Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 13:51   #11581
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Looking for Samsung Galaxy M21 for mom. Her requirements are simple: Whatsapp, Youtube and good voice functions. Looking for a phone around 10-14k.

Suggestions welcome
Fingerprint sensor on this phone isn't great. Go ahead if that's not a huge concern.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:37   #11582
BHPian

Gentlemen,

Which is the cheapest phone on the market with IP68 protection. Is the P2I splash coating any good as seen on Mi Redmi phones. I am basically looking for a durable basic phone for my wife that can survive a toddler. The kid has already destroyed two phone mainly by putting it in mouth ( saliva in ports/speakers ), splashing milk/water, dropping/throwing the phone.

Regards,
JediKnight.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:47   #11583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Gentlemen,

Which is the cheapest phone on the market with IP68 protection.
Possibly the Lg G8x.

https://www.flipkart.com/lg-g8x-blac...me8a4f5f473aa4
Old 29th December 2020, 16:56   #11584
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Citibank mobile app in my redmi note 8 pro since more than a year.

However, since last 2 weeks, app takes 4 to 4.5 mins to render login page if I use mobile data

If I use wifi, it just works normally.

What could be the issue? I logged a call with Citibank and got reply saying it could be network issue.

I logged call with Airtel network service provider and they said it's app issue.

I am able to access internet with out any issue for other apps.

Please help
Old 29th December 2020, 17:25   #11585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Looking for Samsung Galaxy M21 for mom. Her requirements are simple: Whatsapp, Youtube and good voice functions. Looking for a phone around 10-14k.

Suggestions welcome
Purchased M21 for my father some time back from a retail store at 13.5k for 4 GB version. Use case was similar of calls, Whatsapp and Youtube. Online price was cheaper but apprehensive about getting an unsealed, returned piece, so went this way for guaranteed fresh, sealed piece.

Initial impressions are good, with good display, good battery life of 2 days (long to charge though) and okayish camera. Fingerprint is not most accurate, but have setup face recognition for father and its pretty fast, so no problems there. Some unwanted apps were there, but able to remove most of them.
Old 31st December 2020, 07:23   #11586
Senior - BHPian

Any one aware of all the bands I need to have in my phone for it work in the USA?
I am aware India mostly uses 3 5 8 40 41 and US has 2 4 12 13 17 25 20 and 66.

Almost all the phones upto 30,000 or so only have India specific bands. The expensive Samsung models work overseas since they have all global bands. IPhones and one plus work too. Other then these three any brand sold in India that anyone has used on a US network?
I am looking for a midrange phone that would work on US GSM networks. Any specific model that someone has actually used. I have already done frequency matching on GSM arena for most midrange models.

Last edited by bigron : 31st December 2020 at 07:30.
Old 31st December 2020, 08:56   #11587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Any one aware of all the bands I need to have in my phone for it work in the USA?
I've been using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro in AT&T network for the past 2.5 years. Been using Redmi Note 3 before that for a year. I've also tested both phones with a T-Mobile SIM. By that logic Redmi Note 9 Pro (running SD 720G) should work fine in the US. I'm not sure of non pro variant as they're running Mediatek chipsets. If you have a phone lying around, you can always check compatibility at the carrier website by keying in the IMEI.
https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireles...checkIMEI.html
https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 10:52   #11588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Gentlemen,

Which is the cheapest phone on the market with IP68 protection. Is the P2I splash coating any good as seen on Mi Redmi phones. I am basically looking for a durable basic phone for my wife that can survive a toddler. The kid has already destroyed two phone mainly by putting it in mouth ( saliva in ports/speakers ), splashing milk/water, dropping/throwing the phone.

Regards,
JediKnight.
If you are looking for a cheapest water resistant phone, I would recommend you to look at poco x3 which starts at around 17k without discounts/offers. It is a pretty good phone. Regarding P2I splash coating, it can only protect from mild rain.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 11:06   #11589
BHPian

My wife is looking to buy a phone. The following are the requirements:

1. Price around 25000
2. Good camera
3. She keeps her phones for 3 years. So, I guess it would be good to have 5G support.

Please recommend suitable phones.
Old 31st December 2020, 14:43   #11590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
My wife is looking to buy a phone.

Please recommend suitable phones.

Dear KL01toKA03,

For your wife, I will suggest Oneplus Nord 8+128GB. OnePlus promises 3 years of Security updates with their phones so all in all, It will be a very good buy.
Old 31st December 2020, 23:19   #11591
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a durable smart mobile phone, one which lasts 5/6 years workout screen or buttons trouble. Marginal degradation in battery is acceptable. Any suggestions?

Last edited by msdivy : 31st December 2020 at 23:32.
Old 31st December 2020, 23:48   #11592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Looking for a durable smart mobile phone, one which lasts 5/6 years workout screen or buttons trouble. Marginal degradation in battery is acceptable. Any suggestions?
Short answer -

Android - Pixel series depending on your budget

Android alternative - iPhone, again, your budget decides the model.

From personal experience - if you want a mobile phone to last 5/6 years, you'll surely need some luck!
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 08:56   #11593
BHPian

Suggest an android phone under the budget 25K.
Considering LG G8x which is retailing at 24K. Another option is Samsung M51 which again is around 22K. I am not a heavy user but need few apps running simultaneously. Occasional gaming and constant Team BHP Outlook, few videos and office calls is what I am looking at.
Generally use the Chinese makes like Xiomi, Real Me etc which go kaput in 2 years. Now looking to spend few more grands for a phone which is reliable and last for half a decade.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 1st January 2021 at 08:58.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 09:31   #11594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Suggest an android phone under the budget 25K.
Considering LG G8x which is retailing at 24K. Another option is Samsung M51 which again is around 22K. I am not a heavy user but need few apps running simultaneously. Occasional gaming and constant Team BHP Outlook, few videos and office calls is what I am looking at.
Generally use the Chinese makes like Xiomi, Real Me etc which go kaput in 2 years. Now looking to spend few more grands for a phone which is reliable and last for half a decade.
Unless you just want to have a very limited use for a phone no phone is going to last you half a decade specially in the 20k/25k category. People still do it though. Its all about how you want the experience to be.

The LG comes with a SD 855 which should hold you good for about 3 years. The hardware on it is competent but since its already a year old, do not expect much in terms of software updates. LG has a bad software update record. ( have this as a back up phone)
M51 comes with the SD730G which is a fairly new chipset . Everything else is midrange on that phone and again should last you about 3 years before the internals start showing their age and hamper usability. Samsung has now committed itself to 3 software updates and if the M class is covered that is good.

The only phones that will last you over 3 years without the need to upgrade or hamper usability or features are the top tier Samsungs,
(a note 9/ s9+ are still fantastic), Oneplus ( people still use their OP6) and the iphones ( enough ip6/7 users around). The Google phones are also good and get the software support but otherwise they are basic and expensive for what they bring.

Last edited by bigron : 1st January 2021 at 09:36.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 13:08   #11595
Senior - BHPian

What are the phones that feature a second space like Xiaomi? I'm trying to choose between s20+, oppo find x2 and 1 plus 8 pro. Also, are the screen issues on 1 plus 8 Pro sorted?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks