Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 11:22   #1726
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Hey Vcash,

How much did the AVR 1513 and Polk PSW 110 cost you ?

I bought the AVR 1513 for 24,000 here in Kolkata.

How do you rate the PSW 110 ? I am considering adding it.

Regards
Old 7th January 2013, 11:23   #1727
Distinguished - BHPian

You want a wireless microphone? Or a wireless audio transmitter? For the wireless microphone, you get cheap quality ones as well as professional ones from studiomaster, shure etc. But they cost upwards of 6k easily.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:57   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You want a wireless microphone? Or a wireless audio transmitter? For the wireless microphone, you get cheap quality ones as well as professional ones from studiomaster, shure etc. But they cost upwards of 6k easily.
I have Philips professional wireless mics. I need a device that I could use.

I had a sony hi-fi to which I connected these mics. Now since the sony has gone kaput, I need a replacement.

Last edited by deepfusion : 7th January 2013 at 11:58.
Old 7th January 2013, 15:50   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I need some device which can be used for outputting sound using wireless microphones. The device might be a standalone music/hi-fi system, or one that could be connected to the existing home theater system (onkyo) that I have.

I had a sony hi-fi which was used for the purpose, but it has gone kaput.

Which one should I buy?

Please advise.
The wireless mic will have a receiver unit which you used to connect to the Sony hi-fi. Any other music system or amplifier that you buy with a set of free audio inputs will do the job.
Old 7th January 2013, 15:58   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The wireless mic will have a receiver unit which you used to connect to the Sony hi-fi. Any other music system or amplifier that you buy with a set of free audio inputs will do the job.
What is the most easily available device?
Old 8th January 2013, 00:15   #1731
BHPian

Hi, I am in search of a good electronics service center in bangalore, for my almost 10 year old Sony music system. The display and the cd tray are acting funny, rest if it is working perfectly.

I am not sure if the Sony service center would look at it as it was never sold in India. Was brought from Singapore.

Any suggestions??

MaSh
Old 8th January 2013, 18:03   #1732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Hi, I am in search of a good electronics service center in bangalore, for my almost 10 year old Sony music system. The display and the cd tray are acting funny, rest if it is working perfectly.

I am not sure if the Sony service center would look at it as it was never sold in India. Was brought from Singapore.

Any suggestions??

MaSh
Hello Mash,

I doubt Sony ASC will be able to repair it IN CASE it requires spare parts. In case, it can be done without the need arising of replacing parts (which of course looks doubtful), then the probability of getting it fixed is higher. This is because service manuals are not too tough for them to procure but as per the policy of the co. (which is of course Sony here), they are not liable to produce spares for a model which has gone out of production for more than 5 years.

However, when my 7 years old Sony disc-man needed a new lens, the Sony ASC in our area was considerate enough to order a new lens from Singapore as it was not available in India. However, it took a time of about 25 days in all, but my device was singing again.

All this said & done, still Sony ASC is your best bet as they are probably the only ones who can source spares, if needed. If they fail, then you may try a good & reputed electronics repair shop in your area, who may find alternative like fixing old/used spare parts which match.

Regards.
Old 8th January 2013, 19:22   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Mash,

I doubt Sony ASC will be able to repair it IN CASE it requires spare parts. In case, it can be done without the need arising of replacing parts (which of course looks doubtful), then the probability of getting it fixed is higher. This is because service manuals are not too tough for them to procure but as per the policy of the co. (which is of course Sony here), they are not liable to produce spares for a model which has gone out of production for more than 5 years.

However, when my 7 years old Sony disc-man needed a new lens, the Sony ASC in our area was considerate enough to order a new lens from Singapore as it was not available in India. However, it took a time of about 25 days in all, but my device was singing again.

All this said & done, still Sony ASC is your best bet as they are probably the only ones who can source spares, if needed. If they fail, then you may try a good & reputed electronics repair shop in your area, who may find alternative like fixing old/used spare parts which match.

Regards.
The good thing is, its not Dead. Its doing active duty as my LCD's dedicated speakers. The display is off and the CD tray needs to be kept out other wise it makes a whirring sound. Want just these two checked and if possible repaired. The model is VX8, on which most of the new music systems sold in India are based.

Will visit a Sony service center close to home and see what they say. I do have the Service Manual for this, so even if they dont have it, can check if there are any shared parts with newer systems.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-sony-vx8.jpg  

Last edited by mashmash : 8th January 2013 at 19:26.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:53   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash

The good thing is, its not Dead. Its doing active duty as my LCD's dedicated speakers. The display is off and the CD tray needs to be kept out other wise it makes a whirring sound. Want just these two checked and if possible repaired. The model is VX8, on which most of the new music systems sold in India are based.

Will visit a Sony service center close to home and see what they say. I do have the Service Manual for this, so even if they dont have it, can check if there are any shared parts with newer systems.
Sony should be able to service it for you. I have a old music system which came prior to vx8 model and was able to have it serviced. This was some years back and they charged a premium as it was not locally made.
Old 11th January 2013, 15:26   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Is there any dealer who sells Harman Kardon home theatre receivers in Chennai ?
Old 11th January 2013, 21:55   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Is there any dealer who sells Harman Kardon home theatre receivers in Chennai ?
Most of the big guys sell the most popular systems
Old 12th January 2013, 23:00   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post

Most of the big guys sell the most popular systems
Try Decibel, Cinema Focus in Chennai

Ps unable to edit from iPhone app.
Old 15th January 2013, 02:08   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post

Modest setup includes:
  • Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
  • Denon AVR-1513
  • Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers
  • Polk PSW-110 Subwoofer
  • Zotac ZBOX (Cedar Trail) running XBMC
  • Tata Sky+ HD
Cheers!
V
Congratulations Vcash!

I'm too planning to set up my HT and have planned to buy Energy RC Micro 5.0 and Sony STR-DH830 AVR from US this month end

Other components of HT would be a pana 42ST30 and a PS3 super slim(already bought)

How much did polk psw-110 cost? Plan to buy this in India itself(Bangalore) and any input on the pricing would certainly help

Last edited by ravikn : 15th January 2013 at 02:10.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:59   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Finally setup the HT and thought I would share some pictures. Some casing work for the speaker cables is yet to be completed as is a DVD shelf and a comfortable couch but I am done for the most part.

Modest setup includes:
  • Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
  • Denon AVR-1513
  • Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers
  • Polk PSW-110 Subwoofer
  • Zotac ZBOX (Cedar Trail) running XBMC
  • Tata Sky+ HD
Cheers!
V
Hello Vcash,
i am also shortly getting Denon AVR 1613 (i chose it because of Audyssey feature) and Energy RC-Micro 5.1 from US.
do you think Denon 1513 will suffice for a normal use (i am not so audiophile)?
what kind of wires did you use to connect this system? i came to know that 16 gauge copper wires improves the sound significantly. as they are quite cheap in US (10 US dollars for 100 ft. wire) so getting it along with complete setup. also a separate cable for subwoofer connection.

i would appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by Nicky : 15th January 2013 at 09:02.
Old 15th January 2013, 12:52   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Hey Vcash,

How much did the AVR 1513 and Polk PSW 110 cost you ?

How do you rate the PSW 110 ? I am considering adding it.

Regards
I bought the PSW 110 from Calcutta for 13.5K and the AVR from Dubai for a shade under 20K.

The PSW-110 is decent - Nothing earth shattering but honestly it's the only decent sub available under 15K in India right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Congratulations Vcash!

I'm too planning to set up my HT and have planned to buy Energy RC Micro 5.0 and Sony STR-DH830 AVR from US this month end
Thanks. I'd recommend the the Take Classic's over the RC Micro - Almost no price difference at all and equally easy to carry from the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
i am also shortly getting Denon AVR 1613 (i chose it because of Audyssey feature) and Energy RC-Micro 5.1 from US.
do you think Denon 1513 will suffice for a normal use (i am not so audiophile)?
what kind of wires did you use to connect this system? i came to know that 16 gauge copper wires improves the sound significantly. as they are quite cheap in US (10 US dollars for 100 ft. wire) so getting it along with complete setup. also a separate cable for subwoofer connection.

i would appreciate your feedback.
My first choice was the 1612 but they had phased the model out by the time I was ready to buy. The 1513 is sufficient for our use - only movies and TV and no music. I also went with local cables but got high quality ones (Not sure of gauge) and so far that has also worked out well. For the Sub cable though, I picked up a 6 foot cable from Dayton Audio which has some pretty preferable reviews.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks