Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 19:00   #2551
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks, we seem to be monopolizing the thread :-).

EDIT: The Sonon range is now available with Amazon India as well but apart from the superlative reviews I have no context on their performance. Getting into serious money territory too with the Play 5 at least!

Play 1: http://www.amazon.in/SONOS-PLAY-Comp.../dp/B00EWCUK1Q

Play 3: http://www.amazon.in/SONOS-Wireless-...YGW093ECEJPMB1

Play 5: http://www.amazon.in/SONOS-PLAY-Ulti...dp_ob_title_ce
I guess you meant Sonos. I heard them for a while while in Melbourne(my cousin brother had them). I myself have a bose - so can safely say: Sonos is comparable to Bose. It has that same fuller, deeper but clearer sound. Since you can set the system up via wifi/network, you can gradually build up your system by adding woofers, speakers later. Also, the entire system can be controlled via a mobile app, with settings for individual speakers. How cool is that!!
Old 7th June 2016, 20:53   #2552
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if we have a HT room thread, so i thought i will just post this here. Modes please feel free to delete/move the Post if it does not belong here.

[quote=AtheK;699153]Hey Guys,

From the early working days I had always wanted a dedicated room for me, but as I was generally living on rent, it was near impossible. When I finally got my house I quickly realized, that in a 2 bed room house it is pretty much impossible to have a room of your own as you need tons of storage place. So I converted my bed room into a make shift gaming and movie watching room. The room was pretty secluded so sound was not usually an issue.

So far so good, then for some reason unknown to the better side of my mind I decided to get married. Wife was never a fan of having the tv in bedroom forget playing games late nights, thus started the downfall of my gaming days. I used to sneak in hours sometimes, but except God of war ascension, I could not play any other game day one.

I got used to it, and then I picked up a projector and suddenly wife was very interested as she loved watching movies on it. So the plan to throw the tv out of the bedroom was also somehow put on hold for sometime, that is till we move to our new house.

When we bought our new house, I had only two priorities, one the apartment main gate should open to a main road, second the design of the house be such that a room is at entry of the house and rest of the rooms on the other side. I was probably ready to adjust with the First condition, but not with the second, as you guys would have guessed any how by now...so after a lot of struggle I did manage to find a house which ticked both the boxes.

We had huge arguments as to why we should have a dedicated room and why it should not act as both guest room and media room. I wanted the windows closed and no closets, she wanted some storage and Windows open, finally I won my case with the condition that I will not have any say in the design of the rest of the house. Well till I am getting my own room, who cares about the rest of the house. Treaty signed. The room is small in size 13*11, but till it is mine who cares.

For the money part it was told to me very clearly I can of use the remaining of the budget after she is done with all her stuff. So that means my room started the last and was done by a different group of team. Well I was ok till I was getting my room. And this is how, ladies and gentlemen I got my own little room. I had already got all the equipments so it was 0 expense on equipment side, though I did add a roku 4 to the setup. Airconditioner was procured from common budget [emoji14]

So the equipment list reads..

Onkyo Tx-nr709 THX certified receiver
Polk RTi A3 front
Polk CSi A6 Centre
Polk FXi A6 surround.
DSW Pro 660WL

Soon to add 2 more to enable Dolby atmos.

Inputs
PS3
PS4
XBOX 360
ROKU 4
Laptop as media centre
Chrome cast
Tata Sky

Output (simultaneous output)
LG 42" FULL HD TV (To be upgraded to 55" TV)
Optoma HD20 full HD projector. (to be upgraded to a short throw projector to get even bigger screen)

Wiring was already concealed, and now has sound proof panels installed on the Complete back wall where the projection is. Two sound panels on either side of the side walls, and one on the entry door. Sound proofing works great and my wife sleeping in the other room with baby are hardly able to hear anything.

Planning to do wooden flooring, but the cost factor is a deterrent as it is not adding too much value. A TV unit was designed and made by my carpenter, and I procured lounger cum bed from a furnitire shop. Will pick a couple of bean bags for guests. Will also probably get the roof painted in a dark color, as room gets too bright for my liking while watching movies.

A mini refrigerator will be ordered shortly to keep the cold drinks, so that once the room is locked it stays locked.

The current projection is around 102", will increase once projector is upgraded. The posters took quite sometime and all of them except the big game of thrones was procured from Thailand. The batman symbol was drawn by a friend and has quite a bit of action figures.

So that my friends is the story of my room, a dream finally fulfilled, below are some pics, sorry about quality all done through my mobile as I hate copying photos from DSLR and editing them. Shoot away any questions you might have for me.

We can maybe use this thread forour hi fi related equipment discussion as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th June 2016 at 21:45. Reason: Removing the unwanted bits - Rule #11
Old 13th June 2016, 11:01   #2553
BHPian

Ok so I bought a Yamaha HTR 3067 yesterday from Reliance Digital. Sweet deal that !!

The techie there said its the same AV that comes along with the YHT299.

Now I have 3 plans (either or - not sure yet so need help here)

1. To buy the Bose Acoustimass 10 HT system.

2. To buy the Bose Bose Solo 5 as the center speaker, Acoustimass 5 for the front left and right or 301 bookshelf front l and R and 161 for surround with a different sub.

3. To look elsewhere for other combinations (like Polk or Klipsh etc)

I want to build a decent setup for my living room with dimensions 18 x 15 feet with the sofa distance being 18 feet from tv.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:24   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Now I have 3 plans (either or - not sure yet so need help here)
1. To buy the Bose Acoustimass 10 HT system.
2. To buy the Bose Bose Solo 5 as the center speaker, Acoustimass 5 for the front left and right or 301 bookshelf front l and R and 161 for surround with a different sub.
3. To look elsewhere for other combinations (like Polk or Klipsh etc)
Any audiophile (But not me as I consider myself an audiofool having burnt a lot of money in this endeavor) will tell you that Bose is both over-priced and over-rated. I encourage you to go through the tons of material on Bose out there on the web.

Option 3 would therefore be best. One brand that I have had my eye on, but haven't auditioned yet, is Sonodyne. This Kolkata-based company's powered professional monitors are rated among the best in the US.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure you audition with your own HTR first.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 13th June 2016 at 12:26.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:48   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Any audiophile (But not me as I consider myself an audiofool having burnt a lot of money in this endeavor) will tell you that Bose is both over-priced and over-rated. I encourage you to go through the tons of material on Bose out there on the web.

Option 3 would therefore be best. One brand that I have had my eye on, but haven't auditioned yet, is Sonodyne. This Kolkata-based company's powered professional monitors are rated among the best in the US.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure you audition with your own HTR first.
Thanks for your inputs sir.

I need to rethink my plan now. Any suggestions to build an assembled system ?

Which Center, Left, Right, Surround and Sub combo to go along with my Yamaha 3067 receiver.
Old 13th June 2016, 13:32   #2556
BHPian

Lil help needed. I was in the market the other day (lajpat nagar) and tried out the JBL Cinema 350 Soundbar. Great sound for casual movie watching. The guys quoted a price of 25k. Any recommended dealer for JBL in Delhi? But the minimum price i can find online is 35k.

10k difference? Are these cheaper ones parallel imports? Will the have warranty support from JBL india?
Old 13th June 2016, 13:43   #2557
BHPian

Quote:
Which Center, Left, Right, Surround and Sub combo to go along with my Yamaha 3067 receiver.
Sorry, can't help you much there as I am into 2-channel stereo, not HT.

My best advice is still what I told you in the end, take your HTR and audition a bunch of speakers if you can. You will be able to figure out what works for you and not only that, but you can figure out which dealer works for you too.

Since you are in Bombay, there is an active community already out there. However knowing some of them, do make sure that you do not spend more than what you can afford . You can also look at hifimart.com, they are based out of Bombay, prices are reasonable and the owner also runs a popular HiFi forum.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 15:34   #2558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check out and post your questions in the HiFiVision forum - loads of people who help out with suggestions.

I too think Bose is highly over-rated. Take your time, check your AV receiver with many other speakers and I am sure you will get something you really like.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 15:54   #2559
BHPian

Quote:

I have custom made the bookshelf speakers for my HK AVR. Used Peerless drivers and they sound really good. The speaker setup is on a budget and the setup does not disappoint at all.
This is how the bookshelves look.
The Home Theater thread-unnamed.jpg

For the sub woofer, I went for a DIY. I initially wanted to do a DIY amp circuit, but later decided to go the car audio way. Got a Bostom 12 Inch sub and a car amplifier to drive this. Using an SMPS to power up the amp. Got the cabin made as well. Well, I can say that this concept works and delivers the punch at 1/3rd the budget.
Old 13th June 2016, 16:23   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Sorry, can't help you much there as I am into 2-channel stereo, not HT.

My best advice is still what I told you in the end, take your HTR and audition a bunch of speakers if you can. You will be able to figure out what works for you and not only that, but you can figure out which dealer works for you too.

Since you are in Bombay, there is an active community already out there. However knowing some of them, do make sure that you do not spend more than what you can afford . You can also look at hifimart.com, they are based out of Bombay, prices are reasonable and the owner also runs a popular HiFi forum.
Yes I registered on their forum and its really a gold mine for knowledge in everything relating to sound. Thanks a lot for the help sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Check out and post your questions in the HiFiVision forum - loads of people who help out with suggestions.

I too think Bose is highly over-rated. Take your time, check your AV receiver with many other speakers and I am sure you will get something you really like.
Now that I read such stuff about Bose on every forum, I am getting convinced that the system is not for me. I am on that site and there are tonnes of options there. Thanks a lot for the help sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I have custom made the bookshelf speakers for my HK AVR.
That's quite impressive sir, but I am limited on the knowledge front in music systems and their build's. All my life I have been believing that Sony and Bose are the best in Home-theaters and 2 days into the research here and I am stunned with the options and how my perceptions about these systems were so wrong.

Hence I am starting from scratch. These builds might not be my cuppa tea as I am yet to understand the basics.

Thanks a lot sir this really helps me understand that there is a lot more to it than I thought and these DIY stuff is also possible.
Old 13th June 2016, 16:27   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Ok so I bought a Yamaha HTR 3067 yesterday from Reliance Digital
Have you looked at compatible Yamaha speakers? I purchased my AVR from the US but picked up the speakers from Yamaha Music Square. I picked up center, towers, surround and the sub from them and use it in my bedroom.
However the AVR is pretty complex to operate given the options. I picked up a Bose Cinemate Series II for my living room and it is family proof. Anyone can operate and great sound. My opinion on Bose is probably biased because I purchased it from the US at about 60% of the price prevalent here. I probably wouldn't buy it here in India considering the price differential.
Old 28th July 2016, 19:51   #2562
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BHPians,

Please help out with suggestions.

- Need a sound system for an office room of about 160 sq ft.

- Sound quality more important than outright volume. Need deep bass, nice treble. Desired sound effect should be like those lounges.

- My laptop will supply the music via AUX. Will Bluetooth bring better SQ? Then Bluetooth.

- System for 30 - 40k okay? Or need to increase the budget?

- Should I go for a 2.1 or 5.1? Will a system like this meet the requirement? Is the Yamaha 299 good for music (or only movies)? My usage will be 100% music.

- Will the music play out of all 5 speakers or only 2 (would like all 5)?

- Open to any options, but sound & bass should be rich.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th July 2016, 20:03   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Should I go for a 2.1 or 5.1? Will a system
Guessing you gonna use the system only for music in that small size office room, 2.1 or rather 2 channels will be better choice.

Quote:
Will a system like this meet the requirement?
Since you are going to use the existing source (your laptop), better to invest in good pair of speakers along with any decent stereo amp instead of that entry level Yamaha system which is okay for movies but is not musical.

You can look at Wharfedale Diamond, Boston Acoustics, Q Acoustic, Cambridge Audio etc. Since you are in Mumbai, you have good scope of auditioning those speakers.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 28th July 2016 at 20:11.
Old 28th July 2016, 20:09   #2564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- Need a sound system for an office room of about 160 sq ft.
Quote:
- Sound quality more important than outright volume. Need deep bass, nice treble. Desired sound effect should be like those lounges.
Quote:
- My laptop will supply the music via AUX. Will Bluetooth bring better SQ? Then Bluetooth.
Quote:
For the Size of the Room and the requirements that you have, I would say the budget is more than good.

Quote:
Will a system like this meet the requirement? Is the Yamaha 299 good for music (or only movies)? My usage will be 100% music.
Oh Yes indeed. I am using Yamaha YHT-294 since the past 6 years for my hall that's ~200 Sqft and I am very much happy (not just content) with it. The sound is "Crisp" at the highest of volumes without distortion.

Quote:
It "Can" play out from all 5 Speakers as there is a Mode on the Remote called "5 Ch - Enhancer" that will playback from all 5 speakers even when the content is Stereo. I do that many times from my Phone when streaming live music.

Also, the YHT 297 (now not sold I guess) has an active sub-woofer with this powered by a separate power cord than driven my the HT Unit. So the Punch in the Bass is flawless.

Having listened to both Dolby and DTS content so far, I see no replacement for the needs for the next few years even when I move to a bigger place soon.

With a YHT-299 which is the next one after 297 that you have in mind, I am sure it should meet your needs.

NOTE: Personally walk into Croma or Rel Digital outlet and make them demo you the system in their AV Room and not just play it in the hall. That's the best place you will be able to decide between the choices. Later you can always buy online if you are getting good deals.

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th July 2016 at 20:11.
Old 28th July 2016, 20:15   #2565
Team-BHP Support

Rush, I have put together a setup similar to what you are probably looking to get two years ago, here is a list of the hardware you will need to put together:

1. Entry to mid level Audio Visual Receiver / Amplifier. The AVRs lose a little in terms of outright sound quality but offer a much more varied platform to play with.
Brands to consider: Marantz, Denon, Yamaha are the brands to consider here.
Budget: 20 - 35K

2. 1 pair of bookshelf speakers
Brands to consider: Polk Audio (I have a pair of TSX 220), Wharfdale, British Accoustics, Q Accoustics (recommended), Dali, Jamo, Paradigm, Keff (the nicest sounding from the ones I auditoned) etc.
Budget: 17 - 30K

3. Active Subwoofer
Brands to consider: Polk Audio, Wharfdale, British Accoustic, Q Accoustics, Dali, Jamo, Paradigm, etc.
Budget: 10 - 30K

4. Bluetooth music receiver if you want to go wireless.
Brand: Belkin
Budget: 2.5-3K (There are plenty of other more expensive choices to choose from on this)

Quote:
I stream music from my phone all the time in the car or home, and I'd say sound quality is easily two shades lower when compared to AUX cable or USB connectivity.

Quote:
My system comprising of a Marantz Slimline AVR, Polk Audio Bookshelves, Belkin BT receiver and speaker cable cost me close to 40K.
With an entry level active subwoofer I'd put the budget at minimum 50K.

Quote:
- Should I go for a 2.1 or 5.1?
2.1 for music is perfect.

Quote:
Will a system like this meet the requirement? Is the Yamaha 299 good for music (or only movies)? My usage will be 100% music.
Those plastic shell speakers are best suited for watching a movie at tops, bass at best will be average.

Quote:
Mainly the 2 fronts. Well placed stand mounted bookshelves with a subwoofer will be perfect.

Drop by at the ProFx store at Atria or The Shop just at the crossing of The Club Juhu and you should be able to get an audition for most of the above mentioned hardware.

Last edited by manson : 29th July 2016 at 00:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks