Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:25   #2461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I've a Sony MHC RV22 mini Home Theater System, which is lying unused since 5 years. Its speakers however, are in working condition.

Find a local technician and you can change lens for 1200 or so. I had mine done many years ago and put in a video cd lens with a video out for around that price. I don't use it anymore though.
Old 12th September 2015, 10:12   #2462
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Find a local technician and you can change lens for 1200 or so. I had mine done many years ago and put in a video cd lens with a video out for around that price. I don't use it anymore though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I opened the system myself at home. I searched the local market for a reliable CD Lens Cleaner, however I could not get it. Then I approached a local technician and he said the system cannot be repaired, better I get a DVD Player.
Now I've a query. The Speakers of this system are in working condition. Can I detach it from the system and attach it to the DVD Player? If yes, how?
Old 12th September 2015, 10:56   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
I've a Sony MHC RV22 mini Home Theater System, which is lying unused since 5 years. Its speakers however, are in working condition.

The said system was unable to read any CD, except Sony CDs and after some days, it stopped reading any CD. I took it to the Sony authorized service center. They diagnosed it and suggested to replace the "CD Reader Lens", costing Rs 3,000/-. I did not change it back then, and packed it. However, I disconnected its speakers and attached to a Sony DVD Player.

Now I want to get the system back into working condition. What do I need to do? Also, if required, where to buy Original Sony Spares in Pune from? Pointers will be of great help.
I am having the same system for almost 10 years now. The CD/DVD reader stopped working long back. Now i am using them with external DVD/Mobile out to the Game input.

Also, I found the speakers very good. When i connect them with stereo amplifier (a pioneer vintage amp which costed me around 5K) they sound fantastic. My personal view is that it may not be worth to get the CD player part get repaired. Instead you can get a new CD / DVD player for the same cost.
Old 12th September 2015, 11:03   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
I searched the local market for a reliable CD Lens Cleaner, however I could not get it.
...Can I detach it from the system and attach it to the DVD Player?

I used to use after shave or cologne to clean lens and heads. You will need an amp to power the speakers unless you buy a DVD player with a built in amp.
Alternately if your model has line in, you can use your hifi system as an amplifier to a DVD player.
Old 12th September 2015, 13:11   #2465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am having the same system for almost 10 years now. The CD/DVD reader stopped working long back. Now i am using them with external DVD/Mobile out to the Game input.
I'll check if it works this Game Input way.

Quote:
My personal view is that it may not be worth to get the CD player part get repaired. Instead you can get a new CD / DVD player for the same cost.
Yes. I've dropped the idea to repair the System. I have a Sony DVD Player too.

Quote:
I used to use after shave or cologne to clean lens and heads. You will need an amp to power the speakers unless you buy a DVD player with a built in amp.
Alternately if your model has line in, you can use your hifi system as an amplifier to a DVD player.
I will check the DVD player if it has a built in amplifier. It will be good if all of them start working anyhow. Is there any specific norm with respect to the speed in which a CD/DVD has to be written?
Old 12th September 2015, 13:59   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
. Is there any specific norm with respect to the speed in which a CD/DVD has to be written?

No speed norms but the disc needs to be finalized before it can be recognized by DVD players usually.
Old 16th September 2015, 18:57   #2467
BHPian

Hi friends, for the benefit of chennai friends I am sharing this info. On Sep 18th to 20th AV expo is happening in chennai trade center. Hoping to see some nice collection of home theatres on display
Old 1st October 2015, 02:50   #2468
BHPian

Hi,

My DVD Player finally decided to retire just before the climax of a movie.

So now being in the market for a new player, I am thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player. The question I need to ask you all is:

Do I get myself a Blu-Ray Player only from Sony, Philips, Samsung, etc. or does Sony PS3 make any sense?

My Requirements:
1. Connect an external hard disk for songs, videos, pictures, etc.
2. Play Blu-Ray discs obviously
3. Excellent Sound Quality while watching movies or listening to songs
4. PS3 could help me relive college days, however, I am not sure, how much time I would be able to take out to play games. My 4 yr old could use it for that in future, who knows.

Cost wise, I guess a Blu-Ray player is cheaper where as the cheapest 12GB PS3 costs around 14k.

PS: I have a decent Home-theater already setup consisting of a Denon receiver with sufficient number of HDMI and Optical inputs.

Please Advice

MaSh
Old 1st October 2015, 06:39   #2469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Do I get myself a Blu-Ray Player only from Sony, Philips, Samsung, etc. or does Sony PS3 make any sense?

You can't go wrong with a PS3. I just love mine and use it only for Internet content such as internet radio and YouTube. We watch movies occasionally and via my network storage and never by a bluray or dvd. My son plays a lot being 11 years old. Gives you a lot of versatility.
Old 1st October 2015, 07:54   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Get a basic BluRay player from Sony. The one I have is without display. Trust me you'll hardly find time to use the PS.

Quote:
Hi,

My DVD Player finally decided to retire just before the climax of a movie.

So now being in the market for a new player, I am thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player. The question I need to ask you all is:
=============
MaSh

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st November 2015 at 10:50. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 5th October 2015, 04:16   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
You can't go wrong with a PS3. I just love mine and use it only for Internet content such as internet radio and YouTube. We watch movies occasionally and via my network storage and never by a bluray or dvd. My son plays a lot being 11 years old. Gives you a lot of versatility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Get a basic BluRay player from Sony. The one I have is without display. Trust me you'll hardly find time to use the PS.
Thank You so much for the views. I guess a stand alone player does make a little more sense. Any suggestions on which one? It should be able to play popular Video formats with their 5.1 Audio if its a DVD or BD rip and the regular MP3s and FLAC music. On a limited budget here.

MaSh
Old 5th October 2015, 06:29   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, my Yht-299 receiver is with Yamaha Service Centre from last 15 days due to blown HDMI output port. Whole mother board is being changed under warranty.
Old 5th October 2015, 08:30   #2473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
...blown HDMI output port. Whole mother board is being changed under warranty.
How does this happen? I need to take care as my 3+ year old receiver is from the US and no warranty anyway.
Old 7th October 2015, 03:35   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Meanwhile, my Yht-299 receiver is with Yamaha Service Centre from last 15 days due to blown HDMI output port. Whole mother board is being changed under warranty.
Oh boy. But why 15 days? Parts not in stock? I once had my TV and a Laptop fried due to lightning. Laptop was connected to the TV via HDMI. Lightning apparently came via the set top box which was not harmed, fried the TV and then traveled to the laptop.

Quote:
How does this happen? I need to take care as my 3+ year old receiver is from the US and no warranty anyway.
Keep the receiver powered off, not even in stand by mode. And if you see clouds, disconnect inputs from any source which has a wire coming from outside, such as TV, terrace radio antennas, etc. Yeh this is what I do to keep my Denon safe.
Old 7th October 2015, 08:45   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Oh boy. But why 15 days? Parts not in stock? I once had my TV and a Laptop fried due to lightning. Laptop was connected to the TV via HDMI. Lightning apparently came via the set top box which was not harmed, fried the TV and then traveled to the laptop.
It was my fault, I connected the HDMI cable in receiver when both the Source and AVR were powered ON. The Yamaha SC guy told me that HDMI ports are very sensitive to voltages. He asked me to never connect HDMI cable between 2 equipments unless one of them is powered off. He also told me that if you more frequently remove and reinsert the HDMI cable and if the cable is not of good quality then HDMI port pins get damaged which is also the case with me.

The SC guy tried to first correct the problem on his level, but at last he decided to replace the whole motherboard of the AVR. The parts will come from Delhi and are only dispatched yesterday from there.

Last edited by mercedised : 7th October 2015 at 08:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks