Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2019, 16:26   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Can someone please suggest a decent sound bar under 25k. And if anyone is using, then please share the feedback.
Using the JBL 2.1 and it is good. I have connected it to my TV and there is a lot of difference, especially with HD content. And streaming content (Netflix, Prime) is also way better.
Old 12th March 2019, 17:11   #3212
BHPian

Re: FM Receiver to hook up to Amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any indian brands? I am with a budget of around 2K for an FM stereo receiver which has an 'Aux' out.
Well I've been on the lookout for something similar (my requirement and budget in fact are almost identical to yours) but never found anything that fits the need / want. What am i using now ? Some generic Chinese AM/FM radio unit with two small speakers attached, but it has a decent enough output form the headphone jack (I think 750 mV) so I can use it as the FM source with my amp. My only worry is what to do the day this decides to give up on me. Do share details if you happen to find what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
Check out Norge Audio.
If I recall correctly, Norge had indicated a price tag of 6 - 6.5k for just the FM tuner unit a few years ago (i.e. it still has to be connected as an input to your amp, it doesn't include amp) so not a viable option in the desired budget.
Old 12th March 2019, 17:16   #3213
BHPian

Re: FM Receiver to hook up to Amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by //HB View Post
Well I've been on the lookout for something similar (my requirement and budget in fact are almost identical to yours) but never found anything that fits the need / want. What am i using now ? Some generic Chinese AM/FM radio unit with two small speakers attached, but it has a decent enough output form the headphone jack (I think 750 mV) so I can use it as the FM source with my amp. My only worry is what to do the day this decides to give up on me. Do share details if you happen to find what you're looking for.
I wonder, why this space has NOT been catered to by any electronics giants. I just want to hook this FM Tuner onto my amp, when it is NOT used by the TV. So all I need is a neat stereo signal on aux out/RCA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //HB View Post
If I recall correctly, Norge had indicated a price tag of 6 - 6.5k for just the FM tuner unit a few years ago (i.e. it still has to be connected as an input to your amp, it doesn't include amp) so not a viable option in the desired budget.
I spoke to Norge guys and they are apprehensive about signal reception at some locales and NOT so confident about their antenna setup.
Old 1st April 2019, 22:57   #3214
BHPian

Hi all,

I am a noob when it comes to home theater. But wife is hell bent on getting one at home for whatever TV (set top box) and movies (Chromecast) we watch at home. I am more keen on watching this year's F1 season with full sound effects before they start using electric cars for F1 .

My room is 12ft x 18ft. I don't need to fill the whole room with sound, nor do I want to shake the apartment. I would prefer to get a sound bar, plus subwoofer, plus rear speakers. I can't hide the wires of the rear speakers, so if they are wireless then that will be a huge plus. Otherwise a friend suggested floor speakers with wires hidden behind the furniture.

I went to a Bose showroom. It was impressive, but was costing around 1.1L. I don't want to spend so much, anything between 20-30K should be ok.

Came across this Sony system at 21K. I have no idea how this is. Any pointers will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:28   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Hi all,

I am a noob when it comes to home theater. But wife is hell bent on getting one at home for whatever TV (set top box) and movies (Chromecast) we watch at home.
If you just want enhanced audio from your TV, then a sound bar with a sub-woofer will do. You can also go for 2 channel powered speakers such as Audioengine. Available in all price ranges. In this case, you can forgo rear speakers

If you want to listen to music only, then go for a stereo amplifier and a pair of bookshelves. Sub-woofer will be a plus. You need to feed high-quality, lossless music for lifelike experience. Budget around Rs. 70-80k for a basic setup. In this case, you can forgo rear speakers

If you want theatre-like experience from your TV without spending much, then you can consider an HTIB (home theatre in a box) from Yamaha, JBL, etc. You must be able to run hidden wires to the rear speakers. Your set-top box must output 5.1 Dolby digital sound through HD channels. Prices range around Rs. 20-30k

If you want to watch movies in an immersive experience through blu-ray discs or HD channels with 5.1 channel outputs, then you need an integrated AV receiver, a blue-ray player, two bookshelves, one center speaker, two rear speakers and one sub-woofer (5.1 setup). You must run hidden cables to the rear speakers. Available across a wide range of prices

No use in having a 5.1 channel system if your AV source is not outputting 5.1 channel sound for your amplifier to process.

Last edited by murillo : 2nd April 2019 at 05:34.
murillo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:55   #3216
Senior - BHPian

@shifu - I would strongly recommend a 2.1 set up. People often forget how immersive a good 2. 1 setup sounds with TV watching and even movies. You have an average size room which is good because it has space to allow a good bookshelf speaker to shine.

If you have absolutely no inclination to go full surround in the future, I recommend an integrated amplifier with a pair of bookshelves and a small sub. This will rock both with movies and music. Even an entry level AVR would be sufficient to drive 2 front speakers.

The brands you need to be looking at are JBL, Onkyo, Yamaha. Avoid a sound bar and a HTIB at all cost.
I can suggest specific models but would advise you have a listen at your local hifi store first.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd April 2019 at 08:51. Reason: line spacing & typo
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:03   #3217
Team-BHP Support

Looking for a 2.1 setup to use in my study room. I want wall mounted bookshelf speakers on both sides of the monitor. These are like nearfield range and not far away like a hall.

Choices are too many for active bookshelf but very few with sub out in which I want to add a sub later.

Other option is to go for an Integrated amplifier like MArantz PM6006 with bookshelf passive like the Dali Zensor 1 and add a sub later on.

Not sure what to go for. I was hoping to get everything at 50-60K.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd April 2019 at 08:53. Reason: edited
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:36   #3218
BHPian

Hi ,
I completed my home theatre last month and today I chnaced upon this thread .
Here is my home theatre set up
TV - LG C8 - 65 inches
AVR - Yamaha RXA 3070
Tower Speaker - POLK S 60 PAIR
Sub Woofer -POLK DSWPRO 660 MRP
Centre Speaker - Polk S35
Book Shelf - Polk OWM5
i_nv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:10   #3219
Senior - BHPian

@vid6639 - for active I would seriously recommend the KEF LSX. They have sub out and your usual ins and outs. They perform brilliantly. They will be slightly over your budget but take it as a long term investment. I ve seen them go for under one lakh. What is going to be your source ?

Alternatively, a marantz or a yamaha integrated with dalis or wharfdales will also do the job just fine while also giving an option for future upgradibility. But not at the same level as KEF.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd April 2019 at 08:55. Reason: line spacing
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:35   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I can suggest specfic models but would advise you have a listen at your local hifi store first.
Thanks for the guidance. Yes, please suggest specific models and I'll check where I can go and get an audition.

Thank you!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd April 2019 at 08:55. Reason: line spacing
Old 2nd April 2019, 18:57   #3221
Senior - BHPian

@shifu - Rather than me suggesting, its better you head to your local AV store and have a look and hear at what is available in your budget that you like. We can then shortlist and narrow down something. Have a look at the starting Denon and Marantz integrated models and for speakers look at Boston Acqoustics, Mission LX and the Taga Harmony. A combination of these should be under 40k and a massive upgrade from TV sound.
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:35   #3222
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance. Yes, please suggest specific models and I'll check where I can go and get an audition.

Thank you!
If you happen to go around Jubilee Hills road no. 45, please check out Vector Systems. I had visited them while looking around for a small audio set-up at home. They have a good collection and even have an audition room with a Yamaha 5.1 system installed. I was really impressed with the equipments they had on offer.
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:48   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this Sony system at 21K. I have no idea how this is. Any pointers will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
I have a Sony 5.1 HT which I bought way back in 2006 when there was no HDMI, USB etc.

I enjoyed watching movies on it, the experience was superb. You get a calibration mic to optimize the speaker setup and output from each individual speaker. Sadly, it is lying idle for the past few years as it has no USB or HDMI.

Been resisting the urge to go for a Bose or with other alternatives. Bought a JBL 2.0 soundbar for my LED tv and it makes a lot of difference compared to the TV speakers.

So, to answer your question, if you want a HT on a budget, go with Sony. It is worth it. Avoid the LG and Samsung ones where the sound quality IMHO is terrible. Last I checked Sony has wireless speakers which uses BT to connect. You're sorted on that front
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:59   #3224
BHPian

I came across this thread recently.

I have been an AV buff for a long time but have only been able to realize my dream when we got out our house constructed five years ago.

I have two A/V set ups. One is in the bonus room that has a 50 inch plasma TV (back in 2007, these were in vogue and even today it has fantastic picture quality).

I have two sets of separate AV set up here. One is for 2 channel music and TV watching and one for whole house audio.

For the bonus room audio/video I have the following set up:

Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC 61, 7.2 channel network ready
Amplifier: Emotiva 2 channel 300 watts RMS
Media streaming/Blue Ray player: Sony PS3
DVD Player: Sony

Speakers
Tower: Pioneer RTi A9
Centre: Polk Audio CS 10
Sub 1: Polk Audio PSW 111
Sub 2: Polk Audio PSW 10

Power: APC G5BLK 9-Outlet G-Type 15-Amp Rack-Mountable Power Conditioner

The Home Theater thread-img_20190401_195657.jpg

Whole house audio set up (controlled from the bonus room)

Receiver: Pioneer VSX 1017K, 7.1 channel
CD Changer: Sony CDP-CE500 6 CD Changer
Network Audio: Grace Digital GDI-IRDT200 Hi-Fi Internet Radio Tuner
4 set of speakers in four different rooms: Pioneer RC 85i

I also have a Synology NAS (2X4 TB drive) also set up in the bonus room.

My home theater set up is in the basement. It is a 9.1 channel set up that consists of 8 tower speakers, 2 subs and a centre channel speaker.

Projector: JVCX 500R
Screen: Elite 120 inch
Receiver: Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC 85 - 9.2 Channel Networked Class D3
Network/Blue Ray SACD Player: Oppo BDP-103
Tower (4 pairs): Monitor 70, R50, TSI 500, M20
Centre: Polk Audio CSi A-6
Sub (2): Polk Audio PSW 111
Power: APC G5BLK 9-Outlet G-Type 15-Amp Rack-Mountable Power Conditioner

The Home Theater thread-ht-1.jpg
The Home Theater thread-ht-3.jpg
The Home Theater thread-img_0104.jpg
The Home Theater thread-ht-4.jpg
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:45   #3225
BHPian

Quote:

I have the HT-IV 300 model from Sony in our living room. It's really bang for the buck, with slightly boomy bass, and well sounding speakers. We were initially in the shop to buy the 50K HomeTheatre system ( 9200 or 7200 something ) , but the sound on that was worse than these 20k ones.

It's got good connectivity options, including ARC and Screen Mirroring. I'll request you to visit some Sony store or Multi-brand store for auditioning. For your budget, one should compare - Sony, JBL & Yamaha brands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks