Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2013, 14:03   #1771
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Hi Sandeepmohan,

Meanwhile, I got an offer from Onkyo dealer for S-4505 @ 35K flat. So, the dilemma started again.
Onkyo S3500 - 23K
Denon 1312XP - 29k
S4505 - 35K

Any suggestions? My requirement is 50% (D2h channels including HD movies), 40% (Movies from 3D BP) and 10% Music.
Old 17th February 2013, 22:48   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi Sandeepmohan,

Meanwhile, I got an offer from Onkyo dealer for S-4505 @ 35K flat. So, the dilemma started again.
Onkyo S3500 - 23K
Denon 1312XP - 29k
S4505 - 35K

Any suggestions? My requirement is 50% (D2h channels including HD movies), 40% (Movies from 3D BP) and 10% Music.
Denon definitely is better of the lot i believe. I myself ended up purchasing a Denon 1612 with two polk floor standing (Tsi 400) speakers for about 50K. This doesnt have a subwoofer, planning to add that later on.
Ideally if you really would want a 5.1, I would suggest 1312 paired with polk satellite speakers, they sound much better than what is being given out as a package in 1312XP.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:03   #1773
BHPian

Thanks guys for all your inputs. At last, I came to a conclusion by myself to stick with Pioneer VSX-522K with JBL SCS200.5BK at 32K. I did an installation by own and i'm really enjoying it every moment. It's really worth for the money I invested.
Old 18th February 2013, 13:11   #1774
BHPian

Gurus,

I have a 6 year old Philips Home theater system. Is there an option of upgrading only the player with a recent model (with USB/Blue ray etc.) and use that with the existing speakers?
Old 19th February 2013, 00:55   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Gurus,

I have a 6 year old Philips Home theater system. Is there an option of upgrading only the player with a recent model (with USB/Blue ray etc.) and use that with the existing speakers?
This reuse is possible but if it is a HTIB, not sure if you will get just the player alone.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:21   #1776
BHPian

It's a hassle.

Most of Philips system uses proprietary connections for it's speakers. You may want to change the speaker connections to regular RCA interface. After that you can get any DVD player having 5.1 output connections and plug these speakers.
Old 19th February 2013, 17:12   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for all your inputs. At last, I came to a conclusion by myself to stick with Pioneer VSX-522K with JBL SCS200.5BK at 32K. I did an installation by own and i'm really enjoying it every moment. It's really worth for the money I invested.
That's great!! Can you post a breakup price and if possible a DIY which will help many.
Old 19th February 2013, 18:13   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post

This reuse is possible but if it is a HTIB, not sure if you will get just the player alone.
Can you please let me know what HTIB mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
It's a hassle.

Most of Philips system uses proprietary connections for it's speakers. You may want to change the speaker connections to regular RCA interface. After that you can get any DVD player having 5.1 output connections and plug these speakers.
Yeah, it's not RCA. It's like LAN cable ends. Is this interface change simple one to carry out?
Old 19th February 2013, 19:55   #1779
Senior - BHPian

A technical question please.
I have an Onkyo HT R340 AV Receiver with it's own 5.1 setup. I also have a separate 5.1 speakers set and I want to run all the ten speakers and two woofers in parallel.
Can I just connect all the leads together or will it fry the receivers circuits? What alternatives do I have to achieve my target configuration.
The idea is not to increase output but to arrange all the speakers spatially for a better surround....
Old 19th February 2013, 22:22   #1780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
A technical question please.
I have an Onkyo HT R340 AV Receiver with it's own 5.1 setup. I also have a separate 5.1 speakers set and I want to run all the ten speakers and two woofers in parallel.
Can I just connect all the leads together or will it fry the receivers circuits? What alternatives do I have to achieve my target configuration.
The idea is not to increase output but to arrange all the speakers spatially for a better surround....
Hi Roy
Don't connect the speakers together to the Avr as it will fry the receiver as connecting two speakers in parallel in the same output reduces the resistance and will overdraw current from each output. What you can do is connect the the additional pre-amp out to the input of the 5.1 speaker set if it has a built in sound processor and amplifier (eg comp speakers). If it does not have a built in amp, you will need to get another 5.1 amp which can be connected to the main amp through an optical or coaxial out which can give you a 5.1 signal.
It is easy to connect two subs as Onkyos normally have one sub out and one pre out on which you can connect the second sub (this is how I have connected my system too with an Onkyo 609.)
Better spatial sound can generally be improved by increasing the distance between the front left and right speakers. In my onkyo 609 there is also a setting in which you define the angle between the front speakers as narrow and wide which changes the virtual sound effect for better Spatial perception.
Old 19th February 2013, 23:21   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
That's great!! Can you post a breakup price and if possible a DIY which will help many.
Hi dre@ms,

I bought this setup from one of the shop in Ritchie St ( of course without bill)

Pioneer VSX-522K - 17K
JBL SCS 200.5 BK - 16K

Including Belkin HDMI and Spdif cable.

I did go through various options like Onkyo 4505,Denon 1312XP and Yamaha 298. But this deal seems to be fine with me as I can replace the AVR anyway with better buyback by the same dealer . He become a good friend of mine (after having a detailed discussions and debates).

I did the installation by own and it was very easy to do (though no OSD via HDMI).
Old 20th February 2013, 06:00   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I bought this setup from one of the shop in Ritchie St ( of course without bill)

Pioneer VSX-522K - 17K
JBL SCS 200.5 BK - 16K

Including Belkin HDMI and Spdif cable.
This sounds like a good deal, Jebs !
Is the dealer "Tekniks" ? If not, can u please share the details, I go occasionally to Ritchie St, bargain-hunting.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:23   #1783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please let me know what HTIB mean?

Yeah, it's not RCA. It's like LAN cable ends. Is this interface change simple one to carry out?
HTIB is Home Theater in a Box. Which is probably what you have. A player and a 5.1 speaker set.

I was also in the same situation. I had a 4 year old Philips Home Theater with front tower speakers and I wanted to upgrade the player. Previously I had a Samsung Home Theater and after a year of use, the player stopped working and could not be repaired.

Both cases I tried to get another player and reuse the existing speakers. But was never able to find just a player that had the same speaker interface as the speakers I had. The other option was to convert the interface and buy just a receiver. But here also it was too much hassle like doing conversion, Ensuring the speakers worked with the particular amp and whether the quality of sound would be good in such a situation

So I ended up buying an Onkyo 3500 Home Theater System (Receiver + 5.1 speaker set) for Rs 28,000 (June 2012). I got a Philips Blue Ray player free and they took my Philips Home theater for Rs 6000 (Original cost-Rs 13500)
Old 20th February 2013, 07:55   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is a 15 minutes job for local electrical shop. Just chop-off 5 CM of wire and preserver the connector in case you need it later. This is for the end that connected to HTIB.

After that, leave the wire as it is or connect banana plugs. 5 Banana plugs should cost 50 - 60 Rs.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:47   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
HTIB is Home Theater in a Box. Which is probably what you have. A player and a 5.1 speaker set.

I was also in the same situation. I had a 4 year old Philips Home Theater with front tower speakers and I wanted to upgrade the player. Previously I had a Samsung Home Theater and after a year of use, the player stopped working and could not be repaired.

Both cases I tried to get another player and reuse the existing speakers. But was never able to find just a player that had the same speaker interface as the speakers I had. The other option was to convert the interface and buy just a receiver. But here also it was too much hassle like doing conversion, Ensuring the speakers worked with the particular amp and whether the quality of sound would be good in such a situation

So I ended up buying an Onkyo 3500 Home Theater System (Receiver + 5.1 speaker set) for Rs 28,000 (June 2012). I got a Philips Blue Ray player free and they took my Philips Home theater for Rs 6000 (Original cost-Rs 13500)
Oh Okay.. Thanks a lot for the Info. I am not sure i wanna go for an upgrade because, this HTIB is very rarely used nowadays. Let me think thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes, it is a 15 minutes job for local electrical shop. Just chop-off 5 CM of wire and preserver the connector in case you need it later. This is for the end that connected to HTIB.

After that, leave the wire as it is or connect banana plugs. 5 Banana plugs should cost 50 - 60 Rs.
Thanks . This looks like a promising option. Let me check with my electrician on this.

Most Viewed