Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2018, 10:16   #5161
BANNED

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Looks good in terms of config. Only issue I see, is lack of additional RAM slots. If you want to upgrade RAM to 16 GB, you will have to remove existing 8 GB stick.

How did you figure out if it has 2x4 or 1x8 RAM?
Old 21st July 2018, 11:49   #5162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Specifications > Processor and Memory Features > Memory Slots
Old 31st July 2018, 14:40   #5163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Hi Folks,

Looking for a laptop for home use. I'm not intended to play any heavy games and mostly using it for browsing, PPTs, Docs, Kids school works. Also, use for watching HD movies on YouTube/Amazon prime etc. Spec I'm looking for is

- CoreI3 and above (Preferably 8th Gen)
- HD display with touch
- 4GB or higher RAM
- 1TB storage
- Not keen on Graphics card as not a gaming freak assuming Intel integrated graphics will do the job. Please suggest if I need card even to plan high resolution movie streaming on HDMI port.
- Convertible if possible

I came across below one from HP which meets all the criteria

HP Pavilion x360 - 14-cd0050tx
https://www.hpshopping.in/catalog/pr...050tx-4lr35pa/

With the price tag of ~57K, I feel I'm paying extra for Nvidia GPU and MS Office. I already have MS Office licensed version which I can continue using. Do you folks see any other option fitting in around 50K budget?

Regards
SE
I just bought a laptop for my daughter who is going to college with the exact same specs (win10 Gen 8 i3 processor 14 inch screen 1 TB HDD) for Rs.35,399/- A very sleek and light Lenovo Ideapad 330S from Lenovo online Back to campus Special. Check it out!
Old 31st July 2018, 15:04   #5164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Do you folks see any other option fitting in around 50K budget?
Maybe check this one out.
Old 7th August 2018, 13:52   #5165
BANNED

I am planning to buy the Dell Inspiron 5370 from a shop. It costs around 60,000. They say that if I want to extend the warranty by 2 more years (i.e. total 3 years), then it would cost around 6300 Rs extra. But I try to extend the warranty later on (i.e. after purchasing the laptop) but before the year is up, it would cost 12,000 Rs. Is this true?
Old 7th August 2018, 20:59   #5166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I try to extend the warranty later on (i.e. after purchasing the laptop) but before the year is up, it would cost 12,000 Rs. Is this true?

Call Dell and get a quote. Difference should not be this drastic.
Old 10th August 2018, 10:36   #5167
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Looking to snag 1 or 2 business laptops in the upcoming freedom Amazon sale. These are my requirements:

1. Needs to run Windows + Office effortlessly
2. Needs enough oomph to run multiple tabs across browsers online (especially Drive folders and Google office apps).
3. Light enough to carry around.
4. Dont need a very a big hard disk drive, almost all our work in online.
5. Reasonable battery back up is appreciated.

Any suggestions in the myriad of brands and models available today? I prefer a budget of 25-30k TOPS for each machine.

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th August 2018 at 10:55.
Old 10th August 2018, 11:45   #5168
BANNED

Quote:
I think the quickest way is to open the case and take a dekko. I am sure there are some smarter ways, but probably not worth the effort.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:05   #5169
BHPian

I am indisposed for some time. So I have resuscitated my old Toshiba Satellite Laptop and surprisingly the battery is still active for a 10 year old laptop. I swapped out the ancient 80 GB drive with a 1 TB drive and it is in business. Only sore point is the memory is only 3 GB. It has 2 slots with 1 GB and 2 GB sitting there.
Question is where can I find a genuine DDR 2 RAM without breaking a bank ?
Windows 7 seems comfortable with 3 GB.
Old 10th August 2018, 13:11   #5170
BANNED

Purchased a Dell Inspiron 3750 13.3" i5 8th Gen, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB NvME SSD. Looked around both online & offline & the best price was at Reliance Digital store - Got it for Rs. 57,500. The 8GB RAM comes in 1 of 2 slots, so can be upgraded to 16GB later if needed.
Old 15th August 2018, 21:14   #5171
BHPian

Re: Cloning HDD to SSD?

To replace my ailing HDD(750GB) on Dell XPS 15(L502X) bought a WD Blue 1TB SSD. As I get myself to clone my HDD to SSD have few queries.

- The existing HDD is partitioned as 100GB as 'C' drive and the rest as 'D' drive. When cloned on SSD will it be partitioned on similar lines? Can I get to add the remaining space(1TB - 750GB ~ 250GB) on SSD to 'D' drive?

- Do I have to reduce the footprint on the current drive by removing videos and pictures before I initiate the cloning?

- Are there any issues with cloning vs fresh OS install?

Please advise!
Old 16th August 2018, 09:45   #5172
BHPian

Re: Cloning HDD to SSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

- The existing HDD is partitioned as 100GB as 'C' drive and the rest as 'D' drive. When cloned on SSD will it be partitioned on similar lines? Can I get to add the remaining space(1TB - 750GB ~ 250GB) on SSD to 'D' drive?

- Do I have to reduce the footprint on the current drive by removing videos and pictures before I initiate the cloning?

- Are there any issues with cloning vs fresh OS install?
If you have all the original software with you, then it is always preferable to start afresh and install OS and all other software. But if that is not possible owing to misplaced original DVDs/CDs for the software, then clone it. You can use AOMEI partition Assistant to resize the drive as you need.

Yes. Remove the Videos and pictures before you start the cloning as it would save lots of time - if you have a lot of Videos/Pictures. Use an external drive to store them.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:53   #5173
BANNED

Quote:
I am planning to buy the Dell Inspiron 5370 from a shop. It costs around 60,000. They say that if I want to extend the warranty by 2 more years (i.e. total 3 years), then it would cost around 6300 Rs extra. But I try to extend the warranty later on (i.e. after purchasing the laptop) but before the year is up, it would cost 12,000 Rs. Is this true?
Quote:
Purchased a Dell Inspiron 3750 13.3" i5 8th Gen, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB NvME SSD. Looked around both online & offline & the best price was at Reliance Digital store - Got it for Rs. 57,500. The 8GB RAM comes in 1 of 2 slots, so can be upgraded to 16GB later if needed.

So after buying the laptop, I called Dell & got the warranty extended by 2 more years for Rs. 4499 which was cheaper than what the store offered (but store also had free 1 year accidental damage insurance which I anyway wasn't interested in).
Old 16th August 2018, 13:52   #5174
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, eyeing this particular laptop: https://www.hpshopping.in/omen-by-hp...x-4rj78pa.html

Is there any better model/configuration available in similar price range??

Regards,
Shashi
Old 16th August 2018, 15:24   #5175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Guys, eyeing this particular laptop: https://www.hpshopping.in/omen-by-hp...x-4rj78pa.html

Is there any better model/configuration available in similar price range??

Regards,
Shashi
Hi Sashi, have you checked the MSI GV and Dell Alienware series or you are looking for something in HP only?
There are quite some better features for the same cost in MSI GV series and better (read sturdy) build quality.
I would have shared some similar products, but not accessible to a PC right now and browsing those websites on mobile is a pain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks