Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2007, 15:28   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
1. thats the secret. since it cannot play HD DVD & Blue Ray, they have thought it convenient to dump it into india. how wow !! happens in any commodity.

2. A good setup though.

3. P.S has anyone tried DVD audio ??
1.EL , I disagree. DV SP 504 was globally launched by onkyo 4 months ago. First in Europe, Then in US and then in Asia. It is still sold in all mature markets . So it is not a dump. Onkyo aligned with HD dvd camp just one month ago and their HD players are expected in a years time. They arenot with blue ray. They have been very decent in launchig their latest global models in India, with a lag of 3 - 4 months.

2. THD of 0.003% at 1 KHz is not a joke. It is an audiophile player.

3, Yes . IMO a well mastered 5.1 DVD audio can blow you away with detailing and depth.
Old 7th February 2007, 15:50   #227
Senior - BHPian

w 12, thanks for pointing that out. good on you, onkyo. Most brands dump their non-saleable products into countries like india.
Old 7th February 2007, 16:20   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
2. THD of 0.003% at 1 KHz is not a joke. It is an audiophile player.
What does this THD figure refer to? If it is for power amps then definitely its not a joke (I don't mean to call it a joke even otherwise, but just that power amp is something wherein getting that kind of figure is difficult). However, since it is a "player" I wouldn't expect it to have amps, may be you are referring to pre-amp outputs?
Old 7th February 2007, 16:23   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
What does this THD figure refer to? If it is for power amps then definitely its not a joke (I don't mean to call it a joke even otherwise, but just that power amp is something wherein getting that kind of figure is difficult). However, since it is a "player" I wouldn't expect it to have amps, may be you are referring to pre-amp outputs?
ya it is a pre amp output.....of the onkyo player......
Old 7th February 2007, 19:18   #230
BHPian

some more technical details.. for those interested

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/...us_leaflet.pdf
Old 7th February 2007, 20:20   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Muni... thanks for the response.

Checked at E-zone, the same set was available at 25K i.e. without any combo offer. Is it priced < 20k. If yes where can I get it. Any good places in Bangalore (where you do not get cheated) to check these brands out.

I did not go with the offer. Deferred the decision by a month. But have to buy a nice HT for sure (no Philips / Sony stuff).

~maniac

u must be looking for the 7.1 model of onkyo if it is arnd 24K. There is a hometheater package from jamo( floor standing fronts included) with onkyo reciver going for a decent price. Audition the different setups in ezone and make a decision if you are satisfied. There is one showroom in brigade road just after the brigade circle while going towards MG road after the showoff showroom. You can check there also.
Old 7th February 2007, 23:41   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
u must be looking for the 7.1 model of onkyo if it is arnd 24K.
I am of the opinion that any decent player should be fine, no need to strive for hi-fi brands. You should be able to save significant money and probably put the same in better av-receiver or speakers. Because in any high end setup, player is expected to be connected through fully digital connection like coaxial/optical, and more recently HDMI thereby having absolutely no loss of original content.

Just to give an example, one of my friend had bought an all-onkyo package 3-4 years back worth Rs. 80K. His player has problems playing many dvds/cds, whereas my el cheapo cyberhome dvd player bought around the same time ($35 => Rs. 1600/- only) hardly makes any complains. Even for disks known to have scratches, it usually skips those portions instead of getting hung.
Old 15th February 2007, 17:46   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Onkyo HT580

Guys, I have a HT-580 series of Onkyo Home Theatre which is a 5.1 channel, how do you rate this home theatre. I know, I know its basic but would love to hear some positive and negatives of the same
Old 24th February 2007, 18:34   #234
Senior - BHPian

Any one on this forum trid this from Sony ? DAV LF1
Old 25th February 2007, 14:22   #235
BHPian

hi all, my home theater set up is:
tv:sony 29"
centre speaker:jbl
front speakers:wharfedale,saphire 89-floor standers.
sub woofer:yamaha yst100.
surround speakers:bose 301
back surrounds:bose 201
a/v receiver:yamaha rxv 1400.
dvd player:sony
Old 14th March 2007, 00:35   #236
BHPian

Any pure stereo fans out there? I need a suggestion.. I need to choose a CD player and an amplifier to go with a pair of Jamo Classic 10 speakers (rated at 250W peak, 180W continuous).

So far I'm considering the Arcam CD73 CD player and the Rotel RB-06 and RC-06 pre and power amplifier combination. Any better options out there in the same price range? (total less than 1L)
Old 26th March 2007, 11:21   #237
BHPian

I am thinking between a sony and pioneer dvd home theatre system with hdmi. any inputs on which would make a better choice? both are around the 40 k range.
Old 26th March 2007, 13:04   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

@Designation, thats a very nice-set up you got there. Can you list out the price of those components?

@Mrhap, why dont you also check out Onkyo. I think it is way better than Sony.
Old 26th March 2007, 13:10   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Any pure stereo fans out there? I need a suggestion.. I need to choose a CD player and an amplifier to go with a pair of Jamo Classic 10 speakers (rated at 250W peak, 180W continuous).

So far I'm considering the Arcam CD73 CD player and the Rotel RB-06 and RC-06 pre and power amplifier combination. Any better options out there in the same price range? (total less than 1L)
I use and pretty much swear by NAD for budget electronics.
Old 28th March 2007, 12:20   #240
BHPian

I am looking for a player with a built in amplifier which Onkyo does not have. Therefore was zeroing down on the Sony/Pioneer. Is the quality difference very high between Onkyo and Sony/Pioneer.

Out of Sony and Pioneer which is better?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks