Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2023, 11:25   #11911
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I mean, its the only phone from the top 5 of the DXOMark Top Smartphone cameras ...opt for the Pixel 7 / 7 Pro instead. Is that a good idea?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
DXOMark is a biased website. ..Any independent reviews, you will find S23 ultra up there, especially when it comes to zoom. Rest is personal alignment with a brand. IPhone 14 pro max quite good as well.
Agree on DXO. It's all hogwash.

When it comes to cameras, these days you can't go wrong with the flagships.
Be it S23 Ultra, iPhone Pro Max or the new Pixels. They all are pretty darn good with negligible differences.

At this level, camera shouldn't be the differentiating factor.
Ecosystem, ease of use, serviceability and personal references matter.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 17:37   #11912
BHPian

Quote:
I have last used a my Panasonic FZ28 superzoom camera over 7 years back and don't intend to resurrect it after all these years with under a month to go for the trip. The Pixel also fits in your pocket and is always ready for a great photo unlike the other options I was considering.
I still wouldn't trust a phone camera for anything other than casual clicks. True, 90% of the times you only need a phone camera. But if you are going on a trip and want to click some nice pics, get that dedicated camera.

I understand that phone cameras have come a long way, and a phone sometimes gives you sharper (oversharpened), colourful (oversaturated) pictures that most people love. But these phones still use small sensors and glasses. You can't beat physics. I can still see the distortions wide and clear. In a group photo the head of the guy standing in the corner will look oblong and no AI software is good enough to get it right. Also, the fake blurred backgrounds still look very unnatural. And the fake HDR? They make me want to puke.

I admit that most people don't need a proper camera, but I think YOU do.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 18:10   #11913

Quote:
I currently had no need to buy a phone but still here I am.

I was planning a road trip and was looking at purchasing a decent camera (budget Mirrorless / entry level DSLR with kit lens) and found that most of the decent ones costed roughly about the same as a Google Pixel 7 Pro on Amazon. I have last used a my Panasonic FZ28 superzoom camera over 7 years back and don't intend to resurrect it after all these years with under a month to go for the trip. The Pixel also fits in your pocket and is always ready for a great photo unlike the other options I was considering.

I mean, its the only phone from the top 5 of the DXOMark Top Smartphone cameras that is available in India with warranty. Is it really that good? Anybody has any experience with the Pixel 7 / 7 Pro?

I mean we have 2 Pixel 6As in the family (my father and my nephew) and my nephew is absolutely in love with the results that the still camera produces but the phone lags behind in low-light videos. MKBHD agrees with this assessment. If I am to go for it, I would want to overcome the known video handicap and opt for the Pixel 7 / 7 Pro instead. Is that a good idea? Or is there any other option I could explore for for my requirements?
Do be aware that the phones sold on Amazon are parallel imports from Japan/UK/North America and do not carry the official warranty, some of those phones will also not support 5G in India due to the difference in network bands in their home markets. You'll find that they're usually sold by smaller fly by night operators and not Appario or other well known sellers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th April 2023 at 18:20. Reason: Minor typo :)
xanthor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 19:28   #11914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthor View Post
Do be aware that the phones sold on Amazon are parallel imports from Japan/UK/North America and do not carry the official warranty ...
As a potential Pixel 6a buyer, I understand that Google phones sold by Flipkart carry Google warranty. Or, at least, some of them do.

It does feel like a minefield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I still wouldn't trust a phone camera for anything other than casual clicks. True, 90% of the times you only need a phone camera. But if you are going on a trip and want to click some nice pics, get that dedicated camera. ... ... ... I admit that most people don't need a proper camera, but I think YOU do.
I'm a Sony APS-C photographer, and I agree. I consider that the kit lenses I bought with my a6000 were a waste of money --- but I have seen superb landscape photography done by one person on a forum, with exactly that combo.

As a camera person, the idea of spending what I call "lens money" on a phone is horrifying. But I do want better pics than my low-budget Mi A1 can manage. Hence thinking of the move to the 30k phone budget and the Pixel.

BTW, a read of an impending model, 7a, maybe next month.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th April 2023 at 19:36.
Old 28th April 2023, 02:21   #11915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It does feel like a minefield!
Every Pixel you'll get off Flipkart should carry warranty. They're listed as a retail partner on the Google Store.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th April 2023 at 04:55. Reason: Quote trimmed, spacing.
xanthor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 15:38   #11916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthor View Post
Every Pixel you'll get off Flipkart should carry warranty.
Thanks. Does that remain true if the seller is a third party using the Flipkart market place?
Old 28th April 2023, 16:31   #11917

Quote:
Thanks. Does that remain true if the seller is a third party using the Flipkart market place?
My understanding is that Flipkart is a pure play marketplace model at this point and all sellers are technically 3Ps.

All the devices listed on Flipkart show a 1 Year Domestic warranty from the brand on their product pages, which isn't the case for Amazon so I'd wager that you should be fine with a purchase from Flipkart.

You could probably get an extra later of assurance by emailing Flipkart before you make your purchase.
xanthor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 17:39   #11918
BHPian

Quote:
I currently had no need to buy a phone but still here I am.

I mean we have 2 Pixel 6As in the family (my father and my nephew) and my nephew is absolutely in love with the results that the still camera produces but the phone lags behind in low-light videos. MKBHD agrees with this assessment. If I am to go for it, I would want to overcome the known video handicap and opt for the Pixel 7 / 7 Pro instead. Is that a good idea? Or is there any other option I could explore for for my requirements?

Modern flagship devices utilize pixel binning techniques to produce highly detailed images in standard lighting conditions, irrespective of advertised Megapixels count. However, when it comes to differentiating mobile cameras, two key factors come into play: available optical zoom and image processing algorithm in low light and high dynamic range (HDR) conditions.

The Samsung S23 Ultra, Apple 14 Pro, Oneplus 11, and Google Pixel 7 Pro are all top-of-the-line mobile devices, with varying degrees of success in these areas. Of the four, the Samsung S23 Ultra stands out for its impressive 10x optical zoom, while the Google Pixel 7 Pro has a 5x optical zoom. For low light and HDR, the Apple 14 Pro and Oneplus 11 perform similarly, with Oneplus images appearing slightly more vivid, while the Google Pixel 7 Pro produces slightly muted images.

Based on my personal experience, I would recommend the Oneplus 11 due to its cost-effectiveness , excellent battery backup and longer software support.

However, I suggest to test each device's camera for themselves before making a final decision (Croma has all four mobiles under one roof).

When testing, it may be beneficial to take photos in varying lighting conditions, using both the zoom lens and standard settings, to get a full sense of each device's capabilities.
Aniket Verma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 18:26   #11919
BHPian

Quote:
The Pixel also fits in your pocket and is always ready for a great photo unlike the other options I was considering.

I mean, its the only phone from the top 5 of the DXOMark Top Smartphone cameras that is available in India with warranty. Is it really that good? Anybody has any experience with the Pixel 7 / 7 Pro?

I was in this exact same situation a month back. I was trekking solo in the Himalayas and every gram in my backpack mattered. I have been into photography (non professional) for a decade now, with DSLR from Canon and Nikon, switching over to Sony mirrorless to reduce weight for my treks. Eventually I decided to leave my Sony A6400 behind and trusted my Pixel 6 to do it's job, and I didn't regret this even a little bit.

To cut a long story short, check for pics from this trek here -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...mal-nepal.html (Trek Report: My solo trekking adventure to Mardi Himal in Nepal)

While the Pixel series phone are absolutely amongst the best for still photos, they lag far behind competition for videos. I used my camera for some video shots but had to trash most clips taken in low light or with any stabilization. That said the remaining clips were enough to make a half decent trip video -

If you are looking for an all rounder, and if you have the budget go for the iPhone. I just got an action camera for my video needs to complement my Pixel.

BTW, in MKBHDs blind smartphone camera tests, the pixels have always done great. The Pixel 6a beat many higher priced phones in the latest version. But again those were still photos.

Final note from my side - I have sold/am selling most of my lenses for my Sony mirrorless now, except for my 200-600 lens which I will retain for wildlife photography. Smartphone cameras may offer zoom but not the quality when it comes to long focal lengths.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 19:58   #11920
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions.

I eventually opted for the Pixel 7. The phone was delivered this morning and I have been totally impressed with it as far as the camera is concerned. W.r.t. both the stills and videos.

Now that the sun is down, I will evaluate how it does after dark.

I have been comparing it to my ~2 year old Realme X7 Max (which I considered decent till yesterday) and the difference is literally night and day even with daytime photos. The AI post processing features are a nice touch.

The problem I am facing is that my Realme had better 5G coverage than the Pixel but the Pixel is giving better data speeds. The problem is that the Pixel keeps switching over to LTE and with LTE, there is no unlimited data (5G is unlimited).

Let's see how it works out but for now, it seems to be the right thing to do.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:00   #11921
BHPian

I'm looking for a new phone preferably Samsung S22 or S23. Do they still provide Samsung watch at discounted price for these flagship phones ? From where can I buy the phone so that I can get the watch too. I love the design of that smartwatch
Old 3rd May 2023, 15:54   #11922
Distinguished - BHPian

Pixel 7a is due to be announced on 10 May, with, I read, immediate availability. Pricing said to be US$50 more than the 6a --- but that is based on release price, with the 6a being, now, very much cheaper.

Currently seeing 6a at about Rs.28k. Whilst it is still more than twice what I've paid for phones in the past , I guess I can do this.
Old 3rd May 2023, 17:14   #11923
BHPian

Quote:
Pixel 7a is due to be announced on 10 May, with, I read, immediate availability. Pricing said to be US$50 more than the 6a --- but that is based on release price, with the 6a being, now, very much cheaper.

Currently seeing 6a at about Rs.28k. Whilst it is still more than twice what I've paid for phones in the past , I guess I can do this.
While the $50 bump in price is kinda justified (90Hz Screen, Wireless charging etc.) it never makes sense to buy Pixel phones on release, unless you have an urgent requirement. Till last week, the Pixel 7 was on sale on the Google Store for $450 (cheaper than the expected price of the Pixel 7a). The trade-in deals were great too (offering $355 for my Pixel 6).

Google phones have never been priced well in India (at least the launch price) but in ~6 months, they do get a price cut to sane levels.

On my 3rd Pixel now. Pixel 3a > Pixel 6 > Pixel 7.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 17:19   #11924
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't care much about wireless charging: I charge in at least four places (desk, sofa, bed, car) and wouldn't be replacing all those with wireless.

Why do Google not appreciate the Indian market? Isn't it the biggest smart-phone market in the world?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd May 2023 at 17:20.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 17:33   #11925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I'm looking for a new phone preferably Samsung S22 or S23. Do they still provide Samsung watch at discounted price for these flagship phones ? From where can I buy the phone so that I can get the watch too. I love the design of that smartwatch
When I got the S23, the watch was available only for the flip phone and I suppose it would be the same now as well
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks