Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 07:40   #8971
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Does anyone know how good the Motorola Razr MAXX is? It just launched a couple of weeks back in India and want to know if its good. Went to the univercell store but they said it will come to them only next week. Looking at it as an alternative to S2/S3
Too late to our market! For this price now you can buy superior phones like Xperia S and Galaxy Note that have a 720p screen (and in case of Xperia a 12MP shooter) or even the Google Nexus phone.

razr maxx has a humungous battery but really other specs are 2011! Also its battery takes forever to charge, I'm told. You'd anyway still be charging it every night.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:05   #8972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Does anyone know how good the Motorola Razr MAXX is? It just launched a couple of weeks back in India and want to know if its good. Went to the univercell store but they said it will come to them only next week. Looking at it as an alternative to S2/S3
RAZR MAXX got good reviews for its humangous battery... probably the best amongst devices from top makers (Nokia, Samsung, Sony etc). Looks good as well and even with huge battery, the dimensions are quite OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Too late to our market! .......
razr maxx has a humungous battery but really other specs are 2011! Also its battery takes forever to charge, I'm told. You'd anyway still be charging it every night.
+1 to joslicx. The specs are outdated compared to new age phones.
I was initially looking for MAXX but got S3 instead, which also got a decent battery life.

Check out the reviews in techradar.com & gsmarena.com for any phones you wish to buy. They normally provide you very useful info to make an informed decision.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:06   #8973
Senior - BHPian

This reply can probably come only from the Bangy folk.

Is there a store where I can go check out and maybe buy the Motorola Atrix 2?
Old 4th July 2012, 15:53   #8974
BHPian

Possibly any big store of Sangeetha, Univercell, Croma etc ?
Old 4th July 2012, 17:25   #8975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I have Vodafone GPRS. It stops working for few days and then it works for few weeks. I am planning to go for Airtel , in fact just this morning, I have got the UPC code for MNP.
From the frying pan into the fire. I was on Vodafone GPRS, and now moved on to Airtel 3G (gulp) - It is working like Vodafone GPRS divided by 2! At least the Vodafone mobile connect was stable (albiet slow)
Old 4th July 2012, 19:21   #8976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz

From the frying pan into the fire. I was on Vodafone GPRS, and now moved on to Airtel 3G (gulp) - It is working like Vodafone GPRS divided by 2! At least the Vodafone mobile connect was stable (albiet slow)
Arent you based in BLR? I cant fathom why many airtel 3g customers are saying bad service. For me touchwood it has been the best in Blr, Delhi and my hometown. I get 3.6mbps speed on my note and lumia 800 even while travelling on the highways. Have you recharged with 3g plans? Just have a chat with Airtel Presence on twitter. They are quick to respond and solve problems within 2 working days. Speaking from personal experience.

Regards.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:19   #8977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
.....I get 3.6mbps speed on my note and lumia 800 ......
Perfect person to ask my question I am tossed between few models, specially the Note vs Lumia800. May be its wrong to ask as individual preferences differ widely when it comes to specs. But according to you, what you find a pleasure to use and less troubles overall. For me, call quality, calendar, organizer, browser etc. top the priorities. I know its not right to compare the above two as its a 10k difference. I try to use a phone to the max years possible, presently having trouble with both my phones (BB Pearl & SE Vivaz). It had costed me 25k & 22k respectively.

Will I be able to get a decent exchange offer for them with an EMI option on card ? Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 4th July 2012, 21:37   #8978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
Perfect person to ask my question I am tossed between few models, specially the Note vs Lumia800. May be its wrong to ask as individual preferences differ widely when it comes to specs. But according to you, what you find a pleasure to use and less troubles overall. For me, call quality, calendar, organizer, browser etc. top the priorities.I try to use a phone to the max years possible, presently having trouble with both my phones (BB Pearl & SE Vivaz).

Lumia 800 best looking phone. Bought it for the looks but lo and behold its a stunning performer. Touchwood till this day it hasnt hung no matter how many apps i seem to start. And its still fast.
The problem with lumia or any windows phones is that you cant send files through bluetooth. Nada. No songs no photos no nothing. Hotmail sucks. It takes ages to open the hotmail on my pc. But on windows phone it is surprisingly fast. Gmail works seamlessly for me across both my phones.
App support is not great. But the games and few apps are amazing.

You can do everything on a lumia that you can do on another phone except transfer files via bluetooth just like an iPhone. You do get apps though to download music online via phone itself but they arent accesible to the media player. They have to be olayed via the app. Ive been doing this and not much of a problem.
There however is no dropbox app for windows phone in case you use that. But you get the microsoft equivalent of iCloud ie SkyDrive which works very good for me.

Speaking of bluetooth lumia pairs up with my figo HU easily. Calls and music pretty good. Add to that Nokia Drive for navigation. Far better than google maps as it has voice support.

And a must for all windows phones is Microsoft Zune without which you wont be able to update the phone nor load the files songs and photos.

Email is very good, internet is very good, camera is also very good having auto focus in still mode and continuous focus in video. Calendar is good and syncs with facebook account easily. Plus SuperAMOLED screen with Gorilla glass. Plus superfast. Plus i can read ebooks on it.

NON REMOVABLE BATTERY i highlight this if its an issue with you. Personally never felt any problem with that as my n8 also has non removable battery and i got used to it.

Call clarity is great but battery life is bad. 6 hours maximum if you use fully on 3g.

But wait you have a mac right? Will you be able to get zune for Mac? I think there was a Mac version. Check it before you buy it.

Note is completely different level for me. Its my most useful phone for day to day usage. Many times i need to annotate photos and take notes. S Pen comes in handy then. Note tops everything except battery life because of its big screen. But i manage to go a full 12 hours with it or charging every night. Sometimes ive had to do a midday charge too in case i was whiling away my time on it. Plus it has got the flexibility of Android. No restrictions whatsoever.

Why dont you go for other android phones within the 22k range? Atrix 2 is doing great according to the members who have bought it. Opt for the windows phone if you can handle the file transfers via zune ala itunes all the time. Or you can use SkyDrive to sync files and documents via the cloud. Ive recently opted for the latter method. also microsoft will not update wp7.5 users to wp8. So lumia800 is gonna be stuck with wp7.5. If you can handle that (which i think you can having a vivaz and a blackberry) then lumia 800 is perfect for you.

Note you can buy for showoff or if your work requires taking notes on the go and annotating and emailing those notes.

I use a combination of both one to call and the other to take notes

You can get emi offer on any phone these days but not sure how much resale would you get for them. Try to post on the classifieds here and see if you can get a buyer at a decent price.

P.s like you i also use a phone till it gives up on me. Thats why i still have my sony ericson w200i.

Cheers
Old 5th July 2012, 13:17   #8979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lumia 800 best looking phone.....Note you can buy for showoff or if your work requires taking notes on the go and annotating and emailing those notes......
Thats a stomach full of tips to read and digest Thanks a ton ! If I speak my mind, I crave for a non-touch phone without any bells & whistles that can last until the last penny is drained out of it !! Thats the only reason I still have my BB Pearl, its a beautiful compact phone, but the battery is dying fast, I got a new battery, and I am sure its a fake one.

Pearl had a second version launched, but I no more find it anywhere. I am never lucky with touch screens. Now SIII looks very promising as well as the HTC OneX, but thats an exorbitant price range I could only get if I had a retired rich dad happy to gift me something every quarter !!! I was at Croma last week and I literally found rich dads coming with their college sons/daughters, getting a feel of the SIII and straightaway going to the billing area. Lucky sons of guns
Old 5th July 2012, 13:34   #8980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
Thats a stomach full of tips to read and digest Thanks a ton ! If I speak my mind, I crave for a non-touch phone without any bells & whistles that can last until the last penny is drained out of it !! Thats the only reason I still have my BB Pearl, its a beautiful compact phone, but the battery is dying fast, I got a new battery, and I am sure its a fake one.

Lucky sons of guns
Haha these days kids have everything at their beck and call. I remember myself saving up money for months to get a new hot wheels trackset or other toys. Coming to topic you can always opt for emi option. Few nokia phones are also there withing 10 15k price range with proper email facility and non touch with qwerty keypad. Ive one e63 i think. Decent workhorse. Good battery backup. Usually carry that on trips. I dont think it sells these days though. But it works for me. And its got 5mpx camera with flash plus wifi 3g and everythin else.

Get an android phone though. Nokia symbian is dying breed.

Regards
Old 5th July 2012, 21:10   #8981
BHPian

Quote:
Haha these days kids have everything at their beck and call. I remember myself saving up money for months to get a new hot wheels trackset or other toys. Coming to topic you can always opt for emi option. Few nokia phones are also there withing 10 15k price range with proper email facility and non touch with qwerty keypad. Ive one e63 i think. Decent workhorse. Good battery backup. Usually carry that on trips. I dont think it sells these days though. But it works for me. And its got 5mpx camera with flash plus wifi 3g and everythin else.

Get an android phone though. Nokia symbian is dying breed.

Regards
I have been using Micromax Qf5 for a few years. Pretty basic, solid phone. Today my wife bought me a Samsung Galaxy S2. I am still trying to figure it out. One BIG screwup - I am unable to transfer the 500 contacts from Micromax to Samsung, unless I do it one-at-a-time. What a bummer

One more example of "You get what you pay for!!"

- Krishnan
Old 5th July 2012, 21:54   #8982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai

I have been using Micromax Qf5 for a few years. Pretty basic, solid phone. Today my wife bought me a Samsung Galaxy S2. I am still trying to figure it out. One BIG screwup - I am unable to transfer the 500 contacts from Micromax to Samsung, unless I do it one-at-a-time. What a bummer

One more example of "You get what you pay for!!"

- Krishnan
Copy the contacts from.micromax phone to your sim card.250 at a time. Then transfer them to your s2. I did the same when i bought my note. Or else store the micromax contacts in csv format and then transfer them to s2.

Regards.
Old 5th July 2012, 23:13   #8983
Senior - BHPian

I always had address book issues between Blackberry vs Symbian vs Bada OS handsets. Now I am hunting for an Android, I really have no idea how I am going to transfer my 500+ contacts smoothly. My BB has a detailed individual contact info like Work1, Work2, Mobile, Home, Email, Fax, Address, BB Pin, Others etc. I am never successful in moving the entire thing into another software till date. Copying to SIM miserably fails because it can store only 1 number per contact.
Old 6th July 2012, 00:49   #8984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I always had address book issues between Blackberry vs Symbian vs Bada OS handsets. Now I am hunting for an Android.
1. Setup Google sync on Blackberry and upload contacts to you gmail account
2. Android would automatically get those ance you setup that gmail account on Android
Old 6th July 2012, 10:27   #8985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lumia 800 best looking phone. Bought it for the looks but lo and behold its a stunning performer. Touchwood till this day it hasnt hung no matter how many apps i seem to start. And its still fast.
Thank you for this review, wish there was a "thanks" button in this section.
Hope Nokia launches some business edition of its Lumia range, much similar to the E series.

My search for a "good" QWERTY phone in the 15-18k range continues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks