Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2016, 17:56   #2716
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

looking source for my audioengine A5.should i go for W1?(6.5k) and play via i pod?
second option is audioengine d1(22k) but for this i will have to turn on my pc every time i want to use the speakers.
also planning to add active sub
what options should i consider apart from as8?(52k)
kindly suggest.
Old 10th September 2016, 18:09   #2717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Your Sony AVR will have one of the HDMI ports marked ARC, use this to connect the HDMI cable and connect the other end to the HDMI port of your LG TV that is marked for ARC (Check TV manual if not clear, usually one of the HDMI ports will be designated for ARC).
To test this, turn TV and AVR on and select the Home theater or similar option on the TVs speaker or audio menu and you should hear sound on your home theatre speakers.
As I said, the connections at TV and Sony end are correctly done, the settings in TV for audio is selected as External speakers (Optical/HDMI). When I play movies from the USB connected to the TV, the output is clear. However I am unable to play the cable output from the TV to Speakers. The STB is connected to another HDMI port on the TV. I will have to keep switching between external and TV speakers.
Old 10th September 2016, 19:16   #2718
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The STB is connected to another HDMI port on the TV. I will have to keep switching between external and TV speakers.
I have a very similar setup - STB is connected to TV not AVR. And works fine. I can choose cable TV channels and have the audio either play on the TV speakers or HT speakers.
Do check your AVR settings - I think my Onkyo had a setting to turn ARC on/off, that may be off in your Sony.

Last edited by NPV : 10th September 2016 at 19:18.
Old 11th September 2016, 16:35   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Experts,

Am I doing something wrong in the connections? How to resolve this issue? Have raised this with Sony Service centre, they are yet to respond.
Not an expert, but, are you using a Smart TV?
Check if there is a setting on TV to transmit sound as PCM or Dolby. Try with both. Also there will be a setting for Home Theater and Speakers. Try both.
Also, if Smart TV, try playing Youtube and see if that sound comes out.

Last edited by S_U_N : 11th September 2016 at 16:38.
Old 11th September 2016, 17:05   #2720
BHPian

There are really two paths here.

Raw audio stream from STB or TV goes to AV receiver and the receiver has the various Dolby codecs to decode and convert to analog which is further amplified.

TV decoders, convert raw audio into PCM and then the receiver DAC converts it into analog.

HD TVs will have the common decoders and hence the path from TV (PCM stream) to receiver works fine for most cases.

To have the decoding done on the receiver, you will have to work with the settings and it also depends on the capabilities of the AVR.

Personally I take the optical out (decoded PCM stream) from the TV and feed it to a cheap FIIO D03K to convert to analog which is then fed to an amp and stereo speakers. Sufficient for me.
Old 11th September 2016, 17:10   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
looking source for my audioengine A5.should i go for W1?(6.5k) and play via i pod?
second option is audioengine d1(22k) but for this i will have to turn on my pc every time i want to use the speakers.
also planning to add active sub
what options should i consider apart from as8?(52k)
kindly suggest.
Audioengine A5 has a bluetooth receiver right? Try pairing it with an android or iphone with a music app. Should work fine.

Quote:
As I said, the connections at TV and Sony end are correctly done, the settings in TV for audio is selected as External speakers (Optical/HDMI). When I play movies from the USB connected to the TV, the output is clear. However I am unable to play the cable output from the TV to Speakers. The STB is connected to another HDMI port on the TV. I will have to keep switching between external and TV speakers.
Did you try this path? STB HDMI > AVR HDMI > TV

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th September 2016 at 13:43. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the "MULTIQUOTE" feature in the future. Thanks.
Old 11th September 2016, 19:58   #2722
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Good your family enjoyed the audio. With the center, sub and rears added it will be another level.
Look forward to it!

Quote:
The 250C is the matching center for both the 440 towers and 550 towers.
Will place an order tomorrow. Thanks!

Quote:
Hey you did recommend the Camry. I had a 10L budget! This is payback.
Touché

Quote:
I'd add Platoon too
Ah, my father would've loved Platoon. He was a big fan of war movies. How I miss him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
If it was me, I would get spikes/cones for all speakers and equipment, but you can start with the sub.
Thanks!
Old 11th September 2016, 22:23   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
Audioengine A5 has a bluetooth receiver right? Try pairing it with an android or iphone with a music app. Should work fine.
no i need to get audioengine w1 for the same.
im thinking of apple airport express for almost same price.
still suggestions welcome!
Old 12th September 2016, 08:04   #2724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Not an expert, but, are you using a Smart TV?
Check if there is a setting on TV to transmit sound as PCM or Dolby. Try with both. Also there will be a setting for Home Theater and Speakers. Try both.
Also, if Smart TV, try playing Youtube and see if that sound comes out.
It is a Smart TV. There is an option to select either Auto or PCM when I choose External speakers through Optical/HDMI. Have tried both options but result are not what I expected to be. While playing around, the best setting I could get was with STB volume at max, I could control the volumes at the Sony system. but the max on Sony is reached far more quickly. The technician who visited my place expressed his helplessness to further resolve the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
Did you try this path? STB HDMI > AVR HDMI > TV
With this I would not be able to play the movies on DVD/CD on the Sony system. Had also tried using the RCA output from Setup box to Sony but results are still the same.

The present set up is:
Sony HDMI ARC out to TV HDMI ARC In
TV Optical to Sony Optical
Old 12th September 2016, 12:49   #2725
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For ARC to work, you don't need the TV Optical to Sony Optical connection, the whole idea is that the HDMI cable that carries the signal "Out" from the Source (your Sony AVR) also carries Audio "In" from TV to AVR when TV becomes Source.

Did you check if there are any ARC settings (in Onkyo it is called the RIHD setting I think) in your Sony Receiver ? Look for something similar.
Also check if the HDMI cable is HDMI 1.4

*On the Sony AVR, check what the setting for audio source for the TV is - Optical or HDMI/ARC

I suggest you disconnect the optical cable and then try the above settings.

Last edited by NPV : 12th September 2016 at 12:56.
Old 13th September 2016, 12:41   #2726
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will place an order tomorrow. Thanks!
As pleased as I am with ProFX and their staff, they are too darn SLOW when it comes to deliveries. The subwoofer isn't in stock and it looks like it'll be another week before it arrives.

This, in a time when I can buy a subwoofer from Amazon and it'll be with me in 24 hours (Amazon Prime).

The 440s had also taken 5 days (from order to delivery).
Old 15th September 2016, 18:57   #2727
BHPian

I am trying to configure a home system for me and would like to audition some systems. Is there a good place in Thane where I can go? There was a nice store in Viviana mall but that is now no longer in service.

If not Thane, then will go to Mumbai on the weekend. Any other store in addition to ProFx?
Old 16th September 2016, 01:12   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a Smart TV. There is an option to select either Auto or PCM when I choose External speakers through Optical/HDMI. Have tried both options but result are not what I expected to be. While playing around, the best setting I could get was with STB volume at max, I could control the volumes at the Sony system. but the max on Sony is reached far more quickly. The technician who visited my place expressed his helplessness to further resolve the issue.

With this I would not be able to play the movies on DVD/CD on the Sony system. Had also tried using the RCA output from Setup box to Sony but results are still the same.

The present set up is:

OK. I see that you have now introduced the STB in the equation.
As NPV said, there could a HDMI cable problem as well.
You mentioned that from TV when you connect via optical to your Sony HT, the output is very feeble.
Do you have any other set of powered speakers to test? If yes, you could buy a DAC and connect the optical out from the TV to this box. Then output would be analogue stereo which plugs in any standard powered speaker.
I know this will cost money, but that is a way to confirm that indeed your LG TV is doing it's job properly.

DAC I use is: FiiO D03K Optical to Stereo Audio Converter
Old 16th September 2016, 01:32   #2729
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not much of a sound guy, but if I had to have one I'd want this in my lounge+study :

What a design, nobody does it like Bang & Olufsen, the volume controls are touch based over the top rim of the circle.. move it right to increase, left to decrease and tap on centre to stop. Incredible quality also as one can see, a sheer work of art. Will perfectly compliment the recliners and abstract art in the room. Its pricing is another level though.. way, way beyond what I'd want to spend (3.5L).
Old 16th September 2016, 05:32   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I was looking at the AVR as I could look at adding 5.1ch capability by adding the surround speakers after a year or so. This way the setup is staggered and I change/upgrade stuff in a staggered manner.

The stereo amps will ofcourse do a better job but I figured it's better to start off with an all in one and then see if I need special hardware for improving the setup.

The BA A26 reviews seem to be very good and Amazon has them for 13K. Very tempting!

Aren't the Wharfedale 10.1 and 10.2 the older models vs the new Diamond 220. From all the reviews I've heard they are laid back and warm on the audio front and that's not what I am looking for. I prefer punchier sound like the Zensor 3 which was a little bright as well as punchy.

Here's the combos I've worked out based on budget:

1. Marantz NR 1506 + Polk TSX220b
2. Marantz NR 1506 + Dali Zensor 1
3. Denon AV-X520BT + Elac B6
4. Denon AV-X520BT + Dali Zensor 3

Will finalize after listening to the Polk's, Elac B6 and Zensor 1 over the coming days.
NR 1506 is great, I have its younger brother 1504. Avoid 520BT(lacks some long term features and connectivity. Almost an HTiB receiver in my opinion). NR series come with 50w discrete amplification, which seems little, but is more than enough for most applications and speakers. See that your speakers are fairly efficient, i.e 88db and above at 8Ohms you are good. Lower sensitivity and the amp will struggle.

If you are thinking of a stereo amp, look for one with separate Pre and Main sections. That ways in future the Pre Out of a receiver can be fed directly into the Mains In of the stereo amp making it a power amp, avoiding two Pre Out stages and volume matching issues.

Rule out B6. Its an excellent speaker, however, its best with a beefy stereo amp, not a receiver. I had a pair for 2 months bought from Modern World, Domlur. 1504 just didn't do justice to it. The new buyer uses them with a Peachtree amp and boy do they sing.

With the 1506 consider Zensor 1/3, Kef Q300, Q Acoustics 3020/Concept 20, Polk Audio RTi A1/A3. Polk TSx series are good, but the upgrade bug will hit sooner. Rti Series are much better. All these will need a Sub.

Quote:
Got this bad boy home today. The Denon X2200. Fired up the Polks for the first time and already enjoyed a show on YouTube. Must say, the combination offers sound depth & clarity that is incredibly satisfying. Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Going to add a subwoofer soon.
Excellent decision. That receiver should keep you happy for a couple of years. The speakers will open up as you run them in. Check the manual for how long these speakers take to run in. I would have suggested you to wait till these speakers are broken in. The sound will open up by then.

Quote:
As pleased as I am with ProFX and their staff, they are too darn SLOW when it comes to deliveries. The subwoofer isn't in stock and it looks like it'll be another week before it arrives.

This, in a time when I can buy a subwoofer from Amazon and it'll be with me in 24 hours (Amazon Prime).

The 440s had also taken 5 days (from order to delivery).
See if they have 550 in stock. Thats also a very good sub.

MaSh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks