Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 11:55   #3181
BANNED

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This soundbar doesn't suit your purpose. Buy one with HDMI input. There are plenty of options out there.
Thanks. Can you please point me to some options?

I don't want to spend too much since my parents don't want an expensive soundbar.

Also is there any other options to connect this soundbar(like buying any converters)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Neither does the TV, isn't it. The TV neither has a HDMI ARC port nor one for the optical cable.

Also, if your TV is really old, would the soundbar be efficient considering the limitation of the TV itself to process modern sound (Dolby/Surround).
The word 'old' was used because its having archaic outputs. It was purchased in May 2018 for parents use.

Last edited by mithun : 11th January 2019 at 12:02.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:02   #3182
Senior - BHPian

Please google 'Soundbar with HDMI options'. You have Panasonic at Rs. 4,000 to Philips at Rs. 8,000. Moving up, you might have options in JBL/Harman. But, Make sure you audition them before purchase. Most just sound flat. I'm using a Bose Solo which costs 17K in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Old 11th January 2019, 12:22   #3183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Please google 'Soundbar with HDMI options'. You have Panasonic at Rs. 4,000 to Philips at Rs. 8,000. Moving up, you might have options in JBL/Harman. But, Make sure you audition them before purchase. Most just sound flat. I'm using a Bose Solo which costs 17K in India.

Thanks for your input.

After seeing this review, I fell in love with the product and from my past experiences, Mi products were always reliable.

1. So, is there any another way out(like buying any converters)?
  2. Will you recommend the 3.5mm audio port connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am feeding the Digital Audio output straight from my Set Top Box to my Yamaha AVR via optical cable. If the usage is primarily going to be TV then this works (I still have my media player and XBOX connected to the AVR either via Coaxial or Optical cables).

Can you please explain more?
Old 11th January 2019, 12:50   #3184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please explain more?
1. From your Set-Top-Box HDMI goes straight to the TV
2. From your Set-Top-Box, either S/PDIF or Optical Cable or Co-axial goes into your sound bar

You can notice in below image that the Set-Top-Box from Airtel has Digital Audio out (S/PDIF):

The Home Theater thread-airtelsetupboxedited611.jpg

This ensures that video is beamed from the source and fed into the TV while Audio needs are taken care by your Sound bar.

In my response, you need to ignore the AV receiver part as you have the required Audio Inputs for the sound bar anyway.

You may only have limited experience while using the sound bar if you end up devices like Chromecast or Amazon Firestick that directly go into the HDMI Port and since your TV doesn't have ARC you cant use the sound bar for the audio here.

But for any other devices you are using with the TV, if they have Digital output (S/PDIF or Co-axial), you can always use these ports and feed lines into the sound bar and leverage better audio (digital) quality.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2019 at 12:54.
Old 11th January 2019, 13:39   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
I am feeding the Digital Audio output straight from my Set Top Box to my Yamaha AVR via optical cable. If the usage is primarily going to be TV then this works (I still have my media player and XBOX connected to the AVR either via Coaxial or Optical cables).
This is one option to connect soundbar, as sometimes there is a delay in voice and picture.

Quote:

I don't want to spend too much since my parents don't want an expensive soundbar.
Quote:
I'm planning to buy the newly launched Mi Soundbar for my old Sanyo TV which is primarily used by parents.
I use the Blaupunkt SBW-01 Dolby Bluetooth Soundbar, i had got this one for 5.5K from Flipkart. Has a sub and sound quality is pretty good for the money. Have connected this straight to my Xbox one X thru fiber optic. I am using a Mi 4 55'' 4K TV so sound bar also can be connected thru bluetooth. I frequently listen to songs too on this thru phone.
Old 11th January 2019, 14:53   #3186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
I use the Blaupunkt SBW-01 Dolby Bluetooth Soundbar, i had got this one for 5.5K from Flipkart. Has a sub and sound quality is pretty good for the money. Have connected this straight to my Xbox one X thru fiber optic. I am using a Mi 4 55'' 4K TV so sound bar also can be connected thru bluetooth. I frequently listen to songs too on this thru phone.
Thanks for the info.

Blaupunkt SBW-01 is having Optical/HDMI(ARC) so it won't fit my needs since my TV lacks those ports.

Quote:
You may only have limited experience while using the sound bar if you end up devices like Chromecast or Amazon Firestick that directly go into the HDMI Port and since your TV doesn't have ARC you cant use the sound bar for the audio here.

But for any other devices you are using with the TV, if they have Digital output (S/PDIF or Co-axial), you can always use these ports and feed lines into the sound bar and leverage better audio (digital) quality.

Thanks.

Seems to be like that I have to resort to any hack(jugaad)

Also I'm having some old Creative 2.1 desktop speakers gathering dust...time to test it :-)

Last edited by mithun : 11th January 2019 at 15:01.
Old 11th January 2019, 15:04   #3187
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Blaupunkt SBW-01 is having Optical/HDMI(ARC) so it won't fit my needs since my TV lacks those ports.
It does have a 3.5mm port, Aux-in.
Old 11th January 2019, 15:18   #3188
BANNED

Quote:
It does have a 3.5mm port, Aux-in.
Yes, but if I connect if via 3.5mm port the sound output will be inferior when compared to other modes, right?
Old 11th January 2019, 15:27   #3189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but if I connect if via 3.5mm port the sound output will be inferior when compared to other modes, right?
Please tell me what is the source you will use for the TV? If it's Set Top Box from any of the providers like Tata Sky Or Airtel remember that you can very much get a digital cable and connect that to your Sound bar and get proper digital sound. This is exactly what I am trying to tell here.
Old 11th January 2019, 15:30   #3190
BANNED

Quote:
Please tell me what is the source you will use for the TV? If it's Set Top Box from any of the providers like Tata Sky Or Airtel remember that you can very much get a digital cable and connect that to your Sound bar and get proper digital sound. This is exactly what I am trying to tell here.
Parents usually watch movies from a USB source like a pen drive/external HDD. In that scenario, the set top box won't be of any use, right?
Old 11th January 2019, 15:57   #3191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Parents usually watch movies from a USB source like a pen drive/external HDD. In that scenario, the set top box won't be of any use, right?
True. In which case your only jugaad which doesn't make great sense today is to pick up a media player that has Digital Audio out.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:06   #3192
BANNED

Quote:
True. In which case your only jugaad which doesn't make great sense today is to pick up a media player that has Digital Audio out.
Did you meant Blu-ray players or Android TV boxes like these: https://www.amazon.in/Cubetek-Portab...=fsclp_pl_dp_1
Old 11th January 2019, 16:43   #3193
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, their will be difference in audio, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Only thing it would do is give you a analog audio, but it will sound a lot different compared to HDMI or Optical when you play movies.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:35   #3194
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, their will be difference in audio, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Only thing it would do is give you a analog audio, but it will sound a lot different compared to HDMI or Optical when you play movies.
Thanks.

In the case of Mi Soundbar, the Line-In port can be digital in some cases, right?

Is that a viable option?

Image Source
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-screenshot_20190113-mi-soundbar-tvs-mobiles-thrilling-cinematic-sound-mi-india.png  

Last edited by mithun : 13th January 2019 at 11:37.
Old 13th January 2019, 16:44   #3195
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

In the case of Mi Soundbar, the Line-In port can be digital in some cases, right?

Is that a viable option?

Image Source

With Line-In both your TV speakers and Soundbar speakers will be powered, ie. both speakers will be on and transmitting sound individually, to change volume TV speakers will use TV remote and soundbar will use its own. Its too irritating at times.

Better option is Aux in this case, your tv can control volume and TV speakers are off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks