Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2022, 22:28   #11686
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Didn't know where to ask this question and is probably OT but I urgently need to know if people here have sent / received mobile phones using a courier service (within India)? The phone in question is brand new and needs to be shipped from Mumbai to Ahmednagar. Is it risky? I haven't really sent expensive electronic products in India. Which courier is the most reliable and what precautions should I take? Or its a bad idea?
I can't answer if it is risky or not but I have done it before.
Back in 2016, I really wanted to buy the Lenovo Vibe X3 but it used to come in stock on only few days of the week and amazon was not delivering it to my sub-urban location. So I got it delivered to my brother in Shimla who then couriered the 'brand new unboxed phone' to my town in UP. I don't remember which courier he had used and honestly, the safety point never crossed my mind! I just wanted to get the phone. It reached me safely.
You can use a popular courier service like Blue Dart or Delhivery, the risk of it losing is very miniscule unless your luck was extremely bad. Maybe try taking an insurance if there's one available.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 22:31   #11687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
The phone in question is brand new and needs to be shipped from Mumbai to Ahmednagar. Is it risky? I haven't really sent expensive electronic products in India. Which courier is the most reliable and what precautions should I take? Or its a bad idea?
Couriered phone from Rajasthan to West Bengal in 2018 via DTDC.

I had purchased an iPhone 6 from eBay in 2018. It was advertised as a brand new unboxed phone but it turned out to be a 5 year old refurbished phone and putting 17k made no sense on such a device.

I had returned the phone to the seller and I couriered it using DTDC couriers. My experience was very good with DTDC. My colleague had sent a phone to Jharkhand using the same courier and it was infact on his recommendation that I tried DTDC.

Tips:

1. Make sure phone is switched off. This is very important.

2. Pack the phone properly in its OEM box, using bubble wrap over it and then putting it inside another box (amazon flipkart boxes lying around?).

3. You have to declare the value of device and condition in the courier form. I declared it as a used phone having a value of approx. 5000 IIRC. This way, I had to pay around ₹550/- only, for shipping. I was willing to take this risk of declaring a lower value to save shipping cost.

BlueDart quoted an unrealistic courier charge. Don’t remember exactly but it was around 3-4k or something.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:54   #11688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Any solution?
When I faced it in the new Motorola A70 phone, I put the SIM in slot 2 and thought the issue was resolved. But it persists.
Is it an operator related issue? Will porting help?
How do you deal with it?
Thanks.
No solution or maybe I am not sure if the issue is actually resolved or not, because I heard very few complainers from my callers in the recent months about not picking up their calls. One thing I did is to divert my main phones number's calls on my office landline in case there is no reply from my mobile phone. I used to get lot of call notifications only on my landline when the issue was too frequent. The diverted calls are still there but they are rare now, like one or two in few days or in a month. I did not switch my carrier which is Airtel, I only got second VI sim and circulated with my contacts.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 09:46   #11689
BANNED

I am looking for a decent set of USB charging cables. I use it solely for charging & not for data transfer at all. I am not looking for extra long ones. I use the old style ones (the ones where you the direction of inserting matters).

I used to use Aukey's set of 3 cables long back. But then Amazon stopped selling it. Then bought Amazon Basics set of 3. Now they are also not available.

Which is a decent brand to buy now?
Old 5th January 2022, 13:39   #11690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for a decent set of USB charging cables. I use it solely for charging & not for data transfer at all. I am not looking for extra long ones. I use the old style ones (the ones where you the direction of inserting matters)...
I am using Redmi USB type A cables for the past two years. They are of good quality and are 120cms long. Before that had tried several aftermarket cables which hardly lasted 6 months. You could get it online from here and also there are similar products with shorter length and type A and C combined.

Last edited by RR96 : 5th January 2022 at 13:45.
RR96 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 13:44   #11691
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a decent set of USB charging cables.
=========
Amazon Basics cables are of fantastic quality. Also, you get it in different lengths like 3 feet, 6 feet and even 12 feet. Have been using them for almost 2 years and have nothing to complain about.
brownkaiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 14:25   #11692
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
I am using Redmi USB type A cables for the past two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
Amazon Basics cables are of fantastic quality.

What is the type of USB called - the older ones - where it fits only if it's facing the right side up? And what is the other type called?
Old 5th January 2022, 14:39   #11693
BHPian

Quote:
What is the type of USB called - the older ones - where it fits only if it's facing the right side up? And what is the other type called?
https://www.memorysuppliers.com/blog...-usb-and-usb-c

The above link has a picture right at the start to show the various types of USB connectors (from regular usb to mini-usb, micro usb (typically the older phones use this), type C (newer phones and even laptops use this.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 15:30   #11694
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Would suggest Amazon basics if they have what you want. I have bought 2 iphone cables ~ 2 years back and working great till now.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 21:42   #11695
BHPian

Hello forum members.

I am in urgent need of a new phone. With a lot of deliberations, I had finalized & ordered an iPhone 13 Pro (128 GB, unlocked) for myself from apple.com that was supposed to be delivered to my friend in NYC, and he was supposed to get it to Kolkata with himself.

Due to some unexpected technical glitches in payment & my friend's unwillingness to buy an iPhone from the store physically, the iPhone couldn't be bought, and my friend is already here in Kolkata.

I have already decided to buy the iPhone 13 Pro for myself. Problem is the budget, which is capped at INR 85000 & non-extendable. Further, my current phone has already worn-out & is currently in its last leg.

This is a request to all forum members, that if there is anybody at all who is coming from the US / has an acquaintance coming from the US, to help me procure an iPhone. The concerned person could be returning to any part of India, not necessarily Kolkata.

It would be of immense help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 12th January 2022 at 21:45.
Old 10th March 2022, 19:01   #11696
BHPian

There are zillions of options out there and it's confusing. I am not keeping tab on them. Have been using Honor 8X for years now and need to change now.

Could anybody recommend any good phone under 25000?

Looking for
-8 GB RAM with good processor
-Good Camera
-Good Battery life

Thanks!
Old 29th March 2022, 10:56   #11697
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the cheapest smartphone available that supports whatsapp and google maps? And is small. I have a S7 as a main phone, but the damn thing is just too big to sit comfortably in my pocket. Plus have replaced the screen twice after cracking it (even with a rubberized protective case). Looking for a much smaller and cheaper phone that I can carry around without much worry. I really miss the good old Samsung Duos that I used to have, that was perfect! Don't care about the camera or downgrading. Would prefer something from the mainstream brands like Apple or Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, not the Chinese imports. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:06   #11698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
There are zillions of options out there and it's confusing. I am not keeping tab on them. Have been using Honor 8X for years now and need to change now.

Looking for
-Good Camera
-Good Battery life

Thanks!
Mi 11i 5G
Realme 9Pro+5G
Poco

These 3 should are almost flagship and should be good for another 4-6 years
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:15   #11699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post

Looking for
-Good Camera
-Good Battery life
Realme 9 pro plus has variant with 8gigs of ram and 256gb storage which is a good device in that price range has a good set of back cameras and the front ones are also decent enough.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th March 2022 at 11:16. Reason: Quote tags fixed
VRod_24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 11:41   #11700
BHPian

Just watched this video on YouTube which came across as an eye opener for me. All this while, people believed that performance scores and other tests were true capabilities of their phones but it turns out it it isn't. Watch this video for a complete understanding-

While I understand that the makers face genuine problems and are trying to make our usage as seamless as possible, why lie? Yes, most people don't understand and refrain from getting into understanding these scores too but that doesn't mean you shortchange them with inflated figures. A single digit percentage difference in performance is understandable but the claim of almost a fourth (~24%) difference is a lot. Why even buy a flagship phone for performance in the first place then?
@og_adi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks