Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 15:46   #1636
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Does sub work with "test" tunes? I.e. test mode where receiver itself plays "noise" on each channel one by one.

If sub is not working in that test, then it is definitely some fault in receiver. Sometimes, this gets resolved by flashing the firmware again but mostly connection issues.
Old 14th June 2012, 16:09   #1637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Does sub work with "test" tunes? I.e. test mode where receiver itself plays "noise" on each channel one by one.

If sub is not working in that test, then it is definitely some fault in receiver. Sometimes, this gets resolved by flashing the firmware again but mostly connection issues.
No. It does not work in the test mode also :( .
Old 14th June 2012, 19:28   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
No. It does not work in the test mode also :( .
Replacement is the only way out, otherwise if service center is owned by dealer; they might push for a Jugaad to get it working for now.
Old 20th June 2012, 09:30   #1639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Replacement is the only way out, otherwise if service center is owned by dealer; they might push for a Jugaad to get it working for now.
Finally got the receiver replaced. The service center/distribution center I think is run by Onkyo itself and not by the dealer. They wanted me to bring it for repair and when I insisted that i needed a replacement, they agreed but said that they dont have stock and dont expect for a week. Finally after many calls to the service folks I went back to the dealer (Onkyo Wonderland in Forum Value Mall) and the sales person there said he'll take care of it. He had no luck with the service center but ultimately managed to get me a replacement from the stock they had. He was pretty helpful throughout the whole process.

Overall not a pleasant experience. After spending 30,000 I get a defective product and took me a week of calls and followups to get a replacement. The installation guy from the service center came promptly after delivery, but once he confirmed that the sub-woofer out was not working, he said he'll come with a senior technician the same day, but never turned up. I had purchased new speaker wires and ended up doing the setup myself.

The product itself is pretty good. I wanted something better than the standard HTIB's and wanted a receiver based system since I had 3 devices to connect. So this was a good choice for me. The fact that they had a Blu Ray player bundled was an added plus.

Major negative apart from the defective receiver was the speaker cables. They were very basic and the rear ones were too short for even my small sized room. Had to buy new speaker cables.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:27   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Finally got the receiver replaced. The service center/distribution center I think is run by Onkyo itself and not by the dealer. They wanted me to bring it for repair and when I insisted that i needed a replacement, they agreed but said that they dont have stock and dont expect for a week. Finally after many calls to the service folks I went back to the dealer (Onkyo Wonderland in Forum Value Mall) and the sales person there said he'll take care of it. He had no luck with the service center but ultimately managed to get me a replacement from the stock they had. He was pretty helpful throughout the whole process.

Overall not a pleasant experience. After spending 30,000 I get a defective product and took me a week of calls and followups to get a replacement. The installation guy from the service center came promptly after delivery, but once he confirmed that the sub-woofer out was not working, he said he'll come with a senior technician the same day, but never turned up. I had purchased new speaker wires and ended up doing the setup myself.

The product itself is pretty good. I wanted something better than the standard HTIB's and wanted a receiver based system since I had 3 devices to connect. So this was a good choice for me. The fact that they had a Blu Ray player bundled was an added plus.

Major negative apart from the defective receiver was the speaker cables. They were very basic and the rear ones were too short for even my small sized room. Had to buy new speaker cables.
Glad that you got the replacement. I have the NR609 and love every bit of it. Onkyo's new design is sleek and simple. But I hate the way they cut cost by providing the old speaker terminals instead of the ones that are compatible with banana plugs (for zone 2 in my case). Even a 150$ sony receiver has those.
Old 21st June 2012, 18:49   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Nasir,

If the fronts from your Sony system were either 6 Ohm/ 8 Ohm, they should be ok with your Onkyo (6 Ohms are the correct matched speakers). If they are 4 Ohms, don't use them, as you may risk blowing your amp.
In your Onkyo amp, set the crossover settings for the rear surrounds to 80 Hz + , as otherwise you may start getting directional bass from the rears which is not ideal for movies.
Keep only the fronts as full band (as you don't have a sub).

Regards,
Behemoth
Hello sir, Since you have advised on this topic before hence tagging you to answer my question as well

I have a set of speakers (5 and not 5.1 as there is no Sub) which run on 4Ohm. I want to try and see if i can use them if i buy a nice amp to power them. I am getting Marantz NR1501 Slimline 7.1 AV Receiver at good price but the issue is that they are 8Ohm. Can speakers on 4Ohm run on this amp?

OT: Finally i meet you today on NH8. It was me in my XUV. Nice to see you.
Old 21st June 2012, 19:06   #1642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli

Hello sir, Since you have advised on this topic before hence tagging you to answer my question as well

I have a set of speakers (5 and not 5.1 as there is no Sub) which run on 4Ohm. I want to try and see if i can use them if i buy a nice amp to power them. I am getting Marantz NR1501 Slimline 7.1 AV Receiver at good price but the issue is that they are 8Ohm. Can speakers on 4Ohm run on this amp?

OT: Finally i meet you today on NH8. It was me in my XUV. Nice to see you.
Hi Nitin,
Good to briefly see you today too. Maybe next time we will catch up someplace close to our office. I am in tower 10C in Cybercity.
Regarding your question on the speakers, 4 ohm speakers can damage an Amp designed for 8ohm / 6 ohms as they will overdraw current due to the lesser resistance. The Ohm value rated of the speakers is a nominal or average value and varies almost +/- 75% from the nominal depending on the signal. A 4 Ohm speaker may go as low as 1 ohm when sound is played. During these short durations it will draw a huge amount of current, which can damage or trigger the overcurrent protection circuitry in the amp and put it in safe mode . So I would not recommend this combination. There are amps designed for 4 ohms also available, but most of them are typically very expensive. The most common spec is 6ohm and is good value for money. I would recommend getting the right combination of amps and speakers which will give you the perfect sound. Mixing wrong speakers with a good amp will just not give the kind of sound that you expect! If you are looking for small compact 5.1 speakers try out Boston Acoustics 5.1 or Energy Take 5.1 and pair them with a Denon 1612 or Onkyo 609 or Yamaha 675. Marantz is also good and is a sister brand of Denon - I found Denon better for Movies and works well with decent speakers. Marantz will need better speakers ( >1L ) to sound good.
I will also pm you my number in case if need any advice.

Regards
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st June 2012 at 19:14.
Old 21st June 2012, 20:13   #1643
Team-BHP Support

Guys one of the 5.1s in my house is conking off, its a Yamaha basic 5.1. I want a similar basic 5.1 below 30k. Obviously choices are Onkyo 3500 or Yamaha 296, any others? I know for movies both will be good, but what about music? I like and need a lot of bass.

Also are any of these airplay compatible? Do the receivers have an ethernet slot?
Old 21st June 2012, 21:18   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Nitin,
Good to briefly see you today too. Maybe next time we will catch up someplace close to our office. I am in tower 10C in Cybercity.
Regarding your question on the speakers, 4 ohm speakers can damage an Amp designed for 8ohm / 6 ohms as they will overdraw current due to the lesser resistance. The Ohm value rated of the speakers is a nominal or average value and varies almost +/- 75% from the nominal depending on the signal. A 4 Ohm speaker may go as low as 1 ohm when sound is played. During these short durations it will draw a huge amount of current, which can damage or trigger the overcurrent protection circuitry in the amp and put it in safe mode . So I would not recommend this combination. There are amps designed for 4 ohms also available, but most of them are typically very expensive. The most common spec is 6ohm and is good value for money. I would recommend getting the right combination of amps and speakers which will give you the perfect sound. Mixing wrong speakers with a good amp will just not give the kind of sound that you expect! If you are looking for small compact 5.1 speakers try out Boston Acoustics 5.1 or Energy Take 5.1 and pair them with a Denon 1612 or Onkyo 609 or Yamaha 675. Marantz is also good and is a sister brand of Denon - I found Denon better for Movies and works well with decent speakers. Marantz will need better speakers ( >1L ) to sound good.
I will also pm you my number in case if need any advice.

Regards
Behemoth
Thanks for the advice.

Well the issue is that i already have these speakers and they sound good. Currently i am using them as stereo speakers with my NAD stereo amp and they sound amazing. Hence i was thinking that why not use rest of the surround speakers and buy a decent amp for them.
Now my budget is around 30-35K so if i buy speakers and amp separately, then budget goes out of the window. Also the speakers which i already have will be not used and will get wasted.
So is there an amp which falls inside my budget and can run my 4Ohm speakers? I saw SHERWOOD RD-6505 AV RECEIVER which runs at 6Ohm at decent price. Is this worth it?
Old 21st June 2012, 21:34   #1645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli

Thanks for the advice.

Well the issue is that i already have these speakers and they sound good. Currently i am using them as stereo speakers with my NAD stereo amp and they sound amazing. Hence i was thinking that why not use rest of the surround speakers and buy a decent amp for them.
Now my budget is around 30-35K so if i buy speakers and amp separately, then budget goes out of the window. Also the speakers which i already have will be not used and will get wasted.
So is there an amp which falls inside my budget and can run my 4Ohm speakers? I saw SHERWOOD RD-6505 AV RECEIVER which runs at 6Ohm at decent price. Is this worth it?
You have quite a good stereo setup with NAD and no point breaking it. For 5.1 setup the speakers required are much simpler and smaller with a good amp. I suggest that you keep this system for music and make a different setup for 5.1. Maybe you can go for an Htib setup from Onkyo or yamaha. A 6ohm sherwood will also not be able to drive the 4 ohm speakers. Also in a 5.1 setup it is vital to have to have tone matching between fronts and Centre which you may not get easily.

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st June 2012 at 21:36.
Old 21st June 2012, 21:59   #1646
BHPian

My onkyo s3400 suddenly started acting weird..the display on the receiver suddenly goes off ..it stays for a while only after it initially powered on for the day after long interval...any thoughts from the experts on what could be the issue before I call onkyo service?
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:03   #1647
BHPian

Got my Onkyo 3400 from abudabi through a friend. Costed 15K for me. Overall happy with the performance. Played Contraband blue ray rip and heard some minute sounds which was not present while listening through headphones. Did set up and speaker positioning myself. I need to find stands for rear surround speakers.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:36   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I want a similar basic 5.1 below 30k. Obviously choices are Onkyo 3500 or Yamaha 296, any others?
Also are any of these airplay compatible? Do the receivers have an ethernet slot?
None of the basic 5.1s will produce a lot of bass. They are usually designed with the budget conscious user, and for small sized rooms. And no, they are not network capable. The Onkyo can be hooked up with an iPod etc from the front panel USB, not the Yammy. Both don't have Airplay. Get an Airport Express and hook it up to any of the optical ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubsmart View Post
My onkyo s3400 suddenly started acting weird..the display on the receiver suddenly goes off ..it stays for a while only after it initially powered on for the day after long interval...any thoughts from the experts on what could be the issue before I call onkyo service?
Try resetting the receiver before sending it in for service.
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:30   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
... Get an Airport Express and hook it up to any of the optical ins. ...
??? For remote control purposes? Hmmm...
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:43   #1650
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
None of the basic 5.1s will produce a lot of bass. They are usually designed with the budget conscious user, and for small sized rooms. And no, they are not network capable. The Onkyo can be hooked up with an iPod etc from the front panel USB, not the Yammy. Both don't have Airplay. Get an Airport Express and hook it up to any of the optical ins.

Try resetting the receiver before sending it in for service.
Thanks Ajay, was thinking about the airport express, but wondered if any amps in this budget were capable. Now I understand there won't be much bass with any of these, but comparatively in the budget, which one would be better for my type of music?

Also going to be visiting you soon for the proper 5.1, still haven't bought that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks