Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2018, 21:10   #11296
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
Hello fellow BHPians, I want to buy a mid range phone for my mom (She currently uses a Redmi Note 2).
====
Not very inclined to go back to Mi Products, because they skin their android a lot. makes it buggy and a cheap iPhone Clone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Just bought a Redmi Note 5 Pro, my first experience with Xiaomi, lets see how it goes.
=====
Similarly, found just one store that had the Note 5 Pro and it was Rs.1000 more than online prices (13999), so got the 4GB, 64GB model for Rs.14999
I would recommend to go for Honor 9 lite. It comes in 3GB-32GB & 4GB-64GB versions. And, is priced at Rs.10000 and 15000 respectively in online store with decent exchange option and discount on cards.

Recently bought 4 GB version for my wife and is pretty good in all the aspects. Good thing is that it comes with Oreo version and this phone has enumerous options. Battery is awesome despite of non stop gaming. Its very light in hands and good display. Had I not bought my Xperia last December, I would have bought it for me for sure.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:44   #11297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Currently, I am confused between Honor 7X, Honor 9 Lite and Moto G5S Plus.
Eye closed, Motorola. The G series is outstanding value for money. Modest but proven Qualcomm hardware and almost bare bones Android which is sure to get one major update.

Personally; I am not a big fan of Kirin chips that Huawei (Their own chips) use on their phones. Still some development to do before it reaches the stability levels of Qualcomm. They are getting increasingly popular though.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:51   #11298
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Ultimately, I had to increase the budget to around 25k to include the Nokia 7+ and LG G6. It was a tough call between the two as both of them offer a good camera, 18:9 aspect ratio display and a sleek design. Got a great deal today on the LG G6 (23.5k) online and have placed an order for it. Now waiting to get my hands on it.
With an increased budget, maybe you should have waited for the Honor 10, which is going to be launched today and will be available from tomorrow on Flipkart.

The G6 at 23.5k sounds like great value too. Hope it serves you well.
Old 15th May 2018, 20:13   #11299
BHPian

Anyone has experience with refund process from Honor Store ?.
I did make an order in Honor store and cancelled it as I got a better deal for the same phone in Amazon. The refund has not happened even after 10 days, The customer care has no clue about it.
Old 19th May 2018, 11:26   #11300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Anyone has experience with refund process from Honor Store ?.
I did make an order in Honor store and cancelled it as I got a better deal for the same phone in Amazon. The refund has not happened even after 10 days, The customer care has no clue about it.
If you have the cancellation confirmation email, and the refund doesn't appear in the next credit card statement, just inform the credit card issuing bank that you have cancelled the order and send the cancellation email to them, you'll get a provisional credit of the amount that you need not pay in the next statement and investigate the issue. The investigation will be in your favour, as you have not received the phone from them and the provisional credit will be made permanent then.
Old 24th May 2018, 17:15   #11301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
If you have the cancellation confirmation email, and the refund doesn't appear in the next credit card statement, just inform the credit card issuing bank that you have cancelled the order and send the cancellation email to them, you'll get a provisional credit of the amount that you need not pay in the next statement and investigate the issue. The investigation will be in your favour, as you have not received the phone from them and the provisional credit will be made permanent then.
Thanks. Got the refund after 15 days. there was some confusion with the digital wallet payment and the cashback offered. Finally sorted out
Old 29th May 2018, 10:53   #11302
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

I need help in deciding a good android phone under Rs. 15k. Currently, I am confused between Honor 7X, Honor 9 Lite and Moto G5S Plus. Upgrading from a humble Xiaomi Redmi 3S Prime.
I have been using Moto G5S+ since 6 months, and its been working great.

However I won't suggest going for it now, as newer and more proficient models/designs/OS have gotten launched in previous couple of months.

One that stands out is Asus Zenfone Max Pro - great specs for the price being offered (along with stock android Oreo release).
You may want to check out its details, though its been difficult to get hands on it in Flipkart weekly sales (was trying last week for my sister, but no luck).

Folks,
Anyone able to lay hands on it (Asus Zenfone Max Pro) - please provide your experience.
Old 29th May 2018, 12:23   #11303
BHPian

Anyone using/planning to buy RealMe 1 here. Read good things about it as it being OPPO's Xiaomi slayer, but from paid media. Any realtime usage experience?
Old 5th July 2018, 12:26   #11304
Senior - BHPian

Reliance JioPhone 2 is official, comes with QWERTY keypad and 2.4-inch QVGA screen

Reliance Jio has launched the successor to its popular JioPhone at its Annual General Meeting, called the JioPhone 2. The JioPhone 2 will be priced at Rs 2,999, and will go on sale on August 15.

JioPhone 2 sporting a physical QWERTY keypad and a 2.4-inch QVGA screen and the phone runs only on 4G, and will be SIM-locked to the Jio network with VoLTE and VoWiFi connectivity for placing voice calls.

Read:
Old 5th July 2018, 12:59   #11305
Senior - BHPian

For a data driven network, putting emphasis on typing seems counter intuitive. Wouldn't a video call be a preferred choice?

However one can't deny that Jio bought internet within reach of a common man.I hope this phone supports regional language typing as well.
Old 24th July 2018, 05:06   #11306
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My USB charging cables last only 2-3 months. After that time, they start developing loose connection at the point where they are inserted into the phone.

This has been true with multiple phones, multiple cables - cables which came with the phone, other cables I have purchased, 125 Rs cables, 200 Rs. cables, 350 Rs Sony cables anything, everything I have tried.

I don't even use it for data transfer - I use it solely for charging.
On Amazon, all cables are labelled as Premium - from the 100 Rs ones to 500 Rs ones.

The difference seems to be with the wires, not the connectors however. The wires never give a problem for me. It's always the phone end connector.
Anyone else face this problem. Any really good brand I can try?
Old 24th July 2018, 07:14   #11307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My USB charging cables last only 2-3 months. After that time, they start developing loose connection at the point where they are inserted into the phone.

This has been true with multiple phones, multiple cables - cables which came with the phone, other cables I have purchased, 125 Rs cables, 200 Rs. cables, 350 Rs Sony cables anything, everything I have tried.
My experience has been that with micro USB cables, if you insert it wrong or attempt to insert it wrong even once, it will damage the spring loaded locks ( the small protrusions on one side of the connector). So is it possible that you or some kids possibly tried to insert it the wrong way?
Old 24th July 2018, 09:46   #11308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any really good brand I can try?
I have used a lot of these cables (from eBay, Amazon and all) in the past as my usage was intensive. Of everything that I tried, Portronics seems to be the brand that offers good quality at a low price.

On an average, Portronics cables cost me around Rs. 200 and feel very sturdy for the price. Its connector (for most cables except the iPhone one) is also solid. I have been using this brand for more than 1 year and have a total of 3 cables (2 micro USB and 1 lightning cable) all of which are going strong. There are some more expensive brands such as Mivi that I've tried but Mivi cables used to lose charging rate drastically after a time. Their connector also seems to be very flimsy, almost at par with stock cables that come with the phone.

I think you can give Portronics a try after ruling out any possible problems with the phone you're using.
Old 24th July 2018, 17:35   #11309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know if this will be applicable to all cases.

Had this problem with my erstwhile phones and chargers, but this time right from the beginning I've been extra careful and soft in pulling out the cable from the socket and while pushing it inside. I take care not to hurry or apply force in a rush, I just don't pluck the cable from the phone, but in a sideways rocking motion pull out the cable gently. Same while inserting; take the phone in my left hand and bring it closer to my body so that with the right hand I can apply the gentlest of force to push it in which feels like the cable is sucked in by the socket.

I take similar care while using the power and volume button which is another part that can go kaput even before the phone itself.
Old 24th July 2018, 18:05   #11310
BHPian

If it's the micro USB charging cable, look no further than this -

AUKEY Micro USB Cable 3x1.2m QC 2.0/3.0 USB Phone Cable Android Cable Data Transfer
http://s.aliexpress.com/iIbyIje6?fromSns=WhatsApp

2.5 yrs. and going strong!

Locally, I prefer anything that is Amazon Basics branded. Have never been disappointed.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 24th July 2018 at 18:06.

Most Viewed