 7 pro vs Samsung S23

I have always been of the opinion to use mid range phones (less than 30K) as the requirements are very basic. Now that I have added Samsung S8+ tab, phone is used only for communication purpose. A lot of my friends are now suggesting to upgrade and experience flagship phones. I am ok with a budget of max 80K. Still catch 22 situation if spending so much over a phone is justified. Like many petrolheads, I feel buying a 40K phone and use the remaining 40K for a road trip

Help needed - to know the pros and cons of the phones mentioned in header and to add any other option within the budget

Last edited by VWAllstar : 5th July 2023 at 21:01.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 21:42   #11970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are there any change in their 'call recording' policy? This is the one feature, I cherish the most in android phones.
There is no call recording option in Pixel 6A. I donot see it in Google dialer or its settings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks