Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 14:20   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: The Home Theater thread

Hey Guys, a quick one..

I am using Onkyo 509 AVR with two front Jamo tower speakers.
At present, i do not have budget for surround and sub.

Can i use my old sony hi-fi speakers (from Sony MCH RV22 Hi-Fi system) as rear, with the Onkyo? Will it have any adverse affect on the receiver? What are the factors i check for the compatibility of sony speakers with Onkyo receiver? Any tips would be helpful.
Old 24th April 2012, 15:16   #1592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hey Guys, a quick one..

I am using Onkyo 509 AVR with two front Jamo tower speakers.
At present, i do not have budget for surround and sub.

Can i use my old sony hi-fi speakers (from Sony MCH RV22 Hi-Fi system) as rear, with the Onkyo? Will it have any adverse affect on the receiver? What are the factors i check for the compatibility of sony speakers with Onkyo receiver? Any tips would be helpful.
Hi Nasir,

If the fronts from your Sony system were either 6 Ohm/ 8 Ohm, they should be ok with your Onkyo (6 Ohms are the correct matched speakers). If they are 4 Ohms, don't use them, as you may risk blowing your amp.
In your Onkyo amp, set the crossover settings for the rear surrounds to 80 Hz + , as otherwise you may start getting directional bass from the rears which is not ideal for movies.
Keep only the fronts as full band (as you don't have a sub).

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 24th April 2012, 16:32   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Behemoth for the information.

Think the Sonys are 6Ohm. Shall check tonight and connect if they are.

Quote:
In your Onkyo amp, set the crossover settings for the rear surrounds to 80 Hz + , as otherwise you may start getting directional bass from the rears which is not ideal for movies.
Opps.. not sure how to do that.. shall refer the Manuel and give it a shot. Thanks again
Old 26th April 2012, 12:06   #1594
Senior - BHPian

:(

My 2yr old brat is damaged the cone of one of my tweeters.

Can someone recommend any place in Bangalore where i can get it repaired/replaced?
Old 27th April 2012, 12:44   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
... My 2yr old brat is damaged the cone of one of my tweeters. ...
Unless he has taken a sharp object and made a hole / ripped it, you can at a pinch do a jugaad repair.

Take a short length of rubber pipe (thin pipe, like petrol pipe), make sure one end is a clean circle without jagged edges. Touch it to the dented area and suck air out of the other end - you should be able to gently pull the cone back into shape.

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th April 2012 at 12:46.
Old 28th April 2012, 17:41   #1596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless he has taken a sharp object and made a hole / ripped it, you can at a pinch do a jugaad repair.

Take a short length of rubber pipe (thin pipe, like petrol pipe), make sure one end is a clean circle without jagged edges. Touch it to the dented area and suck air out of the other end - you should be able to gently pull the cone back into shape.
Thanks for the quick-fix tip, and i wish i could try that. The damage is done beyond repair. Its the exposed tweeter of the sony speaker (which i intended to use with my onkyo for the surround) and the cone is badly torn.

Today, located a service station and have given the speaker for repair. They've quoted 650rs for service (??) and part cost separate. On asking the cost of spare tweeter, they said it would have to be sourced. Will get back to me with an estimate. Hope its reasonable.

Quote:
If the fronts from your Sony system were either 6 Ohm/ 8 Ohm, they should be ok with your Onkyo (6 Ohms are the correct matched speakers). If they are 4 Ohms, don't use them, as you may risk blowing your amp.
Keep only the fronts as full band (as you don't have a sub).
The speakers are indeed 6 Ohm, and i did a quick trail as per your suggestion and played some DVDs. What a drastic difference it made. Looking forward to one of the sets after repair so i can complete the setup and enjoy.

That would leave me with a centre and a sub. hopefully in near future.
Old 30th April 2012, 10:36   #1597
BHPian

Hi ,

I am looking to buy a Home Theater for my home .I would like advice from the gurus here .
I like good deep Bass and most likely to watch movies (action"Fast and Furious " type ) and also music sometimes .
Initially I thought about Onkyo 3400 , Yamaha YHT 296 .Then thought I would also check out Bose and Denon .

I was at forum Yesterday and listened to Bose and Harmon Kardon .Bose was loud with small speakers but did not get the quality I was looking for .Harmon was also good kind of liked it .

I read a lot of reviews about Denon AV 1312 and heard that it is among the low end one that supports active sub woofer .Did not hear it .Planning to do so in another few days time .And the model AV 1312 XP which comes with Denon speakers I heard the speakers do not provide justice to the receiver .

Kind of sold over Denon -since they were pretty good from long time .Was thinking about AV1612 as option .If I go for it what speakers should one couple it with .Jamo sub woofer ?

Please provide your suggestions .Any good place in Bangalore I can check in .
Old 30th April 2012, 15:16   #1598
BHPian

Hi Guys,
The search for a good set of front speakers starts. My primary use would be stereo music as of now. Later on will expand the setup to 5.1 with a centre speaker and bookshelves for rears.

I came across Boston Acoustics A 360 model for around 39.9k at HiFi mart. From the reviews, the speakers seem to be very nice.
Anyone has first hand experience with these ?
How would these gel with my Yamaha RX-V371 AVR?
Where can i audition these?

The Hifi mart link : http://www.hifimart.com/boston-acous...ng-speaker-221

Last edited by djkher : 30th April 2012 at 15:43. Reason: corrected the link
Old 1st May 2012, 16:28   #1599
Senior - BHPian

The Boston is a nice speaker for the price. And the Yamaha will have no problem running them.
Old 1st May 2012, 19:48   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
Hi ,

I am looking to buy a Home Theater for my home .I would like advice from the gurus here .
I like good deep Bass and most likely to watch movies (action"Fast and Furious " type ) and also music sometimes .
Initially I thought about Onkyo 3400 , Yamaha YHT 296 .Then thought I would also check out Bose and Denon .

I was at forum Yesterday and listened to Bose and Harmon Kardon .Bose was loud with small speakers but did not get the quality I was looking for .Harmon was also good kind of liked it .

I read a lot of reviews about Denon AV 1312 and heard that it is among the low end one that supports active sub woofer .Did not hear it .Planning to do so in another few days time .And the model AV 1312 XP which comes with Denon speakers I heard the speakers do not provide justice to the receiver .

Kind of sold over Denon -since they were pretty good from long time .Was thinking about AV1612 as option .If I go for it what speakers should one couple it with .Jamo sub woofer ?

Please provide your suggestions .Any good place in Bangalore I can check in .
Go for Denon AVR 1911 Amplifier which supports HDMI and TRUE HD with USB connects as well. It's good Amp around compared to Yamaha.

AVR1611 is also pretty good VFM option

With compatible to either of these above Amp's, I would suggest go for Polk Audio RTI A7 or RTI A9 Tower and Monitor speakers which comes with Sub-woofer.

It gives enough punch and suits your requirement apt
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:46   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Go for Denon AVR 1911 Amplifier which supports HDMI and TRUE HD with USB connects as well. It's good Amp around compared to Yamaha.

AVR1611 is also pretty good VFM option
1911 and 1611 are discontinued Denon amps, replaced by 1912 and 1612 currently. Moreover, the 1912 is a network receiver, a feature not available with 1911.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:07   #1602
BHPian

kicksperliter and Bass&Trouble thanks for your inputs .In the mean while was at Profx and auditioned Denon 1612 with Polk Audio RM705 (which has a powered Sub ).This was the setup suggested by them and it sounded pretty good to my liking .Though they are suggesting to go with 1312 and same speakers - I think I would go with the 1612 as price difference is only 6k .
But I really liked the setup and sold over to Denon .
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:27   #1603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
kicksperliter and Bass&Trouble thanks for your inputs .In the mean while was at Profx and auditioned Denon 1612 with Polk Audio RM705 (which has a powered Sub ).This was the setup suggested by them and it sounded pretty good to my liking .Though they are suggesting to go with 1312 and same speakers - I think I would go with the 1612 as price difference is only 6k .
Hi Tamojoym,

In the same category do also audition the Energy Take 5.1, which is a speaker set which is rated very highly and is better than the Polk RM705. I think the cost is also comparable and not too much higher. The good thing is that both Onkyo and Energy are distributed by the same company in India and you should get them in the same showroom and service setup is also common.

I also went for the Onkyo/ Energy combination, though my setup is Onkyo 609 with Energy CF50 5.1. Been using it for 6 months now, and I am quite happy with it.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:56   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Don't go for 1312. Your choice of 1612 with RM705 is good and lately Polk Audio are coming out with good sound engineering with powered sub's in their tower speakers.

Also you should have checked out Wafer-dale speakers as well. These speakers are also great.

ProFX is one place where I have bought many products and know quite few people. Do PM me if you need more help.

And YES Denon Amp's are very good.

Suggestion: Think about in-wall JBL speakers supporting your main Polk Audio system if your carpet area of HT is large
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:39   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
A good HT system is also on my cards shortly. can you please share the cost of denon 1612 + polk RM705 ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks