Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2015, 13:23   #4516
BHPian

Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Hello folks. A friend in India wants to buy a new laptop (Dell preferred, although open to other companies, if better option available) in the range of 35-40k, not more than that. Can you'll please suggest a couple of options?

-Bhargav
Old 15th November 2015, 13:57   #4517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hello folks. A friend in India wants to buy a new laptop (Dell preferred, although open to other companies, if better option available) in the range of 35-40k, not more than that. Can you'll please suggest a couple of options?

-Bhargav
Go for Dell Latitude in that budget according to specs required. Commercial build quality with easy service /repair. And 5 years spares availability /service guarantee.

This is a good option.

http://www.amazon.in/Dell-Latitude-3...V12T81BEGJ7NPR

You might get a better deal buying from Dell directly as a small business /self employed customer.

Last edited by drsingh : 15th November 2015 at 14:00.
Old 15th November 2015, 16:29   #4518
BHPian

Quote:

-Bhargav
In case he wants a lightweight option, suggest him to take a look at Dell Inspiron 3148 (i3, 4gb, 500gb, windows 8.1). Brilliant little machine this is. have been using one since the past one year and I am totally satisfied with it. The 360 degree flipable IPS touchscreen (11.6 inch) is very useful and a great feature to show off I managed to get one for 34.5k last year due to excellent offer on Flipkart. And to top it off, have 5 year warranty on it. Dell may have some Diwali offer on right now too.
Old 16th November 2015, 03:13   #4519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
You might get a better deal buying from Dell directly as a small business /self employed customer.
Oh yes. He can do that! Thank you for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
In case he wants a lightweight option, suggest him to take a look at Dell Inspiron 3148 (i3, 4gb, 500gb, windows 8.1).
That sounds good. Thank You. Will ask him to consider it as well

-Bhargav
Old 17th November 2015, 10:57   #4520
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Go for Dell Latitude in that budget according to specs required. Commercial build quality with easy service /repair. And 5 years spares availability /service guarantee.
Can certainly vouch for that 'commercial' build. My Dell Latitude is now almost 3 years old and, despite incredibly heavy usage, has been 100% reliable.

Love the keyboard too (though I use a docking station on the desk).
Old 20th November 2015, 10:16   #4521
BHPian

Hi,

I have a 4 years old HP DV6165TX - Core i7, 8GB RAM, 5770 graphics card. It was working fine till last week, when my daughters had a fight, the younger one threw a punch at the elder one, who ducked and the punch landed on the keyboard. Now it's display shows strange colors, though laptop is working fine.

Any idea what might be wrong? And where can I get it repaired? I don't want to take it to HP service center, because it's a four year old machine, and authorized service center will charge too much. I am based in Noida, any good repair shops around or I will have to take it to Nehru Place only?

I am also planning to replace the HDD with a 256GB SSD; will that be a good idea?

Regards

Nitin
Old 25th November 2015, 09:45   #4522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,
Now it's display shows strange colors, though laptop is working fine.

Any idea what might be wrong? And where can I get it repaired?

I am also planning to replace the HDD with a 256GB SSD; will that be a good idea?
The screen is mostly damaged as it is showing different colors. Might need to replace that.

Replacing HDD with SSD is the best upgrade you can do with huge performance benefits. But you'll have to manage in a small size eg 256gb SSD costs as much as a 1tb HDD. And you'll be surprised at the responsiveness of the system. Try to get a 3 yr warranty SSD.
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:11   #4523
BHPian

Any reviews about acer gateway laptops. Getting a really good deal on snap deal. But wary of the service and quality of the product.
Old 14th December 2015, 19:09   #4524
BANNED

This is for a relative who had an accident sometime back & spends a lot of time in bed. He uses a laptop while lying on the bed. He rests the laptop on his chest/stomach & uses it. The laptop gets quite hot. Will a lapop cooler help? Will it be comfortable? Any recommendations?
Old 15th December 2015, 00:14   #4525
BHPian

This requirement is for my brother in law. He is in IT field (B.E.). He needs a laptop. I suggested him Dell latitude.

Can you please suggest model with i3 or i5 processor (4th gen will do), 4 gb ram sufficient, i suggested usb3, 500 gb (1tb shall be appreciated), 14 inch screen (is 15.6 inch with separate number pad essential). Can SSD be added later on by Dell so that warranty does not become void. Presently model with SSD is not available. Unfortunately backlit keyboard is not available in mainstream laptops but only in some ultra portables only. Why backlit, I am now typing at night with flashlight of mobile on but disturbing sleeping folks.

His budget is 40k but increased upto 45 for latitude and any future proof features like usb3 etc. Does not require powerful machine. At the most visual studio shall be used.

Is there any other future proof feature required? Can battery life be 4 hours with 4 cell battery?

Any other sturdy model in HP may also be considered. This shall be his first laptop.

He has old desktop at home but he is staying on rent in Mumbai. On weekend he visits home.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:13   #4526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Can you please suggest model with i3 or i5 processor (4th gen will do), 4 gb ram sufficient, i suggested usb3, 500 gb (1tb shall be appreciated), 14 inch screen (is 15.6 inch with separate number pad essential).
I ordered a Lenovo i5 4gb RAM 500gb HDD 15.6 with Windows 8.1 yesterday from eBay for 27800 after a 10% coupon. It is slightly cheaper on paytm but paytm is not shipping to chennai while Ebay is.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:19   #4527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
he rests the laptop on his chest/stomach & uses it.Any recommendations?
You get a stand with wheels on groupon but may be available elsewhere too. Just googled and see these two options.
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450151339.470336.jpg
Old 15th December 2015, 11:07   #4528
BHPian

Quote:

-Bhargav
I would recommend you the Thinkpad E450 - costs close to 45k, but a great budget device. Amazing Keyboard and built in touchpad. Decent Battery, decent screen (not HD).

It depends, if some one is going to type a lot then I cannot think beyond the Thinkpads. I am using one right now. Never go in for the 440 Series though.
Old 15th December 2015, 23:40   #4529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
It depends, if some one is going to type a lot then I cannot think beyond the Thinkpads. I am using one right now. Never go in for the 440 Series though.
You learnt well I see Welcome to the business-laptop club. I assume you got the E450, that model gives the maximum bang for buck and with rock-solid reliability as well. Here also, acquired an X250 couple of months back.
Old 16th December 2015, 10:36   #4530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You learnt well I see Welcome to the business-laptop club. I assume you got the E450, that model gives the maximum bang for buck and with rock-solid reliability as well. Here also, acquired an X250 couple of months back.
Went with the suggestions here really. I did not think the difference between 440 and 450 could be so much. BTW, yes, its the E450 in the office. I am looking at picking up the T450s for personal use sometime next year.

I have the newer Dell and older Sony Vaio at home, but after using Thinkpad, you wont touch that Dell with a pole. Vaio is still good (but config has become outdated).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks