Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:05   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Netbook Thread.

Well im downgrading from a 13+" laptop because i find it cumbersome to carry. I saw the 11.6" options, they still look big for portability.
I wont be viewing much HD content. Portability scores high on my list with Hard drive size.

The I pads are tempting but price is prohibitive along with lack of memory space.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:24   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I wont be viewing much HD content. Portability scores high on my list with Hard drive size.
Well then 10.1 would be apt for your usage. Samsung and Lenovo have 10.1's which are very portable which also offer good screen. Samsung has a matte screen which helps outdoor visibility.

Quote:
The I pads are tempting but price is prohibitive along with lack of memory space.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 28th June 2011, 00:51   #138
Senior - BHPian

Purchase Update

Friends, thank you all for your inputs.

I purchased a net book today from Vijay Sales. Following is the specs & cost;
HP Mini 110-3612TU
Intel Atom Dual core N570(1.66ghz)
320gb(7200rpm)
2gb DDR3 SDRAM
Win 7 Starter 32 bit
10.1" anti glare Led(matt finish)
Wlan+ bluetooth
Multi card reader
6 cell lithium ion battery(55WHr)

Cost = 19990/- No freebies.

Im already liking the small size.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 28th June 2011, 03:58   #139
BHPian

jaysmokesleaves, congrats on new netbook, however you will be shocked to see the price of the same on flipkart, its only Rs. 18390/-Given the buying experience on flipkart, I would say these guys are offering products on throw away prices, be it a cellphone, HDD, pen-drives, cameras, audio cd's, computers etc.
Flipkart also ships very promptly, I get the product at door step next day of ordering mostly, and the price is cheaper than local stores so why to waste petrol :-)

Anyway how's the battery life ?

I've purchased HP Mini 110-3605TU Netbook (Black), a month back it was 14.5k but I regret buying it, as the battery run is only 2.05 hours.
Its good to have a Dual core ATOM but the battery performance has given me a shock.
Similar netbook from Samsung gives 6+ hours easily.

please excuse the low res pic.
The Netbook Thread.-3605tu.jpg
Old 28th June 2011, 08:07   #140
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I checked flipkart but I wanted to physically check the product before buying and also will be travelling with the laptop from tomm, so I couldnt wait for home delivery which i was sure would take more than a day, hence didnt mind paying a bit more.

I started using the Mini last night with the precharged battery at 25%level showing 1.5 hours remaining. So i assume a full charge should do 4 hours comfortably.

I was really expecting this Atom dual core to be slower, having read that netbooks are generally slower than normal laptops. However, this is pleasantly surprising and it really isnt as slow as I thought. Im yet to multitask though, so will comment after further use.

From my experience on 3 different laptops over the years, if you are plugged in, its better to remove the battery, unless you have set it up for charging. If you are plugged in at all times with battery in, it drastically reduces battery life.
My normal practice is to fully charge the battery and remove it when im in plugged in mode. Also ensure that you discharge your battery almost completely(to about 10%) before you recharge. My other 13+" HP has clocked a shade over 2 years with this practice and a lot of use and absolutely no noticeable drop in battery performance. I still get around 1.45-2 hours before it runs off, which is ditto like day 1. The Samsung on the other hand which is the newer of the two, has always been plugged in with battery at all times doesnt last a shade beyond 50 mins.

Ive also read that Atom dual core with DDR3 consumes lesser power than DDR2. So it would be prudent to buy the current offerings with the new processors etc, especially for netbooks.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 28th June 2011 at 08:19.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:12   #141
Senior - BHPian

Friends, how do i import all the bookmarks saved on google chrome browser from one laptop to another laptop..??
I have over 300 google chrome browser bookmarks that i need to transfer from my laptop to my netbook.

Please help urgently.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 28th June 2011, 09:53   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Friends, how do i import all the bookmarks saved on google chrome browser from one laptop to another laptop..??
I have over 300 google chrome browser bookmarks that i need to transfer from my laptop to my netbook.

Please help urgently.

Thanks,
Jay
Use Google sync. Thats the easiest way to get your browsing environment standardized across all platforms.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 14:11   #143
BHPian

Quote:

Please help urgently.

Thanks,
Jay
click on the wrench in google crome-->Bookmark manager--->organize-->export

the method suggested by ampere should work too,

For your battery thing, I used compaq 14 inch celeron laptop for extensive use since last 5 years, and its battery still runs 1:20mins.
guess what you should do to prolong the battery life, never let charge level fall under 25-30%, more extensive charge cycle you do, less would be the life.

Try using a tool, battery bar, its excellent and tells you the battery wear conditions too, I use it on all my laptops for quite sometime now.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 02:12   #144
BHPian

Bad day for me, Broke LED Screen of my Compaq CQ42 laptop.
laptop was around 8-9 months old, using external LCD monitor since evening, will buy a replacement screen soon.

It was a accident and I learned NEVER Bang Your Head onto a Laptop :-)

The Netbook Thread.-headtop.jpg
Old 29th June 2011, 06:55   #145
Team-BHP Support

Folks any users of Linux Distros on Netbook? Esp. Ubuntu Lite?
Need feedbacks on the same.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:12   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks any users of Linux Distros on Netbook? Esp. Ubuntu Lite?
Need feedbacks on the same.
Used Ubuntu in past but for a very limited period as one of my most required software was not supported on Linux :-(
Old 29th June 2011, 17:24   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Used Ubuntu in past but for a very limited period as one of my most required software was not supported on Linux :-(
Was it Ubuntu or the Ubuntu-Lite? I have used Ubuntu but not its lighter version.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:26   #148
BHPian

it was ubuntu not the lite version
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:52   #149
BHPian

Re: Help :Choosing a Netbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Guys I am looking out for a Netbook for my wife. She basically works out of home with limited travel. By the way we already have a desktop at home.

She has to work on web based tool like Citrix & do some net surfing and some basic MS word & excel use. Her specific requirement is that it should be portable, lightweight & Wifi enabled.

I have heard that Netbooks are not that great in terms of performance.

Guys can you share your experiences (Pros & Cons) of a netbook so that I don't have to unnecessarily invest in a regular lap top
My budget is approx INR 20k.

Mods: I searched for netbooks but could not find, if thread exists pls merge.

After having used a

Hp Mini 210
Asus Eeepc 901 HA
Toshiba NB305

for more than 1 year now -
I can safely say ...

NetBooks are FINE.

They suffice as interim replacement laptops - provided you do have a more powerful, bigger screen old desktop or old laptop at home.

They are REALLY practical - manage to do almost everything - including running a few games.

The newer Atom processors are even better - but the battery life is the best!

You should also look at 'NotBooks' - a relatively new category between NetBooks & NoteBooks.

These are in the range of 22 to 28k.

MUCH better & higher performing processors.
Similar size structure 11.1" screen.
Rest all the characteristics you would want a NetBook for.
Old 12th December 2011, 21:20   #150
BHPian

Lenovo is introducing the Thinkpad x130e soon - you will have a choice between an AMD E-450 and an Intel Core i3, so you may have a 11" display but can choose to have the same power as a regular laptop but with much more battery time (display panels are a power hog).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks