Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 21:50   #496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
@shuvc: Yup the old jamos got replaced by these. Any members in bangalore are most welcome to audition my setup though I must warn that my room is untreated and causes bass resonance to bloom at times. In under 30k, there's the Usher S-520(costs 19-25k based upon finish) and the V-601 a touch above 30. Plus there are the usual brands... Monitor Audio BR2, Mordaunt Short Avant, Jamo E825 (if you can find it), KEF iQ1 etc.
Thanks !!

I'd like to start planning now for a purchase maybe end of the year. The listening space is 10 ft wide by 23 ft long. Speakers would be placed say 9ft apart. Hearing position, would be midway along the length of the room, around 10 ft from speaker plane. I guess I'd need a sub to supplement the standmounts' low frequencies, in a room of that size?

How would you compare the sound between the S-520 and BR2?

Am not too good with audio jargon, but I guess I prefer 'laid back' sound with 'punchy' bass, 'strong' midrange, 'soft and sweet' high freqs. To give a reference, my current Illusion + GZ ICE satisfies this need.
Old 14th July 2008, 21:54   #497
Senior - BHPian

The BR2 has more bass but in every other department, the S520 totally kills the competition.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:25   #498
BHPian

The best out of the box home theatre money can buy within 65K is Bose 3.2.1 GSX.
Simple 2.1 system whcih gives the effect of 5.1.
The speakesr are so small that you can hide them and no one will know where the music flows from.
Check out a demo at Bose store, believe me you will not be dissatisfied with it.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:14   #499
Senior - BHPian

^^Bose is rubbish... as has been mentioned many a times .
Old 16th July 2008, 14:07   #500
Senior - BHPian

For an out of box Home theatre Bose is ok. Problem is in India its way too expensive. For that matter a lot of Home Theatre systems in India are way too costly. An Onkyo system that costs 15K (after convertion) in the US cost like 34K in India !!!

If you can get a nice AV receiver to go with a Bose speaker system that it would be good enough.

Serious audiophiles will pooh-pooh a one vendor solution and go for a combination of speakers/receivers/players from different vendors.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:48   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Serious audiophiles will pooh-pooh a one vendor solution and go for a combination of speakers/receivers/players from different vendors.
More so if that vendor happens to be Bose In my personal opinion, it is rightful though.
Old 16th July 2008, 15:17   #502
BHPian

Quote:
^^Bose is rubbish... as has been mentioned many a times .

Check out its rave reviews and cnet ratings of over 7/10.
And i said its a good out of the box package, when someone doesn't want to make his own HT with an amplifier from different manufacturer,and speakers from another.
Moreover, who likes to see his room as a spider web of wires and huge speakers occupying the space when one can get comparable output from the jewel cubes virtually hidden.
Old 16th July 2008, 16:21   #503
BHPian

i wouldn't pay for a bose when I can get an out of the box HT system which is thx certified like the onkyo ht-s990thx and yes this is rated 7.7 by cnet too Onkyo HT-S990THX Home Theater System reviews - CNET Reviews
I did add Jamo S606 fronts at a later stage S 60 cos some of my speakers were stolen in a robbery and only partially recovered!!
But overall I would say the onkyo thx htib is a good choice for a less than 50k 7.1 system I know thx don't mean anything to hardcore guys, but for someone getting a hassle free htib, it gives some level of performance guarantees as each speaker/sub and amp/reciever and even the wires are rated and certified by george lucas' thx
Old 16th July 2008, 20:00   #504
BHPian

HOme theater system

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
The best out of the box home theatre money can buy within 65K is Bose 3.2.1 GSX.
Simple 2.1 system whcih gives the effect of 5.1.
The speakesr are so small that you can hide them and no one will know where the music flows from.
Check out a demo at Bose store, believe me you will not be dissatisfied with it.
A Simple 2.1 system which gives the effect of 5.1 ??

If a sound clip is recorded for the rear right channel, then it has to come from the rear right speaker. I don't believe the bose 2.1 can do that without having a dedicated speaker placed in the rear right position.
Old 16th July 2008, 20:28   #505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any members in bangalore are most welcome to audition my setup though I must warn that my room is untreated and causes bass resonance to bloom at times.
Just let me know when is a good time. I'm interested.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:00   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Just let me know when is a good time. I'm interested.
It would be my pleasure . I just replaced my preamp tubes from Raytheon to 1945 vintange Sylvania VT-231s today. I'd probably give them another 30 hours atleast before they sound their best. So I guess some time around the 25th weekend should be perfect.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th July 2008 at 08:07.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:47   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check out its rave reviews and cnet ratings of over 7/10.
why buy SQ when you can buy Marketing eh ?
Bose FAQ (Re: Bose 301 speakers - Opinions) - rec.audio.opinion | Google Groups
Old 17th July 2008, 08:55   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
A Simple 2.1 system which gives the effect of 5.1 ??

If a sound clip is recorded for the rear right channel, then it has to come from the rear right speaker. I don't believe the bose 2.1 can do that without having a dedicated speaker placed in the rear right position.
Hey Fillmore,
Why don't you go for a Demo of these at your nearest Bose store?
Do tell us about your feedback.
I personally felt its a good HT without the hassles of wiring and complexity.
Old 17th July 2008, 10:04   #509
BHPian

Bose

Quote:
Hey Fillmore,
Why don't you go for a Demo of these at your nearest Bose store?
Do tell us about your feedback.
I personally felt its a good HT without the hassles of wiring and complexity.
Hi Zoom_vroom,

I did checkout the Bose store. Their demo comprises of a set of sharp and loud audio clips with no importance given to accuracy of sound reproduction. It only impresses armatures.

No offense to you, but don't go by what they are showing you in the demo. Pick your own test DVD or Audio Cd to listen to. Go to any other show room which has a setup combo of Jamo Or Onkyo Or Warfdale Or Sonodyne or any other big brand. Listen to the music. Then ask them to power off the sub, Listen to it again.

Now come back to the Bose store, ask them to power off their sub. ( you will be lucky if they comply) With their sub switched off their so called great speakers will produce a tin pot din-dan sound.
Old 17th July 2008, 10:10   #510
Senior - BHPian

zoom, please read the FAQ (its a bit long , but very enlightening) from the link i posted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks