Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 16:31   #11476
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I'm looking to buy a mobile phone for my mother
Any recommendations?
Did you buy anything? I am in the same boat as you. I have been asked to wait for the Samsung m31 which is due in a week. Might just wait for a few opening reviews before biting the bullet. I am warming up to the fact that maybe it’s better to get one 15k phone every two years as opposed to a 30k phone every three years (pixel with three year updates).

Last edited by Red Liner : 17th February 2020 at 16:32.
Old 17th February 2020, 17:20   #11477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Did you buy anything? I am in the same boat as you..
I bought the Samsung M30S. As there was a significant screen size increase from iphone 5s, my mom is quite happy with it. So far no problems. The battery is useful and she needs to charge it only once in a few days with her kind of usage.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 17:34   #11478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi Nikhil! I own a 7T too. Its a perfect device. No issues observed so far.
Hi Sairam! Thanks for your input! I had already purchased the 7 pro sometime last month and am quite impressed with the way it performs. Huge step up from my previous iPhone and got it at an irresistible price.
Old 20th February 2020, 22:04   #11479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
You and me are in the same boat. Officially, Nokia hasn't launched 2720 Flip here in India but it is available on Amazon if you wanna buy.
Finally went ahead and ordered the Nokia 2720 from Amazon. I was too tired of waiting for its India launch.

Waiting for phone to arrive. I have to see if the weaning will really work
Old 20th February 2020, 23:10   #11480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Hi Sairam! Thanks for your input! I had already purchased the 7 pro sometime last month and am quite impressed with the way it performs. Huge step up from my previous iPhone and got it at an irresistible price.
Could you please share which was iPhone were you using before upgrading to OP7 Pro?
I am also looking to replace my iPhone 7 due to it’s battery issues. Its health has dropped below 80% & it hardly lasts even a day with less then normal usage. Battery replacement costs about 5-5 to 6k, which is quite a sum for a 3 year old iPhone 7.
I am confused whether to go for the iPhone 11 or wait for the 12; or just drop off from iOS & re-join the Android bandwagon.
Old 21st February 2020, 09:35   #11481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Could you please share which was iPhone were you using before upgrading to OP7 Pro?
I am also looking to replace my iPhone 7 due to it’s battery issues. Its health has dropped below 80% & it hardly lasts even a day with less then normal usage. Battery replacement costs about 5-5 to 6k, which is quite a sum for a 3 year old iPhone 7.
I am confused whether to go for the iPhone 11 or wait for the 12; or just drop off from iOS & re-join the Android bandwagon.
I too had an iPhone 7. That battery health was roughly 83% as well for me. When looking to purchase a phone, I was limited by budget. I couldn't afford to go beyond 40k which is where the OP came in.

Even if my budget was higher, I would've still taken the 7 pro over the iPhones as I simply do not see much innovation any more. The 11 is basically a XR with an extra lens and the Apple logo positioned in the middle. So even if you had to consider the former, it would've been better to go for the latter as you wouldn't feel shortchanged and still pay a lower price. I don't know what Apple intends to do with the next iteration. We may possibly get a camera that doubles up as a phone.

So far, I'm happy with the Oneplus, speed is insane and the display is just simply amazing. The same display would be 1 lakh if you had to ask Apple.
Old 21st February 2020, 12:56   #11482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I too had an iPhone 7. That battery health was roughly 83% as well for me. When looking to purchase a phone, I was limited by budget. I couldn't afford to go beyond 40k which is where the OP came in.
Thanks for your reply Nikhil. I for one do not like the LCD display of the iPhone 11, and the Pro’s are way expensive.
On a side note, I also noticed that the OP 7T display though AMOLED doesn’t look that striking. As a matter of fact, I found the display of Redmi K20 Pro to be better.
But yeah, the one’s on the 7 & 7T Pro are beautiful.
I guess I will hold on for now & check what the OP has to offer with their next iteration which is due soon.
Old 29th February 2020, 09:46   #11483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Finally went ahead and ordered the Nokia 2720 from Amazon. I was too tired of waiting for its India launch.

Waiting for phone to arrive. I have to see if the weaning will really work
Hey Indian21r, so what's the verdict? is it really worth plonking the money?
Old 1st March 2020, 22:03   #11484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hey Indian21r, so what's the verdict? is it really worth plonking the money?
Got the Nokia Flip 2720 for Rs 6817/- (It is a middle east product made in Vietnam, supports Hindi as well). If we add the 10x HDFC rewards on Diners black, works to roughly Rs 4800. For this price to get the feel of the flip back is totally worth it. Coming to the main aspect.

It is serving its purpose to help me wean of the smartphone to some extent. Not fully replaceable yet. Smartphones are essentially laptops while this is more of communication device with a few add ons added

As a phone:
  • Signal is way better than Iphone 6s Plus
  • Sound is crisp and clear. Supports VOLTE as well VoWIFI as it has 4g. Hotspot is good.
  • Flip is good. Could have been more sturdy. But it is surviving the abuse right now. Averages 150-200 flips a day
  • Notifications in the small screen are clear and easy to read
  • Phone survived couple of 3 foot falls . Yay no need for Guards / protectors now
  • Camera is not worth mentioning in this age of Multi Megapixels. Don't care about the games
  • Day 1 and 2 phone crashed and was really sluggish when accessing contacts. But it is better now. Still takes 5 -10 seconds to access contacts. Supposedly Indexing is done on numbers. If you type the number it is pretty fast in the search.
  • Battery lasts a whole day with 4g and hotspot running most of the time. Charging is slow.

KaiOS:
    • This supports decent amount of apps like
    • Googel Assistant - Used it for calls. 50/50 success as of now
    • youtube works well
    • Maps /Email/ Browser - Useful in emergency
    • Accounts- Could import contacts from google
    • Whatsapp KaiOS featues - Missing some features which I need https://www.androidauthority.com/whatsapp-kaios-980729/
    • Facebook - Deleted this
    • twitter - Don't use

Miss android auto /Car play - Again a positive is less distractions while driving
    Currently using maps with 4g hotspot and it is working perfectly well.
Let me know if you need more info.

Overall the phone is able to survive as the daily driver. Though it needs a smartphone if more features are needed on a full time basis. My Iphone goes into the laptop bag or stays in the car. I still use the iphone for whatsapp and bank related apps.

For heavy messengers, this is not the device yet. My usage is not the typical smart phone user. So it is easy for me to switch. A few people were really happy to see the flip phones again

Last edited by indian21r : 1st March 2020 at 22:10.
Old 20th March 2020, 09:30   #11485
Senior - BHPian

Not sure whether to post this on the mobile thread or the corona virus thread.

We are all washing our hands a dozen times a day, but does it really help if we keep touching our phones throughout the day ?

Do we need to do anything to disinfect our phones ?

Rohan
Old 21st March 2020, 14:13   #11486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Do we need to do anything to disinfect our phones ?
Rohan
I use this on my phone, wife's and kid's.

A pair for each phone, at least twice a day.

However, I bought it for 299/- and currently it's selling for 689/-, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Pls check Amazon for the same product, if you are interested.

Initially, I went to Apollo medical for buying alcohol swabs, but they would not give me more than 10 pairs. I did buy them, and found effective, so ordered online.

Have used around 80 swabs so far, none were dry. Product is good.

Pls don't forget to wash your hands as per WHO guidelines BEFORE & AFTER carrying out this activity.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-1584779799763.jpg  

Old 21st March 2020, 14:47   #11487
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I use this on my phone, wife's and kid's.
A pair for each phone, at least twice a day.
However, I bought it for 299/- and currently it's selling for 689/-, so I wouldn't recommend it.

This is most probably Isopropyl Alcohol also called as Rubbing Alcohol or Surgical/Clinical Spirit. You can get a 100ml bottle at a medical shop for Rs. 35.
Old 21st March 2020, 16:45   #11488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This is most probably Isopropyl Alcohol also called as Rubbing Alcohol or Surgical/Clinical Spirit. You can get a 100ml bottle at a medical shop for Rs. 35.
Yes, but medical stores, when I needed it, were quoting all COVID-19 related stuff as out of stock.

Didn't get a sanitizer 3 weeks back, no Isopropyl Alcohol, no Nitrile gloves and only a limited supply of alcohol swabs.

As per them, the Government was picking up directly from stockists and wholesalers, and they were not receiving supplies. Some of these are well known medical stores.in Bangalore.
Old 21st March 2020, 16:56   #11489
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am in the same boat as you. I have been asked to wait for the Samsung m31 which is due in a week.
Also in the same boat, on the lookout for a sturdy phone for myself not exceeding 15k, even better if I can get similar performance for under 10k, by performance I'm more leaning towards practical use say multitask between 4/5 apps without any of them closing or refreshing as I tend to work a lot on my phone.

Sturdiness would also be appreciated since phones usually don't last more than 6 Months with me, I tried shifting to cheaper entry level phones to cut losses(Latest being Redmi RediGo, Lasted barely 3 months) but they suck when it comes to processing power.

So for the time being shortlisted;

1. Samsung M31 - It's a Samsung! Not a brand addict but my fallback device is a Samsung Tab A and it has been with me for over a year, remarkable life for my use, but then it could simply be cause I cannot tether it to my motorcycle or take it along for extended rides. Then again it has been dropped and bumped around quite a bit.

2. Redmi Note 9 Pro Max - Triple CG 5 Protection, same price as the M31(6GB RAM, 64 GB Storage) but comes with a 33W Charger inbox!

3. Realme 6 - For 16k I get 8GB of RAM, 128GB Storage and 30W Fast Charger, tests show this to be more sturdy than the Note 9 Pro in spite of having a plastic back and a front CG3 only display. In fact Realme seems to make the most sturdiest phones within the budget as far as YouTube tear-down's go.

4. Realme C3 - For 8k I can get 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage, the battery is 5000ah but comes with 10W Charging via a MicroUSB port, whereas the rest uses Type-C, the benefits I doubt would really matter.

So that's where I stand now, should I really spend 15~16k and get a mid range or should I spend about half of that and go for an upper-entry level phone that from the looks of it seems more or less in the ballpark when it comes to performance i.e when comparing with the 6GB RAM variants not the 8GB RAM variant.

So experts do pour in their thoughts.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 21st March 2020, 17:04   #11490
Distinguished - BHPian

I am kind of averse to a chinese owned manufacturer phone, more so that their SARS values are not the best. I would just go with the Samsung since you have had a good experience in the past.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks