Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 13:54   #2401
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Sorry if this is going OT.

I have a panasonic Home theatre system PM08 which is almost 10 years old but plagued by head unit lens issue and absence of MP3 playing format. I was thinking of exchanging it to a home theatre set up which was sufficient for a 11X12 room size. What should be my options? Running cables all cross the room for satellite speakers is not possible at this stage as it will look exposed. I dont have a false ceiling/POP set up. So queries are:
1) What home theatre is sufficient so that neighbours don't come running to my place asking to tone down?
2) How much RMS is sufficient?
3) Will I get anything for old exchange? Should I wait till Ganpati for some schemes to be announced by the likes of Vijay Sales/Kohinoor etc?
4) What budget should I be looking for? I think I should limit it to 25K max

I intend to connect the HD TV output to the HT system which should also play MP3 and all known music formats through CD's and USB/SD slots. Is the reqmt too much for asking??
Old 19th June 2015, 10:35   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What home theatre is sufficient so that neighbours don't come running to my place asking to tone down?
Just keep the volume at sane levels.

Quote:
How much RMS is sufficient?
40-50 minimum.

Quote:
Will I get anything for old exchange?
You'll get peanuts. You much rather keep the Panasonic or sell it on places like Olx, etc.

Quote:
Should I wait till Ganpati for some schemes to be announced by the likes of Vijay Sales/Kohinoor etc?
You may save a couple of thousand, max.

Quote:
What budget should I be looking for?
25K will get you a decent home theatre in a box which will be easy to operate. You'll have to double, triple the budget if you are looking for a jump in performance.

With your existing Panasonic, you should probably have the wiring in place for the existing surround speakers right? Or have you kept them all (speakers) together, alongside the system?

Your Panasonic is a home theatre in a box and the best replacement for you is yet another system like the Panasonic. It will remain compact and won't occupy too much space.

I am guessing you want something compact. On these lines, I suggest you take a look at Pioneer HTP-072 or a Philips HTB-5540D. I'd pick the Philips over the Pioneer.

If clutter is a problem, then you can consider a sound bar. This consists of an amplifier and speaker, all in one box. No wires except for the power chord. Some of them have integrated bluetooth as well for wireless audio streaming for your phone or ipad. This is not a home theatre. One that comes to mind is a Cambridge Audio Minx TV.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th June 2015 at 10:45.
Old 19th June 2015, 10:43   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Just keep the volume at sane levels.
Will try.

Quote:
You'll get peanuts. You much rather keep the Panasonic or sell it on places like Olx, etc.
Agreed. But on Olx/Quikr also I will only get peanuts.

Quote:
25K will get you a decent home theatre in a box which will be easy to operate. You'll have to double, triple the budget if you are looking for a jump in performance.
Cant go beyond that, home minister does not approve, thinks its wasteful expenditure.

Quote:
Or have you kept them all (speakers) together, alongside the system?
Correctly guessed. The clutter is too much, plus its gets man handled by the maid everyday

Quote:
I am guessing you want something compact. On these lines, I suggest you take a look at Pioneer HTP-072 or a Philips HTB-3540. I'd pick the Philips over the Pioneer.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 19th June 2015, 10:57   #2404
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of exchanging it to a home theatre set up which was sufficient for a 11X12 room size. What should be my options?
I got my Bose Cinemate Series II for 29K but purchased it in the US. The performance is awesome and rivals much more expensive HT setups. I use it in our living room and it is a 2.1 with no satellite and hence no wiring hassles. It is extremely simple to use but tt does not play USB sources and that should be accomplished by your TV (if smart). However, thats a minor compromise for the sound quality and value this package offers.
Old 19th June 2015, 10:58   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The clutter is too much, plus its gets man handled by the maid everyday
Please note that I made a correction to the Philips model. The one I recommended comes with a pair of small slender front speakers. The rest are compact. If you want all speakers to be compact, I suggest a Philips HTB-5510D.
Old 20th June 2015, 09:11   #2406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Since you have :

1. PS3
2. Yamaha AVR with 5.1

Your setup can play Dolby or DTS files via HDMI or Optical cable.

You can also play HD formats like DTS HD if:

1. PS3 is connected to AVR by HDMI
2. Enable DTS HD decoding in PS3, so AVR gets lossless Audio on HDMI
3. If AVR supports HD, then just connect and play.
Thanks for the thought. This is how my connections are made.
TV to AVR using optical cable for audio and HDMI for video. Airtel HD STB to AVR using HDMI.

I am planning to change it as below. Airtel STB HD to AVR using HDMI. PS3 to AVR using HDMI/optical cable.

Does the PS3 support ARC ? I am not sure if my AVR plays HD. How to check?
Old 20th June 2015, 11:13   #2407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am planning to change it as below. Airtel STB HD to AVR using HDMI. PS3 to AVR using HDMI/optical cable.
This should work.

Quote:
Does the PS3 support ARC ? I am not sure if my AVR plays HD. How to check?
ARC is not relevant in this scenario. To check HD (Audio) support in AVR

1. What is the model # of AVR ? It should be in specs.
2. Play a blueray with HD Audio in bitstream mode on PS3.

If AVR shows DTS HD, it supports HD. Otherwise it will still play DTS (or Dolby HD vs Dolby).
Old 20th June 2015, 14:10   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This should work.

ARC is not relevant in this scenario. To check HD (Audio) support in AVR

1. What is the model # of AVR ? It should be in specs.
2. Play a blueray with HD Audio in bitstream mode on PS3.

If AVR shows DTS HD, it supports HD. Otherwise it will still play DTS (or Dolby HD vs Dolby).
Well something is not right about the setup i have made now.

Airtel is now connected to HDMI in port of AVR. AVR HDMI out is connected to TV. Works good.
Removed Airtel and replaced it with PS3. Getting video, but no audio at all. I tried connecting the optical cable from PS3 to AVR with no luck at all.
Old 20th June 2015, 17:29   #2409
BHPian

Quote:

Removed Airtel and replaced it with PS3. Getting video, but no audio at all.

Did you check sound settings in the PS3. It is exhaustive and you can select various sound modes to send via Hdmi including multiple channels out via Hdmi and via optical etc do check once there
Old 21st June 2015, 09:05   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did you check sound settings in the PS3. It is exhaustive and you can select various sound modes to send via Hdmi including multiple channels out via Hdmi and via optical etc do check once there
Culprit was the cable. Purchased a new one and i am getting the sound with my setup.
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:49   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Friends, need your advise for buying myself a HT for my living room which is 17 x 12 and I have a 48" Samsung LED in place there. Budget is around 50k (+/- 10k tops). What are my options? HTIB or mix/match with various brand to build up HT slowly? My priority is good clean crisp sound, it will be used for watching movies, music videos and radio (if thats possible). Also, please suggest places in Delhi NCR where I can buy from, obviously after having some demos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Have a look at Bose Cinemate Series II. Simple to use and terrific sound effect. Especially great for living rooms as don't need too much wiring and can be operated by kids or elders. I have it in my living room. I have a more extensive 7.1 setup in my bedroom with too many bells and whistles which is rivaled by the Bose any day!
Thanks diyguy for the suggestion. Checked the Bose at their store in Saket, Delhi. It was good, however not for its price! I took the safer route and bought Yamaha YHT 299 after 3 auditions in different locations. Got a pretty good deal too since it is outdated by YHT 2910! It should be suffice for now and I plan to buy a good stereo amp (have Marantz PM 5005 as baseline in my mind) and a set of nice bookshelf speakers to go with it for my bedroom to serve music needs.
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:55   #2412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Thanks diyguy for the suggestion. Checked the Bose at their store in Saket, Delhi. It was good, however not for its price! I took the safer route and bought Yamaha YHT 299 after 3 auditions in different locations. Got a pretty good deal too since it is outdated by YHT 2910! It should be suffice for now and I plan to buy a good stereo amp (have Marantz PM 5005 as baseline in my mind) and a set of nice bookshelf speakers to go with it for my bedroom to serve music needs.
This will be more than enough for the movies. Good that you understand the difference in music with a proper 2 channel setup. Make sure that you keep a decent budget for the source too, either a cd player or a dac (w/ asynch usb).

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 22nd June 2015 at 12:57.
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:46   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
This will be more than enough for the movies. Good that you understand the difference in music with a proper 2 channel setup. Make sure that you keep a decent budget for the source too, either a cd player or a dac (w/ asynch usb).
Thanks CMS. Yep, I will make a separate budget for each component of the system once I start working on it. Till then, its Yamaha for me.
Old 27th June 2015, 12:15   #2414
BHPian

AV Racks

Hi,

I am looking for similar AV Racks that are adjustable in terms of shelf height.
Do you know where they are available in India ? Specifically Bangalore.

I even don't mind a DIY one if I can get all the components.

Thanks
Fillmore

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2015 at 13:35. Reason: As per PM
Old 28th June 2015, 14:38   #2415
BHPian

Re: AV Racks

These are narrow width computer racks. Look up your local classifieds for advts. A good source can be channeltimes. I use the same at home, just 18 inches in height. I get these from the fabricator who makes them for DLink.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks