Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2020, 23:21   #11491
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
So that's where I stand now, should I really spend 15~16k and get a mid range or should I spend about half of that and go for an upper-entry level phone that from the looks of it seems more or less in the ballpark when it comes to performance i.e when comparing with the 6GB RAM variants not the 8GB RAM variant.

So experts do pour in their thoughts.
I agree with Red Liner. If you have been happy with a particular brand then stick with it.

I would recommend the Samsung M21 for you. It's a little toned down version of the M31 but should be sufficient for your usage requirements.

Last edited by Oxy : 21st March 2020 at 23:22.
Old 21st March 2020, 23:59   #11492
BANNED

I believe 15K is the minimum that one should spend on phones today.
Anything less is just underpowered and laggy, and doesnt get any updates.
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:27   #11493
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I believe 15K is the minimum that one should spend on phones today.
Anything less is just underpowered and laggy, and doesnt get any updates.
Some of these Xiaomi and similar brand budget phones are pretty decent. If you have a 2 or 3 year upgrade cycle, it shouldn’t matter.
Old 1st April 2020, 23:47   #11494
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

What are the recommended VFM android smartphones in the 10-15k budget range, can go up another 2-3k if needed. Looking mainly at decent battery, camera and form factor.
Very happy with my 2018 Redmi Note 5 Pro but this is for wifey and she may prefer something slightly smaller.
How is the Samsung M30 ?
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:13   #11495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What are the recommended VFM android smartphones in the 10-15k budget range, can go up another 2-3k if needed. Looking mainly at decent battery, camera and form factor.
Very happy with my 2018 Redmi Note 5 Pro but this is for wifey and she may prefer something slightly smaller.
How is the Samsung M30 ?
I strongly suggest to avoid M30. I purchased one 10 months back and did factory resets twice already. The phone becomes very laggy that its unusable after updates are installed and only way out is to factory reset. Its a known problem among M30 customers and no one has a solution except reset according to internet. Now I stopped taking any more updates on the phone.

Second one is people not able to reach me while I am standing outside with 100% range. I get a SMS that I missed a call and next minute if the caller retries I get the call. Happens 2-3 times per day. If I swap the SIM to my old Moto G4+, I never get this problem. Not sure if this has to do with an Indian phone being used in Australia.

Camera is not good, too much software touches on the image.

Bluetooth drivers dont work well with my Jabra and Sony headsets, often gets disconnected.

On the positive side is Battery. Even now, I get two days backup. Phone is relatively sturdy, it survived multiple falls with a normal cover.

For records - I am not a heavy user, zero games and probably some 20 apps installed over the stock one.

Last edited by arjithin : 2nd April 2020 at 04:18. Reason: Added call drop issue
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 07:58   #11496
BANNED

Why not the Redmi note 9 Pro launched last month
vjoy3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 13:53   #11497
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any feedback on Redmi Note 7 Pro and Redmi Note 8 (both priced same since 7 Pro is older)

*considering Note 8 since it's slightly smaller and tad easier to handle
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 14:37   #11498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any feedback on Redmi Note 7 Pro and Redmi Note 8 (both priced same since 7 Pro is older)
Go for these only if you are okay with intrusive ads. One can't even clear the cache without being pestered by them. Bypassing them takes time and hence, anything in terms of speed and fluidity that the phones offer, gets lost.

Otherwise, both phones are VFM offerings.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 14:44   #11499
BHPian

Quote:

*considering Note 8 since it's slightly smaller and tad easier to handle
Note 7 pro has a better processor. I'd go for it over the note 8. You can always flash a custom stock Android ROM once the warranty period is over, if you don't like MIUI.

Another phone worth considering, although inferior to these phones, is the Realme C3. I bought the 4GB variant recently for Rs. 5500 (after exchanging one of my old phones for 2.5k). Been using it for a couple of weeks now and it seems to be a pretty good phone with amazing battery life. I chose Realme over Redmi only because RealmeUI allows the user to switch off ads.
boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 15:07   #11500
BHPian

I am in search for a device that can manage my entire workflow; everything from to-do lists, reminders to social media endeavours (primarily Instagram), video quality at par with the equipment used by popular youtube vloggers, note taking with mark-up and ability to take snippets from various sources, brain storming. I have a budget of around 1,00,000-1,10,000, is it worth it to extend my budget for a Galaxy Fold?
Old 4th April 2020, 15:57   #11501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID2997 View Post
I am in search for a device that can manage my entire workflow; everything from to-do lists, reminders to social media endeavours (primarily Instagram), video quality at par with the equipment used by popular Youtube vloggers, note taking with mark-up and ability to take snippets from various sources, brain storming. I have a budget of around 1,00,000-1,10,000, is it worth it to extend my budget for a Galaxy Fold?
I don't use one, however, iPhone is the best when it comes to video recording, both front & rear capabilities.

Everything else can be managed by any flagship phone.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 4th April 2020 at 16:04.
Safety is Param is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:35   #11502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am in search for a device that can manage my entire workflow; everything from to-do lists, reminders to social media endeavours (primarily Instagram), video quality at par with the equipment used by popular Youtube vloggers, note taking with mark-up and ability to take snippets from various sources, brain storming. I have a budget of around 1,00,000-1,10,000, is it worth it to extend my budget for a Galaxy Fold?
As mentioned above, the iPhone 11 Pro Max 256/512GB should be your best bet. I use a Samsung S10 and wifey got a S20+ but the picture/video quality of the latest iPhone Pro series is unmatched. I have a Pro but suggested Pro Max for you because larger screen works better for your requirement.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 19:36   #11503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest the Note 10 plus. Yes, it is few months old but when it comes to productivity and do it all nothing beats it. Also, its going to be well under your budget.

I use a 11 Pro Max, and frankly its average at best. It replaced my X which was great when it was launched but the game has moved on.

Stay away from the Galaxy Fold. Its more like a prototype device.

With the Note 10 Plus, you save enough to even get a stand alone tablet if yu want even more productivity. Just a thought.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 20:27   #11504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
As mentioned above, the iPhone 11 Pro Max 256/512GB should be your best bet. I use a Samsung S10 and wifey got a S20+ but the picture/video quality of the latest iPhone Pro series is unmatched. I have a Pro but suggested Pro Max for you because larger screen works better for your requirement.
Hi vb-san, I would like to know your feedback on the S20+. Just curious to know coz Samsung is bashed a lot for offering the supposedly inferior Exynos processor in the global markets(including India). So far how's the experience especially the OS; it's fluidity and easy of usage. I have also seen reports of the phone heating a lot under heavy usage(leave aside gaming). Also, anything specific that you may wish to highlight. There aren't many users of the new Samsung S20 series here, hence your inputs on this would be great.

Thanks.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 21:07   #11505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Hi vb-san, I would like to know your feedback on the S20+. Just curious to know coz Samsung is bashed a lot for offering the supposedly inferior Exynos processor in the global markets(including India). So far how's the experience especially the OS; it's fluidity and easy of usage. I have also seen reports of the phone heating a lot under heavy usage(leave aside gaming). Also, anything specific that you may wish to highlight. There aren't many users of the new Samsung S20 series here, hence your inputs on this would be great.
We got it on Wednesday, so just a few days of usage. Initial impressions are great. Note 8 -> Note 9 -> S10 -> Note 10 felt like Audi cars across generations, minor improvements from one model to other, but this one is a different animal. Samsung displays are always great, but with this one the Natural screen mode really feels natural, the camera is a big step up from the previous models. It is getting closer to the real deal (read Pixel, iPhone etc.). The processing felt minimal compared my S10 (work phone). The selfie camera still try to make you a bit more beautiful but still a good improvement.

The new Samsung UI is pretty good, not much of added bloatware there. I believe here in Singapore also we get the Exynos processor, but frankly we have not noticed any speed issues, or heating issues. I have been using the S10 for past one year, that also has the Exynos processor.

The new Samsung flagships are really good, I got an iPhone as the personal phone because (1) did not want to carry two Samsung devices, and (2) I moved from Pixel 2 XL to iPhone 11 Pro because I really liked the feel of the new iPhone, especially the size of the 11 Pro, and the brilliant camera setup.

Edit: My wife was so used to the S-Pen and was almost closing on the Note 10+, but a side-by-side comparison sealed the deal for the S20+. And we normally change phone every 12-18 months, and the latest model give a better buy back price

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th April 2020 at 21:09.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks