Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 22:12   #1741
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I bought the PSW 110 from Calcutta for 13.5K
The PSW-110 is decent - Nothing earth shattering but honestly it's the only decent sub available under 15K in India right now.
Thanks. I'd recommend the the Take Classic's over the RC Micro - Almost no price difference at all and equally easy to carry from the US.
Thanks Vcash.
I'm highly confused between the classics and micros. Most of the reviews says micros are better built and sound(haven't heard them though). But when I look at the frequency response, classics tend to be better(can go low as 115Hz) or buy micros and get a sub with a wide range for the low frequencies ?

One of the reasons for me to think on micros is the weight which is 11lbs vs 19lbs of classics
Old 15th January 2013, 23:01   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Try Decibel, Cinema Focus in Chennai

Ps unable to edit from iPhone app.
Thanks for the info, diyguy...I called them up, and they dont deal in HK.
Old 15th January 2013, 23:30   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

Thanks for the info, diyguy...I called them up, and they dont deal in HK.
There is one guy in gopalapuram about 2 houses before MLA Stalins house. One guy near the music academy. One guy on greams road near the moores road junction. These three are kind of upmarket. Sorry for the sketchy information, it's been a year since I setup my HT and I kind of lost the contact info.
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:03   #1744
BHPian

I am an audiophile, but due to budget constraints, looking for a entry/mid level home theatre system. Have these pre-requisites.
40" LCD
PS3
Some good 720p/1080p movies.
FLAC format music files.

Please suggest me the brand/model number. Can I get something within 15-20k here at Hyderabad.
Old 28th January 2013, 12:14   #1745
NMS
BHPian

Guys Really need some advice for a decent HT setup.
Recently I had queries about the car audio setup and had my queries answered by the Gurus in the thread. Hoping for some information about HT's here.

The requirements are as below:

1.) I am more into watching movies and would like to have a good sound experience from the system.
2.) My wife loves listening to music. And her primary usage would be for the music bit.
3.) Budget constraints restrict us to a range of 40 K

So we need a setup that can balance the above needs just perfectly.
We already have a blu-ray player.
So basically we are looking at a 5.1 setup. But that might be too ambitious I feel.
So don't mind going in for a 2.1 setup to start of with. (both include getting a good amp)

The thing is that we auditioned the Sony setup, their best setup as well did not tick the right boxes for us. We then saw the basic HT theatre setup by JBL, though on the higher side it was good. However the JBL rep, showed us the output from the Tower speakers, and we were completely sold on the concept.
And There was always a desire to get a HT setup with wooden towers, so the desire got a doze of red bull

But here is the thing, The Denon amp that we auditioned, was itself costing, 37K, the JBL towers were around 30K and the add to is a similar cost of the sub. So that goes waaaaay beyond out budget.
Denon, I feel is a very good amp, and something I feel we will not do complete justice to, So Now, we need some suggestions about good speakers and amps that can be considered ? Yamaha, Onkyo?? Or will that again be on the higher side? If Onkyo.. Where can we audition it? Cause we tried to check at a few places like Reliance Digital etc, but the guys were either not interested or just too busy !!

We would be going to Sound Factor , near MG road Pune, to check some systems out by this Friday. Any reviews about that place?

Last edited by NMS : 28th January 2013 at 12:17.
Old 28th January 2013, 13:47   #1746
BHPian

Has anyone reviewed this offering from Sony, costing 45k?
http://www.sony.co.in/product/ht-ddw5500
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-sony6.2.jpg  

Old 28th January 2013, 16:42   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Has anyone reviewed this offering from Sony, costing 45k?
http://www.sony.co.in/product/ht-ddw5500
It is nearly useless. Basically a 45 - 55 Watts per channel system. Sound is distorted at 10% even on that level that too at a single frequency of 1 KHz.

From the specs:

AMPLIFIER

60hms1kHz .................................................. ......... 90W + 90W
Total Power Output (1kHz, 6Ohms, 10%THD) .............. 185W x 6 + 200W x 2 = 1510W
Old 28th January 2013, 16:50   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
It is nearly useless. Basically a 45 - 55 Watts per channel system. Sound is distorted at 10% even on that level that too at a single frequency of 1 KHz.

From the specs:

AMPLIFIER

60hms1kHz .................................................. ......... 90W + 90W
Total Power Output (1kHz, 6Ohms, 10%THD) .............. 185W x 6 + 200W x 2 = 1510W
I would agree to that. I did listen to its 5.2 avatar and to tell you the truth, my over a decade old Sony VX8 sounds better, except for the bass ofcourse. The bass in the 5.2 seemed to overpower everything else.
Old 28th January 2013, 16:53   #1749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally setup the HT and thought I would share some pictures. Modest setup includes:
  • Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
  • Denon AVR-1513
  • Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers
  • Polk PSW-110 Subwoofer
  • Zotac ZBOX (Cedar Trail) running XBMC
  • Tata Sky+ HD
Wow! Great minds think alike

My systems are very similar. Pictures here (see post 39) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110639.20

Sources (almost the same for both systems).
CD - Marantz KI Pearl Lite
DVD - Marantz UD5005 (as it can play all regions of Blu Ray and DVD)
Game - Wii and PS3
Media Center - XBMC (bedroom media center still to be delivered) with 2 3TB hard disks.
Set Top box: Tata Sky HD+ (bedroom) and Hathway HD (Living room).

AVR/Amplifier:
Living Room: Onkyo NR3010 and Yamaha S2000 (for 2 ch. / front speakers).
Bedroom: Arcam AVR 400 ('biamped' using 4 channels for front speakers)

Speakers:
Customised versions of Selah Audio's Peridot (Excel woofers) with matching center, Tempesta Extreme (bedroom) and associated rear speakers (4 for living room and 2 in bedroom).

Subwoofers (each powered by Yung SD 500).
Bedroom: TC12
Living Room: TC15 (additional SEAS L26ROY rear subwoofer to be added after my wife finishes the design of the table under which it will be hidden).

TV:
Panasonic 65VT30
Samsung 46" (forgot model number)

Last edited by navin : 28th January 2013 at 16:56.
Old 30th January 2013, 14:21   #1750
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

My systems are very similar. Pictures here (see post 39) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110639.20
--------Panasonic 65VT30Samsung 46" (forgot model number)
Sir !! that is some awesome setup you have got there!! I had been to a Future Living Showroom in Pune, and I was awestruck seeing the kind of setups they offered. And now your setup takes it one step Ahead !!

I am also looking for a HT theater, though not as extensive as some of the setup's here. Earlier I had posted in the Ask the Gurus Thread in the ICE section and had got some great suggestions from you DerAlte and IshaanIan, while that plan is still to take off , the HT plans are for the near future. It would be great if you could suggest something !!

Last edited by NMS : 30th January 2013 at 14:23.
Old 30th January 2013, 15:01   #1751
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Guys Really need some advice for a decent HT setup.
3.) Budget constraints restrict us to a range of 40 K
We already have a blu-ray player. So don't mind going in for a 2.1 setup to start of with.

However the JBL rep, showed us the output from the Tower speakers, and we were completely sold on the concept. But here is the thing, The Denon amp that we auditioned, was itself costing, 37K, the JBL towers were around 30K and the add to is a similar cost of the sub. So that goes waaaaay beyond out budget.
With a budget of 40K I would suggest building slowly. I would get a nice AVR and a pari of bookshleves.

Just make sure the AVR has preamp outputs for at least the 2 front channels if not all 7 channels. Later add a powered sub. After that upgrade the front speakers to a 3 speaker set (front 3 speakers should ideally be matched) and use the bookshelves for rear. After that add a simple 2 channel power amp and run the front L&R speakers of this power amp. The power supply of most AVRs is hard pressed when driving 5 or 7 channels, the power amp will relieve the AVR of this stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Sir !! that is some awesome setup you have got there!! It would be great if you could suggest something !!
1. Made some suggesstion above.
2. My set up is not even close to what I could/would have done if I had a freee hand. In fact both my previous stereo setups (this is my first HT set up) would blow my current set up away when it came to dynamcis, SPL capability, while equalling the current setup in resolution.
Old 30th January 2013, 17:06   #1752
Senior - BHPian

I am scouting for some decent HT Systems in the market. I plan to get a Sony 32inch LED TV. I checked out the Sony HT Range and also the Philips Range which are costing approx 30k however they were not too impressive. I have made my choice of going for a Bose 2.1 Cinemate 2 with Gemstone Speakers. I checked them out twice and found them to be really nice and crisp with rich bass for a living room measuring between 100 - 150 Sq feet. These cost around 56k but i reaaly felt that these were VFM. Anyone else got Bose 2.1 HT Systems and would want to share their experiences, it would help me nail it then.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 30th January 2013 at 17:18.
Old 30th January 2013, 17:09   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110639.20

Respect !

Note from Support - Quoted text shortened. Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th January 2013 at 17:14.
Old 31st January 2013, 05:15   #1754
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks but this is like comparing a Fiat to Ferrari! Really sweet setup. I hope one day, I can slowly build my HT out to be a little more becoming of your compliment!
Old 31st January 2013, 11:43   #1755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks but this is like comparing a Fiat to Ferrari! Really sweet setup. I hope one day, I can slowly build my HT out to be a little more becoming of your compliment!
Building has it's joys. Becuase of my age I've just had a head start over most of the younger members here. In the 70s we used to be "flying blind". There was no internet, availability of magazines was restricted to what expats sold to the paper-batli-walla and parts were scrounged, salavaged and gathered with loving care.

In many ways I do admit (somewhat bashfully) that I was part of some of the better builders in my day (but my day passed 15+ years ago and now it is for others to take the mantle). I started out using Philips woofers, mids and tweeters.

What I consider as my first 'decent' system used a pair of Volt 10" woofers mated to 4 Jordan 50mm modules (The Jordan modules were so in efficient that we needed 2 per channel).

My speaker system's size peaked in the mid-late 80s when I got a pair of JBL 2245 18" woofers in huge 10 cu. ft. bass bins (later designated as B460 by JBL). These woofers were mated to 8" mid-woofers and a tweeter that could absorb prodigious ammounts of power. All that is in the past though.

The current system is much much smaller in size and sound stage than it's predecessor (2 12" Audio Concepts woofers mated to a pair of ScanSpeak 18cm Revelator woofers and their famous Revelator '9900' tweeter).

Last edited by navin : 31st January 2013 at 11:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks