Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 09:14   #766
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guru's, I am currently looking for a new home theater system. I have narrowed down to 3 systems: Sony: DAV DZ290K, DAV DZ390K and DAV DZ570. My budget is below 20k, and these 3 are within that. Did a product comparison on the Sony site and got even more confused with the specs. My requirements are:
1) Good audio punch for movies as well as for music.
2) Possibility of connecting an external HDD
3) HDMI
4) More importantly value for money!

If there are any other products which can be better in this category, would like to know it. Lastly, here is the link showing comparison of the 3 products:

Product Comparison : DVD Home Theatre System : Sony India
Old 12th August 2009, 10:33   #767
BHPian

We just bought DZ390K at Sony Showroom for 18,760 (dad knew owner of showroom so extra discount). Actual price is Rs.19,990. In Reliance Digital and other electronic stores, it was Rs.19,500.

Total output of this system is 1000 W RMS (not PMPO). It has quite a lot of features, including USB connectivity (you can connect pen drive, HDD etc) 1080P HDMI out. It also comes with free wall-mounting clamps so that the speakers can be mounted on wall and can swivel in the direction we want. There is a small devise which will calibrate the system for optimum output based on the room it is installed. The wall clamps and calibration will be done by Sony people free of cost. The punch is good too. I am satisfied with the system.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:38   #768
nitin.dangayach

HTiB suggestion: Budget ~25K.

Well I was thinking of getting a Home Theater System but after doing a lot of research, I am still not convinced about my decision. So starting this thread to share your inputs.

My Usage:
========
I will be using this to primarily connect to my PC (in my siggy) since I do not have and do not wish to add any external DVD player.

My listening preference is 40% music, 40% movies and 20% gaming. I would need a good sub with as perfect as possible reproduction of the lows IN MY BUDGET. I won't listen to it loud but I would want the sub to produce the lows in a refined manner. No jarry thudds and muffled up booms.
Also more of a Jazz lover, i want the strings to sound as perfect as possible (again in my budget :P) so need the satellites to sound warm and mellow, without any artificial tones.

I know its a little tough since the HTs are not really targeted towards music loving audience and especially not in the budget I've mentioned but still I do not want to go for the 2.1 setup since I want to satisfy the other surround needs as well.

Space/budget is a constraint to can't go for bookshelves or towers. :(

Options I have:
===========
* Logitech Z5500D: Good thing for the price but here I am looking a little more than the muddy bass. But for close to 18K this will be my last option. I know people here will suggest me that but somehow this thing doesn't appeal me.

* Onkyo HTS 3100/3200: Very decent systems. The 3100 is available for 20K and the 3200 for 24K (with 3 HMDI Pass-through inputs). They sound fabulous and look like a killer deal. The bass is just perfect but the highs get a little jarry on higher volumes. Still 3200 is the one I like the most.

* Yamaha YTS 195: 24K for the complete setup. Comes with an active sub. Very decent AV receiver but pathetic satellites. Sound wise its comparable to the Onkyo. Would have loved to get this one but the satellites are seriously the downers.

* Onkyo 370 Receiver + Pure Acoustics nano system: Will shoot the budget to close to 30K but this combo sounds better than all. The only gripe is that the sub that comes with the nano package is a puny sub. I wanted to get something more powerful.

* You guys suggest.

My questions:
==========
* About the HDMI Passthrough: Do I actually need it ? Well my TV already has 3 HDMI inputs. And since the sound has to be routed through the Optical link, whats the use of the HDMI then ? I know we can't talk about the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD, in this budget. So shouldn't I just stick to the 3100 and be done with it in less than 20K ?

* What combos (Receiver + speakers) do you guys suggest ? Any experiences ?

PS: I can increase the budget to max 30K but only if there is a marginal gain in the sound fidelity. And again this thing will stay with me for more than 3-4 years, at least, and do not want to keep upgrading the stuff. Whatever I'll buy now will stay as it is. So please suggest accordingly.

Old 12th October 2009, 19:07   #769
Senior - BHPian

There's a Denon DHT390 or something for 29k. Much better than all the options you've listed there.
Old 13th October 2009, 20:20   #770
Senior - BHPian

True. The Denon sounds much better than any of these. Don't even go close to the Logitech, btw. It sounds absolutely awful.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:00   #771
BANNED

Hi,
I have a deal of Philips HTS3373 for 19K is it good? I asked for 3569 but it wasn't there in stock.
Is there anything better in the price band of 18-23k?

Last edited by zaks : 16th October 2009 at 23:08.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:40   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
True. The Denon sounds much better than any of these. Don't even go close to the Logitech, btw. It sounds absolutely awful.
DHT390 is an excellent system. It's subwoofer is pretty big though, compared to other speakers. I liked it a lot but holding on due to WAF issues.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:11   #773
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,
I have a deal of Philips HTS3373 for 19K is it good? I asked for 3569 but it wasn't there in stock.
Is there anything better in the price band of 18-23k?
Looks like most here were on vacation when I posted. So are there any better options to above?
Old 21st October 2009, 14:31   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Looks like most here were on vacation when I posted. So are there any better options to above?
cant find any reviews of this online - maybe you should build your own and start with a nice amp and 2.0 setup. A good onkyo amp and jamo fronts maybe
Old 21st October 2009, 14:45   #775
nitin.dangayach

I just forgot to add, I wanted small satellites since I do not have space for the floor standers. I know its a little tough call since the satellites are mostly crap. Still I would like to have some suggestions on getting a decent speaker system which is small is size and still sound decent.

Please do remember, I have an upper cap of 25K. But I can expand the budget till 30K (absolute threshold point, if the budget crosses this mark, I wont be able to procure one).

Also I am more inclined towards getting the Yamaha Receiver since that one sounds/looks/costs better. Suggestions ?

And I saw somewhere on the net, receivers with USB input. That will be a topping on the cake since I'll prefer using that instead of the front Aux -In.

Any inputs?

Last edited by nitin.dangayach : 21st October 2009 at 14:48.

Old 21st October 2009, 19:39   #776
Team-BHP Support

You can also look at Harmon Kardon/JBL combine.

The AV receiver should cost around 25-30K. Speaker you can buy on a need basis. Satellite speakers are available.
Old 21st October 2009, 20:13   #777
nitin.dangayach

^^^
Man, sorry to sound like a chump but my total budget is 25K

Old 21st October 2009, 21:20   #778
Team-BHP Support

No issue at all!

I started with Sony which I purchased for 21K 10 years back. Then over the years I bought a Harmon Kardon (basic model AVR130) and played with sony speakers. I retired the Sony Amp.

After another year I bought the JBL Northridge pair and made the Sony as rear. Another year passed and I purchased Bose 210 and made that as rear, and passed on the whole Sony system to my dad. Lastly I got the Bose VCS10 and Sonodyne sub-woofer. I built my system in about 4 years.

Yes I know it took time, but I guess better late than never !

Only advice is that get a good voltage stabilizer for whatever system you buy. The issue is that system may be fine, but due to voltage fluctuation, your supply circuit of product may go-off. Although companies claim, that the product will have a good regulation, but its always good to invest 3-4K on a good stabilizer.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:31   #779
Senior - BHPian

i have a deal coming though for the harman kardon avr 1550 for 12k. i am not able to find any reviews of the avr online. help?
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:26   #780
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to ask, when was this model released? 12K seems too low a price if you are buying a fresh piece in India.

I downloaded the user manual. If its a recent release, I do not see any HDMI interfaces on the device. If you want up/down scaling to be performed by the device for the video, it wont be able to. Does it support 720P/1080P related video formats. I think not. If you plan to use it only for audio related purposes then fine. Its very good bargain. Audio specs seem similar to what I got five years back. Basic amplifier functionality, which is very good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks