Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 08:21   #2536
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Looking for a standalone integrated Hi-Fi system with a small footprint (maybe 18" x 18") for a largish study. Music is for easy listening including connecting to TV, multiple audio sources, Chromecast etc. and major bass not required. Budget 40k max.

Was looking at the Bose Wave series. What else to consider from Yamaha, H-K, Pioneer etc?
Old 10th May 2016, 21:37   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
What else to consider from Yamaha, H-K, Pioneer etc?
I am not sure if Yamaha India sell compact stereos in India. I know for sure that Pioneer and Harman Kardon don't.

A couple of options you can look at are the Denon CEOL N5 (Piccolo) and the Philips HTL 9100. The Philips is more a single piece sound bar with a little external sub woofer that is non intrusive. Keep the sub woofer at the lowest setting and you won't even notice its there. Both systems offer room filling sound. From a sound quality stand point, it will be the Denon.

Please note that if you want to use Chromecast, it will work only with the Philips. Chromecast Audio will work with the Philips as well as the Denon. The Philips is a lot more flexible when it comes to connectivity.

The Denon and Philips are within your budget.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th May 2016 at 21:40.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:14   #2538
Distinguished - BHPian

Many thanks, will certainly research both.

What about the Bose Wave III and Bose SoundTouch series? The former is available at a appealing price (~24k) on Amazon's official Bose store. However, it seems be very old school in its connectivity options. The latter (SoundTouch 20) is more expensive (~33k) but much more connected but am unsure of sound quality compared to its peers.
Portability is not a requirement though and I would like to get the most sound quality for the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am not sure if Yamaha India sell compact stereos in India. I know for sure that Pioneer and Harman Kardon don't.

A couple of options you can look at are the Denon CEOL N5 (Piccolo) and the Philips HTL 9100. The Philips is more a single piece sound bar with a little external sub woofer that is non intrusive. Keep the sub woofer at the lowest setting and you won't even notice its there. Both systems offer room filling sound. From a sound quality stand point, it will be the Denon.

Please note that if you want to use Chromecast, it will work only with the Philips. Chromecast Audio will work with the Philips as well as the Denon. The Philips is a lot more flexible when it comes to connectivity.

The Denon and Philips are within your budget.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:26   #2539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the Bose Wave III and Bose SoundTouch series?
I would pick the SoundTouch 20 over the Wave any day and for the one reason only, that is connectivity such as Wi Fi and Bluetooth. I must remind you that a Chromecast still can't be connected to the Bose as I believe there is only a HDMI output and the Bose won't accept that. Depending on the TV you have, it may or may not be possible to connect that too.

I have a really old Wave radio cd system that I fixed myself cause the chaps at Bose stopped support for it. It looks identical to the one on sale today. It sounds okay. A little towards being bass heavy. Some like this sound, I don't. The Bose service chaps said the new Wave radio sounds a lot better, however, connectivity is still very limited.

Before you put your money down on anything, always cross compare cost at a store.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:58   #2540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A couple of options you can look at are the Denon CEOL N5 (Piccolo) and the Philips HTL 9100.
The Philips with those removable side speakers is not at all worth it. I had auditioned it at Croma when it was launched. Very mediocre sound. Not even a basic listener would appreciate it.

Yamaha is still selling its YHT-196 5.1 HT System at around 25k. I was considering at one point but my purchase has been delayed.

Regards,
Raj
Old 11th May 2016, 11:09   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would pick the SoundTouch 20 over the Wave any day and for the one reason only, that is connectivity such as Wi Fi and Bluetooth. I must remind you that a Chromecast still can't be connected to the Bose as I believe there is only a HDMI output and the Bose won't accept that. Depending on the TV you have, it may or may not be possible to connect that too.
Thanks, we seem to be monopolizing the thread :-).

Did some more Googling on Bose products:

1. The Wave IV system is available in India from Bose directly for 50k. This one seems to marry the CD player of the Wave III with the connectivity of the SoundTouch series so hopefully best of both worlds? I do have a big bunch of CDs so this is certainly an option.
https://www.boseindia.com/en_in/prod...o_black_in_uae

2. The SoundTouch 30 is also available at 57k while the ST20 is available for 33k. Need to see why the ST30 is 20k more expensive!
I prefer the vertical form factor of the ST rather tha the Wave.
https://www.boseindia.com/en_in/prod...ack_anz_in_uae

EDIT: The Sonon range is now available with Amazon India as well but apart from the superlative reviews I have no context on their performance. Getting into serious money territory too with the Play 5 at least!

Play 1: http://www.amazon.in/SONOS-PLAY-Comp.../dp/B00EWCUK1Q

Play 3: http://www.amazon.in/SONOS-Wireless-...YGW093ECEJPMB1

Play 5: http://www.amazon.in/SONOS-PLAY-Ulti...dp_ob_title_ce

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th May 2016 at 11:13. Reason: Sonos
Old 11th May 2016, 13:19   #2542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting into serious money territory too with the Play 5 at least
I have never heard a Sonos system so won't comment. However; you might want to rethink if you want to spend more than the original budget.

The Denon should sound better than all the Bose options you listed. I recommend you listen to all of them.

If you must get a Bose, the Wave IV should do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I had auditioned it at Croma when it was launched. Very mediocre sound.
Croma is the wrong place to audition anything audio. They crank up the volume to the extent that all you can hear is distortion. The environment is noisy and their demonstration rooms are a joke.

I had superb experience with the Philips. The unit was demonstrated in a hotel room. This was during the What Hi Fi show. I was very impressed by the sound. It offers a good range of connectivity too. Usually; in one box system or sound bars like the Philips, its easy to localise the bass cause of the external sub woofer. For this particular model of Philips, the sub woofer was playing along really well.

I believe the requirements are for something compact and preferably a one box system, which the Yamaha isn't.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th May 2016 at 13:25.
Old 13th May 2016, 10:52   #2543
Senior - BHPian

I'm using the Yamaha MCR 140 for over 4 years now. Its a compact stereo, a real head turner and I believe one of the best around. Really happy with its performance. Had seen one at a Yamaha showroom in Bengaluru, and was pleasantly surprised then as I had picked up mine abroad, not sure which one though.

[quote=sandeepmohan;3970655]I am not sure if Yamaha India sell compact stereos in India.
Old 14th May 2016, 02:10   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Thanks Mr M R K & diyguy.

Mr M R K, that's an excellant combination. So, you've a dedicated Audio output to the Sound bar.

diyguy - I'll try the combination suggested by you. Right now, I've connected STB -> TV via HDMI and HT->TV via HDMI in ARC slot. Right now not using any other Devices like Playstation etc., Now additional queries pop out:

My TV Model is Sony Bravia X8500C Android TV..
& HT Model is Sony BDV-E4100..

1. I don't use HT all the time, particularly, night times, to avoid disturbance to the neighbours. So, What'll happen, If the HT is switched off ? STB-> HT -> TV.

2. If I connect both HDMI as well as Optical Cable, Is it possible to split Video via HDMi and Audio via Optical Cable ?

3. STB->HT via HDMI or both HDMI and Optical Cable for better Audio reproduction. Or both are same ?
Hi Jazz - will be procuring similar spec-ed TV and HT combo. Was wondering if TataSky HD does come with Optical Out or Coaxial Out? Because if its Coaxial Out, it's a
n altogether complex story of getting it connected to HT. And I've not seen the TataSky HD STB in person but reviews online tell it comes only with Coax out, so that's not true? If its Optical Out, am pretty happy !

Last edited by vvijay : 14th May 2016 at 02:11.
Old 14th May 2016, 11:13   #2545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the requirements are for something compact and preferably a one box system, which the Yamaha isn't.
Narrowed down to the Bose SoundTouch 20 Series III for ~34k or the Polk Audio Woodbourne for 40k (on offer).

Can anyone share any experience of these specific models?
Old 16th May 2016, 08:34   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Hi Jazz - will be procuring similar spec-ed TV and HT combo. Was wondering if TataSky HD does come with Optical Out or Coaxial Out? Because if its Coaxial Out, it's a
n altogether complex story of getting it connected to HT. And I've not seen the TataSky HD STB in person but reviews online tell it comes only with Coax out, so that's not true? If its Optical Out, am pretty happy !
It comes with both Coaxial and optical out.
I have a T-sky HD Set top box
Old 16th May 2016, 18:52   #2547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone share any experience of these specific models?
I am inclined towards the Polk Audio. Why? Cause it houses a two way speaker system. Connectivity is a wee bit better too.
Old 16th May 2016, 19:22   #2548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am inclined towards the Polk Audio. Why? Cause it houses a two way speaker system. Connectivity is a wee bit better too.
Thanks. Now also considering the SoundTouch 30 for 57k
Old 7th June 2016, 17:31   #2549
BHPian

After reading all the reviews and high praises here, I went to RD yesterday for the demo of Yamaha YHT 299. They said it has been discontinued and they are out of stock. The YHT 196 blocked my mind as it does not have USB and the sound was not that wow moreso the salesman was insisting me not to buy the Yamaha YHT 196 as it is outdated system and to wait for the 299 replacement. Similar case with the Sony HT's they sounded very mediocre.

After hearing some of the other HT stuff, I proceeded to the Bose store. The demo what he gave was really wonderful and what an experience. But after 20 odd minutes he came up with the price of the Lifestyle 535 as Rs. 3,31,000/- which is leagues out of my budget.

I have bought the Sony W800 55 android and wifi enabled TV and want a decent setup for my living room.

I am totally confused as follows:
- to build a system (like getting a separate AV receiver and separate Speakers and Sub and stuff)
- or get a package system like the Bose Soundtouch 520 series (which will require an AV too)
- Or to go for a soundbar sub combo with a Yamaha AV.

The more I browse stuff on youtube / google the more I am getting confused.

I don't want a earth shattering real theater bass. I am looking for clear and crisp sound with quality bass and trebles for occasional family movie sessions and music sessions.

Kindly guide me. Thanks in advance !

Last edited by The Great : 7th June 2016 at 17:33.
Old 7th June 2016, 18:17   #2550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
get a package system like the Bose Soundtouch 520 series (which will require an AV too)
If you are on a budget and have liked the sound of lifestyle systems, you should go with Bose. It does have an amplifier inbuilt so you won't need anything separate . Should perfectly suit your requirements in my opinion. BOSE has priced its products very high in India and their stores won't offer any rebates check if someone can pick for you from Canada or US . There is some promotion at present also check with Jumbo - speak to some senior guy , I have personally bought a lifestyle system which they arranged via Bose but with about 15 % discount on MRP during Diwali last year.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th June 2016 at 18:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks