Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2023, 10:14   #11851
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The most important factor for parents is an ad free and bloatware free experience. Google Pixels are ideal for that but you won't get one of those in your budget, so the next best option is Motorola.

If 5G is an important factor, then check out the Moto G71. If he can manage with 4G, then pick either the Moto G31 or the G52.

Make sure you buy the 6GB RAM variant so that the day to day experience is not spoilt due to lags and stutters.
Picked a G52 recently for a relative of mine (migrating to smartphone :-) ). The phone felt light weight and well fitting into the palm. I fell in love with the overall feel of the device and crispness of the screen. Would recommend.

Interestingly, having gone from small screens to bigger ones (the current one I'm holding is a 6.8in with a 6000mAh), I'm seriously looking for a small form factor device with decent battery backup. The charm of the big screen is appearing to be dwindling :-)

Regards
Rex

Last edited by rex_varghese : 24th February 2023 at 10:17.
Old 24th February 2023, 12:07   #11852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, my wife wishes to get a new number meeting numerology. She visited Airtel gallery but all the numbers they have are re-used numbers. I had earlier bought one number which was used number and I had to receive whatsapp and calls from unknown people for quite some time.

Is there any other way to find out new series / unused numbers before buying. How are these websites on net that sell VIP numbers? Are they reliable?

No experience with VIP number resellers but you can try the following -

Fancy mobile number from Vodafone
https://www.myvi.in/new-connection/c...numbers-online

Choose your mobile number from BSNL -
https://cymn.bsnl.co.in/

Check if you can get a number that you are looking for and port it to your preferred mobile operator after 3 months.

PS - I got a preferred number from Vodafone, and have no experience with
BSNL

You may also want to do a quick check on Truecaller to see if the number is in use or not. Not 100% foolproof, but still worth it.

Last edited by sachinayak : 24th February 2023 at 12:08.
sachinayak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 19:36   #11853
Senior - BHPian

I'm currently using a OnePlus 7 Pro as my primary phone and a OnePlus 6 as a secondary. In a few days I'll be upgrading to an iPhone 14 Pro Max as my primary phone.
My question is regarding the secondary phone.
Option 1: Sell the OnePlus 6 and use the OnePlus 7 Pro as the secondary.
Option 2: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and use the OnePlus 6 as the secondary.
Option 3: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and the OnePlus 6 and buy a new Android to use as the secondary.
Option 4: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and the OnePlus 6 and buy an old iPhone (X or newer) to use as the secondary.

Ideally I'd like to keep 1 Android since we get very limited data on the ship and iPhones are not the best when it comes to efficiently consuming data.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 22:18   #11854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikh_oberoi View Post
Xiaomi 13 is launching in India this month and I am planning to buy the same because of it's compact size compared to other phones
Only the Xiaomi 13 Pro is expected to launch in India as per some of the articles I came across. Xiaomi has launched the microsite as well for the Pro variant (Link)

In any case, its only 2 days away - let us see which models they launch in India...
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 12:50   #11855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I'm currently using a OnePlus 7 Pro as my primary phone and a OnePlus 6 as a secondary. In a few days I'll be upgrading to an iPhone 14 Pro Max as my primary phone.
My question is regarding the secondary phone.
Option 1: Sell the OnePlus 6 and use the OnePlus 7 Pro as the secondary.
Option 2: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and use the OnePlus 6 as the secondary.
Option 3: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and the OnePlus 6 and buy a new Android to use as the secondary.
Option 4: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and the OnePlus 6 and buy an old iPhone (X or newer) to use as the secondary.

Ideally I'd like to keep 1 Android since we get very limited data on the ship and iPhones are not the best when it comes to efficiently consuming data.
Option 3: Since the OP 7 Pro & definitely the 6 have already gotten pretty old and for sure have stopped receiving the latest updates; it's better to sell these off and get yourself a new android device.

You can have a look at the newly launched OP 11R, seems like a great VFM! Pricing is 39k INR for the base and with exchange you can actually end up getting a good price! Moreover, you'll feel at home coming from an OP device. Aside, would suggest to have a look at the Pixel 6a too. It's retailing at 29k something on Flipkart and seems like a good buy for the 'pure' android experience.
Another device, though a little old but still kinda makes sense is the Samsung S21 FE 5G.

Also, like you mentioned it's good to have an iPhone + Android phone. It's a good mix IMHO. I am too looking to replace my 6 years old secondary iPhone 7 with a 'compact' android phone. However, there are hardly android phones , let alone an android with size as compact as an iPhone 7.

Let us know what you pick.
Old 25th February 2023, 16:22   #11856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
Both of you should consider Pixel 6a. It is an amazing Android phone. I have been using iPhones for 8 years and recently bought a Pixel 6a as a secondary device and I am quite happy with it. I also bought another one for my father's primary usage.
My brother is using the iPhone 13 as primary and Pixel 6A as a secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
You can have a look at the newly launched OP 11R, seems like a great VFM! Pricing is 39k INR for the base and with exchange you can actually end up getting a good price!
I guess this is not as VFM as the Pixel 6A.

Quote:
Moreover, you'll feel at home coming from an OP device.
I'm actually quite comfortable with any Android.

Quote:
Aside, would suggest to have a look at the Pixel 6a too. It's retailing at 29k something on Flipkart and seems like a good buy for the 'pure' android experience.
That would be a good choice. Waiting for some better deals too. Also I'm not really comfortable dealing with Flipkart.
Actually the Pixel 4A 5G is also fine for me but considering the small price difference, the 6A is better.

Quote:
Another device, though a little old but still kinda makes sense is the Samsung S21 FE 5G.
I'll skip this.

Quote:
Let us know what you pick.
I will
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 13:56   #11857
BHPian

Guys, need to buy a Mobile Phone urgently today or tomorrow max and need some suggestions.
So, Front and Back Screen of my 2 Yr. old One Plus 8T got shattered earlier today due to my own mistake and it is not usable and responding now. So, instead of spending on Front and Back Screen repairs, am thinking of getting a new one. Do not want to cross 30k. Preferences are good 5G connectivity, Decent performance, Good camera and should be Reliable. Few Phones i have shortlisted are Google Pixel 6a / Samsung S21FE 5G / Nothing Phone / Nord 2T 5G. I do not want to stretch till 11R price, which is going to be launched soon.

Which one of these makes the most sense? Am leaning more towards Pixel 6a or S21FE. Also, is Pixel 6a available to be purchased Offline or only via Flipkart?

Appreciate a quick response due to the urgency.
Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 14:28   #11858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Few Phones i have shortlisted are Google Pixel 6a / Samsung S21FE 5G / Nothing Phone / Nord 2T 5G. I do not want to stretch till 11R price, which is going to be launched soon.

Which one of these makes the most sense? Am leaning more towards Pixel 6a or S21FE. Also, is Pixel 6a available to be purchased Offline or only via Flipkart?

Thanks
Well, I think the the phone that falls in your budget of 30k is Pixel 6a, as of today. The S21 FE 5G is 35K something on Flipkart. But between the two, S21 FE 5G makes more sense IMO as it has relatively better features than the 6a, viz. 120 Hz refresh rate, 3 cameras, etc. in the S21 FE. I remember seeing a comparo of the two and the S21 FE came out to be a better option; sorry I cannot find that video now. Maybe you can check on Youtube, you'll surely find some.

Also, we have a lot many BHPians who has purchased the S21 FE and are pretty happy with it.

Would suggest giving the Nord (pretty average phone) and Nothing (quite NEW for now) a skip though.

P. S.: Pixel 6a for now is ONLY available via Flipkart.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 18:44   #11859
BHPian

Have been using the Google Pixel since 2019 and can't think of moving to any other phone. First it was the Pixel 3a, now Pixel 6.

Don't go by specs, these phones easily punch above their weight.

BTW, Pixel 6a won the blind smartphone survey by MKBHD the most comprehensive unbiased crowd sourced photo shoot-out, if it matters anyways.
sachinayak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 08:09   #11860
Senior - BHPian

Xiaomi launched the Xiaomi 13 Series globally at the Launch Event in Barcelona. Only the European prices were revealed yesterday though.

The India Price Reveal is expected on 28.Feb.2023
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-pricereveal.png
India Price Reveal

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-xiaomi13.png
Xiaomi 13

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-xiaomi13pro.png
Xiaomi 13 Pro

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 27th February 2023 at 08:19.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 10:59   #11861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
But between the two, S21 FE 5G makes more sense IMO as it has relatively better features than the 6a, viz. 120 Hz refresh rate, 3 cameras, etc. in the S21 FE.
Also, we have a lot many BHPians who has purchased the S21 FE and are pretty happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Have been using the Google Pixel since 2019 and can't think of moving to any other phone. First it was the Pixel 3a, now Pixel 6.

Don't go by specs, these phones easily punch above their weight.
Thanks Guys for your inputs. Appreciate it. With the limited amount of research i did yesterday due to time constraints, it was neck and neck between S21FE and 6A. Both having their Pros and Cons. Also, Pixel 6A looked like a trimmed down variant of the other primary Pixel Phones and not having all the processing features and capabilities. Anyways, there is no Perfect Phone that exists, i believe. Just need to pick the one that suits your major requirements and tick the boxes. Still undecided with a clear winner, finally went ahead and booked the S21FE 5G 128GB variant in Olive Color from the Samsung Shop App last night at a final price of 33k, post applying a referral code.

This is going to be my 1st Samsung Smartphone, after previously owning Nexus 5 & One Plus 3T (Both amazing phones) and One Plus 8T (Average phone). Am a bit concerned about the Exynos 2100 Chip and the random complaints about Heating and Low Battery Life. But since i do not intend to use it for Heavy Gaming and just for normal day to day Tasks and occasional multimedia purpose, think it should be alright. Hoping it turns out to be a good choice and i do not end up regretting it.

One question i had is, since they have stopped shipping the Charging Adapter along with the Mobile, is it safe to charge S21FE using the 33W Turbo Charger of Moto G that i already have, or will it harm the Battery and is recommended to purchases the Samsung 25W Travel Adapter?
Old 27th February 2023, 12:16   #11862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
went ahead and booked the S21FE 5G 128GB variant in Olive Color from the Samsung Shop App last night at a final price of 33k, post applying a referral code.

One question i had is, since they have stopped shipping the Charging Adapter along with the Mobile, is it safe to charge S21FE using the 33W Turbo Charger of Moto G that i already have, or will it harm the Battery and is recommended to purchases the Samsung 25W Travel Adapter?
Good choice there Abhi, I’m sure you’ll not regret!

With regards to adapter, I suggest you purchase the Samsung recommended adapter only or something that comes close to it. Charging with speeds beyond the maximum permissible will only damage the battery of your phone causing it’s premature wear. I have learnt this the hard way wherein I used to charge my iPhone 7 using an 18W charger; whereas the Apple recommended was 5W.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 14:19   #11863
BHPian

People seem to like the Pixel 6A very much, but isn't it an one trick pony? Or two fat best? The camera's are excellent if you go by the reviews and the software apparently is very optimized. Apart from these two, isn't it a mediocre device? A large chin in 2023? And a 60hz display? Slow charging? Aren't we better off with an all rounder than a mediocre camera-centric phone?
Old 27th February 2023, 16:21   #11864
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm wondering, where does Motorola figure on the scale of recommendations including the Pixel and Samsung that you guys are suggesting?

I'm also wondering, does 60mHz matter if one is not a movie watcher or game player?

And... I'm wondering what I could get that does have a 3.5mm audio jack.

Don't know the timescale, but New Phone is absolutely on my horizon now. My Mi A1 is getting unreliable, and the battery hardly lasts a day.*

I'm inclined towards the Pixel 6a because of its smaller size. People rave about the camera, even though is it somewhat old and doesn't even zoom. My cons: no 3.5 jack, only 128 internal and no card, no zoom.

Actually, my Mi A1 is also 128-internal. I have never put a card in it. But only because my audio library lives on my tablet, and I take that for travel. I'd like not to have to.

The A1 would need a new battery. It also needs updating and refreshing. It is rooted: this means unrooting, restoring stock, re-rooting and setting up all the stuff again.

Last time I had to get a phone urgently, I was flying and had only 48 hours to get phone, arrange replacement SIM etc. In a nearby shop I chose a Pocco, and detested it. I gave the Pocco to a kid, who still has it, 4 years later and rather broken!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th February 2023 at 16:26.
Old 27th February 2023, 17:18   #11865
BANNED

A relative of mine lives alone. Has a cell phone & also an MTNL Landline.

MTNL has been giving lot of problems & has been down 3-4 months a year. So wants to replace that with another cell phone. She wants a 2nd line because if the mobile phone instrument develops a problem, then there needs to be an alternative.

I was wondering if those old style cheap Nokia phones can be a good alternative - the ones costing less than 2000 Rs. However, I am not sure if current providers work well with these old style phones. Will Jio work with a phone like this - The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokia.png

Has anyone tried it?

Also does Jio still those cheap Jio Branded phones? Are they a good buy as a 2nd emergency phone? How much do they cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks