Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 15:07   #2431
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Guys, recently in market to buy a home theater system. Went to a shop in Bangalore and was suggested Onkyo TX-SR 333 with Denon speakers for 41K or with energy speakers for 60K.

Energy speakers sounded better than denon. The sales assistant was suggesting I go with Onkyo receiver than Denon or Yamaha, he was quoting Denon does not have good service support in India and Yamaha is out dated. I do not completely buy that!

So can you please suggest me a good receiver and speaker set up which you have been using. Any recommendations are welcome.
Old 28th July 2015, 16:09   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Guys, recently in market to buy a home theater system. Went to a shop in Bangalore and was suggested Onkyo TX-SR 333 with Denon speakers for 41K or with energy speakers for 60K.

Energy speakers sounded better than denon. The sales assistant was suggesting I go with Onkyo receiver than Denon or Yamaha, he was quoting Denon does not have good service support in India and Yamaha is out dated. I do not completely buy that!

So can you please suggest me a good receiver and speaker set up which you have been using. Any recommendations are welcome.
I have been using Onkyo paired with Pure Acoustics Speakers and found them all right. I did audition them before buying. I also have a Denon Audio System and have sometimes paired them as well.

Denon's are usually very neutral souding speakers, when compared to others. I prefer my audio that way as well. The service for both Onkyo & Denon are good (and expensive )

Last edited by pratyush6 : 28th July 2015 at 16:11.
Old 29th July 2015, 12:24   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I have been using Onkyo paired with Pure Acoustics Speakers and found them all right. I did audition them before buying. I also have a Denon Audio System and have sometimes paired them as well.

Denon's are usually very neutral souding speakers, when compared to others. I prefer my audio that way as well. The service for both Onkyo & Denon are good (and expensive )
Thanks Pratyush! Ya, I too had a similar feeling after listening the audio on Denon speakers. Which Onkyo receiver do you have? The model suggested in by the assistant SR333, seems to be an older one though it does satisfy all the basic needs! I'm also wondering if NR414 would be a better one as compared to this.
Old 29th July 2015, 12:38   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Nice Thread , here is my setup below.

1) Marantz SR 6008 Amp , Sony PS3 Blu Ray player
2) Polk Audio Rti 5 series speakers + Polk Audio DSWi Pro 660 wireless Subwoofer
3) 65 inch Samsung F8500 Plasma TV
4) Fast and Furious entire collection ( Obviously ) , Karate Kid , The Protector.
Old 31st July 2015, 09:19   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Bought Yamaha YHT-299 for 35K from local distributor. Yamaha guy will come today to set it up.
Old 31st July 2015, 10:34   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Bought Yamaha YHT-299 for 35K from local distributor. Yamaha guy will come today to set it up.

I am sure you will like it. In baseline HTIB's, Yamaha 299/2910 is rated one of the best across various forums if your room small/medium size. I also bought it a couple of weeks back and enjoying it thoroughly. Speaker drivers are a bit small, but they sound crisp. If you find them not upto your taste, they can be swapped with upgraded speakers easily.

I have connected my PS4, Yamaha 299 and Tata STB with a Samsung 48" LED and watching movies/playing games is a blissful experience.
Old 31st July 2015, 10:52   #2437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

I am sure you will like it. In baseline HTIB's, Yamaha 299/2910 is rated one of the best across various forums if your room small/medium size. I also bought it a couple of weeks back and enjoying it thoroughly. Speaker drivers are a bit small, but they sound crisp. If you find them not upto your taste, they can be swapped with upgraded speakers easily.
I have connected my PS4, Yamaha 299 and Tata STB with a Samsung 48" LED and watching movies/playing games is a blissful experience.
I am confused right now, I think you can help me in sorting things out :

1) I have 2 unfurnished rooms which are not in use, one is 16x10 ft (LxW) and another one is of 12x10 ft size. What do you think in which room should I setup my home theater. The Yamaha distributor told me to setup in 16x10.

I will be using Projector with screen specifically for movies and this HT will be used only for movies nothing else.

2) What settings is your HT running on? Can you please share them.

3) How have you mounted the speakers in front and rear. Are your surround speakers mounted on side walls or back walls?

Thanks, looking for a BOOM BOOM experience.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:15   #2438
BHPian

The best Speaker at this point in earth for those who can afford them. Its called the Phantom. made after 7 years of research. Its just one single unit which can produce surround sound in the whole room with out need for any wiring or supporting speakers.

seriously its mind blowing. I hope they sell this in India soon
Old 6th August 2015, 04:52   #2439
BHPian

I am in the US and I am planning to buy an AV Receiver to build a music system, but would like to take the receiver back to India when I return. The usual problem of voltage difference comes to mind which could be solved using a step down transformer, however the AC frequency is also different (60Hz vs 50Hz) which most of the voltage converters do not change. Can a 50Hz power supply damage an AC Receiver rated to use with 60Hz AC?
Old 6th August 2015, 07:49   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post
Can a 50Hz power supply damage an AC Receiver rated to use with 60Hz AC?

Just make sure to get a good brand step down. I am using a 1KVA (overkill) step down for a Yamaha receiver I purchased from the U.S. Works fine and is in its 4th year operation now.
I also have a rather cheap (60$) power conditioner from Belkin that supposedly refines the stepped down current, though this is debatable. Never had a problem.
Old 6th August 2015, 14:05   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
I am confused right now, I think you can help me in sorting things out :

1) I have 2 unfurnished rooms which are not in use, one is 16x10 ft (LxW) and another one is of 12x10 ft size. What do you think in which room should I setup my home theater. The Yamaha distributor told me to setup in 16x10.

I will be using Projector with screen specifically for movies and this HT will be used only for movies nothing else.

2) What settings is your HT running on? Can you please share them.

3) How have you mounted the speakers in front and rear. Are your surround speakers mounted on side walls or back walls?

Thanks, looking for a BOOM BOOM experience.
The guy is right rectangular rooms are more suited for Surround sound

The normal set up in the device will help unless you hear time lag between visual and audio

Surround L and R should be mounted on the side wall upto 3 feet above your listening position because you ears will get better sound from the sides than rear

Once you set your system up, move the sub woofer in the same bit of music / movie and place it where you find it at the best

I know the question was not aimed at me but still...

Cheers
Old 6th August 2015, 21:55   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post
Once you set your system up, move the sub woofer in the same bit of music / movie and place it where you find it at the best
I know the question was not aimed at me but still...
Cheers
Thanks man! I got the system installed and calibrated. It rocks!! Now, just waiting for my Optoma HD-141x and Projector screen to arrive.
Old 7th August 2015, 12:07   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man! I got the system installed and calibrated. It rocks!! Now, just waiting for my Optoma HD-141x and Projector screen to arrive.

Happy to hear that your system is going to be completed

Do plan for a separate Stereo system if you are a music lover and like to listen to them the way it has to be

I have an old Yamaha(made in nippon) amp that belts out 130W RMS and Boston A360 and Quadral book shelves

Cheers
Old 7th August 2015, 17:40   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post
Happy to hear that your system is going to be completed
Do plan for a separate Stereo system if you are a music lover and like to listen to them the way it has to be
I have an old Yamaha(made in nippon) amp that belts out 130W RMS and Boston A360 and Quadral book shelves
Cheers
This will be my companion for movies till 2-3 years from here. Then I plan to first upgrade the front 2 speakers and subwoofer followed by AVR, centre and surround.

BTW, do we really need separate stereo for music? Using this system in stereo mode will do the job. Or I am missing some point? With this 5.1 setup we also have a option of lossless 5.1 music, Ain't it?

Last edited by mercedised : 7th August 2015 at 17:44.
Old 7th August 2015, 19:26   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, do we really need separate stereo for music? Using this system in stereo mode will do the job. Or I am missing some point? With this 5.1 setup we also have a option of lossless 5.1 music, Ain't it?

Stereo receivers have dedicated circuits and transformers just for the two channels. Also the RMS rating will be higher

I cant tell anything else but that you have to hear yourself the same music from a stereo amplifier with a good pair of floor standers - all the above holds good if you are a serious music listener

In a proper floor standing speaker, the speaker set up is 3 way compared to the 2 way in normal 5.1 set ups

The diaphragm are bigger and produces more crisp sound and tighter bass(unlike dedicated sub woofers) which important for music

Loseless music about the source and it needs to be amplified and reproduced that is where the amp and speaker comes to play

In amplifiers we have classes to distinguish the level of their efficiency

If my points are going over the head, I am sorry

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks