Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2007, 13:41   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
wired or IR ones?

what other than these DAV-DZ556KB, DAV-DX555K and DAV-DZ520K.

@ vikram_d; checked the Harmon ones?
any review about HT ST600?

Since TBHP sound section is known to confuse, what are the options for me 25k max for a HTS
Old 27th June 2007, 15:44   #347
BHPian

Its Denon and Polk RTI4s for me

Hi all,

I made a trip to Calcutta earlier this month and after a lot of inputs from Navin Sir and a lot of listening, I chose the Denon 1707 + 2 Polks RTi4s over the Marantzs, the Azurs, and the Yamahas. Among speakers, I tried out Wharfdales, Mordant Shorts 902/912. I listened to the Polk Monitor 50s as well, but once you have a dedicated sub, they don't sound as good as the RTi4s. I have a sub in mind, so I overruled going for the Monitor 50s.

It is a pity, I could not try out combinations like the Marantz with the Polk, et cetera.

Anyways, I like the sound and I think it plays the entire range pretty well. I would highly recommend them.

Next stop would be for the Center speaker, subwoofer, and the surrounds. I might get Norge bookshelves/Polk Monitor 30s for the surrounds, and Polk Sub (PSW 10/PSW 12) and Polk CSI3 for the center. Or maybe I will go for something else.. Maybe a Sonodyne sub.. Let's see.

The Denon 1707:

The Polk RTi4

RTi4s (bi-wireable)

For the wiring, I got QED's Silver Anniversary.

Rs 29K something for the Denon.
Rs 14.5 for the RTi4s (pair)
Rs 3K?? for the Silver Anniversary cables.

Last edited by johy : 27th June 2007 at 15:52. Reason: Posted smaller images.
Old 27th June 2007, 20:29   #348
Senior - BHPian

@johy - what's ur take on the Polk 50s - on their own ?
What amp was driving the pair you listened to ?
Old 27th June 2007, 20:35   #349
BHPian

Hi Shuvc,

The Polk Monitor 50s, on their own, good bass, but I think they lack the quality the RTi4s can produce (just my take). The Monitor 50s just did not sound sweet enough to me.

Also, I would not buy the Monitor 50s if I were planning or already had a sub - no way.

I listened to both set of speakers for an extended period using the Denon 1707 AVR.
Old 27th June 2007, 20:55   #350
Senior - BHPian

Wharfedale subs are supposed to be good and easy on the pocket too.
Will you be getting stands for the Polks ? Or place them on shelfs ? Did ProFx have stands available ?

Any specific reason for choosing the 1707 over the 1507 ?
Old 27th June 2007, 21:17   #351
BHPian

Yes, Shuvc, Wharfedales are easy on the pocket, but I did not like their bookshelves (Diamond 9.1s) too much, they sounded too laid back/lazy to me - I mentioned this to Navin too and he said that coupled with the Cambridge Azur (another laid back system), the Wharfs would sound kind of laid back and as he put it "wooly."

I kind of liked the Polk Sub, and will try to listen to the Wharfdales sub once I am in Calcutta again. I did not actually ask for stands at ProFx. Perhaps they did not have them (or they would have offered to sell them).

I chose the 1707 for the bi-wiring for the future. Also, for some reason, I swear they sounded distinctly better than the 1507.

I am getting custom-made stands of 26" height made by my carpenter (like in the picture below). He will make them with dry hard sal wood, with a groove for the wiring, something like this in Cherry/burgundy finish.. Presently they are on two short tea tables...

Incidentally, the Japonica person called me up today. I told him I had already bought the amp and the bookshelves, so I said maybe I will check with him for the sub, center, and surrounds. He sells Paradigm - any idea how good they are?

Big Thanks to Kolkata Team-bhp members who gave me all the directions and pointers for the shops in Calcutta - I could not do it without them!

Last edited by johy : 27th June 2007 at 21:33.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:33   #352
Senior - BHPian

I understand that the ears should influence the final decision. However, a couple of theoretical question regarding amp/speaker matching for stereo.

A 80W RMS per channel at 8 ohm amp.
Which would be a better match -
a. Speaker rated 150W at 8ohm with 89dB sensitivity, freq range 52Hz upwards
b. Speaker rated 200W at 8ohm with 90dB sensitivity, freq range 48 Hz upwards

Considering combination b. above, would any of these sub-woofers be significantly effective in stereo mode ? I recall reading somewhere that for most normal purposes, lows upto around 50Hz is good enough.
a. 40-160Hz, 100W
b. 33-160Hz, 260W

Again considering combination b. above, what would happen if the system is mated with a 50-160 Hz, 50W sub ? Will the sound deteriorate ? Or will it have no audible effect ?

Considering a stereo combination of the following
48Hz - 24Khz speakers and 40-160 Hz sub, what should be the ideal crossover frequency of the sub ? 48hz ? Or should it have an overlap with the speakers ?
Old 7th July 2007, 07:58   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
How much did you pay for the projector? We're planning on buying one for our home theater.

Shan2nu
The projector with the screen costed me 1.3 lakhs. Got it from Chennai as there are no Hitachi dealers in bangalore. It is from the Illumina range.

Details: Hitachi Digital Media Group

@jk - No not yet. Havent had the time to go and check them out. Will be going there sometime on monday.

Last edited by vikram_d : 7th July 2007 at 08:04.
Old 7th July 2007, 13:57   #354
BHPian

My setup is as follows

Onkyo 7.1 HT-S990THX(S) - this is the only complete 7.1 THX certified system (receiver, speakers, sub, all are certified by THX) - price Rs. 60k
Philips upscaling DVD player w HDMI - price Rs. 5k
XBOX 360 - price Rs.40k including 10 games (bought in singapore - special edition)
Sony KF-42E200A - 3lcd TV - Price Rs.58k Sony India - like no other

Also got a APC 1000VA Bi100I UPS/inverter to take care of all my goodies - price Rs. 22k
This solution is the best thing that has ever happened to me
Old 7th July 2007, 17:41   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post

Also got a APC 1000VA Bi100I UPS/inverter to take care of all my goodies - price Rs. 22k
This solution is the best thing that has ever happened to me
Jassi, are you sure your amp is okay with the UPS/Inverter?

I say this because on the carton of my Denon there is a bright red warning sticker that say that the warranty becomes void if used with a UPS/Inverter.
Old 7th July 2007, 18:14   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Jassi, are you sure your amp is okay with the UPS/Inverter?

I say this because on the carton of my Denon there is a bright red warning sticker that say that the warranty becomes void if used with a UPS/Inverter.
that is becasue the inverter and the UPS tend to pass on good spikes which are not liked by all SMPS power supply in the amps.
Old 8th July 2007, 01:28   #357
BHPian

Hey guys - all my stuff is on the UPS but its a pure sine wave one which i researched should not cause any problemos. Infact the ups can just barely take the amp at peak sounds - my prime reason for ups is to shut down all gadgets i.e. 3lcd tv need lamp cooling time of 2 mins, xbox i need to save games - post that I mostly switch off everything and the onkyo is first thing to be switched off as it draws variable input power depending on output. Then I am on 25% usage with lights and fans which would last for 9-11hrs typically. The onkyo guys agreed w my research on pure sine wave ups/inverter, which I made very clear before buying the system, so at times if i am at the end of a movie, I lower the volume to decent levels and finish it off and then switch of the goodies If i am on xbox just switch off amp and then play the game till I am ready to save it and then switch off everything
Old 8th July 2007, 02:37   #358
Senior - BHPian

which sine wave are you using APC or our local brands like microtek or sukam.
Old 8th July 2007, 09:05   #359
BHPian

yes low_bass I am using APC - a few posts up on this page I posted my setup I wouldn't pay 22k for anything other than APC (mrp is 25k) which again I researched a lot.
Don't tell me the sukkam is really pure sine and APC is just quasi sine wave
Old 8th July 2007, 12:45   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
yes low_bass I am using APC - a few posts up on this page I posted my setup I wouldn't pay 22k for anything other than APC (mrp is 25k) which again I researched a lot.
Don't tell me the sukkam is really pure sine and APC is just quasi sine wave
OT :d

is it BI1000I? I doubt if it gives a pure sinewave. Will confirm by tomorrow as sales guy would be meeting me. Over phone he said its not a pure sine wave one .

And did they come with prestolite inverter batteries?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks