Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2018, 18:22   #11311
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Dear fellow Phone Geeks here, what is the best VFM phone currently available in Inida for around 20K after deals/discount?

Have been using Nexus 5 since 2014 (when launched). Had Iphone 4 before that. Priorities:

1) Build Quality - Iphone or LG Nexus leagues. Very important.
2) Dual Simm - Very Important.
3) 4G - Very Important.
4) Good Batter Life - Important.
5) Brand - Immaterial.
6) Size - Under 5.5 (max) inches for screen.

Usage is usually centered around:

1) Internet Browsing, WhatsApp or Telegram, Google Maps.
2) Limited paring with TV or integration with CromeCast.
3) Using the phone as hotspot extensively. Do not have any broadband at home and hence use JIO via hotspot to the max for internet.

In consideration: Nokia 6, Moto X4. Please recommend if there is any other to consider. Open to any brand that satisfies the above mentioned parameters.

-Sunil
Old 25th July 2018, 02:45   #11312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post

In consideration: Nokia 6, Moto X4. Please recommend if there is any other to consider. Open to any brand that satisfies the above mentioned parameters.

-Sunil
I believe the new Xiaomi A2 lite and A2 will meet most of your criteria except the screen size which should not be an issue due to the smaller bezels these days 6 inch phones are similar in size to 5.5 inch phones from last year. These phones are launching on 8th August and should make for a compelling buy in the segment. You can also take a look on the Note 5 pro on which the A2 pro is essentially based.
Old 25th July 2018, 09:42   #11313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Using the phone as hotspot extensively. Do not have any broadband at home and hence use JIO via hotspot to the max for internet.
Will suggest you to have a Jio Fi [the small handy modem] for your home use, its portable and has decent coverage. The hot spot puts too much strain on battery and most phones [be it iPhone or any Android] tends to run hot after some time.

Plenty of phones by Xiaomi/Honor, have a look at them. I find them to be built well.
Old 25th July 2018, 10:23   #11314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
...the new Xiaomi A2 lite and A2 will meet most of your criteria.....
Thanks ToyotaFan. Will wait for A2 to come out then. This one sounds good in terms of specs and expected price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Will suggest you to have a Jio Fi .....
Plenty of phones by Xiaomi/Honor, have a look at them....
Thanks Sheel. I have the Jio Fi hot-spot device currently. It is just the hassle of turning it on and off many times that is making me switch to the phone. But you are spot on in terms of the heat issues. My phone starts frying if I use it as a hot-spot for more than 20 mins.

Honor phone .. I didn't get good feedback from some folks who have it. I sort of have buttery fingers perhaps and hence my phones are prone to frequent falls. Have a kid as well at home who likes phones and hence looking for good build quality. Will check out the Xiaomi options.
Old 27th July 2018, 15:19   #11315
Senior - BHPian

Looking for the official Protective Rosewood Case For OnePlus 5.
Any leads please?
Old 28th July 2018, 06:35   #11316
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
If it's the micro USB charging cable
I don't understand - what other kind is there other than the Micro USB. Sorry if the question is silly.

I am so confused with all the charging cable terms - Type C, Micro B, A Male, B Male, A Female etc. I have no idea what all these mean - so I just go to the shop and buy rather than buying online.

Quote:
AUKEY Micro USB Cable 3x1.2m QC 2.0/3.0 USB Phone Cable Android Cable Data Transfer
http://s.aliexpress.com/iIbyIje6?fromSns=WhatsApp
Which type is it?

Quote:

Locally, I prefer anything that is Amazon Basics branded. Have never been disappointed.
Can you link me to one? As I said, I am confused by the terms. I need the standard old style Android phone one - not the ones which come with some new phones. I don't particularly need it to support data.

Last edited by carboy : 28th July 2018 at 06:37.
Old 28th July 2018, 12:16   #11317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I don't understand - what other kind is there other than the Micro USB
Pls. see the pic enclosed. It shows the most common connectors in use.

Pls. identify yours from these connectors, most probably yours would be a micro USB.

If it is, the link in my earlier post takes you to a similar product from Aukey. They make good quality stuff. I am using their cables, Quick Charge 5-port desktop mobile chargers (with a 2-pin round plug), Quick Charge 4-port 12v car mobile chargers (cigarette lighter socket). They are cheap on Ali Express and Gear Best, but expensive on Amazon India.

Alternatively, once you confirm the kind of cable you need, just search " (cable - type) Amazon Basics" in your Amazon India app and you should be good to go.

Tip - search for a desired product on Amazon, and "Add to Wishlist" - wait for few days and you will get a notification that there's a lightning offer on it, meaning, reduced price. Works in most cases, if not all.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-1532760335732.jpg  

Last edited by Safety is Param : 28th July 2018 at 12:18.
Old 15th November 2018, 17:38   #11318
BHPian

Re: Feature/Basic Phone for 1K?

Could any here suggest me a good feature/basic phone with music playing abilities.

The budget to be around 1000 INR.

Please suggest!
Old 15th November 2018, 18:09   #11319
BHPian

Re: Feature/Basic Phone for 1K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could any here suggest me a good feature/basic phone with music playing abilities.

The budget to be around 1000 INR.

Please suggest!
You can look at nokia basic phones : https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_in/classic-phones
Old 21st November 2018, 23:14   #11320
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys

Please suggest some nice Android phones under Rs. 15k for light usage. Phone will be used 90% for calls with no gaming or multi-tasking.

Requirements - Good battery life, slim form factor and crisp display (in that order)

While lesser-known brands have superb specs and cameras for the price, I am more inclined towards known brands even if they offer average specs.
Old 21st November 2018, 23:39   #11321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hi guys

Please suggest some nice Android phones under Rs. 15k for light usage. Phone will be used 90% for calls with no gaming or multi-tasking.

Requirements - Good battery life, slim form factor and crisp display (in that order)

While lesser-known brands have superb specs and cameras for the price, I am more inclined towards known brands even if they offer average specs.
If lack of latest software is not an issue, go for Galaxy A7(2017) decent chipset, excellent camera,display and battery. Samsung Pay is available too and has USB-C and no notch
Old 22nd November 2018, 00:42   #11322
BHPian

Time for me to buy a new phone and I am completely confused between the following:

1. Note 9
2. Pixel 3xl
3. One plus 6T

And the iPhone XR. The one plus has great battery life but the camera seems to be just about ok. The pixel has a great camera, all updated on the OS, but seems to have some manufacturing issues and less ram and less battery. Note 9, camera is between the two, battery life is superb, but Samsung's version of android is not something that I really like.

I currently use a iPhone 8 Plus and the battery lasts me the whole day with my usage and that's what is scaring me off the pixel 3xl.

Any pointers would be great.
Old 22nd November 2018, 01:11   #11323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Time for me to buy a new phone and I am completely confused between the following:

1. Note 9
2. Pixel 3xl
3. One plus 6T

And the iPhone XR.

I currently use a iPhone 8 Plus
You're already on iOS, so any specific reason for considering Android? You might not enjoy the change (few do, in either direction!). I'd say a current or current-1 generation iPhone (e.g. last year's X) would be my recommendation.
Old 22nd November 2018, 06:19   #11324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
1. Note 9
2. Pixel 3xl
3. One plus 6T

I currently use a iPhone 8 Plus and the battery lasts me the whole day with my usage and that's what is scaring me off the pixel 3xl.

Any pointers would be great.
My Pixel 2 XL’s battery lasts the whole day, I found it better than my earlier iPhone X (with similar usage levels). Going from an iPhone, I feel the Pixel maybe the best option if you want to Switch to Andriod; the camera is said be an improvement over the (already brilliant) Pixel 2. If you are not so averse to Samsung’s skin, the Note 9 looks really good as well. I am looking to upgrade my wife’s Note 8 to 9 in December, and I believe the 9 will get the Android P update soon.
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:58   #11325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hi guys

You can go with Asus Zenphone Max Pro, which has 6gb Ram, Snapdragon 635, dedicated memory slot and a stock android 8.1 along with dual rear cam. All this for 14k

Realme 2pro is with similar specs and price but with Snapdragon 660. Realme is sub-brand of oppo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks