Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 13:51   #11776
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Currently using Realme XT since 40 months. Absolutely no issues.

The reception (Jio and Airtel) is great where I work, better than others.

Battery lasts full day without power saving mode.

The camera is great and the speaker sound output is loud.

With Realme Watch2 pro it works seamlessly and accurately.

I am satisfied with this budget phone. I don't think that I would ever go to high segment phones.

(For serious photography I have Sony mirrorless system)

Previously used phones
Nokia 6600
Samsung Note
O2 xda IIi
O2 exec (aka HTC Universal)
HTC HD
HTC HD2
HTC One M7 (US Developers Edition)
One Plus One
Lenovo Phab 2 plus
Drkalgaonkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 02:20   #11777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
---Snip---
Why do we always need to be connected? Why cannot we read emails only once or twice a day unless specifically waiting for one? I am not talking of hiding notifications to solve it - I am talking of not needing to create them in the first place.....
---Snip---
While most of what you said is true, the above cannot be the same yardstick for all folks. There may be people who need to respond to email in a certain time frame or revert to IM's within a very short turnaround time and also attend meetings on the go on their smartphone. So this has to be considered before questioning the need to check emails often and why it cannot be done just once or twice a day.

Coming to the topic of discussion, though Google is running a lot of services in the background, somehow the experience on their modest Pixel 4a with average mid tier specs is running fine for 2 years now with office email, IM and zoom calls along with normal calls, personal email and some light browsing for news and T-BHP. I dont use it for media consumption though for the first year it was used to connect to the car with Wynk playing music in the background and also some light casual games installed on it. Battery used to hold up for 1.5 days before, now it requires charging at the end of the day. Apart from this it is still performing like how it was when new and finding it very hard to replace it with anything currently in the market.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 19th October 2022 at 02:23.
Old 19th October 2022, 13:14   #11778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
There may be people who need to respond to email in a certain time frame or revert to IM's within a very short turnaround time and also attend meetings on the go
These are the use cases of a laptop. At least that was their USP when they first came into existence.

Of course, a smartphone can be more convenient as it is smaller and easier to carry. Whether it does that particular job better than laptop, is subjective. My point was not to generalise though, but think whether we really need it for that purpose. If that job profile existed and could be done efficiently enough before the advent of smartphones, we have the answer.

As for some exceptions which can only do well with a smartphone and no bigger device, sure there is a requirement. But then, those would be exceptions. Again, not generalising for everyone.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 19th October 2022 at 13:15.
Old 19th October 2022, 19:08   #11779
BHPian

Quote:
Nowadays we have a phone, tab, laptop (I don't though, apart from the work one), desktop, and still we seem to be not contented, compared to 20 years back when a desktop was all we needed.
Whatever makes your life happy, keep doing it. I like buying stuff, especially gadgets. And cars. I change my phone almost every year, car every 3-5 years. My only regret is, at this rate I can experience only a handful of cars in my lifetime.
Quote:
These are the use cases of a laptop. At least that was their USP when they first came into existence.
Well, no. We don't keep our laptops online. A mobile is the right piece of equipment to keep you online and respond to emails and texts. I can't imagine my phone without my work email and Teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkalgaonkar View Post
HTC HD2
HTC One M7 (US Developers Edition)
One Plus One
That gave me goosebumps.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:08   #11780
BHPian

Hello folks! Need to buy three new budget phone for some extended family members.

1. Under 13K (great battery life)
2. Under 15K (6GB ram is a must)
3. Under 20K (8GB ram will be nice)

Overall expectation is to buy newly released phones with hardware that can last up to 3 years. Or at least get updates for 2 years.
Old 21st October 2022, 10:23   #11781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Hello folks! Need to buy three new budget phone for some extended family members.

Overall expectation is to buy newly released phones with hardware that can last up to 3 years. Or at least get updates for 2 years.
Get any of the Moto G52,G62,G72,G82 .

G52 is a 4G only phone.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:31   #11782
Team-BHP Support

While looking for a new phone, I stumbled upon this exhaustive smartphone/gadgets review site:
www.91mobiles.com

The mobile finder is very intuitive (for eg: list of all 5G phones, list of all big battery phones, list of 'best camera' phones):

Name:  Screenshot_1.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  41.9 KB

Once you pick a phone, you can see sample photos taken from the smartphone camera, 360 degree view of the smartphone, UI photos etc

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_2.jpg

The reviews of phones too is quite exhaustive (just a notch below gsmarena.com). Eg:
https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/vivo-t1-5g-review/

And finally, they have a Youtube channel (1.5M subscribers) too for video reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/user/91mobiles
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:43   #11783
BHPian

I am using Moto G82 5G 8 GB since 2 months. While it's a good phone with the stock android, 120Hz screen, good battery back-up; I am not happy with its camera quality.

Before buying this phone, I had Samsung Galaxy S10 which was stolen. I loved the display screen and camera on S10.
I am planning to sell G82 and buy Samsung Galaxy S series.
However, G82 is not available under exchange program on Flipkart or Amazon. Cashify is offering poor resale value.

Any idea how can I exchange this phone at a decent price?

Last edited by StepUP! : 21st October 2022 at 10:45.
Old 21st October 2022, 10:48   #11784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Any idea how can I exchange this phone at a decent price?
Phones/Tablets generally have very poor resale value. It is like you are stuck with a Fiat. Though the phone may not give the pleasure of a Fiat. Try for offline exchange. I did the same with my MI at a Samsung Store. They give decent resale and you get the new phone right away without even a day's wait. The new flagship series of Motos have great cameras but over all Samsung S series are better.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:52   #11785
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post

Samsung Galaxy F23 5G (4GB RAM/128GB storage) with 5000 mah battery
Realme 9i 5G (4GB RAM/64 GB storage) with 5000 mah battery
Samsung Galaxy M33 5G (6GB RAM/128GB storage) with 6000 mah battery only if you can avail of the credit card offers from Amazon.

if you are alright with 4g devices then:
Redmi 10 Power (8GB RAM/128GB storage) with 6000 mah battery

2. Under 15K (6GB ram is GB is a must)
Samsung Galaxy M33 5G (6GB RAM/128GB storage) with 6000 mah battery
Vivo iQOO Z6 5G/ Vivo T1 5G (6GB RAM/128GB storage) with 5000 mah battery ( credit card offers will help reduce the price to below 15000)

Vivo iQOO Z5 5G (8GB RAM/128GB storage) with 5000 mah battery with SD 778 processor is a great deal although a year old device.
All the above-mentioned models can also be got with 8 GB under 20,000

Other models that can be considered are Redmi Note 11 Pro Plus 5G, Poco X4 Pro 5G, Motorola G82 etc.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 17:26   #11786
BHPian

11 years after buying the then not-so-famous Samsung Galaxy S2 (Their first superhit Galaxy phone), I am back to the Samsung family with their latest flagship (cousin) Galaxy S22+.

Bought the mobile from the Samsung website for a cool deal. My 3-year-old Oneplus 7T fetched a superb 24K in exchange and the final price on the phone was just 36K!

I hope to have a repeat of the superb experience I had last time with the latest Galaxy phone.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 14:53   #11787
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My cousin is looking for a phone which is 10,000 Rs or lesser. Please recommend one. Usage is going to be lots of Facebook, Whatspp, Insta etc. Minimum 6" screen & 4GB/64GB is required. Also good customer service in Bombay (in terms of having enough service centers nearby in case of warranty repairs). Camera is not that important - needs to be usable, that's all.

Also, how much difference does having MediaTek Hello Processor make as compared to a Qualcomm processor?

Last edited by carboy : 5th November 2022 at 14:58.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 07:47   #11788
BANNED

Guys, I am looking at the Motorola e40 - https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e40-11112.php

I have a few questions.

If you expand the network row, you see "4G bands - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 19, 28, 40, 66 - Brazil". So will this work on Indian 4G?

Also, in platform, it says

Chipset Unisoc T700
CPU Octa-core 1.8 GHz
GPU Mali G52

Is this a decent spec?

Also, I have heard that Motorola's are usually quite close to stock Android. Is this true?

Last edited by carboy : 6th November 2022 at 07:49.
Old 6th November 2022, 11:40   #11789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Also good customer service in Bombay (in terms of having enough service centers nearby in case of warranty repairs).
Best to stick with brands having large marketshare then (Eg: Samsung/Xiaomi)

Quote:
Also, how much difference does having MediaTek Hello Processor make as compared to a Qualcomm processor? Also, in platform, it says
Chipset Unisoc T700
Should not matter much when usage is primarily facebook/whatsapp/web browsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If you expand the network row, you see "4G bands - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 19, 28, 40, 66 - Brazil". So will this work on Indian 4G?
If it is sold in India, it will work in India

We have a Realme Narzo 50a prime that we use as a "backup phone" (in case the main phone we have is lost or goes to repairs). You can shortlist this one:
https://www.realme.com/in/realme-narzo-50a-prime
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0BG1PYJR4/

PROS:

- Amazing design/build. Looks and feels like a 30k phone
- Near stock android
- Good daylight photography

CONS:

- No 5G
- Poor indoor/low light photos
- Slightly expensive (11.5k)

You can read its review here:
https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/realme...-prime-review/

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th November 2022 at 11:47.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 13:22   #11790
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
We have a Realme Narzo 50a prime that we use as a "backup phone" (in case the main phone we have is lost or goes to repairs). You can shortlist this one:
Any idea about another Real Me 50i Narzo model? - https://www.amazon.in/realme-narzo-C...dp/B09FKB3446/

I am trying to choose between the 50i & the Moto E40 - https://www.amazon.in/Moto-E40-Carbo...dp/B09JN69X8F/

If you have any suggestions, do let me know. I know very little about phones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks