Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2016, 16:54   #2581
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BHPians,

Please help out with suggestions.

- Sound quality more important than outright volume. Need deep bass, nice treble. Desired sound effect should be like those lounges.

- Should I go for a 2.1 or 5.1? Will a system like this meet the requirement? Is the Yamaha 299 good for music (or only movies)? My usage will be 100% music.

- Will the music play out of all 5 speakers or only 2 (would like all 5)?

- Open to any options, but sound & bass should be rich.

Thanks in advance!
GTO, I took a look at your requirements again, and if you are looking for background music while working then my suggestions may not be the best.

Since your usage is 100% music, any decent 2.1 setup should suffice (lots of good ones suggested, but please hear them first). I might be stepping on some toes here, but a 5.1 is usually best with movies and with your budget a good 2.1 (quality) will easily beat a 5.1 (quantity).

Room acoustics also play a big part in the quality of the sound (just like damping in a car), and it's great fun playing around with rugs and panels on the wall to tighten up the sound if required.

Good luck.
Old 31st July 2016, 12:07   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I am looking to buy a stereo amplifier in the range of 10 to 12 Thousand rupees to drive a pair of polk audio tsi300 speakers.
http://www.norgeaudio.com/portfolio-item/norge-2060/

This Norge Amplifier should easily drive your Polk Audio speakers. Do note that they look a little crude and are not anything remotely high grade. For the money, you are not going to find anything better. Norge is an old name in the audio business. The amplifier I suggested will cost you around Rs. 8000. The Tsi300 is a sensitive speaker so I doubt if you will need any more power than a 60 watt amplifier. The company can add a wireless remote transmitter for a small cost. Norge do not retail online but they do ship. You will have to call or email them.
Old 31st July 2016, 12:57   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Quick question.
Speakers for my parents samsung led aren't working well. So, instead of opening the led and getting them replaced I am thinking of attaching external ones. Any suggestions which are cost effective and gives good enough volume as well?
Old 31st July 2016, 16:32   #2584
BHPian

https://pioneer-india.in/product/htp...specifications
am comparing this with audioengine A2/A5 plus A8 sub.
which is better combo? pioneer or audioengine?
bedroom setup and purely looking for deep bass.no movies.
Old 31st July 2016, 20:13   #2585
BHPian

I am starting my DIY home theater project in phases. This will be in a 10x15 dedicated home theater room.

Phase-1 - Atmos ready AV receiver
Ordered Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050 today. Paid in full at Thomson Music store and expecting delivery at home tomorrow.
Planning to reuse my old Panasonic 5.1 speakers for the time being. They are 250W at 6 ohm speakers.
This month will go in preparing the room, hook this up with my old Plasma TV and 5.1 speaker setup.

Phase-2 - Home Theater Projector
Planning this in Aug. I haven't finalized the projector yet. Looking for suggestion from experts. I may have to go for a short throw considering my room size. Budget is in the range of 1-1.5L

Phase-3 - Recliners, refrigerator etc.
This will be early 2017 again. Planning to use my existing sofa that is lying free after an upgrade in living room until then.

Phase-4 - Speaker upgrades and Atmos/DTS-X setup
This will be early 2017. Will setup 7.1.2 and upgrade the front and center speakers. Old speakers will go for rear and atmos. I will know if I need an upgrade for the sub by then.
Again suggestions are welcome for front floor standing and center speakers. I am thinking of Polk RTi A7 or Yamaha NS 777
Old 31st July 2016, 21:26   #2586
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need a sound system for an office room of about 160 sq ft.

- Sound quality more important than outright volume. Need deep bass, nice treble. Desired sound effect should be like those lounges.
I will recommend you to check something with Bose, you can pick something as small as a wave radio

https://www.boseindia.com/en_in/prod...o_black_in_uae

or a 2 speaker Acoustimass like

https://www.boseindia.com/en_in/prod...#v=am5_v_black

Or my personal favourite - Mu-so from Naim , I have one in my office

https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so

They have a smaller one now as well

https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so-qb

There is a Naim dealer in Mumbai.

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st July 2016 at 21:52.
Old 31st July 2016, 22:07   #2587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Quick question.
Speakers for my parents samsung led aren't working well. So, instead of opening the led and getting them replaced I am thinking of attaching external ones. Any suggestions which are cost effective and gives good enough volume as well?
A good solution would be to go for a soundbar/tower speakers. Amongst cost effective solutions, F&D provide good value for money. Check out F&D T400x system. My friend owns this and sound is very good for the price of 10k. If the budget is lower, even then it might be worth checking out F&D as they provide real good value under 10k.
Old 1st August 2016, 00:28   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
http://www.norgeaudio.com/portfolio-item/norge-2060/

This Norge Amplifier should easily drive your Polk Audio speakers. Do note that they look a little crude and are not anything remotely high grade. For the money, you are not going to find anything better. Norge is an old name in the audio business. The amplifier I suggested will cost you around Rs. 8000.
Thanks Sandeep, sounds promising. I will ping them.

By the way, have you heard of Amar Chauhan? This guy sells amplifiers under the brand name of Vaani. These used to be available earlier on eBay, but for some reason aren't there anymore.
Old 1st August 2016, 07:51   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sandeep, sounds promising. I will ping them.
Anything from Norge was actually considered to be premium in the 80's along with Arphi speakers.

You may also want to look at the link below for some deals
http://www.hifimart.com/
Old 1st August 2016, 08:41   #2590
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Many thanks for the suggestions, guys! After reading your posts, I'm becoming more inclined toward a good 2.1 system rather than a 5.1.

If I go for 2 speakers, they'll be floor-standing. Always loved how those look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
If you really want to get funky, and can spend a lot more + a decent amp you can get the "The World's Best Desktop Speaker System" according to some reviews. Cousin above has the bigger brothers in his main system and it has highs and mids to die for.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie
Nice, but not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
For a 160 Sq. ft office, how about the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III (which come with wireless connectivity).
Looking for something with more capability. But yes, those indeed sound great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
After that, it depends on how you like your music. Do you want the original reproduction or do you want color (emebellishments like slightly more bass more treble, etc.) in your music? I prefer the former and that is why I use studio monitors.
Naah, I'm not a purist. My ideal audio tune is the type you see in nightclubs (heavy bass, good treble).

Quote:
The Yamaha seems to be an overkill as you don't seem to need 4K switching and a host of other features that a typical home theater needs.
Thanks! Plan dropped.

Quote:
Whatever you decide to buy, I strongly recommend you hear it first preferably with your own laptop. Please also bear in mind that sound quality has no relation to loudness, unscrupulous dealers will increase loudness to coax you into buying something they want to sell.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Okay, putting links of few of the models to make things easier for you
Thanks bud.

Quote:
Just note that if you plan to add sub at alter stage, then make sure there is provision to add the sub in the amp.
Noted! Great tip.

Quote:
Spending time and money on home audio is far more rewarding than car, you can have heavenly experience in much lesser money than expensive yet unsatisfactory car audio.
You can say that again.

Quote:
Keeping this in mind, the Bose SoundTouch 30 (Aptx supported) comes highly recommended.

Check out the Marshall Woburn too.
My brother has a Marshall box that we use for terrace parties. Seriously good sound from a small box.

Quote:
Absolutely agree with this statement. I would go one step further and say try and hear the speakers in your room if possible.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Anyway I know you like bass and plenty of it. So I am going to suggest a model that NO audiophile worth his salt with recommend - the Pioneer RS49. https://pioneer-india.in/product/htp...specifications
Street price 45-50K.
Shortlisted, thanks!

Quote:
Since your usage is 100% music, any decent 2.1 setup should suffice (lots of good ones suggested, but please hear them first).
Yep, am now keen on a 2.1 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will recommend you to check something with Bose, you can pick something as small as a wave radio
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 1st August 2016, 09:25   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy a stereo amplifier in the range of 10 to 12 Thousand rupees to drive a pair of polk audio tsi300 speakers. Would love to have an update on the options.
Taga Harmony and Cambridge Audio have some budget amplifiers.

Quote:
If I go for 2 speakers, they'll be floor-standing. Always loved how those look
If its a floor-standing then I don't think you need a sub at all for music listening in room size you mentioned.

Polk recently introduced new T50 in the budget range which is said to be reply to highly praised budget set SP-FS52 designed by Andrew Jones for Pioneer. But since you mentioned the 'looks', Pioneers look just plain ugly against T50 which feels upmarket product.

Polk have their own 'colored' tone and usually have deeper bass response, same case with T50 as well according to reviews. Some spikes in the high freq range also can be noticed in the measurement graph. This character matches to the requirement of boost in bass and treble you mentioned. Spike in the mid-range can be taken care with little bit of equalization. If you happen to check them then please update us with your feedback.

Freq response graph of T50, impressive bass response which goes below 40hz:

The Home Theater thread-polkt50frthumb650xauto14811.jpg
Source

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st August 2016 at 09:42.
Old 1st August 2016, 09:30   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
BHPians,

Please help out with suggestions.

- Need a sound system for an office room of about 160 sq ft.

- My laptop will supply the music via AUX. Will Bluetooth bring better SQ? Then Bluetooth.

- System for 30 - 40k okay? Or need to increase the budget?

- Should I go for a 2.1 or 5.1? Will a system like this meet the requirement? Is the Yamaha 299 good for music (or only movies)? My usage will be 100% music.

- Will the music play out of all 5 speakers or only 2 (would like all 5)?

- Open to any options, but sound & bass should be rich.

Thanks in advance!
Here is my take on your requirement.

Music - 2.0 only or as an overkill 2.1 - 5.1 is for movies
Bluetooth - inferior way to transmit and listen to music - exception maybe aptX, rather connect thru. USB
You mentioned the source as laptop - question - What is the quality of music on the laptop - mp3, (128, 320, 64), FLAC etc. The answer here is linked to the point above - if its mp3 then bluetooth may suffice
I would recommend a AIO system - MCR510 or Minx Xi - they have everything - BT, Wifi, internet radio etc.
Speakers - as you have a preference for bass and treble a small floor standers will be good - Zensor 5 or perhaps a large bookshelf - Zensor 3

I have had or currently own the brands mentioned.

Now the downer - all the above will not come in your budget - you would have to double it (atleast) but then this maybe a long term investment.\

Hope this helps.
Old 1st August 2016, 13:33   #2593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am looking to buy a stereo amplifier in the range of 10 to 12 Thousand rupees to drive a pair of polk audio tsi300 speakers. Would love to have an update on the options.
Quote:
http://www.norgeaudio.com/portfolio-item/norge-2060/..The company can add a wireless remote transmitter for a small cost. Norge do not retail online but they do ship. You will have to call or email them.
I will second Norge (aka Eastern Electronics). The owner Shyam Bajaj passed away some time ago so I don't know if they are still in business and who is running the show. Their operations were pretty small. Now that Shyam is gone, Sushil is literally the last man standing from that generation (Sushil must be 74 or 75 now).

Quote:
Since your usage is 100% music, any decent 2.1 setup should suffice (lots of good ones suggested, but please hear them first).
Quote:
I'm becoming more inclined toward a good 2.1 system rather than a 5.1. If I go for 2 speakers, they'll be floor-standing. Always loved how those look.
GTO, remember even floor standing speakers with lets say dual 6" or 8" woofers will not provide the BOOM bass that a dedicated subwoofer can. if you are going 2.1 you will need to find an integrated amplifier that has a "pre out" so you can drive an active subwoofer from the "pre out". I know some Arcam, Yamaha (natural sound series), Marantz, Rotel, NAD etc amplifers have pre-outs that can be used this way.

This feature is usually designed for adding a power amp in a biamped configuration with a power amp or adding a power amp later and using the integrated as a preamp. But one can use it as a subwoofer out by letting the low pass crossover in the active subwoofer do the "LFE" duty. Hence you get 2.1 but your main speakers will get a full range signal and must be capable of reproducing full-range - most floor standing speakers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
https://pioneer-india.in/product/htp...specifications
am comparing this with audioengine A2/A5 plus A8 sub.
which is better combo? pioneer or audioengine?
bedroom setup and purely looking for deep bass.no movies.
LOL firstly there is a significant price difference between those set ups (A5+A8) vs RS49. Secondly it is like comparing a Ferrari to a Mack truck. The Audioengine system is more subtle. Pioneer's audience is the BOOM-Tizz folk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I am starting my DIY home theater project in phases. This will be in a 10x15 dedicated home theater room.

Phase-1 - Atmos ready AV receiver
Ordered Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050 today.

Phase-2 - Home Theater Projector
Planning this in Aug. I haven't finalized the projector yet.

Phase-4 - Speaker upgrades and Atmos/DTS-X setup
Again suggestions are welcome for front floor standing and center speakers. I am thinking of Polk RTi A7 or Yamaha NS 777
One disadvantage of a projector is that it's brightness is dependent on room light. Ambient light makes the picture look faded. Hence I used a large Plasma TV instead. The other reason was a ceiling mounted projector would look ugly if mounted too low and it's picture would be interrupted by a ceiling fan if it was mounted too high. So take this into consideration.

For the speakers look at packages from KEF, Focal, Monitor Audio, PSB, Paradigm, B&W etc. I did a study of all these brands and a few more like Magnepalanar (they have some service issues in dusty humid conditions) and Sonus Faber (probably the closest to my liking) in the 5L (for 7.1 channels) range in 2012 and found nothing that I liked. Anything I liked would have cost me 8L or more (for 7.1 channels). Eventually I built my own speakers using drivers from SEAS, ScanSpeak, TC Sound, Fountek, and RAAL and some help from Rick Craig. Given that I paid retail prices for all the parts and hired a carpenter and also paid Rick for his services I estimate I got about 50% saving on a similar system from a commercial manufacturer.

Last edited by navin : 1st August 2016 at 13:46.
Old 1st August 2016, 14:01   #2594
BHPian

Quote:
Eventually I built my own speakers using drivers from SEAS, ScanSpeak, TC Sound, Fountek, and RAAL and some help from Rick Craig.
Can you please share more details of your build? Especially interested to know about Fountek. I am also looking to start a DIY project in few months. Currently eyeing on Dayton Audio DC160-8 woofer and Dayton DC28F silk dome tweeter. But skeptical about low end of the woofer which is not as low as I want (I want atleast 60hz) and high end of the tweeter (there is slight dip around 14khz). Don't know much about Fountek.

Currently haven't decided if it will be a pair of Bookshelf or floor-standers since space is constraint for me. I won't be able to make space for FS at ideal location so most will try to stick with bookshelf if can archive desired flat response starting from 60hz. If this goes well then I will replace all the 5 speakers (need more powerful and sensitive set) of my current 5.1 setup, sub is doing okay so will retain it.
Old 1st August 2016, 14:14   #2595
BHPian

Quote:

For the speakers look at packages from KEF, Focal, Monitor Audio, PSB, Paradigm, B&W etc. I did a study of all these brands and a few more like Magnepalanar (they have some service issues in dusty humid conditions) and Sonus Faber (probably the closest to my liking) in the 5L (for 7.1 channels) range in 2012 and found nothing that I liked. Anything I liked would have cost me 8L or more (for 7.1 channels). Eventually I built my own speakers using drivers from SEAS, ScanSpeak, TC Sound, Fountek, and RAAL and some help from Rick Craig. Given that I paid retail prices for all the parts and hired a carpenter and also paid Rick for his services I estimate I got about 50% saving on a similar system from a commercial manufacturer.
Nice to see someone else go the DIY route for similar reasons.

I took the plunge about 5 years ago and did it the hard way with only the internet and some basic softwares for help. Took about a year, lots of cursing and constant tweaks to the crossover to get it right, but it was worth it in the end because the satisfaction I get every time I turn on my system now is immeasurable.

+100 to the Plasma.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks