Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 12:21   #11701
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
... Why even buy a flagship phone for performance in the first place then?
Unpopular answer: bragging rights.

Vast majority of day-to-day use cases of even demanding users don't require peak device performance over a sustained period, and the devices themselves are incapable of sustaining peak performance beyond short bursts, because one or the other factor necessitates peformance throttling to protect the device. Thermal management and battery are the most obvious ones, and there's no real workaround without majorly compromising the form factor of a handheld device.

Most people are buying supercar smartphones to commute on digital roadways.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 13:59   #11702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
What's the cheapest smartphone available that supports whatsapp and google maps? And is small. I have a S7 as a main phone, but the damn thing is just too big to sit comfortably in my pocket. Plus have replaced the screen twice after cracking it (even with a rubberized protective case). Looking for a much smaller and cheaper phone that I can carry around without much worry. I really miss the good old Samsung Duos that I used to have, that was perfect! Don't care about the camera or downgrading. Would prefer something from the mainstream brands like Apple or Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, not the Chinese imports. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Strictly speaking dimensions, none except an iPhone SE or 12/13 mini will make a difference. Two other phones that I thought were small (Nokia C01 Pro & Google Pixel 4a) seem to be similar in size as a S7. If your S7 is working just fine, I think you have to make peace with it and continue using unless you are ok picking up any of the iPhones I mentioned.
P.S- I currently use a Samsung M51 (6.70 inch screen) which is about 22mm taller, 7mm wider and weighs 60g more than a S7. Hold one, and you'll start appreciating your S7 like never before.

Last edited by @og_adi : 31st March 2022 at 14:02.
@og_adi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 14:27   #11703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
Strictly speaking dimensions, none except an iPhone SE or 12/13 mini will make a difference. Two other phones that I thought were small (Nokia C01 Pro & Google Pixel 4a) seem to be similar in size as a S7. If your S7 is working just fine, I think you have to make peace with it and continue using unless you are ok picking up any of the iPhones I mentioned.
P.S- I currently use a Samsung M51 (6.70 inch screen) which is about 22mm taller, 7mm wider and weighs 60g more than a S7. Hold one, and you'll start appreciating your S7 like never before.
He clearly mentions the S7 as being too tight a fit for his pocket. So, understandably, he’d need a smaller pocket rocket.

The iPhone SE 2 would be the perfect bet. Just watch out though - the battery life isn’t all that great.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 15:18   #11704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
What's the cheapest smartphone available that supports whatsapp and google maps? And is small. I have a S7 as a main phone, but the damn thing is just too big to sit comfortably in my pocket. Plus have replaced the screen twice after cracking it (even with a rubberized protective case). Looking for a much smaller and cheaper phone that I can carry around without much worry. I really miss the good old Samsung Duos that I used to have, that was perfect! Don't care about the camera or downgrading. Would prefer something from the mainstream brands like Apple or Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, not the Chinese imports. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I use Samsung M31 - quite happy, have had it for 2 years. One major consideration for me is SAR value as may daughter often plays beside me while I work - these are lowest in Samsung typically. And it was 12 K - not the cheapest, but not very expensive either.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 20:00   #11705
e46
BHPian

Dear fellows,

Does anyone have experience ordering mobile phone accessories from Aliexpress?

I am considering buying the M4 Pro 4g variant, however could not find any decent back covers, which is surprising.

The company it seems is black listed and the normal delivery takes ~2 months. Do we get it finally in India/ additional taxes to be paid?

Answers would be appreciated much. Thank you.
Old 1st April 2022, 21:41   #11706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Dear fellows,

Does anyone have experience ordering mobile phone accessories from Aliexpress?
Bought cases and screen protectors for phones. Bought a laptop screen, and lots of other misc stuff on AE.

All arrived, and if something goes wrong refunds are quite smooth.

However, my delivery address is in Canada.

Unsure of experience when delivered to India.
Old 26th June 2022, 14:35   #11707
Team-BHP Support

My Google Pixel 3a has been discharging too fast since a month. I knew I had to get the battery replaced, but I kept postponing the decision until it started failing within 4-5 hours. I tried to buy a quick replacement from a local Sangeeta Mobiles. I hoped to buy a Samsung Galaxy A52s, but they only had the latest A53 or A33, which has Samsung processor.

Which left me no choice but order online, and so I ordered a Moto Edge 30 on June 23rd. The order will reach me only by 28th. Meanwhile the phone is dying every 1-2 hours, forcing me to charge it hourly.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-whatsapp-image-20220626-12.45.04-pm.jpeg

Meanwhile, I noticed today that my phone has a bulge due to expanding battery. Since it was covered by a plastic case, I didn't notice until it got real bad. This is scary... so I moved the sim to a feature phone and shutoff the Pixel. I never had a battery issue in my 24 year mobile phone history, this is the first.

My current phone...

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-whatsapp-image-20220626-2.39.53-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Samurai : 26th June 2022 at 14:42.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:23   #11708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I tried to buy a quick replacement from a local Sangeeta Mobiles. I hoped to buy a Samsung Galaxy A52s, but they only had the latest A53 or A33, which has Samsung processor.

Which left me no choice but order online, and so I ordered a Moto Edge 30 on June 23rd. The order will reach me only by 28th.
We got the Moto Edge 30 after a bit of a hassle with Flipkart delivery. Overall the phone seemed good but the software left a bad taste in the mouth. We were longtime Moto users before we got a Oneplus in the family. Now we were excited to come back to this. So maybe our expectations were high, but still some very bad issues with the core functionalities of the phone i.e., the messaging app and the phone app just not working properly had us puzzled. But after a bit of ‘googling’, changing a bunch of settings and installing GCam, things are looking alright for now. Just letting you know, ymmv!
nithin5497 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 19:38   #11709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Google Pixel 3a has been discharging too fast since a month.
Had the same issue with my Pixel 2(except the bulge), got the battery replaced and performs like new.
Raised a request from the phone which went to B2X in India and they handled the process well.
Battery isn't very expensive but you pay a service charge of ₹1350(850 is upfront inspection charges which is non refundable in case you decline the repair).
They do a check of everything and will generate an estimate work order, if approved you pay the 1350 and cost of spares.
Check your prices here.

Initially I was a bit sceptical due to the doorstep process but eventually I found it to be much easier and better but delayed due to the T2 location.
I had one in warranty and one out of warranty experience and they did a good job
Only gripe is that they remove anything on the phone when it goes in to service and I lost a Spigen tempered glass which could not be ordered anymore.

Had also interacted with Moto ASC and got a feeling that the spares are easily available for 3-4 years so peripheral stuff like switches/rockers/ports and battery should be replaced around 3-4 years to extend the life of an otherwise good phone.
Learnt this the hard way as I have a Moto X2 which feels amazing and performs like new but has a failed battery which isn't available anywhere (tried ASC/Flipkart/Amazon).

Most manufacturers like Motorola or Samsung, the battery isn't that expensive and the service charges reasonable, worth a mid life refresh, IMHO.

The Motorola Edge 30 is a very good phone, Congrats.

OT :
Any ideas where can I get a Moto X 2nd Generation (2014) battery (EY30 2300mAh) apart from the usual Flipkart/Amazon/ASC ?

Last edited by shancz : 19th August 2022 at 19:50. Reason: added OT
Old 19th August 2022, 23:16   #11710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
OT :
Any ideas where can I get a Moto X 2nd Generation (2014) battery (EY30 2300mAh) apart from the usual Flipkart/Amazon/ASC ?
I also have this 'smartest' smartphone till date lying dead due to unavailabilty of battery. Have tried 3 batteries till now to revive it but none works more than couple of months. So finally have made up mind of letting it rest in cupboard forever.

Just imagine the fate of electric cars when manufactures will keep changing the design of batteries with evey new model or generation and will site the reason of unvlavailabilty of batteries when replacement will be due after 5-7 years.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 23:19   #11711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
So finally have made up mind of letting it rest in cupboard forever.
Seems like mine will go the same way, exhausted all avenues.
Hurts to see such a waste of quality workmanship especially compared to how most phones are built today

On the electric cars although I expect better management but I hear you and I fear the same especially for the XYZ brand scooters that are selling quite well. Might end up in a lot of headache, heartache and e-waste.

Last edited by shancz : 19th August 2022 at 23:22. Reason: added ecars
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 23:49   #11712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had the same issue with my Pixel 2(except the bulge), got the battery replaced and performs like new.
Raised a request from the phone which went to B2X in India and they handled the process well.
Already done. I got my Pixel 3a back to life a month ago, and I am already back on it. Cost me around ₹1700.

Quote:
The Motorola Edge 30 is a very good phone, Congrats.
Already relegated it back to backup phone status. It feels too flimsy compared to the pixel, the whole phone vibrates when the audio is on.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 00:06   #11713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Already relegated it back to backup phone status. It feels too flimsy compared to the pixel, the whole phone vibrates when the audio is on.
Ditto, I am using a passed on Edge 20 Fusion until its warranty lasts and then it becomes the backup phone.

Exact same issue with phone vibrating, experienced it on the Edge 20 Fusion and a G52 as well. I have a strong belief that the inner backbone, if any, is made of plastic.
Seems like Motorola has made these to be used with the back cover to feel better

But looking at the overall market situation, Motorola still has the stock android as its USP and better priced compared to Samsung while not appearing to be just another Chinese player.
Only if they made a smaller phone(like the 3a) at 15-16k.

Last edited by shancz : 20th August 2022 at 00:12. Reason: typos
Old 30th August 2022, 10:11   #11714
BHPian

Wi-Fi calling related

Folks, I have an Asus ROG 3 with a Jio sim in it. I depend on wi-fi calling for clarity. After an hour or so, the phone/network slips out of wi-fi calling mode on its own and often.

Does this happen to you too ? What's the fix ?
Old 30th August 2022, 10:59   #11715
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wi-Fi calling related

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Folks, I have an Asus ROG 3 with a Jio sim in it. I depend on wi-fi calling for clarity. After an hour or so, the phone/network slips out of wi-fi calling mode on its own and often.

Does this happen to you too ? What's the fix ?
Wifi calling isn't without its flaws.

You are right, Jio wifi calling drops back to LTE mode sometimes, I think its to do with the internet/ wifi signal. Even a temporary disruption/ travel to a weak signal zone will make it switch back.

It is the same with Airtel.

I don't use Jio on wifi calling anymore, but do use airtel wifi calling. Since I installed a mesh network and my phone is connected to a 5ghz, I have had no issues at all.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks