Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2014, 09:46   #2266
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I am also looking to get a soundbar soon as i have not made any provision for concealed wires for a 5.1 system plus my usage will be very less.

I checked online and found the following.

Sony HT-GT1 for around 18k with a separate woofer and BT.
Yamaha YAS-103 for around 25k with a built-in woofer and BT.
Bose Cinemate 15 for around 50k with a separate wireless woofer.
I am in the same boat as you and been like this for quite some time now. Was just seeing the above 3 products in your list. How about Yamaha YSP-1400? I found this site helpful for basic reviews of Soundbars. http://sound-bar-review.toptenreview...sp-review.html
Old 13th December 2014, 19:14   #2267
BHPian

My set up consists of the following :
Denon AVR 2110 - 7.1 channel two zone 95 watts per channel
Fronts Polk Audio TSI 500
Centre channel Polk Audio CS10
Subwoofer Polk Audio DSW pro 660 Wi
Surrounds old speakers from my Sony music system, soon to be replaced by Polk Audio bipole dipole speakers
TV - Samsung 32"led
Sony blueray player
All are connected to a wifi router
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-imag1124.jpg  

Old 15th December 2014, 01:00   #2268
BHPian

Of late I have been busy building a sterophile set up.I have been trying to get into that audiophile range without actually spending audiophile buck.
I am happy with what these vintage Boys can do to the new kids on the block.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-rack-tbhp.jpg  

Old 15th December 2014, 20:41   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am in the same boat as you and been like this for quite some time now. Was just seeing the above 3 products in your list. How about Yamaha YSP-1400? I found this site helpful for basic reviews of Soundbars. http://sound-bar-review.toptenreview...sp-review.html
I checked the YSP 1400, however i am wary of the bass effect without a dedicated sub. At around 37k, its not cheap and i would expect it to have sub to enhance the effect.
Old 23rd December 2014, 17:24   #2270
BHPian

Need help people!

I currently have a Sony Hi Fi system, with 5.1 + Subwoofer, but its been almost 10 years since I have had this and am looking for a change. Can you please suggest some good set up?

Two things in mind currently,
1. Buy a good amplifier and use the existing speakers and then upgrade the speakers slowly
Budget would be around 25-35k
2. Buy a new home theatre system (I'm keen on picking up ones with amplifier than the standard systems offered by Sony/Philips etc)

Already have a LG 42" LED Tv , connected with a blu rayplayer streaming movies from my hard disk. My hall dimensions are 11*15.
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:51   #2271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Quote:
I checked the YSP 1400, however i am wary of the bass effect without a dedicated sub. At around 37k, its not cheap and i would expect it to have sub to enhance the effect.
Having used sound bar extensively, these are my view:
1. They are a compromise and do not expect real 5.1 effect in it
2. Your rooms shape has a good impact of the surround effect. If its odd shaped or L shaped, forget any surround effect
3. The subs that come with the sound bars are often boomy until and unless you really goto the premium segment

The 1400 is a decent soundbar, but having used multiple ones significantly and also having 2 at home, I prefer an Receiver with 2 Speakers any day than these fancy soundbars. I infact use my stereo receiver and Axiom speakers more than the soundbar as the clarity and accuracy of the sound is way better than the soundbar.

If you do not have budget, get an used 2 channel amp and 2 bookshelf speakers. Get your Blu ray, set top box etc connected to it, trust me you will be way better off than these bars. Plus they also sound magical with music!

One soundbar that intrigued me but did not get a chance to test is Philips HTL 9100. It has detachable surround battery powered speaker which you can place behind when you are watching a 5.1 sound content. This sounds logical. May be this can be checked:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/phil...dbar/767582511

http://www.whathifi.com/philips/htl9100/review

Last edited by madbullram : 23rd December 2014 at 20:03. Reason: added more content
Old 23rd December 2014, 21:24   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Having used sound bar extensively, these are my view:
1. They are a compromise and do not expect real 5.1 effect in it
2. Your rooms shape has a good impact of the surround effect. If its odd shaped or L shaped, forget any surround effect
3. The subs that come with the sound bars are often boomy until and unless you really goto the premium segment

The 1400 is a decent soundbar, but having used multiple ones significantly and also having 2 at home, I prefer an Receiver with 2 Speakers any day than these fancy soundbars. I infact use my stereo receiver and Axiom speakers more than the soundbar as the clarity and accuracy of the sound is way better than the soundbar.

If you do not have budget, get an used 2 channel amp and 2 bookshelf speakers. Get your Blu ray, set top box etc connected to it, trust me you will be way better off than these bars. Plus they also sound magical with music!

One soundbar that intrigued me but did not get a chance to test is Philips HTL 9100. It has detachable surround battery powered speaker which you can place behind when you are watching a 5.1 sound content. This sounds logical. May be this can be checked:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/phil...dbar/767582511

http://www.whathifi.com/philips/htl9100/review
Thanks Ram. The review sounded nice but i would rather put in 50k on a Bose than 45k on a Philips. No offence to Philips, they have had great quality products and i am a fan but when it comes to sound, i dont think they are up there.

Regarding Used Amps, i am not sure where to even start looking. I dont mind one if i get some good ones in good shape.

Another thing i wanted to know was, is there any way wired speakers can be made wireless. Is there any device available to avoid the wire clutter since i dont have provision to have a 5.1 HT System.

Cheers,
Raj

Last edited by Desmosedici : 23rd December 2014 at 21:31.
Old 23rd December 2014, 21:26   #2273
BHPian

If you have 50k please don't waste on BOSE. You can get a good 2 channel new amp and bookshelf for that budget. You can check sites like hifivision for combinations.

here is a sample and you can get better price with the showrooms or ebay:
http://www.hifimart.com/speakers/boo...lf-loudspeaker

http://www.hifimart.com/electronics/...amplifier.html

Plus you can add a Sub later, upgrade speakers so the promise is high.

Last edited by madbullram : 23rd December 2014 at 21:44. Reason: more info
Old 23rd December 2014, 21:55   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have 50k please don't waste on BOSE. You can get a good 2 channel new amp and bookshelf for that budget. You can check sites like hifivision for combinations.

here is a sample and you can get better price with the showrooms or ebay:
http://www.hifimart.com/speakers/boo...lf-loudspeaker

http://www.hifimart.com/electronics/...amplifier.html

Plus you can add a Sub later, upgrade speakers so the promise is high.
Ok. I am not an expert so wont comment on the technicalities but why do most experts suggest not to go for Bose (this topic might have been beaten to death i know for sure).

So since you mentioned used amps, i am currently surfing quikr and the likes and can see a few decent HT Packages like Denon / Yamaha being offered. My main issue would be to use it as a 2.1 till the time i make a 5.1 provision in my room. Thanks for this suggestion BTW which i had not even thought about.
Old 23rd December 2014, 22:04   #2275
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. I am not an expert so wont comment on the technicalities but why do most experts suggest not to go for Bose (this topic might have been beaten to death i know for sure).

So since you mentioned used amps, i am currently surfing quikr and the likes and can see a few decent HT Packages like Denon / Yamaha being offered. My main issue would be to use it as a 2.1 till the time i make a 5.1 provision in my room. Thanks for this suggestion BTW which i had not even thought about.
1. The reason I did not suggest BOSE is the SQ you get in the set-up I suggested will be much better. So its basically the value you want to derive out of the investment. I suggested BOSE to a dear friend of mine because he is brand conscious and a casual listener and wont bother about SQ. Convenience and brand was more important that the value

2. If you have a plan to move to 5.1, instead of a 2 channel amp get a 5.1 amp from Yamaha and 2 speakers and slowly add Sub and the other speakers. That would be the best way to go.

Amp: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/yama...dorCode=S04604
Old 24th December 2014, 00:43   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Point taken sir. Already started searching for some good 5.1s. Maybe i can just use it with 2 speakers for now and later create the wiring provision for the other speakers.
Old 24th December 2014, 09:54   #2277
BHPian

Quote:
Point taken sir. Already started searching for some good 5.1s. Maybe i can just use it with 2 speakers for now and later create the wiring provision for the other speakers.
perfect way to go. I would suggest don't spend too much on the AVR go for something basic. Spend on the speaker more. AVR tech keeps changing and you will upgrade as new tech comes in but speakers last a long time, so invest in good speaker. Already we have AVR with ATMOS and I liked what I heard with ATMOS at a demo, so in next 3-4 years they will also start becoming common, so invest in a basic Yamaha AVR ( i like Yamaha or Pioneer when it comes to basic model) and good speaker, then add a good sub which is tight, then even look at used route for surround speakers. Some people like all to be of same brand but I have my mix and match with MA Gold, Velodyne, Dynaudio for center and Axiom for surround and I love it. Its a journey, all the best
Old 24th December 2014, 15:02   #2278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
perfect way to go. I would suggest don't spend too much on the AVR go for something basic. Spend on the speaker more. AVR tech keeps changing and you will upgrade as new tech comes in but speakers last a long time, so invest in good speaker. Already we have AVR with ATMOS and I liked what I heard with ATMOS at a demo, so in next 3-4 years they will also start becoming common, so invest in a basic Yamaha AVR ( i like Yamaha or Pioneer when it comes to basic model) and good speaker, then add a good sub which is tight, then even look at used route for surround speakers. Some people like all to be of same brand but I have my mix and match with MA Gold, Velodyne, Dynaudio for center and Axiom for surround and I love it. Its a journey, all the best
I am kind of looking at Denon / Yamaha HTIB setups but still getting that tingling feeling for the soundbar at some corner . I'll try to see what fits well. The Philips soundbar you mentioned has got me thinking inspite of being high priced.
Old 24th December 2014, 19:53   #2279
Senior - BHPian

BTW - Just an update. i am getting that Philips Soundbat with detachable speakers for 37k through a friend whose relative is in Philips. Do you think it is a good buy at that price.
Old 24th December 2014, 20:02   #2280
Max
BHPian

I have denon 5.1 home theater system, very happy with the sound quality and performance. It cost me about 30k 2 years back, don't remember the model number but it was the cheapest.

Most Viewed