Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:46   #3166
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have a 1973 Pioneer SX-434 receiver connected to a Technics direct drive turntable. I guess that qualifies for a retro set-up. It has a Shure cartridge and I love the sound when it sings. Pure analog thing.

Sharing some pictures:
This is epic! Thanks for sharing. When and where did you get this?
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:01   #3167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
This is epic! Thanks for sharing. When and where did you get this?
Dad was a gadget freak during 'his' days! Passed on some stuff and his genes
Have 4 other record players at home apart from this set up.
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:21   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any recommendations for a Home theater (5.1 speakers with Amp) in under 50K?

Hows Onkyo in general? Are they worth putting money. Saw few reviews online where they say that it starts to die down after a year or so, is it?

Any other combinations like Taga Speakers with Denon/Yamaha Amp etc you guys can recommend?
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:33   #3169
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys, any recommendations for a Home theater (5.1 speakers with Amp) in under 50K?

Hows Onkyo in general? Are they worth putting money. Saw few reviews online where they say that it starts to die down after a year or so, is it?

Any other combinations like Taga Speakers with Denon/Yamaha Amp etc you guys can recommend?
Pioneer has some good options within 50K, also Yahama.
You need to do audition and see if they suit your taste.

Taga 5.0 with entry level Denon or Yamaha will go slightly above 50K and also later if you want you can add SW. I thought about this option for a very long time and dropped as could not get any audition locally. if you can get audition locally, you can consider Taga. Will give big speakers that will fill your room nicely

JLS
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:30   #3170
Senior - BHPian

@nitinralli ~ It shows that you based out of Delhi. There are a few good stores in Delhi/Gurgaon where you can go and have a look at whats available. There's Sound by Design and Musica Amor that come to my mind.
Go there, have a look, take some demos and it ll give you an idea on whats available and what comes within your budget.
I can give you a name of an AVR with matching speakers but that is not how buying HIFI works.
Also, Onkyo is as reliable or unreliable as Pioneer, Yamaha or Denon.
Old 27th November 2018, 07:15   #3171
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Aah JBL, so they've moved from Harman in Nexon and Hexa to JBL in the Harrier. This car would so fit right in with me... have a look at the picture of the music system at my apartment.

5.1 JBL Speakers with Harman Kardon AVR 245. Apologies if its a bit OT.
Ooh! I like this OT. What’s that AMP?

The setup looks great. Must sound lovely too!

But just asking, do you think perhaps that the space between the rear of the speaker towers and the wall could be a bit more? And on the side too?
Old 27th November 2018, 22:11   #3172
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ooh! I like this OT. What’s that AMP?

The setup looks great. Must sound lovely too!

But just asking, do you think perhaps that the space between the rear of the speaker towers and the wall could be a bit more? And on the side too?
Thanks for posting this here. Yes, I love the setup. Got it in 2007 from Dubai for a princely sum of approx INR 60K (bless them sales, plus 15K for shipping), the same was being sold in Bombay for over 2.5L.
The AMP is Harman Kardon AVR 245 paired with JBL Northridge series 5.1 channel speaker system. The tower speakers are E90. Don't quite remember the bookshelf and subs model numbers. For wireless connectivity, I've added a Logitech bluetooth receiver.

It's a joy to fire up the system whenever I am around. The bass is deep and in general the speakers sound great. Off late due to my travels these do not get used much, wife being a technophobe does not help. Some of the buttons on the receiver have stopped working and the remote too is acting up. In all these years, I've never got the AVR serviced, but guess will have to do so now. Was also thinking of getting a new AVR, but not sure if that's a good decision.

Regarding the placement, I am constrained by the layout of the living room, so this is the best I could do. Other option would be redo the living room but then that would work out to be too expensive.

Thanks

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 27th November 2018 at 22:14.
Old 27th November 2018, 23:09   #3173
BHPian

Guys, anyone here has used the Onkyo HT-S7800 (https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...system-review/)

The reviews are generally mixed. It's currently being sold at $1k+taxes. Its among the most economical sets when you add DTX and HDCP 2.2. Does the AVR have the capability to be used for the long run (if you add better speakers later)? Any thoughts would be great.
If folks in Canada can chip in with alternatives, it would be great too. My primary use for this is Movies.
Old 28th November 2018, 14:19   #3174
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know there was a difference between a readymade 5.1 home theater system available vs a HiFi system until I landed on this thread. So here goes -

Budget - Around 50k

Environment - 14' x 12' bedroom with good sound dampening due to wooden wall sized wardrobes and extensive woodwork in the bedroom

Purpose - Cinema like sound for Hollywood movies + listening to Popular English/Hindi/Punjabi Pop/Hip-hop

I got a TV cabinet made that will house a 55" TV but has 5' x 1' space to keep speakers/amp etc. I also plan on getting wooden shelves right besides the bed at ear height for that surround sound feel.

Since I'm a complete noob when it comes to HiFi systems I'm not sure where to even start from.

One important thing if it helps, my movies will actually stream from a laptop or desktop with HDMI/VGA cable so not sure what I need to factor in before building a system up.
Old 6th December 2018, 22:35   #3175
BANNED

Hi, I am looking to setup a home theater on a strict budget of 1 Lakh which includes A

projector, 5.1speaker system, 135inch fixed frame screen and wiring.
My understanding is that i need to extend HDMI cable to projector from AV receiver and to
the rear two speakers. Is there a limitation on the length of HDMI cable? My room is 10X18 feet.

My selection
Projector Epson TW650 - 55k
5.1 speaker budget max - 25k
Screen 135 inch fixed frame- 12k
so i will be left with 8k for wiring and room painting

Please give your quick suggestions

1. Any decent 5.1 speaker system with AV receiver below 25k with clean sound without overpowering bass.

2. Paint combination for walls and ceiling(not too dark), will do gypsum boarding on ceiling on small scale for routing cables and led lights.

3. Fixed frame 135 inch screen available at 12k?

4. Any other points?

Last edited by splitsecond : 6th December 2018 at 22:37.
Old 10th December 2018, 07:28   #3176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Hows Onkyo in general? Are they worth putting money. Saw few reviews Online where they say that it starts to die down after a year or so, is it?
I don't think that is fair to say Onkyo dies after few years. I have been using it for over 4 years and it is a workhorse. One of the finest AV system and Onkyo gets by thumbs up.

Here is my setup:
  • LG 47LW5600 3D USB 1080p DLNA LED Smart TV 47" & LG wifi adapter and Passive 3D glasses [Skype, Netflix, Youtube .etc.)
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - DNLA, 3D, SD, Wireless Network enabled Bluray Player
  • LG 4K Code Free Ultra HD Blu-ray Player DVD Player A B C
  • Onkyo TX NR1008 9.2 Channel 945 Watt Receiver
  • Velodyn DPS-12 subwoofer (Updated from Polkaudio subwoofer RM705 100W)
  • Polkaudio RTiA9 front speakers x 2
  • Polkaudio FXiA6 rear surround speakers x 2
  • Polkaudio CSiA6 center speaker
  • Polkaudio RTiA1 bookshelf surround speakers x 2
  • Polkaudio OWM3 front high speakers x 2
  • Polkaudio Monitor Series silver edition floor standing speakers (front wide) x 2
  • Miyama two conductor speaker cables
  • Monster standard S16-4R-CL Standard 16 Guage four conductor speaker cable (wireless receiver)
  • WireLogic Hi-Speed HDMI cable with ethernet x 3
  • Monster subwoofer cable
  • Additionally Apple 4K TV, Amazon FireTV 4K, Google Chromecast Ultra 4K are part of the setup to achieve all the bells and whistles of entertainment.
  • Amazon Prime, Netflix, YuppFlix and over 300 original Bluray and 4K discs to enjoy the content

Last edited by trammway : 10th December 2018 at 07:34.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:24   #3177
BANNED

I'm planning to buy the newly launched Mi Soundbar for my old Sanyo TV which is primarily used by parents.

TV outputs:
  1. 3.5 mm audio port
  2. 2 HDMI ports(not HDMI ARC)
  3. AV OUT
  4. PC Audio IN(don't know its use)
Soundbar inputs:
  1. Optical(Fiber optic cable connectivity)
  2. S/PDIF
  3. Line-In
  4. Aux-In(3.5 mm audio)
I don't want to use 3.5mm audio port since the audio quality will be inferior.

Please guide me on which audio connection to use for the best audio experience.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:31   #3178
Senior - BHPian

This soundbar doesn't suit your purpose. Buy one with HDMI input. There are plenty of options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm planning to buy the newly launched Mi Soundbar for my old Sanyo TV
Old 11th January 2019, 11:41   #3179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Please guide me on which audio connection to use for the best audio experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This soundbar doesn't suit your purpose. Buy one with HDMI input. There are plenty of options out there.
Neither does the TV, isn't it. The TV neither has a HDMI ARC port nor one for the optical cable.

Also, if your TV is really old, would the soundbar be efficient considering the limitation of the TV itself to process modern sound (Dolby/Surround).
Old 11th January 2019, 11:52   #3180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Also, if your TV is really old, would the soundbar be efficient considering the limitation of the TV itself to process modern sound (Dolby/Surround).
I am feeding the Digital Audio output straight from my Set Top Box to my Yamaha AVR via optical cable. If the usage is primarily going to be TV then this works (I still have my media player and XBOX connected to the AVR either via Coaxial or Optical cables).

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2019 at 11:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks