Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:23   #11326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
You're already on iOS, so any specific reason for considering Android? You might not enjoy the change (few do, in either direction!). I'd say a current or current-1 generation iPhone (e.g. last year's X) would be my recommendation.

I have changed between android and iPhone a number of times over the last few years.

BTW, tried a friends oneplus 6 and found it extremely snappy and fast. My only issue with it are the not so great photos. But taking into account that it's half the price of the apple xr and pixel 3xl, I don't think this is a bad choice at all. I guess I should go for this
Old 1st January 2019, 17:18   #11327
BANNED

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Will a "CB-CD2 USB-C to USB 3.0 Data Sync" cable work for charging this phone - https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xa1_ultra-8595.php

I know the phone is USB-C - but it seems to be USB 2.0 - so will it work - I am OK with just charging - not planning to use the cable for data. Also what the hell is CB-CD2?
Old 4th March 2019, 11:55   #11328
BANNED

Are there any adapters which can allow you to use a old style regular USB charger for a USB-C phone? Not interested in data transfer just plain old charging.
Old 4th March 2019, 12:16   #11329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are there any adapters which can allow you to use a old style regular USB charger for a USB-C phone? Not interested in data transfer just plain old charging.

I would say don't go for any adapter. A charger port is the only physical input port, and any such adapter will be non-OEM. If you are not looking for data transfer, any good company USB-C cable will do. I too thought the same when all phones at home have USB & only my phone has USB-C. But then I realized charger and cable quality is most important for longevity of the phone. So now this additional USB-C wire always travels with me.
Old 4th March 2019, 13:05   #11330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Yes there are. Typically available off of amazon for 100-200 bucks. Samsung phones typically ship with one such converter.
Old 4th March 2019, 13:49   #11331
BHPian

Hi Guys, need a basic smart phone for my father who is retired and not too much into gadgets & technology. A basic phone with Whatsapp, Facebook, Youtube & some stock trading apps should be good. A good camera is not a requirement, neither is a big screen size.

I am looking for something around 5-7k. Have my eyes set on Nokia 2.1 as of now. Any other phone that I can look at?
Old 5th March 2019, 09:25   #11332
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
I am looking for something around 5-7k. Have my eyes set on Nokia 2.1 as of now. Any other phone that I can look at?
I would suggest you buy a phone with atleast 32GB of internal memory because WhatsApp is something that eats up memory very quickly.

So look at phones like these ones:

1. Realme 3
2. Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1
3. Samsung M10
4. Redmi Y2

If increasing the budget is not a possibility at all then the Asus Lite L1 is the best phone available for the price.
Old 6th March 2019, 21:26   #11333
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
The Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (3GB/32GB variant) is now available for Rs.7,999 while the Asus Zenfone Lite L1 (2GB/16GB) can be had for Rs.4,999. These are great phones at such prices.

Check them out on Flipkart.
Old 6th March 2019, 22:01   #11334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1
Quote:
The Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (3GB/32GB variant) is now available for Rs.7,999
I have purchased the same phone a month ago for my father. Its a good pick at that price; but the absence of a separate inbuilt gallery and persistent issues of contacts duplication are two downers. While the former has been addressed by using the google photos app, the latter is a real headache. I have deleted duplicate contacts at least thrice (and my father has done it multiple times) and they reappear in two three days. Seems to be a bug that Asus isn't really interested in fixing.
Old 6th March 2019, 22:07   #11335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
but the absence of a separate inbuilt gallery

Android doesn't have an inbuilt gallery for quite a few versions now, I think.
Old 8th March 2019, 10:25   #11336
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you buy a phone with atleast 32GB of internal memory because WhatsApp is something that eats up memory very quickly.

So look at phones like these ones:

1. Realme 3
2. Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1
3. Samsung M10
4. Redmi Y2

If increasing the budget is not a possibility at all then the Asus Lite L1 is the best phone available for the price.
Quote:
The Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (3GB/32GB variant) is now available for Rs.7,999 while the Asus Zenfone Lite L1 (2GB/16GB) can be had for Rs.4,999. These are great phones at such prices.

Check them out on Flipkart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I have purchased the same phone a month ago for my father. Its a good pick at that price; but the absence of a separate inbuilt gallery and persistent issues of contacts duplication are two downers. While the former has been addressed by using the google photos app, the latter is a real headache. I have deleted duplicate contacts at least thrice (and my father has done it multiple times) and they reappear in two three days. Seems to be a bug that Asus isn't really interested in fixing.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I ended up increasing the budget and ordered Nokia 5.1 Plus on Flipkart sale for 9000.00 INR. The reviews look good for the kind of usage it is intended for and on this price point I think it is value for money.
Old 8th March 2019, 14:49   #11337
BHPian

Mid-range phone - need suggestions

Am in market for a mid-range phone - need suggestions.

Usage pattern is pretty standard: Browsing (normally use mobile web browser than dedicated apps), Whatsapp, FB, Media apps (Gaana/Saavn/YouTube/AmazonPrime) and likes. I am not into gaming.
I like to have good camera.
I am willing to spend upto 20K ~ thereabout.

Confused between Redmi Note Pro, Samsung M30 and Poco F1. Any suggestions.

My observations
Poco F1: Best hardware, ergonomic to hold (due to plastic/kavlar), Decent camera. Most expensive of the 3.
Redmi Note Pro: Best camera, Nice processor. Cheapest. Concerns around recent adware in MIUI.
Samsung M30: Average hardware, Triple camera set-up (ultra-wide), Still on Oreo, Never used Samsung phone / UI?

Last edited by dmplog : 8th March 2019 at 14:49. Reason: changed title
Old 9th March 2019, 08:41   #11338
BHPian

Your needs will be met with the Redmi Note 7 or even the 5.
I would recommend the Poco only for its processing power and RAM.
Old 10th March 2019, 07:25   #11339
BHPian

Re: Mid-range phone - need suggestions

For a little more money, I got a (close-to) a flagship model. Bought LG V30+ from flipkart for 23.5 k two weeks back with B&O earphones. I am very happy with the mobile and you too will be, specially if you like music thanks to the quad DAC.

Give it a try, but buy only from flipkart. The one from amazon is not B&O version. Mobile comes with 128 GB storage and 4 GB RAM and amazing display with a easy to handle size though the display is 6 inch. And, there is no notch.

Goodluck with your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

Last edited by girishv : 10th March 2019 at 07:27. Reason: Removed excess quote and commas
Old 10th March 2019, 07:52   #11340
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Mid-range phone - need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

I am willing to spend upto 20K ~ thereabout.
Check out the Samsung A50, specs look great for the price.

The Kevlar variant of the Poco F1 won't be available for 20k, it's much more expensive (almost 30k I think).

Personally I won't buy a Xiaomi phone again for the MIUI adverts alone, that is a big enough deal breaker for me.

Other potential deal breakers of the Redmi Note 7 Pro include: Hybrid sim slot (which means you have to choose between using 2 sim cards and using a memory card), and a downgraded front camera compared to the Redmi Note 6 Pro.

Last edited by Oxy : 10th March 2019 at 08:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks