Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 06:51   #121
BHPian

Re: The Netbook Thread.

^Also have a look at Dell Inspiron M101z. The Dell India price for the configuration I had mentioned in my post of 02 Jun 2011 (Post No.110 above) comes to Rs.33029.50. ( I bought it in USA for $590, approx. Rs.28000.)

Just two days back, I burnt a HD (1280X720) home movie on to Blu-ray disk and it played beautifully on it with MPC - Home cinema + Shark 007 codecs.

The Netbook Thread.-trial-bd.jpg

The Netbook Thread.-mpc-home-cinema.jpg

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 13th June 2011 at 06:53.
Old 15th June 2011, 18:12   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Netbook purchase advice needed - totally confused as all look the same to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
.....I saw a Samsung model for 17K, with Atom Dual Core N550 processor and 1Gig of RAM. It was good enough but somehow, i did not have complete trust Samsung when it comes to PCs
I have 2 Samsung Netbooks which are performing very well. Majority of the components in the Samsung notebooks are manufactured by themselves (LCD, RAM etc). They also supply the same parts to other manufacturers. So it actually makes sense to go for a Samsung notebook.

The 2 netbooks were bought for 17k and 19k each. The 19k one has 2GB of RAM apart from that they are identical. They are not treated with lot of care but still perform flawlessly. One is reaching a year while the other one has crossed the year mark without any hitch.
Old 15th June 2011, 18:56   #123
BHPian

Thats good to hear, abhinav. I don't hold anything against Samsung, infact i like the brand and like i said all of my other applainces are of this brand. My statement was not based on market study, but rather was based on the absence of it. I mean, I did not find much direct feedback/reviews from users during my purchase and that prevented me from taking the plunge.

But this input from you could help rki2007 and other prospective buyers in making a more informed decision.
Old 16th June 2011, 19:40   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
I mean, I did not find much direct feedback/reviews from users during my purchase and that prevented me from taking the plunge.
Totally agree regarding the direct customer feedback. I myself was not very sure until i bought the first machine. It was a calculated risk which paid off in the end.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:47   #125
Senior - BHPian

Re: Netbook purchase advice needed - totally confused as all look the same to me!!

I have a Lenovo S10-3 (2GB) on Win 7 Prof, Samsung N50 (made it 2GB, Win 7 Starter) and a Acer One (2GB , XP). I find the Acer to be faster
Old 21st June 2011, 09:05   #126
BHPian

Hi friends. i have been looking for a laptop. I think i made a mistake by deciding to buy one. How many models,how many varities. Oh my god such a huge amount of confusion. I am not a techie and do not know what is the worth ?

Please help me out about the following one. Is this worth buying.

Samsung RV 411 - Lifestyle series.
Intel Dual core
2.13GHz , 3GB Ram, 500GB HDD, 14.1"Screen, Wifi, Genuine Windows 7 basic 32bit.
Also i think it has a NVIDIA GeForce 315M graphics card (Detail traced from samsung website)

Price quoted is Rs.27,500/- from a well known shop.
Old 21st June 2011, 13:23   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi friends. i have been looking for a laptop.... Please help me out about the following one. Is this worth buying.
Samsung RV 411 - Lifestyle series.
Intel Dual core
2.13GHz , 3GB Ram, 500GB HDD, 14.1"Screen, Wifi, Genuine Windows 7 basic 32bit.
Also i think it has a NVIDIA GeForce 315M graphics card (Detail traced from samsung website)

Price quoted is Rs.27,500/- from a well known shop.
You were looking for a netbook right? Or do you want a laptop? First get your requirements for purchasing the laptop/netbook set straight. Probably, if you list your requirements it would be better.

In general, if portability is the main thing, then you are better off with a powerful netbook like the HP DM1Z, Lenovo X120e etc. Perfect form factor with a very capable AMD Fusion processor.

If you dont carry around your laptop a lot, then a full size laptop like the one shortlisted above should be good.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:29   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I have a Lenovo S10-3 (2GB) on Win 7 Prof, Samsung N50 (made it 2GB, Win 7 Starter) and a Acer One (2GB , XP). I find the Acer to be faster
Win 7 on a 2GB m/c crawls(ok, a bit exaggerated ;-))
Have you tried installing Win 7 on your Acer (assuming that's also 2GB) or installing XP on your other 2 m/c's?

The Toshiba I have was a breeze when it had XP. After installing Win 7, I have started hating Windozze all the more. I am a Unix guy, you see
Old 21st June 2011, 21:13   #129
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I need to buy a new laptop. Following is the criteria, please provide advice and inputs;
1. Must be SMALL(should not exceed 10.1"), ultraportable and light to carry. I currently use an HP 13 inch laptop, but i find that too quite cumbersome, big and heavy(esp with charger etc). Im looking for a netbook size that i can easily shove into any small bag.
2. Should have decent battery life.
3. Usage is for photo applications, some MS office applications and extensive use of internet on the go.
4. Will watch loads of movies n video.
5. Should have a decent speed processor.
6. Has to be well built to withstand rough use.
7. Approx 200gb hard drive.

I checked out the netbooks with the intel atom processors, but Im told that they are quite slow, especially when running multiple media & photo applications.
Current users please provide feedback.
Please suggest model numbers of suitable options if possible.
I plan to buy within the next 7 days.

I saw this model in Croma - HP mini 110-3612TU costs 20k. Is this a good model to buy?
HP Mini 110 Series 110-3612TU Laptop Price India: Buy HP Mini 110 Series Netbook India: Flipkart.com

Please suggest options.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:01   #130
BHPian

One question i wanted to ask. Whether buying from Flipkart.com is worth. I just happened to see their range of products. Its simply awesome and much cheaper than anyone. Can Flipkart .com be trusted and products be bought. I think they have the option to pay online/cash on delivery.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:10   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Win 7 on a 2GB m/c crawls(ok, a bit exaggerated ;-))
Have you tried installing Win 7 on your Acer (assuming that's also 2GB) or installing XP on your other 2 m/c's?

The Toshiba I have was a breeze when it had XP. After installing Win 7, I have started hating Windozze all the more. I am a Unix guy, you see
Well boot up is real fast ( if you are on hibernate). Opening up browsers are slow comparatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Friends,

I need to buy a new laptop. Following is the criteria, please provide advice and inputs;
1. Must be SMALL(should not exceed 10.1"), ultraportable and light to carry. I currently use an HP 13 inch laptop, but i find that too quite cumbersome, big and heavy(esp with charger etc). Im looking for a netbook size that i can easily shove into any small bag.

I saw this model in Croma - HP mini 110-3612TU costs 20k. Is this a good model to buy?
HP Mini 110 Series 110-3612TU Laptop Price India: Buy HP Mini 110 Series Netbook India: Flipkart.com

Please suggest options.

Thanks,
Jay
Get the Samsung one IMHO. Nice screen and built quality. The anti glare screen is good.

Havent heard people usng the HP netbooks much around here.
Would really suggest the laps with Neo K325 processors though if you need performance but regular one's are ok if you don't do too much multitasking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
One question i wanted to ask. Whether buying from Flipkart.com is worth. I just happened to see their range of products. Its simply awesome and much cheaper than anyone. Can Flipkart .com be trusted and products be bought. I think they have the option to pay online/cash on delivery.
They can be trusted.
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:16   #132
BHPian

I have Acer Aspire 250, good one, using it more than a year. Only 2 issues I had, with Atom processor it becomes very hot even, second is the sound gets garbled when movies/music. it's not with the speaker issue but with the processor, I believe.

Don't ever think you can watch HD movies with Atom processor, it is very convenient for travelling, light and battery life, but after using high end laptops you find it very slow. You need to compromise on speed. I am not sure whether you can get better processors for net book.

Quote:
Friends,

3. Usage is for photo applications, some MS office applications and extensive use of internet on the go.

I checked out the netbooks with the intel atom processors, but Im told that they are quite slow, especially when running multiple media & photo applications.
Current users please provide feedback.
Please suggest model numbers of suitable options if possible.
I plan to buy within the next 7 days.

Please suggest options.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd June 2011 at 13:31. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
gopinathann is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:27   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Ideally, the iPad.

Or the asus eeePC transformer - 17k and can take a keyboard if you wish. The USB slot will hold all the data you wish.

check if it can take a USB HDD. that'll be killer.
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Well boot up is real fast ( if you are on hibernate). Opening up browsers are slow comparatively.

Get the Samsung one IMHO. Nice screen and built quality. The anti glare screen is good.

Havent heard people usng the HP netbooks much around here.
Would really suggest the laps with Neo K325 processors though if you need performance but regular one's are ok if you don't do too much multitasking..
Can you tell me which brand uses the processors you mentioned. A model number will help. I do quite like the antiglare screen on the samsungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ideally, the iPad.

Or the asus eeePC transformer - 17k and can take a keyboard if you wish. The USB slot will hold all the data you wish.

check if it can take a USB HDD. that'll be killer.
Im not in favour of the Ipad or the other pads.
Cons;
1. Very small hard drive(very big handicap), so cant save enough movies and pics while travelling, which means I will have to carry an additional portable harddrive. I dont think it can support the power requirement of an external drive.
2. Touchscreen is a pain. I prefer the keyboard.
3. Only wifi connectivity is a handicap. I wish i could use a usb internet device with it. I usually buy one from the host country with a decent data package, which is quite convenient. Pardon my ignorance but can you tell me if a data sim can be used on the pad for internet connectivity??
4. Costs more than the netbook.

Pros;
Ultraportable.

Where is the Asus sold at 17k?? Is it available at Croma or other outlets? I would definitely like to have a look.

Can anyone provide a few model options to help me decide..??

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 22nd June 2011 at 22:14.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:30   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me which brand uses the processors you mentioned. A model number will help.
Better than Neo K325, is the new AMD Fusion powered netbooks. Performance is at par with a full size laptop and since it has a separate graphics core, it can play HD content smoothly without any lags. But no mfg. has used it in a 10.1 inch netbook. They are all 11.6 inch screens. They most commonly have similar config as well with a 2 Gig RAM, 320 Gig HDD, 3 USB ports, MMC card reader etc.

The brands which are currently offering this processor on their netbooks are below:

HP DM1Z
Dell M101Z (I think, not too sure)
Lenovo X120e
Asus 1215B (This is a 12.1 inch model)

You can see the HP, Lenovo and Asus probably in stores like Croma, eZone etc. Dell you can view it in their Dell stores nearby as I am not sure if they are available in Croma etc.

EDIT: Forgot to add that they all weigh in the range of 1.6-2kgs hence should not be cumbersome to carry around as well as offering sufficient screen space for movies, pics etc.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 23rd June 2011 at 13:39.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks