Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 17:29   #571
BHPian

Harmon Kardon HKTS 11

Anybody has purchased or got the demo of Harmon Kardon HKTS 11? Any feedback on this?
Old 16th August 2008, 00:49   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Anuragn, Not very sure about the Yamaha AVR, so no comments.
Yamaha is relatively brighter compared to Denons or Marantz. So if you are using a laid back speaker like Wharfedale or B&W, Yamaha's tone levels get balanced. Mission or Klipsch may work better with a bit more neutral amp. In Anuragn's budget, Onkyo is believed to be fairly neutral and had discreet amplification. YMMV.
Old 16th August 2008, 03:16   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Yamaha is relatively brighter compared to Denons or Marantz. So if you are using a laid back speaker like Wharfedale or B&W, .
Sir, B&W cannot be in the laid back category by a mile..in fact the lower end ones screech like parrots..
Old 16th August 2008, 10:30   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Yamaha is relatively brighter compared to Denons or Marantz. So if you are using a laid back speaker like Wharfedale or B&W, Yamaha's tone levels get balanced. Mission or Klipsch may work better with a bit more neutral amp. In Anuragn's budget, Onkyo is believed to be fairly neutral and had discreet amplification. YMMV.
Thanks determinus,
I also felt the same about Yamahas, hence did'nt like their sound that much.
Old 1st September 2008, 14:33   #575
BHPian

My HT died on me yesterday all of a sudden, the Sub is not powering on - i tried different power outlets but with no success. I also checked the fuse and it appeared to be ok. The receiver and the DVD seems to work just fine. It's a Denon HTiB which is less than a year old.

Do you guys know any authroized service centre or a reliable place around the Koramangala(bangalore) area where i can get this checked.

thanks much in advance for any help.
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:33   #576
BHPian

I'm still looking for some leads. anyone?

Old 2nd September 2008, 13:51   #577
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
My HT died on me yesterday all of a sudden, the Sub is not powering on - i tried different power outlets but with no success. I also checked the fuse and it appeared to be ok. The receiver and the DVD seems to work just fine. It's a Denon HTiB which is less than a year old.

Do you guys know any authroized service centre or a reliable place around the Koramangala(bangalore) area where i can get this checked.

thanks much in advance for any help.
Nemo, try Hi-Tech service point behind Bethany school in Koramangala, the address is 277, 5th cross, 6th block, Koramangala, Tel : 41105959 or 41105050. I service my Denon, Marantz, Polk etc at this place and found to be satisfactory
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:55   #578
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Nemo, try Hi-Tech service point behind Bethany school in Koramangala, the address is 277, 5th cross, 6th block, Koramangala, Tel : 41105959 or 41105050. I service my Denon, Marantz, Polk etc at this place and found to be satisfactory

You may also try ProFx at Barton center MG road, they are authorised dealers for Denon, but servicing may take time and cost can be high

Last edited by jp1 : 2nd September 2008 at 13:56.
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:23   #579
BHPian

thanks JP, i"ll try Hi-Tech this weekend
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:41   #580
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I've been offered a pair of Mission M34i at 31k. Is the price right? Anyone know the Indian distributor of Mission?
Thinking of pairing these with Onkyo SR 606. Any inputs?
Old 4th September 2008, 14:50   #581
BHPian

Help required for a entertainment room set up

Hello All,

Any AV experts here??

I am currently designing my 3 bedroom flat and have dedicated 1 room for entertainment only. The size of the room is about 16X20 and has a balcony which I am enclosing to get more space.

The following stuff will go into the entertainment room and will need your suggestion on choosing the right VFM product,

1. A complete 5.1 home theater
2. A projector with HD 1080
3. LCD TV
4. Screen
5. Gaming device
6. Seating
7. Remote controlled lighting
8. Acoustics material

Now taking each of these things, I would like your suggestions for choosing the right product.

Home theater – My budget is 150,000 for the complete set up including the AV receiver and the speakers. What I am looking is for a set up which brings out the clarity in sound and also has a very tighter bass effect. Though don’t mind stretching a bit if justified well. I have auditioned the following brands so far,

a. Klipsch RF 62 series with onkyo 705 series – I found these speakers very loud and really didn’t enjoy the audition
b. Elac 100 series with onkyo 705 series – Much better compared to Klipsch
c. Jamo 606 series with onkyo 705 series – Same qualities as Elac
d. Usher, with Marantz receiver – Very mild, and looks like most suited or a 2 channel
e. Polk, KEF, and other Pro FX brands – which didn’t make an impact
f. Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 series with Cambridge receiver – Was impressed with the package and sounded really good. The speakers were quoted around 150,000 and the reciever i guess was around 31,000

Now my dilemma is if Mordaunt Short is the best VFM product in the market, and are there any other brands which can be compared to this one?

Projector – For the projector I am looking at getting one from the US, since the prices are much cheaper compared to the ones available locally. I have looked at Optima and Infocus. And I am particular about the HD 1080 projectors.

LCD - I am importing a Sony Bravia 40” W400 series from Japan for a price of $800. This was part of a large consignment we were getting for a hotel being constructed.

Screen - After reading all the reviews I have zeroed in on a fabric screen instead of a painted wall. I would like to know the size of the screen to be chosen and what brands are available in the market and the price. I am not keen on a motorized screen, but will have a pull down screen.

Gaming Device - I have decided to have the PS3, but does any one have good reviews on Nintendo WII?

Seating – Where can I source the kind of seats used in PVR? I may have a few seats of this type and another solution for lying down option,

Lighting
– I am yet to see the products available in the marker for a remote controlled lighting system, has any member used any such system and what would they cost?

Acoustics Material – I need a big help from all here to choose the right material for the acoustics, is it important to have sound dampeners on all sides of the room including ceiling and floor area?

I have looked at some POP material being used along with glass wool, are these the best suited for acoustics? Has any body got some knowledge on another material called the mineral fiber which is less expensive compared to the POP.? What about stuff like dynamite used in cars?

I plan to keep this thread alive through out the period until the entertainment room is completed, which may take another 2-3 months. I will also keep posting pictures periodically as the work progresses.

If anybody on the forum have a similar dedicated, pls advice. ( pic will be appreciated)

I am sorry for the long thread, but wanted to have all these in one place to be reviewed easily.

Regards,

Srisha
Old 4th September 2008, 21:12   #582
Senior - BHPian

Gaming device :

Got to be a PS3, besides being a good console it can play xvids etc and one of the best features is its ability to play blueray discs.

I have both the PS3 and Wii, the only advantages the Wii has over the PS3 is the availbility of chips (copied games can be played) and kids love it.

5.1 :

Why not go one better and get a 7.2 amp such as the ones from Yamaha.

Seats :

I would avoid a gaming seat and just go for cinema type seating in leather that is comfortable to sit on.

Lighting :

This can be really kewl is done right. Google for an idea of what can be done as some people go all the way and have remote systems which dim the lights and open the curtains (in front of screen).

One small extra I would throw in would be a programable remote for all your gear, you can assign macros etc so everything can work from a few key strokes. Logitech do a few which you can view at : http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...8&languageid=1
I think philips do them as well.

Last edited by bigman : 4th September 2008 at 21:13.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:07   #583
Senior - BHPian

Question for the experts on home theatre wiring.
Say I have a DVD player with an HDMI out, and I want to view the DVD on a plasma/LCD TV and hear the audio through a HT system.
I am guessing the DVD player is connected to the TV using the HDMI cable, and to the HT receiver using an optical/coax cable. Is this the best option?
Old 1st November 2008, 14:24   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Question for the experts on home theatre wiring.
Say I have a DVD player with an HDMI out, and I want to view the DVD on a plasma/LCD TV and hear the audio through a HT system.
I am guessing the DVD player is connected to the TV using the HDMI cable, and to the HT receiver using an optical/coax cable. Is this the best option?
The best option is to buy a HT system with HDMI interfaces. Your setup would then be:

- HDMI from DVD player to the HT system
- HDMI from HT system to the TV

But note that HT systems with HDMI don't come cheap. If you are running low on budget, your option works well.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:57   #585
BHPian

A friend is looking to buy an HT under 15K. He has shortlisted Sony DAV-DZ270as a probable choice. Anything else that he should look at or is this a good deal?

Sony DAV-DZ270 850W 5.1 Channel DVD Home Theatre at the best price in India! Sumaria.in

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks