Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2017, 12:58   #3076
BHPian

The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I have a question of the different audio codecs.

My home theater receiver is Onkyo TX-NR609. I use two sources primarily

1. Play mkv files on the TVs USB input and TVs headphone out to Receiver's TV in via RCA cable (There is no other audio out option in TV other than the 3.5mm socket)

2. Google chrome cast directly connected to receiver and HDMI connection to TV

Speaker set up is 5.1.

Now when I play a mkv file from TV, how do I choose the right listening mode (page 36 in above manual)?

There are different Listening mode options like Dolby Pro Logic II,Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height, Dolby EX, DTS-HD Master Audio, Neo:6, THX Cinema etc etc available in the receiver. I am not aware on how to identify the right match between the audio encoding inside the mkv file and what is available inside the receiver.

You are routing TVs audio to receiver via Analog cable that means you would be limited to 2 channel audio. Even if the mkv is encoded with proper surround audio such as AC3, Dolby true hd, dts or dts hd it would be down mixed to 2 channel.
The modes Dolby pro logic II/z, neo 6 simply upmix 2 channel audio to surround audio. These are not true surround formats.
So the answer to the question "what listening mode to select" is simply try out modes and select what sounds best to you. This won't be true surround sound though

If your tv and receiver support ARC(audio return channel) on a HDMI port which I guess they might not, you would be able to route 5.1 audio to receiver using a single hdmi cable.

Last edited by djkher : 17th December 2017 at 13:03.
Old 18th December 2017, 12:56   #3077
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
I have a question of the different audio codecs.

My home theater receiver is Onkyo TX-NR609. I use two sources primarily
1. Play mkv files on the TVs USB input and TVs headphone out to Receiver's TV in via RCA cable (There is no other audio out option in TV other than the 3.5mm socket)
2. Google chrome cast directly connected to receiver and HDMI connection to TV

Speaker set up is 5.1.

Now when I play a mkv file from TV, how do I choose the right listening mode (page 36 in above manual)?

There are different Listening mode options like Dolby Pro Logic II,Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height, Dolby EX, DTS-HD Master Audio, Neo:6, THX Cinema etc etc available in the receiver. I am not aware on how to identify the right match between the audio encoding inside the mkv file and what is available inside the receiver.
Plug in your chromecast to the receiver, and route it's HDMI out to the TV's HDMI in. That way you can get the receiver to decode the audio from chromecast.
Old 18th December 2017, 13:39   #3078
BHPian

Have any of you noticed how recently MKV files don't seem to be working properly? They get choppy and stop altogether after a while. Till a year back, VLC could play all MKVs without issue. The newer ones seem to be more trouble to play. Online forums suggest shifting to other players like KM Player but I did not see any difference. Same thing when Streaming to HT through a Plex server. Cheers.
Old 18th December 2017, 13:42   #3079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Plug in your chromecast to the receiver, and route it's HDMI out to the TV's HDMI in. That way you can get the receiver to decode the audio from chromecast.
Thats how i have it now, but I have not tried playing movies from phone through Chromecast, will try that.

Assuming this works, how do I choose the listening mode? Is there a mapping between the audio encoding in the movie file to the listening mode?? Or the listening modes like the ones mentioned in my post are independent of audio encoding inside mkv file??

( when i tried some YouTube home theatre set up videos via Android phone/chrome cast set up, it wasnt working well, the surround signal was playing on front channels. Not sure if YouTube was having the right audio set up also)
Old 18th December 2017, 14:03   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Assuming this works, how do I choose the listening mode? Is there a mapping between the audio encoding in the movie file to the listening mode?? Or the listening modes like the ones mentioned in my post are independent of audio encoding inside mkv file??
Listening mode is just upmixing. When you play a video/music which has audio encoding in Dolby i.e., 5.1 audio then your receiver will play it as is. If you have a display in the receiver, then the audio decoder info will show up. If not, fiddle with the menu and enable it. This way, you can identify if the file you are playing is true surround or not.

For ex., I have Yamaha HT and the display shows Dolby Digital + when playing MN+ HD. When watching a SD channel, it just shows PCM or the listening mode i have previously selected. Mind you, this listening mode is streaming audio to all your speakers rather than L+R
Old 20th December 2017, 12:18   #3081
BHPian

I purchased a 4K Samsung TV last year and a Samsung soundbar to go with it (HW-K450). I returned the soundbar and got my full money back for it (long story).

Now I am thinking if I should reinvest into Soundbar or a proper 5.1.

I have auditioned Yamaha YAS-107 it sounded good for a bar without a SUB (costs around 19K). And there is an option to attach Active subwoofer which is a big plus. If I add a 8" Active Sub it may cost around 10K - this is bringing me to close to the starting range of 5.1 receiver packages. I have seen the Yamaha 1840 and its costing around 29-30 K. The reason I am more inclined towards Soundbar is because I am staying in a rented place and its simpler to setup and move.

I am willing to stretch initial budget upto 30K - any suggestions for a good receiver with 4K & HDR support and passive SUB support? Thinking of passive as I already have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" SUB in my car which I am plan to use with the receiver.

I have come across the following AV receivers YAMAHA HTR-3067 & Pioneer VSX-330 5.1 CH and both do not support passive SUB.

Suggestions please.
Old 21st December 2017, 17:14   #3082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Have any of you noticed how recently MKV files don't seem to be working properly? They get choppy and stop altogether after a while. Till a year back, VLC could play all MKVs without issue. The newer ones seem to be more trouble to play. Online forums suggest shifting to other players like KM Player but I did not see any difference. Same thing when Streaming to HT through a Plex server. Cheers.
Tried Media Player Classic?
Old 21st December 2017, 17:23   #3083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MKV is just a container. It has nothing to do with the data inside. Of late lot of files are being encoded with h.265 or hevc encoding which can't be played back by old systems without stuttering and frame drops. Maybe the files you are getting are h.265 or hevc encoded.
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:19   #3084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Tried Media Player Classic?
Yes, tried it. Same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
MKV is just a container. It has nothing to do with the data inside. Of late lot of files are being encoded with h.265 or hevc encoding which can't be played back by old systems without stuttering and frame drops. Maybe the files you are getting are h.265 or hevc encoded.
Makes sense. Will check the files i have for codec. .265 would surely put a lot of strain on the CPU, and i have a 'potato level' CPU currently.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:46   #3085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Now I am thinking if I should reinvest into Soundbar or a proper 5.1...
I am willing to stretch initial budget upto 30K - any suggestions for a good receiver with 4K & HDR support and passive SUB support? Thinking of passive as I already have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" SUB in my car which I am plan to use with the receiver.
I am in a similar situation as yours. Almost finalised the YHT 2910, but a friend is suggesting to go for a separate AVR/ speaker combo that would offer more for the same budget.
I am not looking for floor standing speakers. The room size is around 16'x10'

Suggestions for a budget of 40k appreciated. If nothing works out, I would end up finalising the YHT 2910
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:11   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, tried it. Same result.

Makes sense. Will check the files i have for codec. .265 would surely put a lot of strain on the CPU, and i have a 'potato level' CPU currently.
Actually even modern 4 core or higher CPUs can have issues if the files are hevc encoded and high resolution (4k). The only sureshot way of decoding such files is via GPU acceleration. Only GPUs released in the last two years (some Geforce 9xx and all 10xx, Radeon RX400 series or higher) support hevc hardware decoding.
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:20   #3087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Actually even modern 4 core or higher CPUs can have issues if the files are hevc encoded and high resolution (4k). The only sureshot way of decoding such files is via GPU acceleration. Only GPUs released in the last two years (some Geforce 9xx and all 10xx, Radeon RX400 series or higher) support hevc hardware decoding.
I see. Then no wonder these files just cant run on my 1 physical, 2 logical core AMD APU. But all this considering the files I am facing issues with are indeed .265 encoded. If not, I will then suspect Win10.
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:24   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Suggestions for a budget of 40k appreciated. If nothing works out, I would end up finalising the YHT 2910
Just my 2 cents;
1. Get a receiver which support Bluetooth; it makes day to day music play back so much easier.

2. If possible, get a receiver with Internet connectivity. In future we will be dependent on streaming services than we currently are.
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:07   #3089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am in a similar situation as yours. Almost finalised the YHT 2910, but a friend is suggesting to go for a separate AVR/ speaker combo that would offer more for the same budget.
I am not looking for floor standing speakers. The room size is around 16'x10'

I am not sure if I want to invest 40K at this time.

I have been thinking if I just purchase the YAS 107 & Yamaha Sub NS-SW050 for now, in future I can add Amp and make my Soundbar as center channel/Front speakers and add rear speakers.

This is all my thought process I am not sure how this will work out. I need to finalize and purchase the product tomorrow.

I am planning to audition Klipsh speakers if possible tomorrow, I will get back and update you.

Last edited by punto_ : 22nd December 2017 at 14:09.
Old 22nd December 2017, 18:30   #3090
BHPian

Guys, this is not exactly related to home theater but about the power supply of home theater. My soundbar is switched on by a soft switch, the kind that you see on computer. The issue is, whenever we turn off the wall switch and turn on, we have to again press soft switch to power on the sound bar. Is there a way to bypass this soft switch? I want to control the on / off of sound bar from wall switch only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks