Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 21:37   #2836
BHPian

I have an AV receiver but monthly listen to music. Can I connect my two floor standing speakers and subwoofer to the receiver and a stereo amplifier at the same time? I will drive only from one amp at a time.
Old 8th November 2016, 06:13   #2837
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I have a pair of Polk Audio TSI 300 speakers and I am looking for a suitable stereo amplifier for them. I have zeroed down on to Marantz PM 50005 and Norge 2060. While I will get to buy Marantz from a dealer with 1 year warranty, Norge 2060 will be shipped from Mumbai by Norge. I believe Norge 2060 costs ~ Rs. 11,000/- while Marantz PM5005 will come to around Rs. 22,000.

Request inputs on which of them will be a better option.
I have not heard the Marantz, but going with it's popularity online, it should be a good bet with more connectivity options over the Norge plus the remote. I too was looking around for a good stereo Amp for my Diamond 220s and finally ended up with the Norge 2060. It costed my 10.5K+600 shipping to Hyderabad. I'm very satisfied with the buy and it drives the 220s real well. It doesn't come with a remote by default though. You can opt for it for an additional 2K but will only have volume up-down functions which I do not feel is worth it.

Other Amps I shortlisted:
Marantz 5005, Yamaha R-S202BL. Looked initially at some DAC amplifiers from Amazon US, but then decided to go with the Desi brand. I'm not complaining.
Old 8th November 2016, 13:22   #2838
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a pair of Polk Audio TSI 300 speakers and I am looking for a suitable stereo amplifier for them. I have zeroed down on to Marantz PM 50005 and Norge 2060.
2 very different animals. Have you seen and heard both?
Old 8th November 2016, 14:40   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I have not heard the Marantz, but going with it's popularity online, it should be a good bet with more connectivity options over the Norge plus the remote. I too was looking around for a good stereo Amp for my Diamond 220s and finally ended up with the Norge 2060. It costed my 10.5K+600 shipping to Hyderabad. I'm very satisfied with the buy and it drives the 220s real well. It doesn't come with a remote by default though. You can opt for it for an additional 2K but will only have volume up-down functions which I do not feel is worth it
Thanks jayded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2 very different animals. Have you seen and heard both?
No, I haven't heard either of them. I believe I can get a listen in to Marantz. But not sure about Norge.

I like my sound to be sweet and not too bassy. Not sure if that helps to zero down on the amp.

Last edited by civic-dk : 8th November 2016 at 14:42.
Old 8th November 2016, 20:43   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone has experience with soundbars? I'm trying to add a soundbar to my new LG TV. The TV audio is good enough, but I want to add a soundbar for that extra bass and clarity. My budget is around 35K and my options based on some research online, are
1. Philips HTL5160B
2. Vizio SB3821-C6, ordering on ebay.com, shipped from US.
3. JBL SB350
4. Sony HT-CT790

I'm only looking at soundbars with a separate wireless Subwoofer. Has anyone used any of the above? How would you rate them? I'm mainly looking for a more musical bar with tight bass than an all-out movie sound effect.
Which one did you finalize? Also, is the Philips 5160 already available online in India?
Old 8th November 2016, 21:48   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Which one did you finalize? Also, is the Philips 5160 already available online in India?
I auditioned couple of Philips and JBL models, however was not satisfied by the overall sound from them. Finally decided to go with a stereo setup and ended up getting a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220s, powered by a Norge 2060 integrated amplifier.

I think some online sites do sell the 5160s.
Old 9th November 2016, 12:00   #2842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, I haven't heard either of them. I believe I can get a listen in to Marantz. But not sure about Norge.

I like my sound to be sweet and not too bassy. Not sure if that helps to zero down on the amp.
The original owner of Norge (aka Eastern Electronics) Shyam Bajaj passed away last year. I believe a trusted employee, Laxman along with Shyam's daughter and son-in-law who are based in Hyderabad are running it now (Shyam was a widower). Maybe you can contact them directly. http://www.norgeaudio.com/amplifiers/
Old 9th November 2016, 14:53   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have zeroed down on to Marantz PM 50005 and Norge 2060.
While it is important to hear the amplifiers, one look at the Marantz and you'll be sold on it. It is in different league when it comes to build quality. I'd say, unfair to compare to a Norge. It costs twice over too.

Norge is more garage assembled. Not to be compared to production line models. Nothing wrong with this. Lyrita, at quite a premium looked quite similar on the insides though the sound was supposed to be good.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th November 2016 at 14:57.
Old 22nd November 2016, 16:25   #2844
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

I strongly recommend this platform for your subwoofer.

Before, my hall's windows & glass cabinets used to vibrate at volume level 60. Now, they don't even at 70. Bass is nice & tight. Very high quality product.

The Home Theater thread-20161121-22.49.23.jpg
Old 25th November 2016, 19:57   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure it came down to 14K? or are you talking about SB150? The SB350 is hovering around 25K in Snapdeal and Amazon is 30K.
Yes. Pretty sure. But that day has never come back.

But now I see that you have already looked at the 350 and did not like it.
Of course, 40K-45K is a lot of money for that product.
Old 26th November 2016, 09:21   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

I strongly recommend this platform for your subwoofer.

Before, my hall's windows & glass cabinets used to vibrate at volume level 60. Now, they don't even at 70. Bass is nice & tight. Very high quality product.

Attachment 1577611
Good product.
For those who do not want to shell out as much you can try out the
DIY version

There are lots of DIY's out there.
Old 29th November 2016, 15:29   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Congrats Pradeep on the steal deal. Lucky you. I think you made a right choice supported by an expert friend. Can you post some pics of the set up?
Thank You Mate,
Sorry for the delayed response, I will share the pictures soon .

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Old 29th November 2016, 18:43   #2848
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
I auditioned couple of Philips and JBL models, however was not satisfied by the overall sound from them. Finally decided to go with a stereo setup and ended up getting a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220s, powered by a Norge 2060 integrated amplifier.

I think some online sites do sell the 5160s.
I have the HarmanKardon SB26 https://harmanaudio.in/harman-kardon...sound-bar.html.

The soundbar has two subwoofers [For lows and mids] and two tweeters, so 6 drivers in the bar plus one 10" wireless downfiring subwoofer. Though this is beyond your budget, you can try a demo of it. I had paid 50K around 6 months back. Though not perfect [a soundbar is always a compromise], but this thing can make the window glasses crackle.
Old 30th November 2016, 18:50   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I have the HarmanKardon SB26 https://harmanaudio.in/harman-kardon...sound-bar.html.

The soundbar has two subwoofers [For lows and mids] and two tweeters, so 6 drivers in the bar plus one 10" wireless downfiring subwoofer. Though this is beyond your budget, you can try a demo of it. I had paid 50K around 6 months back. Though not perfect [a soundbar is always a compromise], but this thing can make the window glasses crackle.
Sure rbp, I will try to get an audition of the SB26. Though I've already got myself a stereo setup for now, I'll be happy to hear a worthy soundbar. Looks like SB26 is a bass heavy unit.
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:40   #2850
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Sure rbp, I will try to get an audition of the SB26. Though I've already got myself a stereo setup for now, I'll be happy to hear a worthy soundbar. Looks like SB26 is a bass heavy unit.
I wouldn't call it a bass heavy unit. The bass can be turned up or down based on your preference. While watching movies that thing does make the scene more impactful, the rumbling of cars and bikes is something to be heard. It still surprises me how the small speakers in the bar can make so much sound. One thing I would like to mention, no matter how much volume I crank up, there is zero distortion from the speakers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks