Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2015, 15:36   #2506
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Friends,

Bought JBL SB250 Sound bar last week for 14,999/- from Snapdeal.

Excellent and mind blowing product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Folks, I am looking to add a speaker to my LED tv which sound pretty awful. I am not a music buff although likes soft and tender music notes.

Suggest something which may also have an aux o/p too (for mobiles,ipod etc).
Its ideal for you.

It can also play ipod etc through bluetooth.

Go for it.

You will love it.

Last edited by skdking : 20th December 2015 at 15:41.
Old 18th January 2016, 13:41   #2507
BHPian

Looking to replace my old stereo bookshelf speakers for my 50w@8ohm onkyo. Heard polk tsx110b. It was almost there except that it was tad bright. TSx220B was disappointing . I have read reviews and people seem to suggest polk rti a1 is better than tsx110b. Any place where I can heard the a1s? Any feedback from members here?
Old 18th January 2016, 14:16   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Looking to step into the Hi-Fi audio space after lots of contemplation - especially because I am still on rented house, and the listening space is bound to keep changing once every few years. So settling down to a very simple set up for a start ( budget constraints too! )

Almost finalized on the Wharfedale Diamond 220s, as all the reviews keep praising it to no end, and all those reviews cant go too wrong.
For the AVR, looking at the Harman Kardon 1510 - which retails for about 30K in amazon. Was actually looking for an AVR with Bluetooth in it, but looks like that is too much to ask at this price point.

Any suggestions or issues with what I have in mind now? Or can I go ahead with this setup?

PS: I haven't heard this combination - I know its a big sin ! :(
Old 18th January 2016, 15:32   #2509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Looking to step into the Hi-Fi audio space after lots of contemplation - especially because I am still on rented house, and the listening space is bound to keep changing once every few years. So settling down to a very simple set up for a start ( budget constraints too!
PS: I haven't heard this combination - I know its a big sin ! :(
Q: What's your budget?

Nothing beats a good audio system, but make sure it is Bluetooth enabled. I made a mistake of purchasing the Denon Ceol N8 and it does not have bluetooth (has Airplay) and it bugs me till no end. Superb Clarity and Brilliant Range but falls short of wireless connectivity.

Please make sure you test the system. Remember, music is very subjective but if you like balanced and true reproduction of the sound, you need a decent setup.
Old 18th January 2016, 15:47   #2510
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Almost finalized on the Wharfedale Diamond 220s, as all the reviews keep praising it to no end, and all those reviews cant go too wrong.
Don't just go by reviews, especially with a HT/Home Music setup.
Everyone's listening room, likes/dislikes when it comes to music and money one is ready to spend can be different so no one size fits all solution here.
Only way is to carry your music/movies around and audition them with different setups.
Old 18th January 2016, 17:08   #2511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I made a mistake of purchasing the Denon Ceol N8 and it does not have bluetooth (has Airplay) and it bugs me till no end.
you can Bluetooth enable the receiver with a Bluetooth receiver if you are really into it. I have a Sony Bluetooth transmitter/receiver which I purchased but hardly use. I purchased to watch late night tv without disturbing my wife but she seems to sleep through anything so didn't bother with this much 😉
Old 19th January 2016, 08:42   #2512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions or issues with what I have in mind now? Or can I go ahead with this setup?
Your choice of speaker should be fine. I have doubts on the Avr though. Why AVR? Are you planning on taking baby steps in to home theatre? If no, then I recommend a stereo integrated amplifier from Marantz or NAD. For bluetooth, you can get one of these and connect it to your amplifier. I have heard the Avantree Saturn and it is very good. Please note, this particular model of Avantree isn't suitable for video.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B008...M20VVMSZ4HNXF9

The trouble with av receivers and especially the one you have selected, is that they lack the power that the manufacturer claims. The decent sounding receivers are not less than 50k and even those can't hold a candle to a 25k stereo integrated amplifier when it comes to sound quality.

Another recommendation for the amplification is the Marantz M-CR510. It does wi fi so I guess you don't need bluetooh any more.
Old 20th January 2016, 11:21   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Q: What's your budget?

Nothing beats a good audio system, but make sure it is Bluetooth enabled. I made a mistake of purchasing the Denon Ceol N8 and it does not have bluetooth (has Airplay) and it bugs me till no end. Superb Clarity and Brilliant Range but falls short of wireless connectivity.

Please make sure you test the system. Remember, music is very subjective but if you like balanced and true reproduction of the sound, you need a decent setup.
I am not an audiophile, and I am on a tight budget of about 45-50 K for the full setup ( which is lavish as per my family, tiny as per the HT guys! ) But yes, will have to audition before I zero in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Don't just go by reviews, especially with a HT/Home Music setup.
Everyone's listening room, likes/dislikes when it comes to music and money one is ready to spend can be different so no one size fits all solution here.
Only way is to carry your music/movies around and audition them with different setups.
Noted, and have decided to select my kind of music, load in on a pen drive and go do some auditioning. Thanks for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Your choice of speaker should be fine. I have doubts on the Avr though. Why AVR? Are you planning on taking baby steps in to home theatre?
The trouble with av receivers and especially the one you have selected, is that they lack the power that the manufacturer claims. The decent sounding receivers are not less than 50k and even those can't hold a candle to a 25k stereo integrated amplifier when it comes to sound quality.

Another recommendation for the amplification is the Marantz M-CR510. It does wi fi so I guess you don't need bluetooh any more.
Hi Sandeep, in all probability I am never going to have a 5.1 setup - ever. So it is going to be only 2 front speakers now, and maybe a sub after a year or so.
I chose AV-R as, most Integrated amplifiers cost almost the same, and so thought why not get the video functionality as a bonus.
Also, is it easy to connect the Integrated amplifiers to the TV, and to other devices via Bluetooth?
Old 20th January 2016, 11:34   #2514

Mod note: Post Edited, please avoid Quoting entire large post for replies, affects readability especially on mobile browsers. Thanks.

Quote:
I am not an audiophile, and I am on a tight budget of about 45-50 K for the full setup ( which is lavish as per my family, tiny as per the HT guys! ) But yes, will have to audition before I zero in.
======
Also, is it easy to connect the Integrated amplifiers to the TV, and to other devices via Bluetooth?

Have you considered Harmon Kardon SB 26? This package has a sound bar and a sub woofer and fits perfectly in your budget. And the output is rich and beautiful.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th January 2016 at 11:50.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:01   #2515
BHPian

Quote:
I am not an audiophile, and I am on a tight budget of about 45-50 K for the full setup
To put things in perspective - My Denon cost me around 62k, so 50k is in no way cheap. Saw this:
http://www.hifimart.com/index.php?ro...ckview&pid=443

Retails at around 45k - you might get it cheaper in B&Ms. This is almost a replica of my system but has Bluetooth. You can pair it relatively decent speakers for now (might still cost you 10k) and go in for an upgrade later.

I know, it is still overshooting your budget but unfortunately that's what we pay in India for such a setup.

However, if you use an iphone, Airplay is good enough. Remember this is going to be something that will last 5-7 years easily, so choose wisely. Make sure you audition, I cannot emphasize it enough.

If Airplay is good enough for you, then look at this:
http://www.hifimart.com/index.php?ro...ckview&pid=215

The same model is available with Denon too. Your setup cost will go around 50k with this.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:11   #2516
BHPian

Quote:
You may want to check out the Bose Cinemate 15. Super clear sound and can give most 5.1 channel ones a run for their money in similar price range. Costs 50K change but worth every penny. I checked it by playing Jagjit Singh to Black Eyed Peas and trust me, output for both was better than Onkyo and Yamaha 5.1s in similar price range.

Check out http://amzn.to/1Rz5631

Walk into any of the Bose experience stores and check out.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:27   #2517
BHPian

Now 8-10 months down the line , i plan to move into my new house. Before moving in, would like to get complete wiring etc done for music in multiple rooms. Basically am thinking of speakers in bedroom, living room/bar, balcony, kitchen and one guest room at least. Now the point is i should be able to control the volume of different speakers in different rooms from a center console through a remote
While doing an online search for various options, it was found out that one would need a multiroom Audio System Hub. Samsung does offer one such hub which can be controlled through an App.
My questions are :-
  • a. In case any BHPian has done this kind of setup, kindly share the procedure, intricacies and options ?
  • b. Has anyone used the Samsung Wireless Multiroom System Hub? If yes how is the control and sound clarity.
  • c. Which are the best amp and speakers for such a configuration?
This is my initial thinking only and i may require other things and may be way off the mark so suggestions are welcome.
I do have sufficient time to research and finalise.
Old 20th January 2016, 14:12   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I chose AV-R as, most Integrated amplifiers cost almost the same, and so thought why not get the video functionality as a bonus.

I'll admit, an AVR does a lot more when it comes to functionality over a stereo integrated amplifier. This is about where it ends as well in terms of benefits. There is no real video functionality other than passing through the hdmi signal and maybe, up scale the video via the avr's internal video converters, the latter being something you will rarely do.

Here's the thing, if you are heavily in to movie content from a blu ray source, then it is probably a good idea to invest in a quality avr. If not, a regular integrated amplifier will do the job for tv sound.

Depending on the tv you have, it will be possible to connect it to a integrated amplifier. Some tv's have a digital optical or analog output. If the tv has a digital optical or analog out, it can be connected to the Marantz M-CR510. Similarly, for dth tv, the set top box usually has some form of an audio output, analog or digital. These can be used to hook up to your integrated amplifier.

Quote:
Integrated amplifiers don't come with bluetooth. You will have to purchase the Avantree to add bluetooth functionality for a integrated amplifier. With this device, you can stream phone audio to your integrated amplifier.

Though sold out on this link, this is what I would consider as a superior avr to the Harman you had selected. Once again, you'll have to buy the Avantree for bluetooth.

http://www.hifimart.com/electronics/...-receiver.html

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th January 2016 at 14:19.
Old 20th January 2016, 15:01   #2519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There is no real video functionality other than passing through the hdmi signal and maybe, up scale the video via the avr's internal video converters, the latter being something you will rarely do.

Here's the thing, if you are heavily in to movie content from a blu ray source, then it is probably a good idea to invest in a quality avr.

If the tv has a digital optical or analog out, it can be connected to the Marantz M-CR510. Similarly, for dth tv, the set top box usually has some form of an audio output, analog or digital.

Though sold out on this link, this is what I would consider as a superior avr to the Harman you had selected. Once again, you'll have to buy the Avantree for bluetooth.

[/url]
Lots and lots of thought provoking line here above ! This post is really putting my month long research on the back burner ! A big thank you for clearing a lot of things for me

And, the Marantz CR510 is available on Amazon at 31.5K, which just in the same league as the HK 1510. However, since the CR510 is being rated at 60W at 6 ohms ( maybe about 45W at 8 ohm? ) as compared to the 75 W the HK is being rated at, I thought it was better to go with the AVR1510.
Old 21st January 2016, 07:52   #2520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And, the Marantz CR510 is available on Amazon at 31.5K, which just in the same league as the HK 1510.
You might want to ask Harman, how are they squeezing in 5 channels of amplification, and, all the bells and whistles at such a low price. It is impossible. There has to be a compromise somewhere and that is something you will know only after you buy the receiver. There are quality receivers that deliver or come close to their rated power. The Harman most certainly isn't one of them. Most budget priced receivers aren't great when it comes to sound quality. The decent receivers don't come below 50K. An exception will be the Marantz NR-1504. This was once a 50k receiver.

I advice purchasing from places like hifimart, an audio store over Amazon. Your city has loads of audio stores. If it must be Amazon, verify that there is full warranty support from the manufacturer, seller.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks