Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 11:30   #8986
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
I have been using Micromax Qf5 for a few years. Pretty basic, solid phone. Today my wife bought me a Samsung Galaxy S2. I am still trying to figure it out. One BIG screwup - I am unable to transfer the 500 contacts from Micromax to Samsung, unless I do it one-at-a-time. What a bummer

One more example of "You get what you pay for!!"

- Krishnan
Hello Krishnan,
Micromax provides a PC Suite which you can install on the computer, connect the phone to it, and then take backup, export/ import contacts etc.
There is a little difficulty in getting the device to communicate with the PC suite initially, but with a little bit of effort things should work out fine.

Please try this out and let me know.
Here is the link: Micromax: Downloads : Phone Suite

BTW: I am not sure about the phone model that you have mentioned, but still give PC Suite a try before you start with any manual effort.

The other option of copying 250 contacts at a time is also available, but I think you may lose some information (extra information saved for those contacts) since the SIM does not support that.
Old 6th July 2012, 15:58   #8987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo

Thank you for this review, wish there was a "thanks" button in this section.
Hope Nokia launches some business edition of its Lumia range, much similar to the E series.

My search for a "good" QWERTY phone in the 15-18k range continues.
If nokia e series is still available in the market then get that with the qwerty. Other than that i can only recommend you Blackberry 8520. 9000bucks and the right price. Except theres no tbhp app for either the nokia or the blackberry
Old 6th July 2012, 18:00   #8988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Arent you based in BLR? I cant fathom why many airtel 3g customers are saying bad service. For me touchwood it has been the best in Blr, Delhi and my hometown. I get 3.6mbps speed on my note and lumia 800 even while travelling on the highways. Have you recharged with 3g plans? Just have a chat with Airtel Presence on twitter. They are quick to respond and solve problems within 2 working days. Speaking from personal experience.

Regards.
Yes sir. I am very much in Bangalore. ONLY once I got some speed somewhere close to what you mentioned. Just once. And I was just asked to change my SIM to the upgraded SIM. After that speeds are even worse. BTW - I am a Vodafone customer. I have chosen Airtel as my network. Chosen WCDMA etc. All in vain. Call Vodafone customer care - They say its a premium line - and all they do is check on the same settings.

Btw - my phone is HTC Evo 3D!
Old 9th July 2012, 12:29   #8989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
My search for a "good" QWERTY phone in the 15-18k range continues.
I hope this one turns out to be what I was waiting for :

Motorola Defy Pro - Full phone specifications

Most of the important h/w specs like RAM and processor speeds are yet to be announced.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:43   #8990
BANNED

Quote:
Email is very good, internet is very good, camera is also very good having auto focus in still mode and continuous focus in video. Calendar is good and syncs with facebook account easily. Plus SuperAMOLED screen with Gorilla glass. Plus superfast. Plus i can read ebooks on it.

NON REMOVABLE BATTERY i highlight this if its an issue with you. Personally never felt any problem with that as my n8 also has non removable battery and i got used to it.
Ok, so looks like I ve found a real cell phone guru out here.

I need to buy a GSM cell phone which can double up as my office laptop when I without it, which is like, at least 2 days a week. I need to be able to send and receive emails, easily, open, view and to a certain extent edit attachments in excel and word, but these cases would be few and far between.

I ride my bike most of the time and tend to use my phones for as long as they last. My Nokia 6275 CDMA is still going strong and hence want a sturdy phone which can take falls, jerks, some water etc. I also will use it as my camera for photos and videos when I m out in the field.

I have shortlisted the SGS-3 but am not sure if it is the right phone to purchase. Is it easy to use? Is it sturdy? Will it last? Does it have a good battery back up? etc etc...

Can you give me some light on this please?
Old 9th July 2012, 13:15   #8991
Senior - BHPian

a. NO android has great battery backup except Note. The size helps it house a 2500 mah battery.
b. I know atleast 3,1 owner of SGS2 and Galaxy Nexus who use external battery pack to help the phone to last 100% throughout the day.

Go for the Note.
Old 9th July 2012, 17:33   #8992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
a. NO android has great battery backup except Note. The size helps it house a 2500 mah battery.
b. I know atleast 3,1 owner of SGS2 and Galaxy Nexus who use external battery pack to help the phone to last 100% throughout the day.

Go for the Note.
Wait, Motorola Razr Maxx is available now. You will forget charging your battery with this phone. Although prices a little high to my liking. But design and the kevlar used give it a distinct presence, couple with a good case, it would certainly go strong for years...see this......

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX battery trial is over, meet our new champion [TEST] - GSMArena Blog
Old 10th July 2012, 12:41   #8993
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am looking for a new mobile phone with budget of 15K (can be stretched up to 20K max if it is worth). Right now I have a BlackBerry 8520 Curve which will be retained for other connection.

Please suggest some good models from HTC/BlackBerry/Sony XPERIA or any other models suitable in my budget.

Usage includes EMAIL/INTERNET/MUSIC/PHOTOS/etc. I expect new phone to have excellent battery life/reliability/snob value.

Should be a latest model as I will be using this one for at least next three years. I am willing to wait for 1-2 months if some thing better is coming up.

Last edited by bluevolt : 10th July 2012 at 12:42.
Old 10th July 2012, 18:49   #8994
BHPian

I would suggest the Sony Xperia U or Sola depending on your usage. Samaungs are good in the 20+k range but in the mid segment Sony has come out well with resolution equal to high range phones. 3 of my friends have already bought the U and are very happy with it. The camera is nice and the Bravia display is very good.
Old 12th July 2012, 00:01   #8995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath

I need to buy a GSM cell phone which can double up as my office laptop when I without it, I need to be able to send and receive emails, easily, open, view and to a certain extent edit attachments in excel and word, but these cases would be few and far between.

I ride my bike most of the time and tend to use my phones for as long as they last. . I also will use it as my camera for photos and videos when I m out in the field.

I have shortlisted the SGS-3 but am not sure if it is the right phone to purchase

Can you give me some light on this please?
sorry for getting back on your query so late.
thanks for your appreciation sir but im no guru. the real gurus have already replied to your post.
From your requirements stated above any android phone will work regarding emails and office work including attachments.

What you require is a phone with an excellent battery life and one that you can carry with you without being worried about the size.SuperAmoled screens are battery friendly especially when you have black themes or wallpapers. But with white wallpapers or themes it eats into the battery life.

Size of a galaxy note is definitely going to be a problem here especially in case you need to attend a call while riding the bike.(after you have pulled over to the side of the road).
The note is also out since it doesnt have a camera button whenever you need to take a quick photograph.

Durability of phones these days is a matter of luck. Some phones may fall into bucket of soap water and still keep working. Whereas sometime even a slight exposure to rain may render your handset unusable partially or completely.

These days Gorilla Glass provided on most phones make the screens pretty impact resistant. So screens may not necessarily get damaged due to a fall. The sides of the phone may however get dented or scratched but as long as the phone works i guess your investment is protected.

Coming to the phones. The galaxy note has a huge battery that is more than any other Samsung phone in the market. But the display of the note eats into the battery life. If your usage is mostly phone calls and occasionally emails and messages then the battery will last about a day. Ive managed to make my note last for about a day and 6hours with calls and whatsapp. But didnt use much. And didnt use the internet. Those days it lasted me quite long. On standby the note lasts easily for 4days as i found out recently. (My blackberry lasted close to 2 weeks on standby during the same time period)

Id not recommend the note for you due to its size and chances of it falling from your pocket while riding the bike.

Instead you should go for a smaller phone. The S2 and S3 come to my mind. S2 is one generation old but 10k cheaper than the s3.
S3 is the latest and also there is no lag on the phone. My friend reports that his S3 lasts for 1.5 days with 1 to 2 hours of gaming(MaxPayne, TempleRun), sync always on, 3G always on and the usual calls which maybe a total of 2hours all related to office work.

Both the s2 and s3 have great cameras. The s3 has a better interface and lots more features with the latest update.
It doesnt have a hardware camera button but gestures can be used to switch on the camera on the go. Plus there is hardly any lag while taking pictures one after the other.

Also in case you need to annotate pictures amd find it easier to write with a pen than type on the screen then not to worry. There is a stylus available for s3 too just like the Note's S pen but the s3 one looks almost like a normal pen. However its an accessory and youd have to buy it extra.

The s3 with newer interface makes it a much more easier to use phone. Like my friend says ' the interface feels sleek'.

I guess you wont go wrong with the S3. And you require only one hand to use it unlike the note which mostly requires both hands. The s3 is a quick easy to use phone with good battery life and fine tuned quadcore performance and the service backup of Samsung is quite well spread unlike other companies.

Maybe you should wait a bit if you can. There maybe a price reduction or offer of more accesories with the phone. Im guessing when the iPhone 5 comes out Samsung may reduce s3 prices to give it an edge over the iPhone. But thats a few months from now.

Regards.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 12th July 2012 at 00:06.
Old 12th July 2012, 01:58   #8996
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The s3 with newer interface makes it a much more easier to use phone. Like my friend says ' the interface feels sleek'.
Whats changed? I thought ICS on the S2 and S3 would be similar!

I've been running a S2 on ICS for the last 3 months (i think), and its just OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I need to buy a GSM cell phone which can double up as my office laptop when I without it, which is like, at least 2 days a week. I need to be able to send and receive emails, easily, open, view and to a certain extent edit attachments in excel and word, but these cases would be few and far between.

Been a O2 user initially and then shifting to qwerty Nokia, I realized that an email and business phone is incomplete without a qwerty.

I carry a brackberry (official) and the S2 now and the BB is so much more sensible when you mean business and not funky swipes.

Large phone like the S2 and larger are a pain to drive/ ride when in the pocket, unless without a cover and you expecting it to drop it? might not be the best idea!
Old 12th July 2012, 09:15   #8997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I would suggest the Sony Xperia U or Sola depending on your usage. Samaungs are good in the 20+k range but in the mid segment Sony has come out well with resolution equal to high range phones. 3 of my friends have already bought the U and are very happy with it. The camera is nice and the Bravia display is very good.
Sola/Neo are excellent buy now coz
  • price
  • looks
  • specs
  • ICS support!
  • a.s.s.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:38   #8998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I carry a brackberry (official) and the S2 now and the BB is so much more sensible when you mean business and not funky swipes.

Large phone like the S2 and larger are a pain to drive/ ride when in the pocket, unless without a cover and you expecting it to drop it? might not be the best idea!
Bang on. You said it man. Which is why I use the HTC chacha. If only it had some juice beyond the style.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:20   #8999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Which is why I use the HTC chacha. If only it had some juice beyond the style.
I think I have pretty much decided to go for this if it gets launched in India for a reasonable price.

Specs look interesting :
- 1 Ghz Processor
- 512 MB RAM
- Water, dust and scratch resistant.
- 5 MP cam (Doesnt say anything about 720p capture though..)
- Front VGA cam.
- Touch + QWERTY.
- 1650 mAh battery
- 2.68" Screen.

Wishlist :
- India launch
- 15k price tag
- Reliable
Old 12th July 2012, 10:37   #9000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I think I have pretty much decided to go for this if it gets launched in India for a reasonable price.

Specs look interesting :
- 1 Ghz Processor
- 512 MB RAM
- Water, dust and scratch resistant.
- 5 MP cam (Doesnt say anything about 720p capture though..)
- Front VGA cam.
- Touch + QWERTY.
- 1650 mAh battery
- 2.68" Screen.

Wishlist :
- India launch
- 15k price tag
- Reliable
You have no idea my man. Motorola is 2x better even in a half-stable modded ROM than my stock HTC chacha. It is simply pathetic in comparison to my uber cool defy (except it had no qwerty!). HTC's classy hardware has pathetic software configuration.

If they launch it at like 11-13k, go for it. It should be decent. Except the crappy 5MP cam. That is one thing in my Chacha which is simply outstanding!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks