Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2023, 11:12   #11881
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Government's Big Security Plan Targets Pre-Installed Phone Apps: Report

Source: NDTV

Quote:
Centre plans to force smartphone makers to allow removal of pre-installed apps and mandate screening of major operating system updates under proposed new security rules, according to two people and a government document seen by Reuters.

Currently, most smartphones come with pre-installed apps that cannot be deleted... Under the new rules, smartphone makers will have to provide an uninstall option

"Majority of smartphones used in India are having pre-installed Apps/Bloatware which poses serious privacy/information security issue(s)," stated a Feb. 8 confidential government record of an IT ministry meeting, seen by Reuters.

The closed-door meeting was attended by representatives from Xiaomi, Samsung, Apple and Vivo, the meeting record shows.
This is a welcome move.

Infact, I want a step further : government should mandate only system critical apps be pre-installed. For rest other apps, there may only be recommendation shortcuts; if a users feels need of an app, they can click the shortcut and install that particular app. This is important as many users may not be aware about the harms of pre-installed bloatware and less likely to uninstall.

Quote:
new models will be checked for compliance by a lab authorized by the Bureau of Indian Standards agency
This is something I don't agree with. Pre-screening is unnecessary intervention and may hinder time-to-market. Instead, companies should be asked to self-certify and hefty penalties be imposed if non-adherence is found/ reported by experts/ users. Also, I am not sure if BIS would have experts who can analyse the OS threadbare and find non-compliant apps that don't even appear in installed list.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:41   #11882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
A bit off-topic but Jio says 5G is free as a trial. Does it mean unlimited 5G data or the same data as per your current plan at 5G speeds?
Seems like it, I have exceeded my daily limit by a factor of 15-20x just for test purposes multiple times, didn't face any throttling or limit cap issue, speed is fantastic too. It's just that on Jio, you have to be on the Rs.239 recharge plan or above to avail this benefit.
MotoBlip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 15:23   #11883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
iPhone 14 Pro Max as my primary phone.
My question is regarding the secondary phone.
Currently doing that.

Quote:
Option 1: Sell the OnePlus 6 and use the OnePlus 7 Pro as the secondary.
OP6 is sold and OP7P i doing duty as the secondary.

Quote:
Option 2: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and use the OnePlus 6 as the secondary.
Ruled out as the OP6 is sold.

Quote:
Option 3: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and the OnePlus 6 and buy a new Android to use as the secondary.
Option 4: Sell the OnePlus 7 Pro and the OnePlus 6 and buy an old iPhone (X or newer) to use as the secondary.
Still keeping these 2 options open.
I have been searching for used older iPhones but all are either in bad condition or overpriced.

The android option is now limited to the Pixel. Otherwise I'll just keep the OP7P.

- Pixel 4 / 4XL - I really like this phone (specially in orange). Available on Amazon for around 20K. However most reviews say its not worth buying anymore. Also lacks 5G.

- Pixel 4a - Lacks 5G and does not feel premium. Pricing is good though.

- Pixel 4a 5G - Has the 5G but does not feel premium. Pricing not so sure what to say. VFM or not?

- Pixel 5a - Has the 5G but does not feel premium. Looks too similar to the 4a but pricing is almost the same as the 6a. Probably deserves a skip without second thought.

- Pixel 6a - Probably makes the most sense. Has everything you need except the wireless charging (which is not a deal breaker for me as its going to be the secondary phone). Pricing on Amazon and Flipkart is 31-32K. It was around 27-28K few days ago. I didn't buy as I was waiting for it to drop to around 24-25K. The US price has dropped to $299 which makes it a fantastic deal. A lot of reviewers had earlier to just skip it and go for the Pixel 6 instead as there was not a big price difference. However after the price drop the price difference between the 2 is quite a bit.

What do you guys think? Will the price of the 6a drop further or will it be discontinued at this price itself once the 7a is launched.
Old 26th March 2023, 21:30   #11884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Pixel 6a - Probably makes the most sense. Has everything you need except the wireless charging (which is not a deal breaker for me as its going to be the secondary phone).
So managed to pick up a Pixel 6A today. Saw an ad on OLX a few days ago. Seller was quoting 27K and I offered 23K. Finally she agreed for 25 K and included the Anker 20W Type C charger, a Spingen Black case and another non branded grey case. Phone is 2 months old and still under warranty. Phone is in immaculate condition and has only been used indoors. She said she was selling as she got an iPhone. Still setting it up and shifting selected data from the OP7P. The Pixel is 128 GB and the OP7P is 256.
Not a bad deal as the phone is currently selling at almost 32K. I got accessories worth Rs.2248. Basically if bought new I would spend around 34K.

The OP7P is going on sale on OLX and FB Marketplace shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-2a530374b5464c5ab58184fe2023e2ae.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-772c9a540bd4445b821bf0852510ed3b.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-27d27f2d869b4934aa85ddc0350a3014.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-347fe7209e8948c0abb7a5a347a28ef1.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-d2b0fb2678484590a867c94e5bb6c806.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-229df7dc18e04373ae8e328934e34c69.jpg  

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 26th March 2023 at 21:38.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 19:25   #11885
BHPian

Hi everyone, recently (6 months ago) I bought a refurbished iPhone XS 256 GB from US from backmarket.com and a friend carried it along. The battery health % was only 84 and I am regretting that decision since day 1. The phone shuts down abruptly, I have to charge atleast twice a day to make it through, and my main intention was a small phone, with a good camera and wanted to try out the iOS, and none of the three are working. Only saving grace is that this experiment was very cheap hence not all is lost.

With this being said, I am looking for a new phone, the criteria stay the same, excellent camera (non negotiable), any screen size is okay now, although not too big, and the battery should easily last the whole day atleast. Stock Android is preferred.

For now, Google Pixel 6A and the Motorola Edge 30 Fusion are my options that I am looking at. I am okay to wait, if there is a specific time around the year when I would get good discounts - The Motorola is at 39,999 and Pixel fluctuates around 30,000, but without a charger, which means additional 1000 for a decent one.

I am really impressed with the Motorola because of the body shape, form and the function - what's really holding me back is that the Pixels have the best camera and Google phone means good software support - although I have heard stories of the after sales being too expensive.

None of the two are available offline for me to check them personally, right?

Please advise - are there any other alternatives I am missing out?

P.S: Any idea when is the Pixel 7A launching?

Last edited by ManasN95 : 30th March 2023 at 19:27.
Old 30th March 2023, 19:48   #11886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
...I am regretting that decision since day 1. The phone shuts down abruptly, I have to charge atleast twice a day to make it through, and my main intention was a small phone, with a good camera and wanted to try out the iOS, and none of the three are working. Only saving grace is that this experiment was very cheap hence not all is lost.
Something inherently wrong with the phone that a battery swap won't fix?

Would cost a fraction of the price of even a new mid-range device.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th March 2023 at 19:52.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 08:24   #11887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Something inherently wrong with the phone that a battery swap won't fix?

Would cost a fraction of the price of even a new mid-range device.
I just don’t like iOS as well. Stock android is much more convenient for me.
Old 31st March 2023, 08:33   #11888
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just don’t like iOS as well...
Oh, no getting around it. Been there, done that. Happy hunting, can't go wrong with a Pixel.

If it's any use, the one time I needed Google support for warranty repairs on a 4a, it was a seamless pick up & drop after raising a ticket. Took about a week end-to-end, no cost to me.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 09:21   #11889
BANNED

Wife wants to buy a phone within 20K. Removed phones with MIUI because of bugs.

Which is the best phone within 20K?
Old 31st March 2023, 12:34   #11890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Wife wants to buy a phone within 20K. Removed phones with MIUI because of bugs.

Try the Vivo iQOO Z7.
Old 31st March 2023, 13:01   #11891
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Try the Vivo iQOO Z7.
Thanks for the suggestion. But Funtouch OS is crap, right?
Old 31st March 2023, 15:17   #11892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check the Motorola phones, listed in Flipkart.
Old 31st March 2023, 15:23   #11893
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. But Funtouch OS is crap, right?
If you have a laptop and some patience you can remove most of the bloatware installed in them. Once free of the bloatware it is much similar to most other custom OSs.

If you can up the budget a bit you can try the Motorola Edge 30. The G series Motos are not really worth the money.
Old 31st March 2023, 15:25   #11894
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Check the Motorola phones, listed in Flipkart.
Moto seems to be going downstream in '23. Lack of timely updates, Subpar cameras, battery draining issues etc.

G73 is in my list, but not made up my mind.
Old 31st March 2023, 15:35   #11895
BHPian

Quote:
Moto seems to be going downstream in '23. Lack of timely updates, Subpar cameras, battery draining issues etc.

G73 is in my list, but not made up my mind.
Quote:
I am really impressed with the Motorola because of the body shape, form and the function - what's really holding me back is that the Pixels have the best camera and Google phone means good software support - although I have heard stories of the after sales being too expensive.

P.S: Any idea when is the Pixel 7A launching?
Avoid the Moto's I would suggest. Poor battery backup and lack of software support. Cameras are poor too.

7a should land in May end or June post IO event.
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks