Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2015, 18:01   #2326
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
If you are looking for an integrated HT system, check these out. They play bluerays.
From Amazon

There are 2 JBL HTs listed here. BD100 has bluetooth while BD300 has wifi too. Both supports DLNA.
I find bluetooth and network connectivity a lot useful. You can comfortably stream music from any part of the room. from your phone or laptop that has these features.
Hi,

As I said, compactness is a major criteria for us. We do not want a 5.1 system - that is sure. Best would be a mini HIFI like the Yamaha MCR-042 or Harman Kardon MAS 100/110. Any other similar option? I am also open to considering 2.1 speaker system combined with a Receiver/CD Player.

I have not yet found where they are available in Mumbai. I called up the Yamaha AV square, but MCR-042 was not available for demo. May be it won't be available for demo anywhere as it is not likely to have a great demand
Old 10th April 2015, 20:09   #2327
BHPian

I am planning to buy the Wharfedale Diamond 220 package (220 bookshelves, 220C and 10.DFS as surround) with the SW150 sub.

The cost of the SW150 sub is 28k, I am thinking if I go for a cheaper sub like the polk sub (PSW 110) which is costing 16k, will be a significant difference in the sound quality ?

Both subs are 10 inch, with polk being 200W, 60-160Hz, whereas the wharfedale is 150w, 35-110Hz.

Is the 12k worth the SW150 Sub ?
Old 10th April 2015, 21:20   #2328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post

The cost of the SW150 sub is 28k, I am thinking if I go for a cheaper sub like the polk sub (PSW 110) which is costing 16k, will be a significant difference in the sound quality ?
Take some HQ music with you, audition and compare! Play it at the volume you like, and at volumes several notches below and above. Decide based on whether you like what you're hearing.
Old 10th April 2015, 23:03   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
I am planning to buy the Wharfedale Diamond 220 package (220 bookshelves, 220C and 10.DFS as surround) with the SW150 sub.

Both subs are 10 inch, with polk being 200W, 60-160Hz, whereas the wharfedale is 150w, 35-110Hz.

Is the 12k worth the SW150 Sub ?
I recently got SW150. Its a very good sub with ample low end without getting boomy. Its definitely worth every penny. Haven't heard polk audio one but a lower limit of 60Hz seems too limiting. Do take HQ music as well as movie DVDs or files with AC3 audio so that you can test the performance in both music/movies.

PS: I got the SW150 for a very good deal from Amazon UK for £129. It was carried to india by my bro.
Old 1st May 2015, 23:25   #2330
BHPian

Hi all,
My Onkyo 3400 stopped working. For a couple of days, it refused to switch on. After 2-3 try, it started working. One fine day it stopped working. Display in receiver is working. and my setup is from DTH>Onkyo>TV. That as well is fine. OSD works. Problem is no sound. I bought it from Dubai so no warranty available. Any suggestions for a trouble shoot. I tried factory reset but no change. If anyone knows good shop in Bangalore where i can get it ready other than onkyo authorized centers.
Old 5th May 2015, 15:16   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Hi all,
My Onkyo 3400 stopped working. For a couple of days, it refused to switch on. After 2-3 try, it started working. One fine day it stopped working. Display in receiver is working. and my setup is from DTH>Onkyo>TV. That as well is fine. OSD works. Problem is no sound. I bought it from Dubai so no warranty available. Any suggestions for a trouble shoot. I tried factory reset but no change. If anyone knows good shop in Bangalore where i can get it ready other than onkyo authorized centers.
Even if you don't have warranty you should be able to service it with an authorized service center. I'd prefer the authorized ones rather than the one's in SP road. Now a days finding a trustworthy mechanic is very difficult but you can check with any local mechanic if the power supply is OK.
Old 5th May 2015, 16:34   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
Even if you don't have warranty you should be able to service it with an authorized service center. I'd prefer the authorized ones rather than the one's in SP road. Now a days finding a trustworthy mechanic is very difficult but you can check with any local mechanic if the power supply is OK.
Thanks amsumaan. I will check with the authorized one first. Found one near to Domlur. If the price is too high, I will check with some local mechanic. I guess the power supply is fine as it is able to give on screen display and display on receiver. I was suggested from another Onkyo owner that the HDMI board might be the problem. My guess is that something with capacitor inside receiver.
Old 10th May 2015, 18:12   #2333
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Thanks amsumaan. I will check with the authorized one first. Found one near to Domlur. If the price is too high, I will check with some local mechanic. I guess the power supply is fine as it is able to give on screen display and display on receiver. I was suggested from another Onkyo owner that the HDMI board might be the problem. My guess is that something with capacitor inside receiver.
There has been issues with Onkyo throughout the world, the problem is that some of the other chips are all on the same board as the HDMI ports, so the audio is dependent on that HDMI daughterboard working as it should.

Not all Onkyo models are affected by the issue and it has been to a large extent repaired with the newer models so its mainly models from around 2011 to 2013 that were affected and it wasnt all of them, ie its only been specific models affected and Onkyo had a list of affected models on their website (not sure if it is still there since it isnt a current issue anymore)

If the issue occurs outside the warranty period then you are in for an expensive replacement because those boards seem to cost a lot if they are not exchanged under warranty .... and unfortunately the symptoms you describe indeed sound like the problems that the Onkyo owners (all over the world) who experienced this issue described when it happened

Old 28th May 2015, 10:58   #2334
Senior - BHPian

I have more or less narrowed down by AVR choice to Yamaha HTR-3067 / RX-V377. Does anyone have a good 5.1 speaker set in mind to go with these ? I have a budget of roughly 30k for the speakers - i have BA XS / BA S / Wharfedale MS-100 / MS-65 in mind as of now.
Old 5th June 2015, 11:44   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Friends, need your advise for buying myself a HT for my living room which is 17 x 12 and I have a 48" Samsung LED in place there. Budget is around 50k (+/- 10k tops). What are my options? HTIB or mix/match with various brand to build up HT slowly? My priority is good clean crisp sound, it will be used for watching movies, music videos and radio (if thats possible). Also, please suggest places in Delhi NCR where I can buy from, obviously after having some demos.
Old 5th June 2015, 12:09   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Friends, need your advise for buying myself a HT for my living room which is 17 x 12

Have a look at Bose Cinemate Series II. Simple to use and terrific sound effect. Especially great for living rooms as don't need too much wiring and can be operated by kids or elders. I have it in my living room. I have a more extensive 7.1 setup in my bedroom with too many bells and whistles which is rivaled by the Bose any day!
Old 11th June 2015, 11:57   #2337
BHPian

Want to build a dedicated home theater, suggestions please.

I am planning to build a decent enough home theater in a dedicated 14X10 room with a budget of 3-4L.

Considering the fact that many moves are releasing with Dolby ATMOS, I would prefer an ATMOS capable receiver.

http://www.dolby.com/in/en/experienc...os/movies.html

AVR in mind is Yamaha RX-A2040. Anyone here using this receiver? If yes, what speakers you have paired with 2040?

Had an audition at ProFX with ATMOS enabled. I could not appreciate the ATMOS much, may be because I still have to learn how to differentiate the 3D sound.

Overall Yamaha RX-A2040 with Polk RTi A9 speakers / PRO 660 Sub sounded wonderful. This can shake your house for sure.

Later I had an audition of BOSE Cinemate 130. BOSE sounded much more crispier and had an unbelievable surround sound effect. It is expensive at 1.5L, but still I would say it is a true wonder.

Decided to stick to proper surround sound, preferably ATMOS enabled.
Old 11th June 2015, 12:05   #2338
Team-BHP Support

Re: Want to build a dedicated home theater, suggestions please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
AVR in mind is Yamaha RX-A2040. Anyone here using this receiver? If yes, what speakers you have paired with 2040?

Overall Yamaha RX-A2040 with Polk RTi A9 speakers / PRO 660 Sub sounded wonderful. This can shake your house for sure.

Later I had an audition of BOSE Cinemate 130. BOSE sounded much more crispier and had an unbelievable surround sound effect. It is expensive at 1.5L, but still I would say it is a true wonder.
Did you try other brands like Paradigm, Focal, B&W, KEF, Monitor Audio etc with the Yamaha?

I have found long term listening on Bose systems to be fatiguing. Also localising the bass is a huge factor. I am able to localise it pretty easily on most Bose systems I have heard.
Old 11th June 2015, 13:51   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Did you try other brands like Paradigm, Focal, B&W, KEF, Monitor Audio etc with the Yamaha?

I have found long term listening on Bose systems to be fatiguing. Also localising the bass is a huge factor. I am able to localise it pretty easily on most Bose systems I have heard.
ProFX had only KEF and Polk attached to their demo system. I plan to visit again this weekend for more auditions, this time with my Blue-rays.

I have a Panasonic 5.1 1000W RMS system at home that I brought from US 7 years back. It is doing it's duty well, but has no optical / HDMI inputs. I am doing a relative comparison to what I have already heard from this system.

I am still not very convinced about ProFX pricing, but then are there any better alternatives?

Onkio is probably value for money, but after hearing a lot about their HDMI issues and pathetic service, I am bit apprehensive.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:24   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I am still not very convinced about ProFX pricing, but then are there any better alternatives?
Yes; their pricing is on the higher side with next to no discounts. As a one stop shop, there is nothing to beat Pro Fx. Multiple brands under one roof and decent demonstration rooms. It was only recently they renovated the MG Road place.

You could try Cinebels on Millers Road. Jamo, Marantz and Klipsch chaps

Do try ARN systems on Coles Road and Audio Planet in Koramangala.

Listen to some top quality bookshelf speakers too. Don't let their size fool you.

I would consider Bose only if you have space constraint. At close to 150k, I'd take the separates route.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th June 2015 at 14:27.

Most Viewed