Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 12:31   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
Hey all i am looking for a decent ( not to exp surround sound system for my bedroom ( already have an lcd with a ps2 dvd palyer( plays divx and straight from USB) and a PC connect to it)
any advice ?
Old 10th April 2007, 12:51   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Even NAD would be a good option (all 50>60k-ish). I would say go for Monitor B. Its basic 5.1 is ~90k and 5.1 with floorstanders, ~1.2 or so. Mate them with HK and give a listen.
B&T loves NAD, I prefer Rotel (in the same price range). A step below Rotel and NAD is Marantz and Denon etl al.

BTW I did hear a nice 5.1 system using Monitor Bronze powered by a Marantz SR 7000. The system is a few years old (about 4-5 years old) and still does a good job. If the 7400 is related to the 7000 it is a good buy.
Old 10th April 2007, 12:57   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
Thanks for your advise..Infact, you've laid out quite a few veritable who's-who in amp
the complete list is longer much longer and I dont have the memory to remember all the names.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:07   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
B&T loves NAD, I prefer Rotel (in the same price range). A step below Rotel and NAD is Marantz and Denon etl al.

BTW I did hear a nice 5.1 system using Monitor Bronze powered by a Marantz SR 7000. The system is a few years old (about 4-5 years old) and still does a good job. If the 7400 is related to the 7000 it is a good buy.
Hi Navin,

Thanks so much for taking out time & responding! I am sure you're talking about integrated amplifiers (& not a/v receivers) from NAD, Rotel, Mrantz, Denon or are you? NAD first of all is not available in official capacity in Delhi (B&T - pls help if you know ) only thing that goes against NAD is the industrial look which is imp. as anyone who is married will vouch for

But the recent launch of NAD Master series integrated amp.M3 is an a class of its own,one of the best I am told!! (Available at Lakozy,Chowpatty for INR 1.25 L approx.wish I can afford one..amazing looks,performance & reviews) Rotel thru official channel , I haven't come across in Delhi again. Any particular series or model fm Rotel you can recall which is good & at a decent price..

Yes,Marantz SR 7400 ( Ken Ishiwata signature series :better quality components & parts used ) is a subsequent version of SR 7000 & I will be hearing it again matched with Mordaunt SHort THX 502 series speakers or 908i series 5.1 system. Navin,I am yet to audition Monitor Audio bronze (R6 floor standers),silver series..Its difficult to audition decent systems in Delhi..sigh..
Old 10th April 2007, 15:24   #260
BHPian

Quote:
the complete list is longer much longer and I dont have the memory to remember all the names.
I am also considering Arcam entry level amp.A70 & cd player CD 73T & Cambridge Audio's Azur 640A/540A too..Arcam audition later this week..hunting for Cambridge Audio delear who's willing to audition..

Any ideas if the above mentioned electronics will be cheaper in Singapore & will there be any custom duty applicable on say >1-2 Sin$ if I were .to buy any of these in Singapore..I am likely to go to Singapore in May & then in June (Singapore sale!) too..
Old 10th April 2007, 15:30   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Navin : It would be great to know some more marquee names from you & compare them with others..What audio-video set up you have at home,Navin? How's it going for you..when was this set up..Pls do mention the speaker cables & inter-connects being used as well..Any acoustic treatment done?

Thanks
Ash
Old 10th April 2007, 18:53   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
Hi Navin,

Thanks so much for taking out time & responding! I am sure you're talking about integrated amplifiers (& not a/v receivers) from NAD, Rotel, Mrantz, Denon or are you? NAD first of all is not available in official capacity in Delhi (B&T - pls help if you know ) only thing that goes against NAD is the industrial ....

used ) is a subsequent version of SR 7000 & I will be hearing it again matched with Mordaunt SHort THX 502 series speakers or 908i series 5.1 system. Navin,I am yet to audition Monitor Audio bronze (R6 floor standers),silver series..Its difficult to audition decent systems in Delhi..sigh..
I thought there was a dealer for NAD in Delhi. I am not sure. It is imported and distributed by Lakozy. I would assume Faisal Hamid sells NAD, maybe not. The NAD Master Series is good stuff, but I have not been able to evaluate it at length. The Classic Series, especially the stereo stuff is simply awesome, unbeatable value for money.

I'm not a big fan of Morduant Short speakers. Nor the Monitor Audio Bronzes. The Silvers are very very nice. Why dont you look up Tannoy also? They make breathtaking stuff. People still buy Boston Acoustics home audio?

There are several jokes pertaining to NAD's plain-jane looks. They counter it with adverts and posters that say "Flashy badges look good if you're into law enforcement", "The only time of the year that blinking lights are recommended in your living room are around Xmas" and the sort. Fortunately, now, they are available in a Titanium finish. Earlier it used to be all black. Prior to the black, it used to be a green that could have you rounded up at a check post for possession of military equipment. End of the day, it sounds awesome, and it saves you money that would otherwise be spent on cosmetics. Wrt 'Wife Acceptance Factor', the last part about the saving sometimes works. The downside is that the 'saved' money will still be used for cosmetics. Hers.
Old 10th April 2007, 19:22   #263
Senior - BHPian

could the experts throw some light on my query too? please?
Old 11th April 2007, 11:07   #264
BHPian

Hi B&T,

Greatly enjoyed your post..My responses in bold. pls do revert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I thought there was a dealer for NAD in Delhi. I am not sure. It is imported and distributed by Lakozy. I would assume Faisal Hamid sells NAD, maybe not. The NAD Master Series is good stuff, but I have not been able to evaluate it at length. The Classic Series, especially the stereo stuff is simply awesome, unbeatable value for money.

There's no NAD dealer in Delhi..Faisal Hamid (Sound of Music) stocks Arcam & few other esoteric brands..I have spoken to him & will go & listent to Arcam A70 amp.Believe its good.

I'm not a big fan of Morduant Short speakers. Nor the Monitor Audio Bronzes. The Silvers are very very nice. Why dont you look up Tannoy also? They make breathtaking stuff. People still buy Boston Acoustics home audio?

MS speakers may not be the best in business but are decent sounding (esp.908i floor standers : 30K) & at the price they are greate value for money for home use & great lookers..(flogging a deal horse you may presume!) gel well with the interiors . Heard MS Performance 6 series (Rs.2.5 L/pair) too y'day floor standers with Marantz PM - 11S1 integrated stereo amp. (Rs.1.1L) & SA 11S1 SACD player(Rs.95K!!) (had iraghava for company during audition..auditioned on Doors & Red Hot Chilli Peppers) & it was VERY good (& expensive combo!). will try to audition Tannoy(any suggestions on model & approx.pricing,I am keen on getting floor standers).iraghava promised to use his good offices in saadi Dilli for the noble cause!! iraghava,u listening??!! Yeah:Boston still selling a bit here..

There are several jokes pertaining to NAD's plain-jane looks. They counter it with adverts and posters that say "Flashy badges look good if you're into law enforcement", "The only time of the year that blinking lights are recommended in your living room are around Xmas" and the sort. Fortunately, now, they are available in a Titanium finish. Earlier it used to be all black. Prior to the black, it used to be a green that could have you rounded up at a check post for possession of military equipment. End of the day, it sounds awesome, and it saves you money that would otherwise be spent on cosmetics. Wrt 'Wife Acceptance Factor', the last part about the saving sometimes works. The downside is that the 'saved' money will still be used for cosmetics. Hers.
YOU BET! Cosmetics may rival NAD in the money spent!

NAD still comes in drab gray color till today (cae in the point C320BEE,C325BEE). Titanium finish is a very recent origin - Master Series & it took a orporate restructuring & mgmt shakeout for the new design & finish !..How much would a classic series stereo amp would cost??
Old 11th April 2007, 12:24   #265
BHPian

[quote=n_aditya;409503]audio guru's, i need some suggestions

Have planned on picking up a Sony Home Theater system - DAV-DZ120K.

What are my alternatives (like buying each unit separately) without compromising on the sound quality and reliability as well as after sales support and service? Please keep in mind my budget cannot go beyond INR 16k.

Dear n_aditya,

Dunno about Sony HTS you're mentioning but IMO don't think you'll get separates/ individual components in INR 16K budget.You're better advised to have a mid-fi system (like Sony as you mentioned ) in this range.

If you like the sound of Sony than you should go ahead esp. at the price mentioned.
Old 11th April 2007, 14:39   #266
BHPian

Onkyo HTS 680

I am getting a good deal on Onkyo HTS680 6.1 channel which a friend had imported from the US an year back. How is the set-up as compared to Onkyo HTS 590 which is 5.1 channel. The price of both are same rather 6.1 is lesser (6.1 being 1 yr old). Do you think I should go for it?

~maniac
Old 11th April 2007, 14:46   #267
BHPian

@Ash: I was away for a while (still am, hence the signature). Navin has answered or given you enough pointers I guess. Did you settle into one finally? Saw you talk about integrated amp as well. Change of plans?

If you are getting an "awesome" deal on SR7xxx series, then go for it. And dont worry about the HDMI part. For me it is it just groups all to one wire, and the video quality was defenitely *not* good when I checked. I will not loose sleep over it.

The T series in NAD has a/v receivers. I havent heard one (a friend bought 453 for 50k recently though), but the one I have heard -- 521BEE with 340PE was outstanding. In quality and value for money. Azur 540 at 24k is great value as well.

I dont know anything about Delhi market now, Ishan would probably know.

Last edited by determinus : 11th April 2007 at 15:00.
Old 11th April 2007, 15:43   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
audio guru's, i need some suggestions

Have planned on picking up a Sony Home Theater system - DAV-DZ120K.

linky : Sony India - like no other

I loved the sound quality and the price is just within my reach. Have been postponing this purchase for over 2 years now.

Can the audi guru's throw more light on this product (pro's and con's with regard to sound, service backup, reliability, etc). I mostly will be using this for action movies and music dvd's.

What are my alternatives (like buying each unit separately) without compromising on the sound quality and reliability as well as after sales support and service? Please keep in mind my budget cannot go beyond INR 16k.

thnx.
aditya,
would seriously advice you to get a 5.1 receiver & get matching speakers. If you are hell bent on a system like this (due to budgetary constraints), much cheaper (might i add chinese) options are available for the same performance & quality until you save up for the real one.
cheers
Old 11th April 2007, 16:14   #269
BHPian

DOES ANYBODY HERE USING JBL 7.1 WONDERPLUS(ECONOMY PACKAGE)
am looking for reviews
Old 11th April 2007, 16:34   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
heres mine:

onkyo amp(integra)
front speakers bose 701 lifestyle(2)
jamo center speakers
jamo surround speakers
and sony dvd,onkyo tape
a old panasonic vcr
and a sony 29 inch vega flat screen.

hi Pawan to be frank you r config may be of high value but is not the best coz you have mixed matched the speaker , using bose for front's jamo's for the center they have diffrent tonality, 701 speakers frm bose have their own proccessor using high end processor such as integra is waste for speakers like bose.and having such power rig you should go for Projector 29 inch is too small.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks