Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2007, 10:11   #286
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Someday I want to build a house with my own hands.
I know what you mean. I built my own sail boat. Only the fiberglass hull, sail mast and sail was purchased from outside, did the mahagony deck, electronics (depth sounder etc..) all me self. It is not impressive nowadays but in the 80s I felt like Lone Wolf McQuade.

I also built me own guitar. Dimarzio pickups, Floyd Rose arm, Grover heads, My name in Mother of Peral engravied on an ebony fretboard with the "i" in my first name denoting the 12th fret and the "i" in my last name denoting the 3rd fret etc... some time ago my Avatar had a pic of it.

and since this is a car forum my godfather and me re-built a burnt out Triumph Spitfire in 1990-91.

The feel of maple, rosewood, ebony, mahagony, etc. gives me goosebumps.
Old 13th April 2007, 10:26   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
JB Labs Cobalt 826S peakers today powered by Arcam AVR 350 receiver..Also demoed B&W 604..Anyone having JM Lab speakers or heard them..
B&T should we hit him or garland this kid. JM Lab is a division of Focal. Focal has been one of my favourite companies and makes excellent drivers. JM
builds excellent boxes and I'm told that of late (the past 5 years or so) their crossover design skill have also be augmented by new talent and hardware.

The 350 needs a friendlier speaker. The 826 is a nice sounding speaker but it is power hungry and most AVRs wont be able to get the most of of them. A GOOD dedicated power amp would be best.

Funny, but the only B&W I even cared for was the old 801F. I find all of the new stuff to hae over extneded HF except for the 303. But the 303 is a bit ragged (which atlest can be tamed).

Now that you have educated yourself go listen to Vandersteen, Wilson Benesch, Sonus Faber, Joesph Audio (the Pearl named after Joe's MIL has it's shortcomings but Joe is such a nice guy it is a pleasure listening to his creations), etc.. (note I did not include Wilson Audio, just dont find them VFM anymore).
Old 13th April 2007, 12:48   #288
BHPian

any bryston (pre or power amps) user out here.need some feedback regarding the product
Old 13th April 2007, 18:26   #289
BHPian

Dear Navinji,

Hi!

My response underlined :

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
B&T should we hit him or garland this kid. JM Lab is a division of Focal. Focal has been one of my favourite companies and makes excellent drivers. JM
builds excellent boxes and I'm told that of late (the past 5 years or so) their crossover design skill have also be augmented by new talent and hardware.

Sir - It will be entirely your prerogative to hit or garland depending on your mood!! Even a hit from the Master is a lesson & one should just bow one's head..! Guess, I touched a nerve with JMlabs..wonderful sounding speakers..though the Cobalt 862S have been phased out now & replaced by V series (700s,& 800s - believe to have better bass) but haven't heard them or seen at the dealer's..

The 350 needs a friendlier speaker. The 826 is a nice sounding speaker but it is power hungry and most AVRs wont be able to get the most of of them. A GOOD dedicated power amp would be best.

Which GOOD dedicated power amp you will suggest to go with 826..? Something not very expensive..

Funny, but the only B&W I even cared for was the old 801F. I find all of the new stuff to hae over extneded HF except for the 303. But the 303 is a bit ragged (which atlest can be tamed).

Now that you have educated yourself go listen to Vandersteen, Wilson Benesch, Sonus Faber, Joesph Audio (the Pearl named after Joe's MIL has it's shortcomings but Joe is such a nice guy it is a pleasure listening to his creations), etc.. (note I did not include Wilson Audio, just dont find them VFM anymore).
Pearl would need a mother of an amp to run the m though..with 86 db sensitivity.. !!Amazing concept of infinite slope crossover & design of Pearl though..

Will try find out & listen to Vandersteen,Wilson Benesch,Sonus Faber, Joseph Audio..But doubt I will be able to hear them in Delhi..and in any case they will be something that I can ill afford..at the moment! But what do you think of Cobalt 862S (demo set,used) 5.1 set up at 1.75L..What should be the right price..

Thanks & Regards
Ash
Old 14th April 2007, 09:47   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
any bryston (pre or power amps) user out here.need some feedback regarding the product
Bryston has always made excellent products. Well built and good sound too boot. I have not heard one lately (last 10 years or so) so wont comment on the current crop but am not afraid to recommend the brand if the sound suits you.
Old 14th April 2007, 09:58   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pearl would need a mother of an amp to run the m though..with 86 db sensitivity.. !!Amazing concept of infinite slope crossover & design of Pearl though..

Will try find out & listen to Vandersteen,Wilson Benesch,Sonus Faber, Joseph Audio..But doubt I will be able to hear them in Delhi..and in any case they will be something that I can ill afford..at the moment! But what do you think of Cobalt 862S (demo set,used) 5.1 set up at 1.75L..What should be the right price..
Ash you are reading too much! Listen instead. Forget all that Infinite slope nonsense and use your ears. A systems' responsibilty is to make your toes tap and to give you goosebumps How it achieves this is not important.

Since it is a demo set I would negotiate hard.
Old 14th April 2007, 13:36   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

For half the post, he says JB Labs. I thought it is some new creation by Autophile. For that we need to curse him.. preferably in French.

JM Labs is a fantastic speaker manufacturer and I too share the same love for their products including Focal car like Navin. But the budgets are a big constraint. Also, can you check whether you will get warranty/ after-sales service on JM Labs from Faisal?
Old 14th April 2007, 13:37   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oye brother!

A friend of mine has used Bryston amplification extensively with Cadence electrostats and Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers. What do you want to know?
Old 15th April 2007, 09:24   #294
BHPian

b&t bhai i heard brystons pre and power amps mated to a marantz cd player.i liked the sound.i found it slightly laid back ,the way i wanted.it was very very clean with gut wrenching power.my cousin is in canada so was thinking to get amps through him bcoz it would be lot cheaper as its a canadian co but was only worried about the overall EFFICIENCY and service factor in india.would be probably going for a pre and two monoblocks.
please correct me if i am wrong,i think it would be better for electrostats if they are mated to a tube amplifier.i think brystons would not have done justice to those cadence.this is what i think please let me know the real facts bhai.
Old 15th April 2007, 11:00   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
For half the post, he says JB Labs. I thought it is some new creation by Autophile. For that we need to curse him.. preferably in French.

JM Labs is a fantastic speaker manufacturer and I too share the same love for their products including Focal car like Navin. But the budgets are a big constraint. Also, can you check whether you will get warranty/ after-sales service on JM Labs from Faisal?
Dear B&T jee, I am sorry jee for referring to JMlabs as JB labs !! French curses is fine..even Punjabi ones will do Galti se mistake ho gayi!!

Yeah,will be meeting Faisal next weekend & then will surely asking him on warranty/after sales..But usually whats the deal with demo sets..and what should be good bargain price for the Cobalt 862S 5.1?? Faisal 's asking for 1.75 L..Also which power amp I should match JMlabs CObalt 862S with..Will be using a receiver (pre) like Arcam/High end Marantz.
Old 16th April 2007, 09:18   #296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Also which power amp I should match JMlabs CObalt 862S with...
Any amp that can handle complex loads will do. Think overbuilt, tightly regulated Power supply. Think BIG. On a budget maybe a 200W/ch from Advnaced Acoustics or is it Acoustic Arts will do.
Old 27th April 2007, 21:50   #297
BHPian

Recommendations on Norge

Hi folks,

What would be your take on Norge products

This amp

Norge 2060 Stereo Amplifier

and Norge Bookshelf speakers

Norge Book Shelf Speakers MD 80 VIFA

Can one use a Stereo amp/bookshelves for movies? For an entry-level home theater setup (29" CRT TV and DVD player). Or would it be a big compromise for movies?
Old 28th April 2007, 19:34   #298
BHPian

Just wondering if this or a similar product is available in India - what do you guys use to protect your expensive AV equipment? Normal UPSs? Surge protectors?

APC - S Type AV Power Conditioner with Battery - Product Information

Last edited by johy : 28th April 2007 at 19:35.
Old 29th April 2007, 10:34   #299
BHPian

Quote:
I have used Brystons and other high end amplifiers like McIntosh, Cinepro, Bel Canto, Plinius, Krell, ASR etc. what do you want to know.

Brystons are good amps with amazing build quality, I always found them at clinical and brighter as compared to other amps and I think you can buy much better amplifier for the same money.

Last edited by Autophile : 29th April 2007 at 10:37.
Old 29th April 2007, 10:46   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

You have a v.good amp. NAD C320 BEE & C325 BEE from NAD are quality amps. How much did you amp cost? You're right about entry level CD players but using computer as a source when you have NAD C320 BEE apm..But how's the music & what genre of music you're into..How's Jamo E855 performance..whats the impedance & recomended amp.power with these speakers..Do let us know.

Cheers
Ash
The NAD BEE combo is very good but I found Cambridge Audio 640 combo better as it has more smoother sound and also have more detail in midrange and treble. The overall presentation of the sound is very good, has to be the best CD player - integrated combo.

Hence happen to own one too .
I have listened to most of the speaker brands. It will be really long post and tiring for me if I write them all here. My all time favourite is Tannoy especially the old school ones or the current Prestige Series.

Last edited by Autophile : 29th April 2007 at 10:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks